Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

No idea, I certainly couldn't tell. There was also a copy for $16.99, and the craziest part was all the labels were dated within a 2-day span.

They also had some weirdness going on with their SNES pricing: Mario World for 17 (really good for retail these days) and Mario Kart for 55 (what).

Store was cool, I got MMX6 PS1 for 14, but yeah that stuff was really bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A lot of places like that price down duplicates by a certain percentage for each additional copy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

MSU hacks are always kind of meh in my mind, because I have yet to hear one that's been orchestrated by a team and instead it comes off of 'Hey this OCremix sounds great shove it in there instead of Boomer_Kwanger.mid'.

Yeah but isn't it really trivial to replace the music? The FFVI MSU-1 hack even lets you select individual tracks to download during install. Even so I would just replace the .PCM files with ones I personally prefer.

Is there some way it could be easier to make MSU1 hacks? I know nothing about programming. I am good with audio looping though. I would love to make a ton of them but I know nothing about programming; I would kill for some sort of GUI that makes it easier. I mean FF3edit came out in 2001 and that thing is incredible. I can't imagine why something similar can't come out for SNES ROMs for MSU1.

FilthyImp posted:

Plus the FMV animation is baaaaad.

Really? I thought the Link to the Past one fit perfectly, wasn't that cheesy, and actually did a great job of explaining why you were living with your uncle in the first place.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Miles McCloud posted:

My 27c040s are all new-old-stock I bought in bulk from China.

Well hit me with a quote for translated Lagrange Point + PRG+CHR for Just Breed then. (JB's CHR is 256K but doubling it and using a 27c040 will work just fine.)

Do you by any chance have a 27c080 lying around for Minus Infinity?

Wizgot posted:

Does anyone think that the SD2SNES will ever get Super FX support?

I gave up on this as soon as Ikari announced becoming a parent and you should too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah but isn't it really trivial to replace the music? . . . Even so I would just replace the .PCM files with ones I personally prefer.
Maybe? I'm not sure. But only replacing some leads to the problem: a patchwork of songs with varying instrumentation/styles that just makes everything clash.

I mean, even if MMX has a range to its soundtrack, it's all still using the same range of midi sounds available from the SNES. Someone's cobbled together tracklist usually isn't as tight sounding.

quote:

Really? I thought the Link to the Past one fit perfectly, wasn't that cheesy, and actually did a great job of explaining why you were living with your uncle in the first place.
It kind of overstays its welcome in my opinion. You kind of start noting the deviant art quality design and animation after like 20 seconds.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Asbrandt posted:

I gave up on this as soon as Ikari announced becoming a parent and you should too.
Yeah, it's taken Ikari 2 (?) years to get cheat support in, and there's still no GUI for it.

SuperFX or SA-1 support would have to come from someone else at this point.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Asbrandt posted:

I'm not so sure of that because he had an update to the firmware like a week ago. Not to mention it's open source.

FilthyImp posted:

It kind of overstays its welcome in my opinion. You kind of start noting the deviant art quality design and animation after like 20 seconds.

That was an official Nintendo work, believe it or not!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Does the SD2SNES board have those two extra sets of connectors on the side that SuperFX games have?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Instant Sunrise posted:

Does the SD2SNES board have those two extra sets of connectors on the side that SuperFX games have?

Yes.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yes. Super FX support has always been (sort of) part of the plan, if you go back and read Ikari's comments and posts from like 2011.

I wonder how much progress was made on it, and if his partial work is part of the source code repo or not.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol. What was the criteria for the price differences?

They use a system that looks up online pricing, so very momentary spikes in ebay purchases. More likely a new clerk hosed up and priced based on Mario Brothers alone in the box. They have a policy of putting items that are more likely to be stolen behind glass, regardless of the price. So Mario always goes there even when MB/DK gets given an appropriate price. Off the top of my head Tecmo Bowl is another one that is placed under the counter despite its low price.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, Chinese bootlegs reproductions. I got copies of Pulseman and Mega Man: The Wiley Wars from a place that sold pretty much any Genesis ROM in existence slapped onto a cart for $4 including shipping. At that price, I'm satisfied with the results though it's definitely caveat emptor since there's a lot of signs that you could run into problems if you order one of these. Oh, and I'm dead certain that some people are taking these carts, putting them in real cases and passing them off as legit games. I even saw someone on eBay selling one of these explicitly as a reproduction from what was almost definitely the same source for over twenty dollars.

The carts themselves are surprisingly decent. They're made of a softer plastic than real carts and are attached with plastic nuts rather than metal screws, but they feel sturdy. They're not going to fall apart in shipping. The case is intentionally a bit different from standard Genesis case as there's a notch in the side (sadly, not filled in with yellow plastic). So there's no way that a cart from this seller could immediately be passed off as legit to even a casual observer. There's some goofy mangled English on the back of the cart as well warning you not to bend the case in direct sunlight.

The carts feel a bit light so I think they're just blobs on a PCB like a lot of pirate stuff from China. Using nuts to close the case up actually makes it a bit of a pain for me to open it and confirm. I'm confident that they could be turned into a properly counterfeit cart with minimal effort on someone's part which makes me even more suspicious than I typically am regarding online sales of rare games.

Both carts played perfectly, though obviously I could not save in Wiley Wars. Both showed signs that they were just ROMs downloaded from the Internet as Wiley Wars had a "Cracked by" message and Pulseman had a "PAL Conversion by" message. That makes me think that it's always going to be at least a little bit iffy to get exactly what you want from this seller.

The quality of the printing for the label was really good. The choice of image on the label, OTOH, was definitely from the "search the net and stick it on there" school. Pulseman's is kind of close to the Japanese label. Wiley Wars is completely distorted.

So not a perfect product, but if you really want a cart you can plug into your system for certain titles it's not a bad deal for $4. The NES and SNES stuff starts closer to $20 and that's a price range where I'm less comfortable taking a chance with a guy dropping modified roms onto a cart. I've gone ahead and ordered a few more of these reproductions to fill in a collection hole where there's no way I could afford the real thing (that fighting game Treasure made, for example). It's not really going to be worth it to fill out your Genesis collection like this, though.

Pulseman looks so much better on a CRT television than in emulation...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol. What was the criteria for the price differences?

Chicken bones and moon phases.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

I even saw someone on eBay selling one of these explicitly as a reproduction from what was almost definitely the same source for over twenty dollars.

Sourcing cheap poo poo from China and marking it up is something literally every single western company does. :capitalism:

I played Tales of Destiny for a bit yesterday. I had a used copy of the game waybackwhen but never finished it, and in hindsight of SCEA's localization practices, I'm amazed this game slipped through their stupid anti-2D net. There isn't a polygon in sight (minus the world map), and it's beautiful. Same with the PS1 Mega Mans and SotN. Are there any other noteworthy 2D games (minus arcade ports/comps) that avoided this policy? I also had Tales of Eternia, which was amazing except for the 20fps battle engine, but I think by that point SCEA stopped caring.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RichterIX posted:

Are multisystem component cables as good as the OEM ones? I lost my PS2 set and the easiest way to get some in a hurry is to buy the PS3/360/Wii multisystem cables of various brands that are floating around at game stores here.

The ones for PS3 work for PS2, they have the exact same socket type.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Curious to hear how this would work on a Mario World MSU hack

this is rad as hell, and I especially like the Sunshine-style accordion in the underwater cover

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ofecks posted:

Sourcing cheap poo poo from China and marking it up is something literally every single western company does. :capitalism:

I played Tales of Destiny for a bit yesterday. I had a used copy of the game waybackwhen but never finished it, and in hindsight of SCEA's localization practices, I'm amazed this game slipped through their stupid anti-2D net. There isn't a polygon in sight (minus the world map), and it's beautiful. Same with the PS1 Mega Mans and SotN. Are there any other noteworthy 2D games (minus arcade ports/comps) that avoided this policy? I also had Tales of Eternia, which was amazing except for the 20fps battle engine, but I think by that point SCEA stopped caring.

Sony's anti-2D policy waxed and waned with the company's management. For example, Sony released The King of Fighters 95 and Samurai Shodown III first-party, because a former SNK exec was high up at Sony at the time.

Companies like Namco also had enough pull to get 2D games through, especially when Namco had so many pretty 3-D games on the PlayStation.

By the time Tales of Destiny came out in 1998, Sony wasn't nearly as strict about 2-D. Atlus had Guilty Gear and Working Designs had Alundra, to name two examples.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, if I remember correctly the PS1 Mega Men and SotN got through primarily due to Capcom and Konami also making big-ticket 3D games for the system and Sony not wanting to piss them off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to give a thumbs up to Bitmap Books for the Commodore 64 (volume 2) book. I just got my backer copy. A concern people had was that it was just a bunch of screenshots with text and while there are some "guest reviewers" majority are professionals in the field from ex-Commodore magazines to big names like Brian Fargo and Jon Hare. There are artist interviews, company profiles, a highlight of the demo scene, and some unreleased games.

I own a C64 but it's nowhere near an area I'm comfortable with. I can recommend at least the C64 book for people with a curiosity of the platform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, if I remember correctly the PS1 Mega Men and SotN got through primarily due to Capcom and Konami also making big-ticket 3D games for the system and Sony not wanting to piss them off.

Capcom yielded to the no-2D thing at one point though, it's why Mega Man Legends exists at all.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I don't want to think about a world where Symphony of the Night got axed because it wasn't lovely ps1 era 3D. :ohdear:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Code Jockey posted:

I don't want to think about a world where Symphony of the Night got axed because it wasn't lovely ps1 era 3D. :ohdear:

Imagine CV64 but with vertex swimming.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Random Stranger posted:

The carts themselves are surprisingly decent. They're made of a softer plastic than real carts and are attached with plastic nuts rather than metal screws, but they feel sturdy. They're not going to fall apart in shipping. The case is intentionally a bit different from standard Genesis case as there's a notch in the side (sadly, not filled in with yellow plastic). So there's no way that a cart from this seller could immediately be passed off as legit to even a casual observer. There's some goofy mangled English on the back of the cart as well warning you not to bend the case in direct sunlight.

This part, by the way, is so the cart works in a Japanese MD1, since the power switch moves a block into that notch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Capcom yielded to the no-2D thing at one point though, it's why Mega Man Legends exists at all.

I'll take Legends over everything post-SNES, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Out of nowhere, Data Discs started selling a Golden Axe vinyl today: http://data-discs.com/products/goldenaxe

It's the music from the first two MD games on 180g vinyl, with a choice of gold or black (there was a gold/purple swatch option but it's sold out):

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

al-azad posted:

I actually played through Legends not so long ago, and I had a blast. The character models are dated and the lip sync is way off, but the game just bursts with all sorts of descriptions, subquests, and little background details. It even works around the imprecise controls by making most of the enemies slow enough for you to evade.

It's a game that feels as though the developers really wanted to make it and went the extra mile. I always enjoy that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

So not a perfect product, but if you really want a cart you can plug into your system for certain titles it's not a bad deal for $4. The NES and SNES stuff starts closer to $20 and that's a price range where I'm less comfortable taking a chance with a guy dropping modified roms onto a cart. I've gone ahead and ordered a few more of these reproductions to fill in a collection hole where there's no way I could afford the real thing (that fighting game Treasure made, for example). It's not really going to be worth it to fill out your Genesis collection like this, though.

The problem I had with chinese Megadrive repro carts was that the connector part was thicker than the normal ones so I had to use real strength to pull them out from the console. In fact, I broke the cart slot on my previous console trying to get a repro cart out - a couple of pins bent in the process. (I got a new console eventually, that other one just needs a new connector) Some people I know said they had no issues, so I'm thinking the cart slot was a bit looser on their consoles. But for me the experience made me stop using Aliexpress repros carts for the MD. I'm planning on getting some flashcarts anyway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

Really? Even X4 and X5? The X series fell off a cliff after X5, but those two were pretty good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Really? Even X4 and X5? The X series fell off a cliff after X5, but those two were pretty good.

I should stress Legends is legit one of my favorite games. I always come back to it every two or three years and forget just enough to be pleasantly surprised by it all over again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In a world covered by ENDLESS water...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Diggers and their FAH LION MA SHEENS.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

This part, by the way, is so the cart works in a Japanese MD1, since the power switch moves a block into that notch.

The seller offered a Japanese style Megadrive case for the games as well, but that's a nice feature for people who aren't sure what they want.

TeaJay posted:

The problem I had with chinese Megadrive repro carts was that the connector part was thicker than the normal ones so I had to use real strength to pull them out from the console. In fact, I broke the cart slot on my previous console trying to get a repro cart out - a couple of pins bent in the process. (I got a new console eventually, that other one just needs a new connector) Some people I know said they had no issues, so I'm thinking the cart slot was a bit looser on their consoles. But for me the experience made me stop using Aliexpress repros carts for the MD. I'm planning on getting some flashcarts anyway.

I did not have that problem, but when you're dealing with manufacturers whose quality may be pretty variable things like that can happen. Just because I think I got $4 worth of reproduction this time doesn't mean that my new order is going to turn out so well.

And yeah, these are for the extremely niche group of people who need a few expensive physical pieces to fill out a collection ("I don't care if they played it on Game Center CX, that game is not worth $150+ to me"). A flashcart is a better, more certain option for anyone looking for a lot games and who doesn't care about getting the originals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

I should stress Legends is legit one of my favorite games. I always come back to it every two or three years and forget just enough to be pleasantly surprised by it all over again.

Legends is a little iffy for me because of the controls, but you will have to pry my copy of Legends 2 from my cold dead hands. After digging up my grave to get at it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Elliotw2 posted:

Did Japanese Mega Drive stuff have many physical differences from American stuff? I'm surprised to hear it even though I guess I shouldn't be as lots of other companies (and especially Nintendo) had done the same thing at that point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cliff Racer posted:

Did Japanese Mega Drive stuff have many physical differences from American stuff? I'm surprised to hear it even though I guess I shouldn't be as lots of other companies (and especially Nintendo) had done the same thing at that point.

The big one is really just the cartridge notch and matching lock thing on the first Mega Drive:

Effectively it's the same as the notch on old Game Boy titles. Also for whatever reason the PAL region cartridges use the same case as North American.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Gotta say, you can argue SNES versus SFC all day long but I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone defending that Japanese MD cart design as superior.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Gotta say, you can argue SNES versus SFC all day long but I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone defending that Japanese MD cart design as superior.

I like the rounded edges, but don't like the notch.

Also, this is the Sonic 1 MegaDrive cart that I'm more familiar with.

That yellow label just looks wrong.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
you can see the original label under that yellow one. Must have been a sticker.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah the site I pulled that from mentioned the "Yellow Label" Sonic 1 was quite unusual: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/sonic-1-japanese-mega-drive-yellow-label.52537/

Guy seems to think it was originally from some specialty distributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I like the Japanese case honestly, but most of it is because the Japanese case is rigid enough in the Nomad that a bump doesn't cause it to lock up. I keep my Everdrive in a Japanese shell most of the time specifically because of this.

• Locked thread