Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I use a heat gun to get labels off cart shells. Works really well and leaves little to no residue. Just don't go crazy and melt the cart or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Tahjir posted:

So I just picked up a used Sega Master System today, and I've been having some issues with controller input. Specifically, the up button. I've tried several different controllers but the problem remains. Does anyone know what could be causing it?

I had one with a similar problem I fixed by reflowing the controller port's solder points.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Rirse posted:

A shame that PS1 flashcart is haivng trouble due to drama, because I found my component cables I got for the PS2. Granted it one of those multiple system cables that also have a Wii (shame it not Gamecube) and Xbox Original cords.

I've been following the PS-IO drama since I have one and it seems to have died down. Last I checked the guy who built the firmware had given the encryption keys to the other guy, so work could continue on it without having to start from scratch. As it is, it is still a neat piece of kit that plays a lot of games quite well. I'm pretty happy with it, as unlike the Saturn and Dreamcast equivalents it isn't a drive replacement, so you can still use disks for the games that have compatibility issues.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

shyduck posted:

I'm hoping my Framemeister ships soon, Solaris had it pegged for a January delivery, so we'll see.

Also holy poo poo someone actually paid $950 for one a few days ago on Ebay

How can someone have that much disposible income, and be willing to spend it on a Framemeister, and only now decide that you want a Framemeister. I have one and it keeps getting harder to continue to own it.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Last October I bought a small $10 item on ebay from a Chinese seller. The item made it to the US, then got stuck. I got a refund when I contacted the seller with the stuck tracking number.

It showed up last week, with no explanation given for the four month delay.

Between myself and my father's ebay businesses we've shipped and received literally over 10,000 packages with USPS spanning the last 15 years.

I can count on one hand the number that got lost and never show up, and based on the tracking for those they were probably stolen from the mailbox and never actually picked up by USPS.

The best one was a boardgame I ordered from Amazon that had the package damaged in shipment, requiring USPS to repackage it. Except they mixed up the address labels and the box showed up to me containing 30+ copies of a book about gallbladder purging and no boardgame, along with a letter from the USPS saying how sorry they were about the whole thing. I turned the books over to the post office hoping they could somehow get them where they needed to be, as they do have a program to try to get items like these to where they belong.

Odds are the dude's box may just turn up, losing a collection like that would be awfup. I don't know enough about the german post office, but in the States it could have been sent registered, requiring signatures every step of the way, allowing the USPS to find the employee that messed up if it is lost or damaged.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

That's the kind of letter I got when the USPS lost that board game of mine. Honestly I doubt that it was malicious on the part of USPS, it looks like it was packaged in a box wrapped in brown butcher paper with the address label affixed to the wrapping rather than the box itself. That's exactly how the two items I've lost were packaged as well and I would never ship something like that again, it's too easy for the paper to get torn and take the label with it. I think the fault on this one lies with the shipper.

There is a slim chance that the lost items may end up at the USPS lost and found warehouse and reunited with them if he submits a detailed lost item description.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 16, 2017

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

As long as it isn't a 1.6 and you can load homebrew off disk with the modchip you can flash the TSOP and it won't care about HDD keys anymore.

Actually anyone with a flashable xbox should do this for future proofing reasons.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Here is a fun new toy of mine:

The "joey joe bags" is a GB/GBC/GBA cart reader/writer from BennVenn. It can dump roms and save files, as well as flash new roms to writable carts, including chinese pirates. It can also do weird things like stream live video from a Gameboy Camera but I haven't tested that yet.
It is pictured next to my newly customized GBA, which includes one of the chinese newly manufactured SP101 screens. Lots of people complain about motion blur with these screens but the one I got doesn't blur at all. Only problem is one corner is slightly off color, which is only noticeable when the screen is white. From what I'm reading 40-Pin GBAs do better with these screens.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Friend, where can I acquire one of these magnificent devices? I need this in ways I can't begin to explain.

I got mine here, a bit pricey but it was worth it to me.

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/reader-writer-gen2

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

To me the Jaguar is the Mystery Science Theater 3000 of video game consoles, in that when it is bad it is amusingly bad. If I have friends over and we just want to laugh at terrible design choices we play Jaguar. It's so bad it is endearing to me. Tempest is legit good but the Saturn version is better. Don't buy a Jaguar to play games, buy a Jaguar to laugh at games. Although in the truth I do have a fondness for the Joust homebrew port for it and play that more than anything else.

JAGUAR PSA: NEVER EVER EVER BUY THE JAGUAR CD. I have owned two of those devices in misguided attempts to fix them and they are NOT FIXABLE. I do not know what the thing is with those things because even after replacing the lasers they are still dead. Sold them both for what I paid for them after hours of time wasted and will never touch them again. I tried reaching out to Atari repair experts and they were like LOL JAG CD GOOD LUCK. But, there is hope. The guy on the AtariAge forums that is working on the Jaguar flashcart claims to be able to stream CD isos directly to the Jaguar without the use of the Jaguar CD, so hopefully in the future we'll be able to play HIGHLANDER THE LAST OF THE MACLEODS without needing to acquire the monkey's paw of a working Jag CD.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Unless your xbox is a 1.6 version, don't forget to remove the suicide clock battery or it will eventually murder your console. This isn't an optional mod, this is absolutely required if you want your system to last into the future.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mikeosoft/media/xbox%20repair/IMG_20120602_180932.jpg.html

You should also really consider TSOP modding to remove the HDD locking, but if you can't solder at the very least keep a copy of the HDD key (which you can access after soft modding) stored somewhere safe so if your hard drive dies you won't have a bricked system.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

How do you determine if your console is a 1.6 version?

You can get a good idea without opening based on the manufacture date on the bottom. Late 2003 consoles and beyond will almost all be 1.6. If you've soft modded you can get it off the system information of your dash. If you open it up though it is really easy to tell as 1.6 revision boards are completely different than anything that came before them. They are a better build quality actually, and use a heatsink instead of a fan for the GPU. They also usually have Samsung DVD drives instead of the absolute garbage Thomson DVD drives the early boards tend to have. Unfortunately, they also are impossible to hard mod or TSOP flash. So if you have one keep that HDD key close before they are one HDD fail away from a total brick.

I actually bought a bricked 1.6 a few years back so that I could put the Samsung drive and GPU sink into my 1.0 TSOP modded system and get the best of both worlds.

quote:

I'm going to have to do that; is there a chance of bricking it though?
None, although if you don't softmod it the system will ask for the date every single time you turn it on like it's a Dreamcast or something.

quote:

Still debating on installing a HD or not. Usually what happens when I do something like that is I end up never playing anything because I have it all.
Do it anyway because even if you only install five games they will play much better of HDD than the spotty dvd drive you are likely to have.

quote:

Also should I try to get my Xbox to the last update if possible?
There is no need of this as the softmod completely replaces the dashboard. Just be sure to enable high def resolutions before you do the mod and you'll never need to go back to the stock dash unless you want to manage soundtracks.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

univbee posted:

Seeing the button layout popped a very weird question into my head. As the proud owner of the actual good Dreamcast arcade sticks linked earlier, I'm kind of wanting a solution for Genesis, and was wondering if:

1. There is a Dreamcast-controller-to-Genesis adapter somewhere out there
2. If this is even a possible thing, since basically all adapters I know of are older controller to newer console and not newer controller to older console

It's only possible if you wired the grounds of the Dreamcast controller to a Genesis controller, a straight plug converter wouldn't work without demuxing the Dreamcast output. I built a Saturn>Genesis adapter with a demuxe chip and a sacrificial Genesis controller.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Like last year in I think? It didn't get much hype because it's hideously expensive and can take up to minutes to load a ROM.

The guy who did the CPS2 flashboard is near finished making his own Neo Geo SD cart. It looks much better, with Everdrive style speeds and loading. It's on my watchlist, along with that Jaguar flashcard that supposedly can also do JagCD games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it's from the guy who did the Lynx flashcard

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254003-upcoming-jaguar-sd-cartridge/

• Locked thread