Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought a FC30 Pro and it's really nice, though it's default mode on Windows is kinda wonky. You can always just plug in a cable and use it in xinput mode at least.
Are you on the latest firmware? I didn't get my 8bitdo controllers until very recently, but I was looking through some of the firmware updates and a lot of them have been about adjusting the default behaviour of the different modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ineffiable posted:

Just curious, is that mod just to keep the receiver to pair up with the controller or something? I know the only concern people have is you have to sync up the controller with the receiver every time the snes is switched off.
I don't have this problem with either my SNES or NES Retro Receiver, which I have paired to an SNES30 controller. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem...

I turn on the SNES, then I turn on the controller by holding Start and it connects automatically within a few seconds. Then I can power cycle the SNES over and over again while I switch carts and the SNES30 controller always reconnects to the RR within seconds of the SNES powering back on.

The only real issue I've had (which isn't really an issue, just a limitation of bluetooth) is moving my one SNES30 controller between the SNES RR and the NES RR. I decided to solve this problem by buying a second controller.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

univbee posted:

The AVS (built-from-the-ground-up NES/Famicom like the Analog NT) should be going up for pre-order today for $189USD.
The difference is that the ANT uses the original CPU/PPU and the AVS uses... something else? SOAC? FPGA?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol

Whats your excuse?
On a similar note, feel free to send me a PM if you need a paypal donation to fix your username. I'm sure "African AIDS Cum" was delightfully edgy to someone at some point, but oh boy has that time come and gone.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nate RFB posted:

Part of it was also so that I could buy all the batteries I'd need in bulk, if I have to get ones with tabs already on them it seems like it'd be a heck of a lot more expensive. Is there a particular pack/deal that might mitigate this?
Do not buy batteries without tabs and then try to solder directly to them. At best the heat from the iron wrecks the battery and cuts its lifespan, at worst it could rupture and injure you.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nate RFB posted:

What about something like this, which eschews the tabbed battery approach with a battery holder mod that is itself soldered into the cart, presumably so that future battery replacements are even easier?
Yeah, that's fine, but it's even more work and cost. Given that the batteries last literal, actual decades, the time savings for your future-self swapping them out again is basically negligible.

Just buy a bunch of them with the tabs already attached and do all your carts at once. It'll cost you less than $2 per, and you'll build up your soldering skills in the process. If you're worried going into it, find a junk circuit board somewhere and do some practice desoldering and soldering. Make sure you use flux.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 11, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elliotw2 posted:

The only games worth considering a holder for would be like Pokémon Gold and Silver, since they will drain a battery in 5-10 years instead of 30.
Yeah, games with a Real-Time Clock hit batteries way harder. I wonder if there are holders that would fit inside a GB cart, though.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Holy poo poo.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I just wanted to say that anyone with an SNES has to buy the SNES30 and the newly released Bluetooth receiver for it. I updated the firmware to both of them and they work perfectly. It is so, so liberating and cool to be able to play a real SNES with a controller as good as the original but without wires. In game reset with the sd2snes is the ultimate in hedonism.

I tried a ton of different games and all worked perfectly. Absolutely zero lag and recall that I'm the guy constantly bitching that there's too much lag when using wireless controllers on Android.

Also kind of funny is I assumed because the receiver had a micro USB port that it had to be charged. No, it is just in case you want to use it as a receiver on the PC. It actually gets the proper voltage from the SNES, which I was surprised it could do.

So far the receiver is only available on 8bitdo's ebay page. I received it in less than a week.
Yeah, I can't say enough nice things about the SNES30 and the SNES RR. Once they got that firmware patch out, they have been perfect. They even work on my gamecube with the RaphNet adapater, so I can play GBA games wirelessly with an SNES controller. Pretty slick!

I also picked up the NES30 and the NES RR. The RR works great, but the NES30 doesn't quite have the same build quality that the SNES30 does. The plastic feels a little cheaper, and the D pad is pretty loose and wiggles around in the slot. The membrane for the D pad also isn't perfect, one of the directions (up) is a bit mushy compared to the others. It's still good enough to use, but it let me down a little after seeing how perfectly they nailed the SNES30.

I also messed around with pairing a Wii U pro controller and a Dual Shock 4. Not sure I'd want to play that way, but they both worked great.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

HMC posted:

Nathan Altice's book I Am Error
This is such a great book, and everyone who wants to understand the NES/Famicom at a more technical level should read it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lime posted:

Die size really doesn't have anything to do with the size of the system.
Fishmech already addressed you in more detail, but honestly, cramming more into smaller and smaller die sizes is responsible for the shrinking size of electronics. You don't get from a giant bag car phone and a laptop to an iPhone without die size advancements.

You should keep reading the book, and whenever you run into something you don't trust at face value, do some research around that topic. You'll wind up learning tons.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TheRedEye posted:

Just a heads up that Everdrive GBA seems to not work with like, the majority of micro SD cards that exist. Hopefully a firmware update can fix it (I'm 0/2 so far), and hopefully I can actually update the firmware considering that it requires, you know, reading off of an SD card.

This is a problem that's plaguing all of Krikzz's MicroSD-only carts. The new Mega Everdrive v2, the EDGB and the EDGBA. They all seem to hate the same brand/models of cards, and work with the same ones. This one works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5HCK/

Krikzz has been pretty unresponsive on the issue, just telling people to try other cards. I spent $50 on various cards just to find one that worked.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone have the gba krikzz flash cart yet? Can you let me know what model of sd card you have working for it? Mine should arrive next week but I'm worried that mine might not work with the sd card I prepped for it already.

So I need to know what model 16 gigabyte ones you guys have that works for sure so I can favorite it in case I need to get it.

Actually, check this thread instead: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5431.0

The compatibility with the EDGBA might be worse than his other MicroSD carts.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of repros and romhacks, has anyone here made a Yoshi's Island romhack cart? Is it substantially different from making Star Fox 2?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Long before we run out of carts that are being cannibalized (ie: Stunt Race FX) the prices on them will have increased past the point anyone would want to spend that much just for "parts" to make something else.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Maybe we should just replace the entire OP with ranked lists of the "good reasons" and the "bad reasons" to play old video games. That way everyone would know where they stand, who was better than who, which fans were "true," and which had "broken brains."

You know, something really alienating and elitist, right out of the gate.

This thread gets REALLY judge-y sometimes, and it's a really poo poo look.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 20, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Fair warning, I have heard the NES one isn't as fantastic as the SNES one. I play the SNES way more than the NES so I never got them so I can't confirm.
Can confirm. I have an NES30 and an SNES30 and the SNES30 has a higher build quality. The NES30 isn't bad or anything, it's just not as good. My NES30 also has a mushy D-pad Up, so I'm going to swap it out, hoping that's just a one-off defect.

The receivers both work great and accept the same controllers, so you could use an SNES30 with the NES receiver, or the NES30 with the SNES one. Or a Wii U pro controller, or a Dual Shock 4. I hope they keep making more receivers. Genesis, N64, Gamecube, PS1/2... It'd be great to play PS1 and PS2 games with a Dual Shock 4.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

URL grey tea posted:

Has anyone else experienced a slight buzzing with the NES30 plugged in? I haven't tried it on my setup yet but a friend had noticable audio buzzing as soon as the bluetooth light came on.
No more so than usual. Audio out of an NES, even/especially if you have an nesrgb, is pretty noisy. I'll second the recommendation to check the power supply.

As for you wanting to replace the mushy d-pad in your NES30, though I cannot confirm with the NES30 because I do not own one, the SNES30 is absolutely identical to the original SNES controller inside (meaning the membranes and stuff). As an experiment I swapped out the d-pad, the d-pad membrane, the ABXY buttons, the ABXY membranes, and the L and R buttons and membranes between a real SNES controller and the SNES30 and it fit perfectly.
Heh, first thing I did, actually. I have a handful of extra SNES replacement membranes, and they aren't a perfect fit for the NES30, they're just a tiny bit too small.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 20, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That little steering wheel!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

Even through it won't be back in stock until October, how is the PSIO?
I got my March order this week (5 1/2 months) and here's my quick review:

It takes a long time to arrive after ordering.

Installing the switch board is easy if you've done fine-point soldering before (ps1 or ps2 modchips, etc) the only really tricky part is cutting the traces. One slip of the hand and you've either wrecked the board or given yourself a hell of a rework job. You also have to be careful with how you route the wires, so they don't get pinched by the metal RF shields when you reassemble the system. I had to re-route one wire I was absolutely sure I had put in a safe place due to how big the bottom RF shield is.

Converting ReDump images to the single-bin and CU3 format the PSIO wants is pretty simple. You can do it by hand, use the tool they offer on their website, or there's a utility I found that will do it in batches. However, I think there's a bug (either in the tool or the PSIO) and I had to manually fix all of the CU3 text files to get them to work. I tweeted at the tool's author that I would fix it if he uploaded the source code, but he never replied. I might run the tool through a .NET decompiler and fix it that way.

Once I had the switch board installed, console reassembled, and the PSIO plugged in, it booted right into the menu. There's a video that plays on the first boot which is kinda weird. Then I loaded the SD card up with a bunch of converted games and played around. Compatibility is good but not great. A lot of stuff works just fine, very few things straight up don't work, but a whole bunch of things exhibit weird issues. FMV skipping, distorted audio, and freezing being the most common. I'd really like to play SOTN, but the audio is all hosed up and sounds awful.

The biggest concern to me is that there's very little info on their forums about when/if future software updates will be coming to address these issues. They're receptive to people reporting issues, but there's no clear, "Yeah, we're gonna fix this stuff, and here's a bunch of updates to show we mean it." I think there's been one major update to it during all of 2016.

I bought one because I'm trying to convert all my optical disc based systems to SD card loading for longevity. Unless that goal is high on your list, buy a spindle of CD-Rs and install a PS1 modchip. 100% compatibility at a tiny fraction of the price.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Good news! Krikzz has returned from vacation and put out a new ED GBA update that "Improve[s] SD cards compatibility".

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5509.0

Just pop the update file on your SD card and... oh.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The latest from Krikzz on the ED GBA: "I will release bootloader update, but i should make update tool first. However, you will need sd card which can load OS to launch bootloader update"

Apparently older SD Micro cards seem to work more reliably, so if you have an old 2gb or 4gb card lying around, it'll probably let you update it so you can use a modern 16gb or 32gb card for ROMs.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Just avoid Roppongi; it's a garbage city full of garbage people.
Dave Lang (ex-Midway dev, current C3PO of Iron Galaxy) has some great stories on his podcast about getting Roppongi'd.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Another ED GBA update, including bootloader.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5528

I'm glad he's working on it, but it still sucks for people caught in a catch 22.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Asbrandt posted:

I gave up on this as soon as Ikari announced becoming a parent and you should too.
Yeah, it's taken Ikari 2 (?) years to get cheat support in, and there's still no GUI for it.

SuperFX or SA-1 support would have to come from someone else at this point.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Does the SD2SNES board have those two extra sets of connectors on the side that SuperFX games have?
Yes. Super FX support has always been (sort of) part of the plan, if you go back and read Ikari's comments and posts from like 2011.

I wonder how much progress was made on it, and if his partial work is part of the source code repo or not.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
So, who here has experience with romhacks on repro carts? I've got myself into a weird situation where the game almost works. I'm still messing around, but if anyone knows what's happening I'd appreciate any and all help.

Here's what the cart does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjuRjE43tiU
As you can see the logo at the start shows up, the music plays fine, the text at the bottom appears... but all of the graphics are garbled and it eventually reboots.

Here's what I've done:
I picked up a JPN Yoshi's Island and an M27C160-100 16mbit EPROM. I cleaned the cart and tested it before desoldering the Mask ROM. I patched a valid YI ROM to SMW2+2 and verified that the file worked in higan. I then burned it to the EPROM using a GQ-4x4 programmer. It wrote and verified, and I have re-verified the chip a bunch of times. I wired a 42pin socket to the board using this diagram which should, according to my understanding, convert the chip to 8bit mode. I've used my multimeter to test all the connections at least twice now, and the socket is connected using kynar that's not longer than about 3 inches.

In my testing, I took another M27C160 EPROM and burned the stock YI ROM to it, and it does the exact same things (logo, music fine, garbled graphics, reboots). So it's likely not a problem in the romhack, but something I've done wrong. Can anyone spot my fuckup? I'm really confused about why the music plays just fine and the text shows up, but all the other graphics are junk. Other carts play fine in my SNES, so the connector there is clean, and I've cleaned the pins on this cart a few times in testing, just to make sure I didn't re-dirty them while working on it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nate RFB posted:

What's the best suggestion for getting a new battery into GB/GBA games? It looks like finding CR2025's with the holder/tabs is a lot harder than it is for the 2032.
Tons of them on eBay, with tabs, in both those sizes.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

xamphear posted:

So, who here has experience with romhacks on repro carts? I've got myself into a weird situation where the game almost works. I'm still messing around, but if anyone knows what's happening I'd appreciate any and all help.

Here's what the cart does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjuRjE43tiU
As you can see the logo at the start shows up, the music plays fine, the text at the bottom appears... but all of the graphics are garbled and it eventually reboots.
Not that anyone cares, but with some help I got from a knowledgeable guy over on nesdev, I managed to determine the problem was... The crappy off-brand kynar I was using, causing noise across the address lines. I redid the wiring and now I've got a socketed Super FX flash cart. First up is what I originally wanted, playing the SMW2+2 Yoshi's Island romhack.

If I ignore the programmer and other supplies, the cost is $9 for the JPN SMW2 cart and $3 for the EPROM.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 12, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

InvadErGII posted:

It's connected to video via RF (yeah, I know) and to power via a Sega Trio adapter. It's usually connected to a Sega CD and 32X, though it does that when it's by itself too. Is this thing fried?
My guess is that something is overheating or failing once it gets warm. Maybe the 7805, maybe the video chip, maybe the RF module. Probably not the CPU, since I'd expect that to result in faster lockups and a different kind of video corruption. There are things you can test, if you have the tools, but if not and given how cheap a new Genesis is... Maybe just get another one?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 14, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

OK this makes sense, thank you. But then only makes me wonder why the hell the NES used AC.
It seems like a major difference (AC vs DC?!?) but really it's not. There are just a couple small parts put inside the NES instead of the wall wart, where they would usually go. You even feed the NES DC (as I do) and those parts are effectively bypassed.

I have to imagine they did it for cost reasons? If I had to guess I'd say that inside the NES wall wart is just a transformer and some wires, no PCB at all. By eliminating that part, they might have cut the price of the adapter by a bunch.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 15, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

RZA Encryption posted:

I've never played a final fantasy game.
There's never been a better time to start!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It (and the NES one) both work great, both with their controllers and a DS4 or Wii U Pro controller. It's all I use these days when playing SNES or NES. There's certainly a few ms of lag, but it's gotta be absolutely tiny, probably single digits.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Who else in here is a PSIO owner? There are a few of us who have managed to get one, right? Well, turns out there's been a wee bit of a situation over on the psxdev forums.

Shadow has been the one producing and selling the PSIO units, but apparently the brains behind the device and code is cybdyn. A few days ago cybdyn posts something vague and poorly communicated (he's not a native English speaker) that basically sounded like "I don't think I'm going to make any more firmware updates for the PSIO." Which is pretty bad, given the long list of compatibility issues that exist with the current firmware. User reaction is reasonably negative to this development, so Shadow says he's going to bring someone else onboard to re-code a new firmware from the ground up. Then cybdyn claims he's not even getting paid for the units that are sold, which Shadow denies and says it's a misunderstanding or miscommunication on cybdyn's part.

The whole situation sounds pretty bad to me, and if anyone here was thinking about getting in on the next batch of orders, I'd strongly advise against it. My PSIO order took something like 6 months to arrive, and the first thing I did after installing it was to go online and order a 12F629 PIC so I could program it as a modchip and then soldered that in as well. There are just a whole slew of games that don't work right, and if firmware development has stopped or has to completely start over... I don't think it's going to be getting better any time soon. It's a real shame too, given how capable the device seems.

If you enjoy drama, follow along here: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=880&start=280

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I know he is Australian but that is a bit harsh.
Heh.

Shadow is the Aussie, and cybdn is... Belorussian? I think? That's what it says under his avatar on psxdev anyway.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

xamphear posted:

Who else in here is a PSIO owner? There are a few of us who have managed to get one, right? Well, turns out there's been a wee bit of a situation over on the psxdev forums.

-snip-

If you enjoy drama, follow along here: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=880&start=280
The situation appears to have deteriorated overnight, with Shadow and cybdyn both throwing fairly nasty accusations around and airing the whole thing out in public. Which can only mean their direct communications have fallen apart or stopped outright. Things aren't looking good, and I think everyone should stay way from ordering a PSIO until there's a clear indication that firmware progress has resumed.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Linking to SNES roms is still okay to do here, right? Rules says old/out of print ROMs are okay to link to. Assuming that's true...

Making MSU-1 patched games is a pain, we should get completed ones zipped up and uploaded somewhere for easy sharing. I've got F-Zero, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World I could upload.

Edit VVVVVV: Well... fudge.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 16, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Monopthalmus posted:

Not officially supported but I've been seeing lots of people on Twitter posting pictures of them working on NESRGB modded consoles. Same with N64. Not official, but still seems to work.
Anything that's been RGB modded and has a Nintendo Multi-Out connector will work. An NES with the nesrgb mod and a 3D printed connector works great, as does an N64, though mine has true CSync, rather than Sync on Luma (but I bet that works too).

The only thing I haven't tested with the cable I had is a Gamecube with the new GCVideo analog board. I highly suspect that wiring up the output of that to the Multi-Out would totally work, though. I've been meaning to get one to test with my scart cable and framemeister.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

...until I know that I am able to get the PSIO...
You sure that's the wisest choice, given what's been happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

I didn't see anything last page? That a shame if it dead then, as my old PS1 probably can't read discs at this point.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100&userid=27780#post465322021

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100&userid=27780#post465341158

• Locked thread