Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MegaGear is awesome stuff.

Hey, how hard is it to replace the batteries in NES and SNeS cartridges? I figure you get a New Battery, wire up some leads to it, alligator clip to cart, replace old battery on cart, all to prevent the memory from wiping.

That sound right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

You guys are saying streaming makes games look bad, I'm saying it makes them look like how I played them on a 12" CRT with RF in and I won't have it any other way.
Maybe if all you played were SegaCD FMV games on an 8" tv or something.

Oddly enough, I don't remember any macroblocking artifacting on my copy of SFII Champion Edition.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I liked the form factor of the GBA, but the GBa SP basically made it a handheld that didn't look like a child's Nerf/Nickelodeon toy and finally gave it a backlight.

Kind of a low effort example of the iPodening of electronics, too.

The GBA was like the last bastion of fun sprite-based games too. The Lilo & Stitch game that came out for is was some awesome iteration on the Capcom platformer series of the 90s. And I'm sure Advance Wars was one of the prime reasons I tanked my grades the first year of University.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 4, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

Have you been introduced to the rich Chakan mythos?

Some of those 80's/90's creators with one cult hit under their belt got weird.
Uh, I would unironically and unapologetically read all those, yo. (Art is pretty bad, though).

I always really, really liked Chakan even though the game was hard as balls. Overconfident Pilgrim-looking motherfucker gets tasked by death to destroy evil, and later learns he has to wait until humans figure out how to travel to the stars to fix other worlds? Sign me the gently caress up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

falz posted:

What's a modchip to look at for the PlayStation (not psOne)? I'd imagine it may depend on its revision perhaps?

To burn CDs of course.
If you have one of the models with the serial port on the rear-left of the unit, you usually get a GameShark/Goldfinger enhancer and do the swap trick.

Multi-disc games can be an absolute pain to work, though. For example, Lunar SSSC has a disc switch after a cinematic with no save, so you have to do an active disc swap before the drive reads the legit disc. Took me a while to do.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a lot of those weird motion cabinet shooter dollareater games that come out for Dave n Busters or Chucky Cheese joints. I've seen Jurassic Park, Batman, and Silent Hill themes ones.

But a Luigi's Haunted Mansion? That's as weird as the Sugar Rush Mario Kart cabinet o saw at a Chucky Cheese.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I picked this weekend to leave my laptop at work so...

Does anyone have the M2 or NP files somewhere on DirectDownload or do I have to crawl the realms of Torrents for those now?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Still the SNES is the greatest console ever in my opinion. And I would have loved to see how some games would have turned out for it.
I'd be interested in seeing how they used the native SNES sound capability.

I was playing the PSx remake of Lunar last month and I realized that the drat basic attack/damage/deflect sounds come from that farty FM Synth library on the Genesis.
So basically I'm imagining WorkingDesigns games paired with sound that wasn't terrible and a color palette worth something.

As for life without PlayStation?
Resident Evil probably wouldn't have happened, and that was huge in getting people excited for the possibilities of 3D games. Silent Hill might have worked on the N64 thanks to the fog, but the demonic content probably would have been changed. We wouldn't have the poorly voiced MegaMan X sequels, we'd lose a lot of those weird games that were able to be made because of the freshness of the system (PaRappa, Wipeout, 3d fighters).

Most notably:
Not sure what Metal Gear Solid would have looked like, but it wouldn't have had the rich fully voiced dialogue that made it a milestone. 3D Open World Concept games would be stuck on the Mario64 model without GTA3 coming to the PS.
And don't even get started on what FF7 would have turned out to be.

d0s posted:

e: has anyone else noticed that this is one of the few hardware-centered hobbies where you're not constantly chasing upgrades beyond a few really simple things?
EH. I feel like this is only really applicable because of the nature of the hobby. You're chasing after depreciated/obsolete tech, so the high-end of it seems like finding ways to finagle it to be acceptable at modern standards and with modern connection types. In 10 years when the TVs do SuperHDR+ at 16K we'll be evolving boardhacks and mods to go with that.

Like, you could be perfectly content with a NES running composite/mono and a handful of old games, but then you look into clipping the 10NES Lockout and while you're at it you probably go and pick up a new 72 pin connector and then you learn that there's an HD-NES mod with integrated HDMI out that renders pixel-perfect on your screen and then you figure well I could use a wireless control setup too and well I kind of don't NEED the entire library but I can fit it to a 10Mb thumbdrive I have from high school so sure where can I pick up a MasterTendo Cart...

And now that you have the god-emperor NES you start thinking this Dreamcast on Craigslist is $20 and probably just needs a swapped out disc drive and the USB DreamCart mod is only $175 and...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 14, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

The N64 was very good at 3D, the only problem was Nintendo skimped on the texture cache for no reason so it couldn't apply high quality textures to the high quality and fast 3D rendering, unless you were a very good developer.
That's really the thing's greatest sin (Turok fog aside). Unless it was very deliberately designed around, like with Mario64's colorful aesthetic, the N64 catalogue looked like someone had gone over everything with a smudge tool.

The PSx makes everything look like it's hewn from ultrajagged stone that had about 10 sharpen masks applied to it, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mutant Apocalypse isn't a terrible game though

True Story I once ran across 8 NCAA SNES games CiB at Goodwill. Couldn't bring myself to buy a Sportsball game so I left them to the ages.

TV chats: My dream TV is still that JBL Xtreme set with the built in speakers and subwoofer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oddly enough The Warriors for the Xbox one (The First Xbox, the one that is xhuge) is a title that's eluded their vaunted backwards comp forever.

Which sucks because that's the version I bought when my movie theatre had an in-house Xbox for game night rentals

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

They probably were lying about it being new, yo.
I purchased a Brand New copy of MKXL about a week after it came out because I was in the mall and GameStop was there and my buddy was interested in the new MK game.

They tried to sell me a manual-less CD that was placed in their little paper sleeve things.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Some other stuff I remember they sold: Super Punch Out boxer shorts, a Killer Instinct wristwatch, uh, that's actually kind of all I remember. Probably for the better.
I think they sold little holders for, like, the Megaman X pogs or faux Topps cards they had in a few issues.

I purchased the Ocarina soundtrack and the Ocarina of Time pocket watch and a little brass LoZ bracelet from that thing. Don't remember if I paid for it or if it was like a Renew your Subscription promo

But bah GAWD some of that swagstuff was really tempting to a little kid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Joe Man posted:

Can take pictures tomorrow, feel free to PM me if interested.
The JVC is probably out of my price range but the stack of CDs sounds interesting. Please do link the thread once it gets up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aw c'mon, is a 32X really worth $200. Even CiB, it's a 32X.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MSU hacks are always kind of meh in my mind, because I have yet to hear one that's been orchestrated by a team and instead it comes off of 'Hey this OCremix sounds great shove it in there instead of Boomer_Kwanger.mid'.

Plus the FMV animation is baaaaad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yeah but isn't it really trivial to replace the music? . . . Even so I would just replace the .PCM files with ones I personally prefer.
Maybe? I'm not sure. But only replacing some leads to the problem: a patchwork of songs with varying instrumentation/styles that just makes everything clash.

I mean, even if MMX has a range to its soundtrack, it's all still using the same range of midi sounds available from the SNES. Someone's cobbled together tracklist usually isn't as tight sounding.

quote:

Really? I thought the Link to the Past one fit perfectly, wasn't that cheesy, and actually did a great job of explaining why you were living with your uncle in the first place.
It kind of overstays its welcome in my opinion. You kind of start noting the deviant art quality design and animation after like 20 seconds.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BisterdDave posted:

What gaming music immediately brings you back?
The SegaCD era usually hits me hard in the nostalgia. Road Avenger's weird music video OP (when ah ammmm..... On the rooooad!), Sonic CD, pretty much all of the Lunar soundtrack. On the SnES side, the complete soundstone ditty from Earthbound and Megaman X's music are pretty good, and the title screen music to Link to the Past is just epic.

Road Avenger
https://youtu.be/9CNf3luFiLw

MMX Spark Mandrill
https://youtu.be/sfb79vnpcxk

Lunar
Sad Theme
https://youtu.be/AU2KuLetRsY

Overworld Arrangement
https://youtu.be/WtOfhXli8XQ

Earthbound
Eight Melodies
https://youtu.be/bM-BfVcS6Ho

Link to the Past
https://youtu.be/JM1j2zp3gx8

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 29, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

Shooting games are fun but I've never understood the fighting genre. Once you find the one why would I play anything else?
After you've played Raiden III or Gradius, why would you try IKaruga, ChoAniki, Parodius, or Twinkle Star Sprites??

I mean, I pretty much think SF3:3rd Strike is the tits, but I'll still love Soul Calibur 2 for its 3D plane and characters, X-Men v SF or Marvel V Capcom for its craziness, or Super SF2: Hyper for Guile Wins.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

Even if you made the argument that shooters all play alike they're still visually interesting and varied enough to encourage seeing the end, plus score attack for mastering the core game.
I mean, the same can be said of a lot of fighters? Especially those in franchises. The differences between SF2 and SF3 are pretty stark. Even SF2/SSF2 have some subtle but interesting changes, to say nothing of the sound/graphics upgrades.

Even the shooters I mentioned have some pretty big differences between them. Ika's color shot system, gradius's variable upgrades/Option, Raiden's 3 weapons system... Hell, Raiden and Gradius don't even scroll in the same direction.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

And that's why I don't understand the appeal. Professional athletes aren't bouncing from one sport to another.
Are you too young to remember Bo Knows Baseball/Football? Or Michael Jordan trying out AAA Baseball after retiring from the Bulls?

quote:

So what's the point of a new fighter when it's intentionally designed to be familiar?
Different graphics styles, different SFX greebles, the fact that the gaming industry can't poo poo out the same exact game every year and expect to survive? Different fighters have unique design concerns. They need a semi-standardized interface because it's easier to assume the fact that FF+1 or QcF+P gives you a move than WeaponLord's extreeeeeem "find the moves out on your own newb" hardcore philosophy. What they do with it can be pretty different, like KI's ability to create giant chains of combos that can be interrupted, or SF's concern with control of spacing because of its 2D plane.

Even within the franchises themselves, new games can promote new mechanics. SF3's parry is a high risk, moderate reward system for a neophyte, SF4 is more cinematic with its super moves, and SSF2's introduction of supers made it possible to turn a losing round around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

Jordan's journey into baseball is not remember fondly though it did give us Space Jam.
true. That's kind of what happens when an elite athlete tries to go beyond the event they've drilled countless years into their bodies. Not everyone's a decathlete and all.

quote:

Hmm, well, about that.
We like to laugh at Capcom's Hyper Extended Special Champion Edition incremental updates, but if you look at the history of just SF2, the game changed significantly from update to update. SF2's combos were an odd byproduct of its hitstun timings, and the head-to-head competition was innovative at the time. SF2 Hyper was a byproduct of people getting bored with Vanilla SF2 and hackers speeding things up to increase the challenge/decrease matchup times. It also introduced the expanded roster with the Bosses. Then Super introduced more fighters, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

I've been playing some X-Men 2 now that I've finished up my work for the day. I played it a few times before, but I don't remember it being this awkward.
It's a fun sidescroller, but it suffers from bad design of the era (like "find the exit amidst these identical and confusing corridors!").

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If you're going into Diablo, do it right and grab yourself a trainer after the first few missions so you become a walking mountain of gently caress.

Actually, scratch that. Play the first few missions with friends and in voice chat and revel in the sheer insanity that is trying to stay alive.

Then turn into mountains of gently caress. All of you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Uhh... that looks like something that was published in the school newspaper or something he self-published in the Family Journal Monthly or something.

Personally, I know I went through a period when I was just using a bunch of fonts and effects (GRADIENTS WHOAHHHH) because I had just been given a computer. The results were bad, but I intuited a lot about what makes things terrible thanks to it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I bring this up every time people mention pushing the envelope but holy poo poo have you people seen Jungle Book for GBC:

Goddamn.

Mowgli takes buttcoin :eyepop:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dang! Can someone with better technical knowledge of how this works explain the process? That's pretty cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Even if the aesthetic was low res, the NES couldn't have handled the sprite variety or game palette. Even as a dumb kid I knew it belonged on the SNES, despite it not being fauxCGI jizz.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PS3 playing back Ps1 will give you weird graphics for transparency effects, because some of those used the interlacing as a cheat.

I saw this a lot when I replayed Lunar/Lunar2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elliotw2 posted:

Lunar 1/2 probably used it because the Sega CD couldn't do transparency.
The Saturn could, though, right? That's the code base I assume they used.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Am I the only sperg that's totally excited for the NES Mini and being able to play those games, despite having the entire NES library sitting in a 50 Mb folder of my hard drive and being able to play whatever whenever for over 15 years?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In 5 years when we get cheap, reliable screen casting, the N64 Pocket will have a wired control and you'll just sit it next to you or on the floor to play.

Then you'll pop the VirtualBoy Glasses on after you're sick of playing Goldeneye.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There isn't a 3D print shape ways thing you can get??

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, FF7 definitely owns still. It's kind of amazing the technological leap between 7 and 8 too, like the detail of the player models and enemy models went waaaaay up.
I get the feeling that FF7 suffered a bit from the initial (rumored?) assumption that it would be an N64/64DD game. That would explain the blocky SD versions of the characters that usually appear on the overworld. I'm sure the success of VII let them spend a pretty penny on training/acquiring actually competent 3D modellers, as well.

I have to admit that I was impressed that they were including fightscene-quality character models for the overworld, and actually included the whole drat team behind you.

I remember when, for a brief time, the standard ZOMG SO MANY POLYFLOPs graphics :circlefap: from Sony about the Ps2 was how the Ballroom scene from FF8 was being rendered in real time thanks to the raw power of the Emotion Engine.

//Oh yeah content:
My wife needed to walk, so we went to the Goodwill and while I was looking for awesome 90s CDs, I found a boxed copy of Wing Commander 3, plus a jewel CD of Myth II.

Games I've never played but always heard about! Yay!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 25, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zaphod42 posted:

Why? Because the N64 can't render very many polygons? Huh?
No, you dingus. It's because the general look of the Popeye SD models is supremely something that would be at place in an N64 game. Especially since they reflect a growth of the emotive range that was present in the sprites in FFVI (basically big vaudeville mime actions).
Plus it would, like, make sense that they would say "We can pretty much just reuse these design assets and maybe change them later guys". That seems like a lazy Squaresoft thing to do.

quote:

FF8 was on PS1, are you talking about a tech demo or something?
Lol. Everyone laugh at the newb that didn't know about the Eyes on Me Tech Demo

Yeah, Square basically said "Remember when we tried to do an anime version of that scene from Beauty and the Beast? Check out how nice it would be on the Ps2, taking advantage of all the increased texture memory and antialiasing graphics stuff. Looks amazing right? Oh, we forgot to mention it's not a prerendered movie, but an actual in-engine live render. :agesilaus:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Winter's theme from Earthbound is also a great Christmasy track.

Actually, I recall a goon putting a playlist together during the days of filez forums. Maybe someone still has that kicking around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah the rest of the games are passable. You don't see the blocky jags that they would have had at home (some of them have an interesting outline effect going on), but they're not doing insane sprite scaling, rotation, prismatic palettes or anything like that. The little death blips are smoother than a console, but roughly equivalent.

Popeye is just an enormous lie. You weren't getting sprites that big, that animated, or that detailed even in the arcade. And while the arcade sprites were good, you weren't getting the same kind of seamless Cuphead-like replication of an animated short like in that commercial.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So it looks like I'm moving soon. I've got the 50 or so games I own stuffed into a bookshelf now, which is terrible since its so deep. What's the standard recommendation for a nice waist-level shelf for games?? Thinking I'll place some shelves under a window.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

XYZ posted:

I think people will get better at making MSU-1 audio patches with time. I think it's really cool that it can even be done.
This is unironically something that a group like OCRemix is best suited at. (Trouble is they would have to hire someone to work as the musical director and whatnot, in addition to all the legal red tape).

But I agree with Random Stranger. Most of the MSU stuff I've heard is "Let us take the music from Spark Mandrill's stage and throw a bunch of electric guitar distortion on it" or they make the track too dense. Or the tracks they rip into the game don't quite gel together.

That it's possible is an interesting little side-trip into the realm of "I like Old but want to add some New" like the HD NES mods and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DalaranJ posted:

It amuses me how cagy early developers were about their outsourcing, like they know the secret to where the nazi gold was buried or something.
I'm wondering if this is related to that Japanese industry habit of using pseudonyms for devs to keep them from being poached by other companies.

fishmech posted:

Didn't Nintendo threaten to revoke licenses in the NES days for it? I'm probably misremembering, but I could swear it was one of many piddly little things they'd try to gently caress up your access to selling legit NES titles in US/Europe over.

I'm probably wrong but I think Nintendo had a cap on releases so a company like LJN couldn't just flood the market with lovely games. This was to safeguard the brand against an Atari-like crash of confidence.

Ironically, this led to studios forming sub-brands (I think ULTRA games was Konami?) to get around it.

• Locked thread