Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

And they're selling Metroid II on the 3DS eShop I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, I've got it on my 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I only know about America but factory shrink games are sealed with a single solid sheet of plastic that's cut and folded along the top and bottom forming a y-shaped seal on both edges. It's nearly impossible to replicate by hand since it's a machine doing it.

IIRC. SNES and NES games didn't always use this method. They typically used a cheaper heat press and seal method which you can easily do at home and the equipment for it is relatively cheap. Sony used the cellophane fold method pretty much right from the start since their packaging was standard CD and DVD cases (once they got past the long box, of course).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Also I suspect a Y-Fold seal is more difficult to get into discreetly than a cheap heat-sealed plastic product, and this is a big loving deal for brick and mortar stores to combat shoplifting. I have memories of loving catalog after catalog focusing exclusively on anti-shoplifting technology.

I bought a new copy of Contra 3 at my local K-Mart. It was "sealed" of course, but I opened it and there was a tightly wrapped block of newspaper inside. My point being that heat sealing is something that's easy to do and most retailers used to have a machine to do it in the backroom. Not so sure if they're that common anymore, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

beaver_cheese posted:

Have you ever wanted to play SNES on your Turbo Express?

No? Well I do.

I was pretty surprised that I was getting any image at all. You wouldn't want to sit down and play through a game at any length with it due to the flickering image, but it is playable.

The Game Gear had one of those tuners as well as I recall. And there was a Master System in Brazil that transmitted the TV signal instead of hooking directly up to it.

What I'm saying is that it's possible to go even crazier.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GutBomb posted:

What the gently caress is shinesparking? I played through Metroid II on my retropie a few weeks ago and finished it so I must have done it but the term is new to me.

Running to build up speed, then you can launch yourself at high speed in a direction. It was actually introduced in Super Metroid and turned up again in Fusion and Zero Mission.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Pokémon Uranium released, get it before Nintendo DMCA's it in about 5 seconds.

http://kotaku.com/after-nine-years-work-fans-release-their-own-pokemon-1785061831

Somewhere, a lawyer sighs, peels another sheet of the pad, and starts filling in the blanks.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Who in this thread will be the first to go senile and rant in the nursing home to their visiting adult children and grandchildren that "they're coming out with a Super Nintendo this year, that's what I want for Christmas"?

I think if you've gone senile, you're more likely to demand a Jaguar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

Sorry but I totally stole your idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDVCzuwlVk

Just a suggestion because this is already good, but you might want to start with an instrumental version and then transition to the vocals toward the end.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stolen from the cosplay thread because it made me laugh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Uh, no. The N64 was very good at 3D, the only problem was Nintendo skimped on the texture cache for no reason so it couldn't apply high quality textures to the high quality and fast 3D rendering, unless you were a very good developer.

The PlayStation and Saturn both were really quite terrible at 3D rendering in different ways. Sony just forced it anyway. It's why way more PlayStation 3D games, proportionately, are just completely unbearable to look at these days compared to among the N64 library.

Something that people don't seem to realize is how quickly tech was changing in the 1990's. Essentially a whole bunch of really great but immature technologies that would be good for video games were created around 1990 and then all of them improved constantly. The technology in the Playstation was middling quality for 1994. It was laughably out of date by 1996 when the N64 came out. The N64 was essentially full hardware generation ahead of the Playstation in terms of what was inside it. It just wasn't well engineered, unlike the Playstation which was well designed based on what they were working with.

The Saturn, however, was always a Frankenstein machine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

True Story I once ran across 8 NCAA SNES games CiB at Goodwill. Couldn't bring myself to buy a Sportsball game so I left them to the ages.

A few years ago I bought a copy of Madden 2000 complete in box for the N64 for $3. That Madden cart now only fits in Japanese N64's but my Japanese version of Yoshi's Story now fits into US N64's without a Gameshark.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Maybe I'm just salty because my controller's dpad is a bit creaky. Any way to fix that?

In my direct experience, the rubber pads they used that original controller were terrible. I've got a few of those controllers where it's pretty much rotted apart. I guess I should look into someone making replacement parts, but :effort: .

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

I have like 3 Japanese carts now so I went and printed this at the library.

That's cool that your library has a 3D printer. The department of my major at the university just got one last month and even though I wanted to use it the line has been kind of around the block for it.

And don't forget Nightmare on Elm Street for your Fourscore!

Also Smash TV allows you to use one so both players can have a twin stick.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

_____! posted:

drat it Conan you're better than this, that is clearly a PS2 controller for the auto-erotic asphyxiation nor is the SNES yellow enough to be legit!:q:
edit regarding below:I didn't notice that but now I also see that the PS2 controller has a USB plug!

Excuse me, that's a PS3, controller. Please turn in your nerd card and leave the building.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

(I really am pissed I can't buy Climax)

FWIW, the 3D remake of Afterburner II is currently on sale for $3 on the 3DS eshop. I assume that game is going to have similar licensing problems.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

I won a pretty big lot and have gained access to 102 Famicom games (and 11 Super Fami.) Uggh, how am I going to catalogue all this stuff.

Well, you put the horse racing, mah jongg, terrible dragon quest clones, and baseball games in one pile. And then you play the other two.

MrLonghair posted:

You know bottlecaps in fallout games? That's Japan and famicarts. A regular segment in special streams of a crew I watch is a helper travelling through Japan set to arrive towards the end of the weekend/week of streaming, stopping to gather famicarts from viewers across Japan. 250-500 every haul but where the hell do they go afterwards, guy's gotta have enough to fill a new foundation for Kumamoto castle repairs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

_____! posted:

Text and menus looks like poo poo but the game itself looks pretty cool. I used SweetFX to do that (and I'm sure that image is going to cause at least 2 people in this thread to have a tremendous heart attack. It feels like a tiny bit of sacrilege.)

Not sacrilege, that just looks plain terrible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles.

Sonic & Knuckles will someday be the most expensive Genesis cart because all of them will be tied up with people attempting to make the largest tower of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

I found something at the thrift store...

my first famicom multi/bootleg cart!

The Famicom version of Donkey Kong 64 is the best one.

I always find it funny when Bird Week is a game they choose to put on the label...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Japanese gaming magazines need to get scanned for the internet ASAP far as I'm concerned. They have decades of poo poo we probably don't even know is there, countless tie-in manga we've never seen, etc. There's barely any effort into that field at all other than like some of the PC Engine or Neo Geo communities maybe.

I've kept an eye out for the manga from the 80's about playing video games (as opposed to manga which is just video game tie ins) and not had much luck.

Gio posted:

The games I bought (all complete):
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Planetfall

I know the first two are likely far more valuable than the latter two. I can post pictures if someone wants to see them.

I wouldn't bet on that. Actually complete Infocom games are worth a pretty good amount. The real question for you is are they really complete? Ultima IV and V need to have cloth maps. U4 has a metal ankh. U5 should have a metal coin. HHGttG should have packages of multipurpose fluff, a microscopic space fleet, peril sensitive sunglasses, and destruction orders for the Earth and Arthur Dent's house. I forget what special extras Planetfall came with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drone posted:

Isn't there also often as much demand for the "feelies" that come with those games as for the games themselves?

Man, I wish games still came with feelies. Also big thick manuals and posters and poo poo.

That stuff really came to an end by the mid-90's sadly. Now it's all in the collector's editions.

Cliff Racer posted:

Why did one of this threads many other baseball fans not call me out first?

I suspect that was the other baseball fan in the thread. :v:

al-azad posted:

Kind of. Feelies were basically copy protection, Infocom basically used them to pass otherwise impossible puzzles. Now you get a statue and stuff but it's nothing directly tied to the game itself.

They weren't always used as copy protection, though that was a pretty common use of them. The Hitchhiker's stuff, for example, has no connection to any of the puzzles in the game (well, other than the Microscopic Space Fleet actually being in the game).

Actually, I can't recall any significant time that Infocom used the feelies as copy protection and I've beaten every single Infocom game. Sometimes they were used for hints but they were not required.

Maybe Leather Goddesses of Phobos integrated things enough that you might consider it copy protection. There was copy protection in the manual of A Mind Forever Voyaging as well but that was pretty explicitly copy protection and not a cool extra thing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 17, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I would argue the copy protection of Hitchiker's Guide is the book itself :colbert:.

They didn't include the book in the box.

Honestly, half the time the book gets you through a puzzle and the other half of the time the answer is something totally different from the book and you wind up going down some wrong paths because of it. Because that game is just plain mean.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Yeah, 5.25" disks were pretty robust as long as you never folded them severely. 3.5" disks were wonky, though, and it took way too long for them to finally be replaced properly with burnable CD's; I had way too many games in like ZIP or RAR archives across like 17 disks, constantly hoping disk #16 hadn't gone bad.

It didn't help reliability when people converted 3.5 disks to "high density" by punching a hole in the corner. :v:

My first time in college I lost an assignment to that. :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

I got it because it was featured in one of the like 3 issues of Nintendo Power I had in elementary school (the Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse cover issue, IIRC.) I like me a good puzzle game, even when they make me feel like an idiot for hours at a time and then I feel silly when I figure it out.

95% of the games I buy I fully intend on playing. I should probably take a good look at my PS1, PS2, PS3, and Wii collections, though. Probably Gamecube, too. There's definitely stuff that's been sitting around too long waiting for time I'll never find.

That stuff that gets me with that is the RPG's. "Oh man, I've heard this RPG is really good. Now I just need to find time to... you know, gently caress it. I'll play some arcade game instead."

Edit: I thought it would be mildly amusing to run through my PlayStation 1-3, GameCube, and Wii RPG's to see the ones that I need to play (some I have played for a day before setting aside and feeling that I need to go back to them). Unfortunately, my cat has decided to nap in front of my game cabinet and I can't get into it. So going by memory, here's what I need to play: Wild Arms 2-3, Suikoden Tactics, Baton Kaitos 1-2, Shadow Hearts 1-3, Radiata Stories, Eternal Sonata, The Last Story, Fire Emblem (GC), Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 (collector's edition is still shut up on my shelf), Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (I think there's might be an interesting game in there behind some mechanics that people rejected), Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Dark Cloud 2 (I don't have the first one for some reason), and Star Ocean (PS2). I'm sure I'm missing a few, too. And that doesn't include the ones that I played a bit of and decided that I didn't want to touch it again (hello, Magna Karta and Opoona).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 17, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

"The" you say, as if there's only one of those.

Accidental word slippage. I know there's around a dozen of them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Both of you, go play The Last Story this instant! :colbert:

No can do. I'm currently in the middle of some furious work and I have to steal an hour every so often to play something light that I can pick up and put down.

And that's why I have so many RPG's piled up. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Usenet was invented by nerdy college students, so you can find video game talk on it from the first year it was around, 1980.

The old joke is that the first newsgroup was alt.talk. The second was rec.arts.sf.tv.startrek.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Does that mean whoever used the leftmost and rightmost joysticks were pressing right or left to go up and down? If that's the case, I guess I could understand it because it's at a way more extreme angle than what I am looking to do.

I just played on the outer sticks on a six player X-Men cabinet about two weeks ago and I can tell you they were orientated for the player rather than the screen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Really? So if you moved the joystick towards the left side of your body, the character on the screen went left, and not up?

If so, other forums I am reading have been lying for some reason.

Did you find it confusing or jarring at all?

Essentially. Obviously not perfectly orientated since the player has to stand a bit more off to one side; think of it as orientated based on the buttons with the bottom two buttons forming a parallel line to the horizontal controller axis. And yeah, at that angle the controls are a bit awkward, but there's really no position on the sides of the six player cabinet that wouldn't be awkward.

FWIW, I wouldn't put it past it being a change made to the controller bracket on that system just because people do things to arcade machines...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While we're on this topic, my pet peeve is replacing four way arcade sticks with eight way sticks. My local arcade's Dig Dug has this and I get killed by it all the time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Interestingly enough, the Mag-Stik Plus lets you switch between 4 way and 8 way!

There's a few sticks out there that let you do it on the fly and of course there's some that let you choose which you want when you install it.

The real challenge is the 64-way stick for Sinistar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maybe I won't bother with the Mag-Stik Plus. The rotation thing sounds awesome but a lot of people seem to complain about it not feeling the same or something. Plus they are almost $40 per stick and I already have 4 Happs I got for $8 each. I guess it's not a big deal as there's only about 20 or so games that really benefit from a 4-way joystick. I actually want it more for the rotation capability.

There's a lot more games that benefit from four ways than just twenty. 90% of stuff from before 1983 is a good start.

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm in the same boat as Random Stranger, except its 60 hour work/school weeks.

High five for overdoing schooling. I'm taking a break from a ten page assignment on the geography of east Asia at the moment. It's part of a self-paced course that I have to do as much of as possible before my proper classes start on Monday and for the past week I've been writing about one of those a day. When classes hit on Monday I'll technically be enrolled in 19 credit hours including that course with nice long labs five days a week.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of Repro carts, whose the go to for that these days? I keep toying with the idea of getting a Gun Nac cart. It's getting hard to find that one in general, never mind the price.

I wouldn't recommend them, but I've ordered a few of the cheapy Chinese reproductions and I'm waiting for them to arrive so I can do a trip report on them.

He went off on this long rant about how when his son grows up there's going to be no Stunt Race FX carts left

I fail to see the problem here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Miles McCloud posted:

Repros as a whole are stupidly overpriced, I can literally make 95% of the SNES library for less than $15, in about 30 minutes of work. Genesis games for less than $10 and they're even easier to put together. Part of what you're paying for is the skill required to do it, but there are very few games that should cost more than about $35. That's including a case and label and everything.

Obvious exceptions are games like Star Ocean that not only require a more expensive donor but also intricate wiring. I probably spent about two hours on that one. But those games are few and far between and I think most repro makers are skinning the proverbial fat hog.

I've kind of wanted to get into making carts like that because it sounds like fun. How much did the equipment cost you?

Instant Sunrise posted:

i've come to hate mame cabs for taking up half of every results page every time i search my local craigslist for anything

I found the other half:

(Sadly, that's kind of a deal now. :negative:)

Oh, and relevant to the discussion:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of buying RPG's that you don't have time to play, there's a ton of them in the current Flash sale on the Sony store. I was going to run through a list of the retro stuff up, but there's just too much. Plenty of Square and Capcom PS1 titles though nothing that hasn't been on sale in recent months.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

XYZ posted:

Or just let people enjoy old games in whatever manner they like? :shrug:

As long as they're not Nintendo 64 games. All of those are crap.

Except Tetrisphere.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

We gonna throw down.

(I do agree with you that Tetrisphere is great though)

Allow me to elucidate at length on why all your N64 favorites are terrible, especially the Zeldas and Goldeneye.

Double especially Goldeneye.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The translation might be technically legal (so you could have a nice script and all that which people could read as they played), but if a company pressed the point, it'd be the same thing as a shuttering effect if they said "The translation is fair use, but the patch is for a version of our game that is being distributed in a format we did not and do not authorize", and a judge agreed. I could be wrong, of course. It's trite and entitled to say, I guess, but if translators have any motivation or ideals for their work being anything but their selfless effort expended for the love of the game and gaming, to be used and abused by anyone, then they're courting some serious hurt and disappointment.

A translation of a work is a derivative work and thus a violation of copyright if done without authorization. Obviously I don't think it's a particularly big deal, especially when we're talking about things that are commercially unviable to translate officially, but that's where the law is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh god, he's even playing Outrun on it! :barf:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Nice Tron stwhat the gently caress

Yeah, that's something I don't get about these terrible MAME layouts. They inevitably throw a Tron stick on there somewhere. Because the Tron stick was absolutely essentially to playing Tron and Satan's Hollow.

Also, they never use the cooler red version from Satan's Hollow but that's probably because there's a billion Tron machines out there and very few Satans.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

brb, gonna turn a bandai pippin into an ideal spirograph machine

Currently converting a Panasonic Q into a disco ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Right now the best place to start with retro collecting is the PS2 generation because you can still get many games really cheap, and though ps2 emulation has gotten really good it's still not 100% (I'm not sure where OG Xbox emulation is at). Although being honest I don't know how long this is gonna last. That price creep is slowly settling in. But FOR NOW you can jump in there.

I mean you're gonna have some games like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance that cost way too much but thankfully they're the exception FOR NOW for now (for now)

How about a complete copy of Blood Will Tell?

I was looking up prices really quick to make some jokes; when the gently caress did Yakuza 2, Echo Night Beyond, and Obscure become so absurdly expensive? The escalating prices on Rule of Rose and Kuon is to be expected since those are severely underprinted horror games that never really got cheap, but you couldn't give Obscure away!

Also loose disks of Dark Cloud 2 going for $25? I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago for $3...

• Locked thread