Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

XtraSmiley posted:

I've been doing a lot of traveling lately, and I always stop by the local "retro game" store. Today I'm at Dulles, so I stopped by https://www.estarland.com which was literally across the street from where I'm staying.

What a big store with a ton of new poo poo! I was impressed with the selection, but not with the price. WTH is it with stores charging more than eBay prices? I mean a little bit higher is one thing, but everything was 10-20% or more higher. I mean, WTH? Also, so many people were bringing in used games to trade in while I was there, and getting like 10% of what they could have selling on craigslist or eBay. Are people just that lazy?

Rant over. I'm just made I can't get old games at reasonable prices anymore. Time to order some more flashcarts.

10-20% over ebay prices is drat reasonable for a brick and mortar store. I'm more used to seeing two to three times ebay prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not a 16-bit game but Dragon Power, the unlicensed western conversion of the first Dragon Ball game, gave not-Master Roshi a burning desire for not-Bulma's "sandwiches" which I'm pretty sure were just the original panties sprite flipped upside-down.

Dragon Power is one of the most unplayable NES games out there, only it's the one that flies under people's radar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Does anybody here play/like/feel-like-defending The Tower of Druaga? Would "the PC Engine remake is better" be the prevailing opinion?

Super influential and not bad so much as not user friendly. That said, if you bounce off it you're not going to like it better because it's on the PC Engine. Druaga was an early arcade game, after all, and the Famicom version is pretty solid as a port.

Of the Druaga series:

Tower of Druaga is interesting, but cruel.
The Return of Ishtar is much worse than Tower and just not worth playing.
Quest of Ki is really fantastic, though some of the final stages in the bonus levels are total dick moves.
Blue Crystal Rod I've never played and as far as I can tell, nobody outside of Japan has either.
Nightmare of Druaga is kind of neat, though it's definitely more Mystery Dungeon than Tower of Druaga.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm going through the Chrontendo series by leaving it to play while I cook or do other poo poo around the house and so far what I'm getting from it is that Bandai and Toei made some especially awful games during the Famicom days.

Bandai was the LJN of Japan. Though they turned out better in the end due to joining up with Namco.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Fascinating. I don't think the game was unlicensed, though. I think Bandai published it. A family member of mine had the game, it had a proper gray cart and whatnot.

Unlicensed in the sense that it no longer had the Dragon Ball license.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

I have an N64 that powers on but doesn't output audio or video. I've tested all the cables with a functioning N64 and all that so I'm confident the issue is internal. Anyone know what the most common culprit would be? Trying to decide if it's worth my time to repair myself or if I should just sell it for parts/repair.

By far the most common culprit is that drat expansion pack. Even if you don't have extended memory, there's still electronics in there and it comes loose all the time and makes the system not do anything. Pop it out, scrub the connectors, and try again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, a couple of weeks ago I was poking around eBay and in the Gameboy Color games I found this baby:

Now I like go even though I'm terrible at it. And my school's go club has disbanded so I can't even get a decent game anymore. What this means is that if I spot a go game that I can pick up for less than $2 including shipping from Japan, I'll take it even if I don't have any expectation of the Game Boy Color's processor putting up a fight. So I got my copy of Jissen Yakudatsu Tsumego tonight and the title would have been a hint except my Japanese isn't good enough to recognize the word written in Japanese. See, this isn't a go game; it's essentially a puzzle game based on go.

See Tsumego refers to a particular type of go problem where the typical goal is to insure that your stones are not captured. In English they're called life and death problems because stones that cannot be captured are "alive" and stones that can be captured are "dead". So this cart has 100 puzzles on it along with 15 walk throughs of common positions. I can't say I mind terribly since 100 go puzzles is probably worth more to me than a really lovely AI (and maybe one that could only play a 9x9 board).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Are there any shogi games focused on tsumeshogi? I've been too lazy about actually learning to play better (still don't remember the basic castles) but checkmating puzzles are hella fun.

I went through a small book of beginning puzzles by Habu that I got through inter-library loan and that was cool. I have no idea where to look for shogi books at Book Off.

I haven't encountered any. There aren't even shogi problems in any of the shogi games that I own. I guess doing a functional shogi AI was easy enough that they didn't have to resort to that stuff like go. For go there's an entire series on the Famicom of about six "games" that are just playing back recent games by go masters and occasionally letting you guess what the next move should be, while shogi gets actual AI opponents.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Illbleed probably would have been way more popular if it'd released like, 10 years later. Just because more people would be into the whole goal (and it also wouldn't be stuck on the best early-killed console RIP) and it probably would have gotten marketed with the full horror-humor shtick straight up instead of mostly getting marketed as oh no scariest game ever!! stuff.

I don't know about that. Ten years later and you're in the heart of AAA or nothin' territory. Five years later might have been more like it for Illbleed, though it would never gain a major audience.

Speaking of Dreamcast games, I found a copy of Sonic Shuffle for $3 earlier today. Now to find some friends suckers to play it with.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 18, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

MGS was on my list but the others weren’t, I’ll have to check them out. The system came with Uncharted 1 + 2 and both Infamous games, so those are first up.

I think someone is obligated to say the Souls games, so that's out of the way. I'll point out that Katamari Forever is the previous gen Katamari game to get and not that lovely Beautiful Katamari which had less content than the first game and put a third of the game as on disk DLC (most of the DLC levels are just in Katamari Forever normally).

Oh, and you have to get the Railfan games. :v: I just want him to look up the prices and then freak out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Go gently caress yourself Beautiful Katamari owns.

I'd rather play Me and My Katamari than Beautiful Katamari.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

What should I expect to pay for a PS3 these days? My launch one took a poo poo in 2013 (I know because I was playing Ni No Kuni) and I've always planned to get another one at some point.

I've seen them under a hundred lately (assuming you don't want PS2 backward compatibility).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd also bet money that the medical GBAs were produced back when GBAs were in production.

That seems likely.

FWIW, there's no reason why you couldn't essentially use a GBA as a microprocessor to drive a medical device; you don't need a lot of processing power for those things. But I want to know what the FDA said when they submitted it for approval.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

repiv posted:

You just reminded me of this horror :stonk:

I had seen this before. You don't have to be an engineer to be completely horrified at that build.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a heads up for retro game deals, the Disney Afternoon Collection is currently $8 on PSN. That's over a 99% discount compared to buying the Duck Takes 2 and Chip and Dale 2 cartridges.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Someone is in for some fun.

Do you have the Sega Ages version of the original game? It's one of the better packages in the series for having a lot of features and some interesting extra modes (including Altered Beast for those weirdos). I guess that makes up for not being able to include the Die Hard stuff.

Kind of a shame that Sega hasn't tried to revive the series since it really feels like it was running a bit ahead of its time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Thief is a huge disappointment, glad I sold my copy, especially since it has been a freebie on PS+ and Xbox Live Gold over the past years or so.

I went into Thief expecting it to be godawful.

It failed to live up to those expectations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Which is the best DS to get? I used to have a Lite, and I'm thinking of getting something to play DS games. 3DS and GBA support isn't relevant - I have a nice GBA and IIRC the 3DS screen resolution is different?

I'm thinking I should just find a DSi XL - any reason to get something different?

(is ds even retro)

In a weird way, I like the good old DS fat. The Lite has major problems with the hinge and even though fatty is bulkier, it's more durable. Also, it uses the GBA power cable so it's one less thing to plug in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Hard disagree on the color choice though. DSi bronze looks like it's 80s beige, which has appeal to me on some electronics but not a DSi. :toot: But that's all opinion!

In cars, they call that color "champagne".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Nice! Even adjusted for inflation, that would still be a great return if you had to sell it.

That said...is Magic Knight Rayearth even a good game?

Eh. It's the kind of thing that would be an obscure decent game if it wasn't for the price tag. But paying that much for "okay" rather than "transcendent" just feels wrong.

Also, Quiet Feet should have waited for a better discount like I did. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

2) Are any of the Fullmetal Alchemist games any good... besides Spirit Tracks?

Excuse me, Spirit Tracks isn't any good either.

Also, you're all giant nerds! NERDS!
(quietly buries boxes of anime DVDs in the backyard.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

It's so weird how Atari/Epyx chose to saddle the Lynx with a mere 160x102 screen. I'm sure it saved a bit of money over the 160x144 color screen on the Game Gear, and the wide-screen aspect is kind of neat, but a lot of games felt far too crunched in from it.

It was often bad enough on the GG/GBC 160x144 color screens, but the Lynx is basically missing 29% often the vertical resolution and overall pixel count.

Remember that the Lynx was designed in 1986 and sat around a while as they tried to convince someone to make it. So they were working with hardware a lot older than the Game Gear.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Well, this is a different take on doing things retro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcYW9dTAUw

I'm surprised they could record the screen like that directly without getting some massive flickering in the video.

I'm in the middle of an assembly course at the moment and I really think making a 2600 game sounds like a good idea. I suspect the exhaustion may be getting to me...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

don't forget to buy Pokemon Cock Edition.

I think you need this to go with it.

I'm beginning to suspect Aliexpress sellers have caught onto to people buying these things specifically for the insane titles.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grapeshot posted:

Why am I tempted to organize an Aliexpress Repro Secret Santa?

So many terrible variations on pokemon that you could inflict on someone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

repiv posted:

That's the one. Traveller's Tales were really thinking ahead :v:

That's definitely a cute debug message because people were leaving test systems in the wrong state. It's just kind of funny that it managed to get through where people could see it.

• Locked thread