Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

UnhandledException posted:

Wait, what? Source?

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/joust-prototype-nes/

The part about the Super Mario Bros. 1 prototype is a bit of the way down.

I wonder if the buyer of it can be contacted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zelgadis posted:

I'm half-way considering getting a repro/translation of Tales of Phantasia and/or Star Ocean for snes since they both use complicated chips. They're also two of the largest games on the system(I think) so I'd like to see how they perform the original hardware(voiced songs on my snes?).

Prices average around 50 dollars for one though, so I'm not feeling good about the idea.

In case you did not know, the SD2SNES will play both of those.
And A Link to the Past MSU-1!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted to chime in and say that the 8BITDO SNES gamepad with the wireless receiver is so great that I bought a 2nd one, and I can confirm the SNES will work with 2 wireless 8BITDO SNES pads without issue. I am not sure why I thought there could be an issue, but there isn't one. Works perfectly. Zero lag!

Now who is going to be a bad enough dude to buy 5 of these for a multitap?

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I'm just hoping the new Saturn device is cheaper and easier than the current designs. I'd pay between 100 to 200 for a device that means I don't have to worry about the disc drive. Same for a solution for the psx and ps2 (slim models)

I never was big on the Genesis but you would still need the 32x hardware but good to know the flash drive works. But Sega cd drives have a relatively high failure rate right? More than anything, I'm concerned about the systems that run of cds since those might be prone to failure more.

The funny thing is, things like flash cards exist in bigger and cheaper quantities than before and prices still are going up on the original stuff.

I am like this too. Sega CD, especially the model 1, is really finicky. Only some of them have replaceable lenses. The JVC ones are impossible to find replacements for.

I do have to wonder why these are so expensive/impossible to make because I bought an ODE for the Wii (it was called a SunDisk or some crap like that) which let me literally cram a laptop hard drive inside a Wii and I think it was like $25. It was the only way to play Gamecube ISOs from a hard drive on the Wii at the time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Discount Viscount posted:

The dipswitches already got mentioned, but I'll just add that a couple of them let you play Akuma Gouki with the double air fireball and also give him the shungokusatsu as his super move. I think one or both of these options also made it to the GBA version, but... that's the GBA version.

Classics Collection or Hyper Street Fighter II are just fine, though, and IIRC one or both of them let you enable the previously exclusive 3DO soundtrack if you prefer.

I'm half considering it. And four of the NES ones. Wireless Spot and M.U.L.E.!

Fair warning, I have heard the NES one isn't as fantastic as the SNES one. I play the SNES way more than the NES so I never got them so I can't confirm. I can tell you that I play Super Mario World on the 8BITDO on the SNES as well as I do the original controller. I cannot say the same thing for playing with any wireless controller on Android emulators though.

It's really weird but I find myself playing the SNES so much more now that I got these. I don't know why having wireless controllers makes such a big difference but it does. My wife and I play Tetris (the SNES one with doctor Mario) against each other every single night now. For some reason we weren't really doing that with the wired controllers.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

So I just put a backlight / bivert module into a Clear Play it Loud Game Boy and I couldn't be happier, I hope I am not doing retro games wrong :v:

The DMG screen is really beautiful when it's properly illuminated

Wow, that looks great. How did you do it without getting dust particles or bubbles?

is the motion blur still there?

How did you get that white border?

Awesome job!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am surprised no one posted this article about NES games on the Microsoft VR thing!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/video_augmented_reality_nes_gaming_finally_gives_us_a_reason_to_want_microsofts_hololens

xamphear posted:

The receivers both work great and accept the same controllers, so you could use an SNES30 with the NES receiver, or the NES30 with the SNES one.

OK this I had NO idea about. That is amazing. I am now buying 2 NES receivers. Yeah it will be a bit blasphemous playing NES games with an SNES controller, but not having my 1 year old rip the consoles out of the wall and me not having to worry about where the wire is dangling is huge.

As for you wanting to replace the mushy d-pad in your NES30, though I cannot confirm with the NES30 because I do not own one, the SNES30 is absolutely identical to the original SNES controller inside (meaning the membranes and stuff). As an experiment I swapped out the d-pad, the d-pad membrane, the ABXY buttons, the ABXY membranes, and the L and R buttons and membranes between a real SNES controller and the SNES30 and it fit perfectly.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I can't think of flash carts as things to collect. They're more tools that allow you to get games on real hardware that you might not have been able to afford.

The only reason I would buy more than 1 flashcart is because I am very paranoid and if my SD2SNES or Everdrive N8 dies or gets stolen in 20 years, I am pretty sure I am 100% poo poo out of luck in ever finding a replacement. I thought I was insane for having two Sega Saturn modchips but here we are in a situation where there are zero out there now. The only thing that stopped me from actually doing it is that they are not cheap.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really hate when MAME cabinets have artwork for a thousand different games on it. I'm not sure why it bothers me but it does. When I found out the gutted machine I bought was originally an 1989 TMNT cabinet I went out and got all the original sideart and original marquee. Not even a reprint. The original one. It doesn't need to advertise that it has multiple games unless you're putting it in a pizzeria or something.

Another thing that annoys me in MAME cabinets: LCD screens :stonklol:

To be honest I am actually jealous of people who are happy with not caring about details like that.

xamphear posted:

No more so than usual. Audio out of an NES, even/especially if you have an nesrgb, is pretty noisy. I'll second the recommendation to check the power supply.
Heh, first thing I did, actually. I have a handful of extra SNES replacement membranes, and they aren't a perfect fit for the NES30, they're just a tiny bit too small.

Are you sure that your replacement membranes are from an actual SNES controller and not some ebay reprint? I lined the 8BITDO ones up with my actual SNES ones and they were exact!

xamphear posted:

That little steering wheel!

I have no idea how well they work because why would you want a steering wheel without a gas and brake pedal and without the manual transmission shifter but supposedly those are like $5 wheels you just slap on a spinner and they are supposed to be not terrible. I'm not into racing that much so I never cared to try though.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 21, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone else think of any examples of a video game where it could basically be considered a "take your money and run" scam other than "Plumber's Don't Wear Ties"? I swear if I were an attorney general I would have went after them for what is essentially a scam (or at the very least, false advertising). It would be like if Universal put out Jurassic Park on VHS but it was just text from the book scrolling the entire tape. It's the only time I would think you'd actually be able to file a class-action lawsuit against a video game for outright fraud. Any other examples of this other than "Star Citizen lol" and "anything LJN made"? I mean yeah there are a lot of lovely games but that one was clearly "haha we got you rear end in a top hat, thanks for the money" and I was wondering if it had ever been done before or since.

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm usually OK with this if at least minor effort has been put into it but some motherfucker (like the one pictured here) is always gonna put fuckin Link on an arcade cabinet or whatever. It's a fuckin arcade cabinet put arcade characters on it rear end in a top hat :spergin:

OK yeah it's probably set up for hyperspin and every emulator ever but it bugs me.

haha yeah, I was either going to have my machine just remain entirely in black paint with maybe some color accents, or a single dedicated cabinet artwork.

I saw some guy selling this huge Nintendo-branded arcade machine and oh god everything about it got my spergy senses tinglin'. It had a huge Nintendo logo which made no sense. It had Hyperspin and every console and arcade ROM imaginable but only had button layouts like a huge NES pad so Street Fighter 2 was out of the question, and it had a 36" LCD screen. It literally looked like someone just put a bunch made a bunch of white plastic into a quazi-arcade machine shape and 2 arcade panels that looked like NES controllers for some reason and slapped whatever Best Buy TV was on sale that week right in there and called it a day. At that point I honestly see no difference than putting a $50 Android box to your living room flat screen and getting 2 arcade sticks. Why even bother?

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know why cabinet art designed by a middle schooler with a Trapper Keeper and a pack of Garbage Pail Kid stickers should bother you.

Well I meant I don't like them even when it's well done. Donkey Kong and Pac-Man can not exist in the same world! (Countdown until someone links me to Mario Kart Arcade GP with Donkey Kong racing Pac-Man)

Discount Viscount posted:

Tetris & Dr. Mario has the best "got a tetris" sound effect out of all the Tetris games I've played.

haha yes! It sounds like a wild animal being harmed or something. Like the sound of torture (for the other player).

Which kind of reminds me...why did the Game Boy Color version of Tetris (Tetris DX) not have any of the Russian music in it? Obviously not a licensing thing because it's public domain. It is pretty much identical to the original Game Boy version so I never understood that.

RZA Encryption posted:

Things I hate in games: forcing you to replay all the bosses in a row.

This is usually where I stop playing.

Wow I am the total opposite! I love games that make you play all the past bosses at once. I don't know why I love it. I think because it's kind of like "you are at the end of this journey, but before you can proceed, here's a bit of nostalgia". The only other games I remember it being in were Nightmare on Elm Street on the NES (the only good thing about that game) and Kirby.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 21, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot about Smash even though it's one of my favorite games ever.

And as you can tell, I must not be very good at Mega Man.

And I somehow forgot Illusion of Gaia! One of the best games ever. Makes you fight every boss again at the end.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Bubble Bobble Revolution on the DS. You couldn't progress past level 30 out of the 100 or so levels because it was bugged.

Oh wow, this is a great example, though I think it was more of a glaring oversight than a scam. As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari. Any other games unbeatable due to bugs?

What about games that can actually be damaged to the point where it's unusable? I think there is only one case of this in history, but I can't find it for some reason. It was one of the GBA Mega Man games. Basically there was a glitch (difficult to pull off luckily) that would corrupt the save data, and for whatever reason, the game refused to boot with corrupted save data with no way to erase it, bricking the cart. I really doubt there is any other instance of this but if there is, I'd love to know about it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Just running broken games off the top of my head: Jak 2 has a weird bug where if you save the game at 89% or something it won't trigger the next mission. Viewtiful Joe's demo disc can easily reformat your PS2 memory card. The DOS version of TMNT based on the Konami NES game is unbeatable without a password because the infamous sewer jump can't be made by any means.

In cool slips, super rare and $1,000 Sega CD game Keio Flying Squadron had a UK "demo disc" that contained the full game. It would kick you out after level 1 but if you knew the level skip cheat you could continue playing from the second stage onward.

oh man I love stuff like this. Keep them coming.

How did no one try the TMNT game before releasing it? :allears:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man I had mentioned I had an Illusion of Gaia coffee mug when I was a kid and I searched and searched and could not even find anyone online even mentioning it ever, and I see a completed eBay auction for it. Over $100 for a mug!! drat it! Why did I throw everything out when I was a stupid kid??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nin...=p2047675.l2557

The seller is embellishing a bit as it wasn't a promo thing. Anyone could buy it; they had it in the "Super Power Catalog" thing that Nintendo put out 4 times a year from like 93-95 (it's how the Donkey Kong Competition carts came to light). I don't know how something could be so rare that it wasn't mentioned on the internet before 2015, especially when it was in a catalog that went out to millions of people. I guess no one ordered from them?? I wish there were scans of them (I will probably just get mad at all the stuff I never bought or did and threw out like my glow in the dark Super Metroid poster and my loving Illusion of Gaia mug!!!).

I love that game.

Some other stuff I remember they sold: Super Punch Out boxer shorts, a Killer Instinct wristwatch, uh, that's actually kind of all I remember. Probably for the better.

Captain Rufus posted:

https://youtu.be/0mn-4y8YrU4

A video by Guru Larry covering a few of these games that you can't complete because reasons. Unsurprisingly Ocean software is involved in a few. Because much like LJN/Acclaim, and Takara and Bandai their existence was based around ruining the joy of children.

Thanks for the video! I love oddities like this.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Castlevania IV holds the distinction of being the only video game I ever dreamt about (which is actually pretty amazing now that I think about it). I saw it on the TV show Gamepro had (the one hosted by that redhead kid who is still doing TV shows) and I was so blown away by the stage that looks like it's inside a rolling pin that I had a dream that night that I won it in a contest and I was sooooo pissed when I woke up and I didn't have it.

I actually think it's the best Castlevania but I know that's sacrilegious. I typically like my games to be very linear. I don't mind when rpgs aren't but I don't wanna futz around in my action games.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Someone told me they were at some retro game thing in NYC iirc and he saw like three Illusion of Gaia t shirts.

I am going to see if I can find scans of all the Super Power Club catalogs so we can all get angry at our younger selves.

I do remember one other thing I had ordered from it: the SNES Donkey Kong Country soundtrack. Oh and a Link to the Past hoodie that would probably be worth a car payment today.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The only time it made sense to spend $450 on an nes with HDMI out is when the only option for an RGB nes was $500+ because it required a sacrificial Playchoice 10 and the know-how of like four people on the planet who knew how to do the mod. I don't understand its allure today at all. Three years ago, sure.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely prefer the US SNES but I'm willing to admit it's probably nostalgia. But then again maybe not because I think the best looking console of all time is the PC Engine with the CD add on and I had neither of those growing up.

I have a Japanese SFC as well so I can directly compare them and the US SNES is way, way more durable. Not that the SFC isn't durable, but the US SNES can be thrown down a flight of stairs. I have no clue why Nintendo went with purple accents but I love it. And they stuck with that for the Game Boy Color (it was first only available in purple) as well as the GameCube and GBA.

The American SNES looks like a computer, which is probably why they designed it that way. Rounded edges were not in style in America at the time, according to Nintendo. If you look at American cars in 1990, everything was a box. The US SNES is the 1990 Corolla of consoles.

Harlock posted:

I'm ok with the Super Nintendo design. It is not ok to deny us rainbow colored buttons is all I am saying.

Yeah but we got the concave X and Y buttons which makes us even.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 23, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caitlin posted:

Not true? The Game Boy Color was released in the five colors in "COLOR" - grape, teal, berry, dandelion and kiwi.

e : you MIGHT be thinking of the Game Boy Advance but that was still indigo. :colbert: and I just couldn't remember if they released glacier and the other colors simultaneously or not.

Oh no, definitely the Color but I could be wrong. I know for a fact when I went to buy it on release date that Babbages only had the two purple colors. Still my point was that from the SNES on, Nintendo had an interesting love for purple. I mean to get a normal black GBA we had to wait years for a Toys R Us exclusive but purple was available on launch day!

Edit: Wikipedia is definitely wrong on some stuff. I just checked and they claim that a black GBA existed at launch. It absolutely did not. I remember seeing the black one in a Toys R Us ad and it was exclusive. And I sold my white one to get it.

Edit 2:

And it was in 2003. I thought Wikipedia was supposed to be pretty accurate.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 23, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caitlin posted:

Pretty sure it's actually not wrong and is simply not differentiating between the US and JP launches like you are. JP launch had black.

Right but they did differentiate Japan and US releases, but they didn't for black for some reason.

Definitely possible kiwi was a launch color but I thought it was like a couple months later or something. Or maybe Nintendo made it like purple was the only one that existed.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had the Tommy Hilfiger Game Boy Color which was pretty amusing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

actually my previous post was slightly wrong, it did also come in clear purple and I vaguely remember opting for solid because it looked more low-key

Hooray! I wasn't nuts! I have to stop doubting myself when it comes to video game memory.

Edit: so yeah, the Game Boy Color was only available in purple at first, further cementing nintendo's fascination with the color that spanned from 1991 to 2001.

The Tetris DX blurb reminds me to ask why the original music wasn't in the game? It's the one thing I hate about that version.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 24, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Fortune article on the SNES http://fortune.com/2016/08/23/snes-25-year-anniversary/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

I'm still knee deep in debugging my N64 SYNC issues and it's thrown me into the insane rabbit hole that is CSYNC/sync-on-composite/sync-as-luma. I'll probably do a boring technical write-up once I wrap it up, but for now I'm hoping to get just this clarified: Does the XRGB-mini actually require CSYNC, or can it can accept both sync-on-composite and sync-on-luma to some degree? I first thought it was the former at first, meaning that you'd be required to have a Sync Stripper somewhere along the line. But it appears that this was only true for older firmware on the mini; the current iteration can handle it just fine but it man require adjusting the sync levels manually.

My current working theory is that the sync-on-luma from my N64 is not arriving at the XRGB properly. Perhaps because the sync stripper in my current adapter going into the XRGB is interfering with it or otherwise not cleaning the luma properly to get HSYNC/VSYNC or that the stripper is not doing anything at all and in fact it's the XRGB itself that is screwing up the sync signal, meaning I need a new sync stripper. Or even because the N64 itself is not outputting luma properly, which I will be able to test when I get a S-Video cable.

I remember when I got fed up trying to figure out why my 1chip-03 snes was not giving me a stable image. They removed csync on that model and I couldn't remember what my cables were. Sync on composite or sync on csync? I got so fed up I just opened the SNES and literally jumped a wire from csync to composite sync. And guess what? It worked. I don't think it messed with the picture quality at all. Now I get a stable image. Is it crude? Yes. Did it work? Yes! Is it internally destroying something unbeknownst to me? No clue!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Just so you know, the goomba to create GB games into GBA roms (and also the NES version) work just fine with the GBA Everdrive.

It's so weird playing Link's Awakening with the Super Gameboy border on a Micro. Looks super nice though.

Wow, that's awesome. Is there any way to play Super Game Boy games on an emulator? I really want to play Donkey Kong 94 portably with the border and colors and better sound effects.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the Super Game Boy responses. I'm an idiot and should have specified that I want to play Donkey Kong 94 with the full color and border on a portable device and not a PC. My fault.

My favorite thing was in one of the stages in DK 94, I couldn't figure out the puzzle and I ended up being the stage by doing something the programmers probably didn't notice. When I figured out the right way to do it I felt like an idiot, but proud that I kind of broke the game for that one stage.

It was this stage

https://youtu.be/EJYpRYqRgHQ

I'll be damned if I remember how I broke it though. I think I got to the key without using that custom platform piece.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Uncle, Goomba seems to be doing borders and enhanced color but I think it runs at regular speed.

Someone more technical than I should answer though.

Thank you! I'd love for it to work as an snes rom since I am assuming the image is going to be kind or wonky since it has to adapt to the GBA resolution

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

symbebekos posted:

Basic question before I shoot myself in the dick: if I get a Super Everdrive or SD2SNES and a Super Famicom, I'll be able to play SNES roms on it without issue, correct?

Yeah. The SD2SNES will play a few more titles than the SNES Everdrive. Another big bonus of the SD2SNES is that people are always writing code for it. To put it in perspective, on the SNES Everdrive you need to physically install a DSP chip to play Mario Kart. On the SD2SNES, you can play them by dropping a DSP.bin in the root of the SD card. It's really cool.

And I will sound like a broken record but if you ever need a reason to get the SD2SNES, it's because of the CD audio/FMV/MSU1 hacks out for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v788KslHvbU

Kid Fenris posted:

I don't want Europeans near my NES Classic! They'll fill it with Zool and James Pond!

And 50FPS games!!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

MSU hacks are always kind of meh in my mind, because I have yet to hear one that's been orchestrated by a team and instead it comes off of 'Hey this OCremix sounds great shove it in there instead of Boomer_Kwanger.mid'.

Yeah but isn't it really trivial to replace the music? The FFVI MSU-1 hack even lets you select individual tracks to download during install. Even so I would just replace the .PCM files with ones I personally prefer.

Is there some way it could be easier to make MSU1 hacks? I know nothing about programming. I am good with audio looping though. I would love to make a ton of them but I know nothing about programming; I would kill for some sort of GUI that makes it easier. I mean FF3edit came out in 2001 and that thing is incredible. I can't imagine why something similar can't come out for SNES ROMs for MSU1.

FilthyImp posted:

Plus the FMV animation is baaaaad.

Really? I thought the Link to the Past one fit perfectly, wasn't that cheesy, and actually did a great job of explaining why you were living with your uncle in the first place.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Asbrandt posted:

I gave up on this as soon as Ikari announced becoming a parent and you should too.

I'm not so sure of that because he had an update to the firmware like a week ago. Not to mention it's open source.

FilthyImp posted:

It kind of overstays its welcome in my opinion. You kind of start noting the deviant art quality design and animation after like 20 seconds.

That was an official Nintendo work, believe it or not!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Town themes in rpgs always take me back.

I think because they are always either peaceful or upbeat, and also always catchy. There's games where I hated every song in the game except the town theme.

Games with amazing town themes:
Final Fantasy VI
Illusion of Gaia
Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire (this game has like three incredible town themes)
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Link to the Past
7th Saga
Lufia
Super Mario RPG

Just off the top of my head.

As an older person now I enjoy driving all around NY and Vermont looking for pretty, quaint towns to simply walk around with my kid and I wonder if that had something to do with it because it bores my wife to tears.

YEAH OK IT'S PRETTY, THERE'S COBBLESTONE AND AL FRESCA DINING, DEFINITELY WORTH A THREE HOUR DRIVE

Harlock posted:

My favorite Genesis title: NOT FOR RESALE

My favorite nes title is JALECO

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 29, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Nah, this was definitely a song from the 90s or earlier. I can't remember anything else beyond the woman. I want to say it was an R&B or urban soul song it really had that kind of styling.

Maybe I'll hear it one day walking around in a Sears or something but it's up there with Battle Against A Weak Opponent as "song that totally sounds like an early 90s pop song."

Although Enya's Anywhere Is is totally the map screen music in Yoshi's Island.

It's possible you are thinking about this because a different song in Earthbound always reminded me of it

https://youtu.be/HvQCxFZHMZ4

It would be incredible if I was right so let me know!

al-azad posted:

I remember asking about this two years ago but Wonder Boy's battle music has a very similar melody to something I've heard on the radio. All I can recall is the faint voice of a woman singing in some language other than English (or otherwise she was impossible to understand in English) to that exact melody. I thought it was Enigma or one of those late 80s/early 90s Pure Moods or New Age compilation discs. Just vocalize the melody in a feminine voice and I swear to god that was the song!

OK wait I just saw this. It's the same exact melody of the chorus to "You're All I Need" by Method Man and Mary J Blige! That has to be it!

https://youtu.be/XW1HNWqdVbk
Check at two minutes in. Lines up with the music you linked perfectly.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 30, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I'm so glad I figured it out. The only thing that made me iffy was that the singing part isn't difficult to understand but with her drawing out the words I can see that.

It's so funny because I figured it out within like three seconds of hearing your sample and I actually love that game but never heard the FM audio version where it's way more obvious.

Glad I could help you sleep at night!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

I never really followed music but everyone else in my family did religiously. Everything I know about music is absorbed through the radio or in the background on TV. I'll just start associating video game music with popular music, it all runs together and sounds the same in my head.

Like Abaddon's Bolero sounds like Kid Icarus and Fools in the Rain is the intro and battle music to Mario RPG and Karn Evil 9 Part 1 is like 5 different Final Fantasy boss themes and Part 2 is Final Fantasy 7's boss music. And I can't remember if I associated something with Mario 64's Bob-omb battlefield theme so if I made up lyrics to it but I definitely sing gibberish when I play that game.

I love stuff like this. Check out where the Dark Lich music from Secret of Mana was inspired from: https://youtu.be/aGXcnWUqV-Y

Starts at 49 seconds in.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is pretty crazy! All this music sampling chat got me to listen to some random SNES songs that I haven't heard in forever, and I caught another sample no one else on the internet seems to have caught!

This Final Fantasy IV song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJuKydFsoBQ

was sampled in an Insane Clown Posse song released in 1994 believe it or not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Fzrn3bpk4&t=119s

Starts at 2 minutes exactly. This is kind of nuts because I don't think anyone sampled video games back in 1994, plus this wasn't "discovered" on WhoSampled from what I can see.
It sounds like they simply adjusted the pitch slightly is all!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 31, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

More like no one listens to ICP

But my non-lovely answer is that those do sound very similar if not the exact same

Everyone was a stupid teenager once.

But yeah their producer was infamous for sampling really weird and uncommon stuff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ofecks posted:

I listened to actual music as a teenager. :shrug:

So did I. Real music was Wu-Tang and Gravediggaz and Public Enemy and Onyx and if you don't like that you get the bozack!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmm, I don't buy it. I'm willing to bet there's some old school public-domain piece (or something lost to the ages) which has just ingrained itself in our collective memory as like "circus music" and both Final Fantasy and ICP both used that same theme. Doesn't mean ICP was copying FF or even aware of it.

Like, that's just generic "Clown music". And you can see why both FF and ICP would go for a circus clown type sound.

Possible I guess but the FFIV song even has the organ thing in the same repetition.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 2, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fleedar posted:

The bivert/backlight mod was a lot of fun so I did another. I want one in every color now.

Holy poo poo that needs a Virtual Boy decal right now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MrSlam posted:

I'm thinking of getting rid of our ancient TV to replace with a slick HDTV. Problem is I'm also thinking of getting into retro-gaming.

Is the Retron 5 worth it or should I just hold onto an old TV to play Chrono-Trigger on?

I hope the answer isn't 'Go read the OP you jerk'

1) Try a computer/latop/modded Wii/whatever on your HDTV and see if you enjoy the experience. If you do not enjoy it and need it to be more authentic, move on to step two:

2) buy your favorite console. I personally would not get a Retron 5 because then I feel like I might as well just bother with a computer/latop/modded Wii/whatever on my HDTV. I personally enjoy the look of the hardware and the controllers, but most importantly, how accurate they are compared to emulators. When I had a modded Wii I almost never played my retro games. When I got the real systems, I played them a lot more. I am not really sure of the psychological reason for this but I imagine it's similar to people who are more likely to finish a physical book than they are a Kindle e-book. If you are happy with the image quality on your HDTV from the old console(s), move to step 3b. If you are not happy, move to step 3a:

3a) Buy a Framemeister for your HDTV or keep your CRT for retro gaming.

3b) Purchase a flashcart for your favorite console. Cartridges are great and I love the ones I have, but it's an incredibly expensive hobby and it's only getting worse. You might find yourself perfectly happy using just a flashcart with real hardware. I personally do. It was a happy medium for me, plus I am pretty lazy and don't really want to look through a huge catalog of games. It's the same reason I ripped all my DVDs some years ago to a hard drive. Another bonus with flashcarts is you can play unreleased or modified games on the real hardware, which is always cool. In short, what I am saying is that even if you want to collect physical carts, you're probably going to want a flash cart anyway to play the really expensive games or games that were never released here. I personally have a mixture of some carts (my absolute favorites) and flashcarts.

Hope this helps! It is just my opinion but I gave you alternate avenues so you may go with what best suits you.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
oh wow, I just saw the Nintendo 3DS direct and they are putting Mario Maker on the 3DS. That is so perfect because I love that game but it's rare I get to use my WiiU. This will be great!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Wait what? The 3DS version isn't going to have downloadable levels from other users??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RZA Encryption posted:

Local sharing/streetpass only.

Yeah....

Holy moly that's ridiculous.

Hopefully the hacking community makes short wind of that.

• Locked thread