Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

PYF ebay retro game listings:

If it wasn't for the relatively low price (which is still entirely too high) and the lack of "RARE! L@@K!", this'd be peak eBay.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Nintendo was right.

Well, they would have been if memory cards and games requiring them weren't a thing on the N64. :psyduck:
The N64 memory cards would've been okay-ish if most games requiring them didn't take up the entire goddamn card or at least so many "pages" that you couldn't fit another save file on there. I suppose you could've bought one of the third party ones that had more space, but those weren't the most reliable things in the world.

To be fair, I don't remember any games worth playing that required an N64 memory card.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I'd rather transport an arcade cabinet to a second floor apartment on my own than move those late consumer CRT horrors.
Aw come on now, it only took three people to carry my 32" Panasonic widescreen CRT to my apartment! It'd probably only require two if they were bodybuilders.

(this thing actually isn't particularly heavy compared to some of the bigger Trinitrons, it's just a pain in the rear end to move because you can't get a good grip anywhere)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 6, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, my Panasonic Deskbuster 5000 (may or may not be the official name of this model) is one of the later SD-only ones from around 2004, it doesn't do component but S-video and RGB look absolutely fantastic and even composite isn't too bad.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ofecks posted:

This is not true, as Instant Sunrise's link proves. The only disappointments here are Bangai-O and Airforce Delta.
Hydro Thunder :eng99:

I hear some copies of it might work if you use a boot disc, but mine certainly doesn't.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

While my CRT has pretty good image quality, I'm getting just a bit frustrated with the geometry issues (which are apparently something this particular model is known for) and have decided to just get a scaler. Is there anything decent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or do I just skip paying rent next month and buy a Framemeister?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Monitor Burn posted:

Is it a Sony Trinitron? If you have the remote you can get into the service menu and fix the geometry directly.
No, it's a Panasonic Quintrix. I have spent far too much time in the service menu already and tried to fix things, but the crux of the problem is that the TV tries to automatically adjust the image settings based on what's onscreen at any given moment (not to be confused with the dynamic aspect ratio thing, which is obviously turned off) and you can constantly see the image slightly adjusting itself, using your service menu settings as a guideline at most. This also means settings that are good for one game will look like utter poo poo on another, or even the menus in the same game might look screwed up.

I thought this was all just me loving something up with the settings because I'm a moron, but nope, it appears to be a thing with these. At least it was free and has served me all right for the last three years (and the actual picture quality is excellent), but I feel like it's about time for a change.

edit: The issues are more noticeable in 16:9, but since I rarely play widescreen stuff on this TV it's not as quite bad as it could be.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 13, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Monitor Burn posted:

:stare:
You were able to deal with that for 3 years? That would have driven me nuts in less than an hour.
Eh, in 4:3 it's barely noticeable during gameplay and I got used to it pretty quickly. If you set H-Amp high enough in the service menu you won't really notice it in 16:9 either, but if you do that everything on the sides of the screen becomes fat as gently caress while the center stays as it is, making any kind of scrolling image look absolutely horrifying. :gonk:

I guess I'm gonna look for a better CRT, then. I do still want to get a Framemeister at some point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Digital Foundry Retro did a thing about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3_beBwsZ0

That's certainly some framerate going on with Perfect Dark. I knew it was bad, but holy poo poo :stonk:

Incidentally, I've been playing Goldeneye over the past week, trying to get through it on at least Secret Agent difficulty. Bunker 2 on Secret Agent is at least ten times harder than all the previous missions combined.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I had one that wouldn't move left at all. Being the mechanical genius I am, I was able to fix it so that Marco Rossi was able to run left again, with the slight caveat of never being able to stop running left and none of the other directions working anymore. :downs:

I will never attempt to repair anything again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The graphics in that game look way better than I remember. Unless the N64 port was just terrible and I never really played the arcade much.
That is the N64 version, you can tell because the girl with the trophy wears a shirt (photoshopped over a bikini top) and the ending doesn't have Bill Clinton in a hot tub with a couple of ladies. The arcade version did have much better graphics and ran far smoother.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

univbee posted:

You gotta play the pack-in Super Mario World, accept no substitutes. :colbert:
I don't actually own a copy of Super Mario World. :eng99: I know, that's pretty shameful but I don't feel like paying 30 bucks or whatever it costs on ebay these days. (okay well it's generally not quite that expensive yet but still)

I played some Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country instead.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 23, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I already have regular old All-Stars without World, which I got for relatively cheap a few years ago. I'll probably just pick up the Super Famicom release of SMW if I want it, since those carts are still pretty affordable and more importantly don't cost a fortune to ship to the backwoods of Europe.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ah, Windows ME. Had to use that for a year and a half, because somehow my dad was convinced by the PC store owner (an old acquaintance of his) that it was the best possible OS for the computer we were buying in late '01. Even at 14 years old I knew perfectly well that nobody should ever use Windows ME and brought that up several times, but obviously the store owner knew better (and clearly wasn't just trying to get rid of his unsold copies of WinME by ripping off gullible idiots) and so we ended up with ME on that computer. Good times.

Tobaccrow posted:

You never shut down Windows ME from the start menu, you just get a BSoD and decide to not bother doing a reboot.
Sounds about right. Sometimes, if I was very lucky, I'd only get one or two BSoDs per session!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I always knew Dave Lang was fluent in over six million forms of communication.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

PAL N64 by any chance? The European N64 didn't have s-video capabilities for some strange reason. Maybe that's the issue?
He said it works fine on the CRT, which wouldn't be the case with-s-video on a PAL N64.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, the NTSC version does run 17% or so faster, so it's merely really slow instead of unbearably slow.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The FDS actually doesn't use the expansion port on the side, it works simply by putting the big black slab of a RAM adapter into the Famicom's cartridge slot and a wire from the adapter to the back of the Disk System.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't know why anyone would ever want to play the 50Hz versions voluntarily (aside from :byodood: MAH NOSTALGIA, I guess), but it's nice to see that they're at least giving you the option to choose between that and 60Hz.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

PAL N64s don't do S-video for... some reason, so unless you get the thing modded you're gonna be stuck with composite anyway.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The HDMI passthrough without any processing was something that was added in a Framemeister firmware update, and you have to specifically turn it on if you just want the passthrough. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Of course, European PS3s never had any kind of PS2 backwards compatibility in the first place. :eurovision:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The very first model did, but it was the stripped down one that emulated either the EE or GS, I can't remember which. It was the only way my buddy could play PSU AOTI with me :v:
Yeah, I was thinking there might have been an early model that had emulation-based BC. By the time I got my first PS3 in early 2008, those had long since been phased out (if they were released in my country at all).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Hey if we're talking about music that fits moods, I'm always up for more suggestions for my Earth Defense Force playlists. Doesn't have to be video game music. just something that would probably be fun to shoot bugs to! I have two versions and they each have slightly different things due to reasons.

Spotify version

Youtube version
I was going to suggest "Them" by 90s Misfits, but I see that's already on there so have Michale Graves' "Earth vs. Spider" instead. (sorry if this is already on the Spotify playlist, the ancient version of Spotify I'm using is having some issues with it)

As for winter-themed game music, I really like "Snowflakes" from Persona 4 Golden.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 26, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of Diddy Kong Racing, but the Jungle Falls music is the poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDmY89WASgM

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Of course, with the Framemeister you still need some type of RGB mod for your NES/Famicom to make the games look presentable, and that can get expensive especially if you choose to buy a pre-modded system and/or live in the backwoods of Europe. The NT, like other Analogue products, is obviously a complete ripoff aimed at people with more money than sense, but the AVS seems like it might be a decent-ish option.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Are you sure it has RGB and not component (YPbPr)? RGB was not a thing in consumer CRTs in America, so that seems a bit odd to me. Either way, a Trinitron with RGB or component is an excellent choice for retro games, but it's certainly not something you want to lug around without a team of bodybuilders or possibly a forklift on hand.

20 bucks sounds okay to me, although since I'm a Framemeister-using weirdo I don't know what people pay for decent CRTs these days.

e:fb but whatever. My Life in Gaming has some pretty good videos on this stuff, check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 4, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

Neato. I really think THPS3 is the best in the series.
It absolutely is, after that they started adding more and more gimmicks and eventually ruined the whole thing with dumb Jackass bullshit. I never played the PS1 version of THPS3, but the PS2 version owned and the Xbox port (which is the one I have now) is just as good.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Folks on Twitter are saying that Micomsoft announced they're stopping production of the Framemeister, no word of a successor so far but I'm guessing they'll be releasing something with 4k support at some point.

edit: Micomsoft's official announcement:

https://twitter.com/MicomsoftX/status/804226382259634176

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 1, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Windjammers is coming soon for ps4 and vita with online versus
:dogbutton:

GEWONNEN

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I tried to fix a NGCD pad once and that didn't go so well. I'm not sure what I expected since any attempt by me to repair something usually ends in disaster, but the guide I was following said it was "an easy fix" so I gave it a shot.

The good news was that I fixed the problem I was having, because moving left worked again. The bad news was that none of the other directions worked any longer. :downsgun:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The N64 wrestling games were some of THE best. Not sure which, I think there's a half dozen of them easily.
The AKI games, namely WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy. There was also WCW vs. nWo World Tour, but since it was the first AKI game on the N64 it's not nearly as polished as the rest. If we want to get technical, there are also the Japanese exclusive Virtual Pro Wrestling games that use the same engine with some improvements and feature wrestlers from promotions like All Japan Pro Wrestling, but those are mostly enjoyed by hardcore sperglords like myself, Samoa Joe and AJ Styles.

Acclaim made a bunch of wrestling games for the system (WWF Warzone, WWF Attitude, ECW Hardcore Revolution), but all of those are terrible.

Oh, and then there's WCW Mayhem and WCW Backstage Assault by EA. The fact I forgot those existed probably gives you an idea of their quality.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 17, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

They made WCW games before they got the WWF license, but I'd hazard a guess that earlier = worse.
Not really. I mean, World Tour is kinda rough and not really worth it, but Revenge is really good and Wrestlemania 2000 is pretty much a reskin of that game with some very minor improvements.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

VPW2 is the best of the AKI games in my opinion (it's more polished and has more content than No Mercy), but it's probably not the best choice for someone who just wants a wrestleman game to casually play with their kid (for one, the whole thing is in Japanese). I'd pick No Mercy or Revenge.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has an extensive writeup on N64 wrestling games, mainly those by AKI: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/akiwrestling/akiwrestlinggames.htm

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

I completely forgot about the fire pro wrestling games. Until the one for the ps2, I think the one for dreamcast was considered the best. I don't know if they hold up now? Most people liked them since they had a lot of moves the US games never included and a extensive create a wrestler. They were never licensed so there's tons of wrestlers in it under fake names like pro wrestling for nes.
Fire Pro is pretty awesome and Fire Pro D (the Dreamcast one) is one of the best in the series, but I don't necessarily recommend any of the Fire Pro games unless you're really into Japanese wrestling and/or prepared to spend untold hours editing wrestlers and downloading custom saves.

The poster asking for wrestling game recommendations wanted something accessible he could play with his 4-year-old, and stuff like Fire Pro isn't exactly newbie-friendly. Along with the N64 AKI games, the early WWF Smackdown games on PSone might be worth a look.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

falz posted:

Aren't the flat ones usually stretched out at the edges a bit? Or did late 90s technology overcome that.
My Panasonic Quintrix did that, but it was a... special case in many ways.

"Oh, you've been sperging out in the service menu all day to get your screen geometry just right? Well, let me just completely ignore that and automatically adjust your geometry based on what's onscreen! Of course you can't turn that feature off, why would you?"

vvv It kinda is, but it still would've been okay if it wasn't for that stupid auto-setting bullshit :argh:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 22, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Once they get a wide release, probably the AVS is a better option for playing NES games than a real NES. It's probably also cheaper than getting a NES front loader modded to work and have RGB/HDMI out and absolutely cheaper than a toploader with an RGB/HDMI mod.
I've been strongly considering an AVS because it seems like the most versatile option in my situation (I have a bunch of NTSC and PAL games, Famicom games and a Disk System). I'd still rather use the real hardware, preferably an AV Famicom with an RGB or HDMI mod, but those PAL games are a bit of a problem there because they poo poo themselves (mainly audio-wise) when played in 60Hz.

Obviously, until they release the AVS in Europe there's not much point in buying one anyway, because I'd still have to pay an arm and a leg to import the drat thing. And no matter what, it's not original hardware :saddowns:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

fishmech posted:

Persona 5 is coming to it in April
April? Is the PS3 version coming a couple of months after the PS4 release or...

*checks PS Store*

...oh for gently caress's sake :negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Nah, I'm getting it for PS4, I was just hoping the delay was only for the crappier version. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hm, looks like my Framemeister got a bit angry about this new 4K screen (Samsung KS7005) and messed up the auto sync settings, causing tearing and judder and all that fun stuff. Manual sync fixed that, and now everything is looking good. I'm not noticing any extra input lag either.

• Locked thread