Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Topolino posted:

I think that for streaming it is fine, but obviously you will get better video quality from upscaling RGB trough the Framemeister. The same applies while capturing video to upload, with the added detail that the Framemeister will save you a lot of time as correctly upscaling 240p video to HD on your own can be time consuming and may requiere that you learn to use tools like Avisynth to properly deinterlace and upscale the video to HD. I mean, the Elgato can capture nice looking video on it's own, and you may find that you do not need to alter the video quality, but you can also get better results by tinkering with the resultant videos (HD stuff is fine without needing any modification).

I have not used the Elgato to stream S-Video stuff, only to capture to later edit in Premiere. If you are going to use the N64, or anything that outputs 240p, it will probably be best that you also include a CRT TV and a S-Video booster/splitter in your setup. The Elgato will attempt to send the 240p signal to your TV trough HDMI, so you can play in real time while the video is being recorded with a signficant delay in your computer, but it is possible that your TV might not accept this video signal trough HDMI or frequently black out during gameplay (this happened with an older Sony Bravia and a newer LG). In my setup, I connect the Saturn trough S-Video to the booster/splitter, then from the splitter one cable to the CRT and another to the Elgato.

Elgato includes it's own PS3 component cable that connects directly from the console to the device. It cannot capture video trough HDMI from the PS3. The benefit of recording PSOne content from the PS3 is that it will be nicely upscaled to High Definition, so you do not have to do anything for it to look as good as it can get. Please keep in mind that the Elgato cannot capture 240p content from component cables, only from composite and S-Video, so using the PS2 with the component cable will not work. Also, the S-Video cable for Elgato is sold separately (or at least that was my case a few years back).

Again, the Framemeister (or any other similar alternative device) is not necessary, and it is a very expensive solution, between the device and the necessary cables. It really depends on the video quality you want. The Retron may be the easiest route. It's going to depend on how the video quality feels to you.

Streaming S-Video stuff works/looks perfectly fine. I have used mine to stream SNES and Saturn stuff and it looks great on stream. I am sure RGB would be ever so slightly better but with the compression put on the video the improvement would be ever so slight.

I will second your warning about 240p signals with it. Check if your TV can handle what you want to play with the pass through. If it works, it makes things really easy. If it doesn't you will be having to do a split to a CRT and that can be more a hassle when you just want to do a quick thing for awhile.

I have to say the Elgato is a pretty impressive little piece of hardware and have been nothing but impressed with it since I got it. My only complaint is they recently added some weird audio thing to their drivers which I don't want/need. I have to do some work to remove all that nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TheRedEye posted:

I replaced my Elgato with an internal Micomsoft card and never looked back. Elgato is okay, but it compresses the heck out of your video, and sometimes does strange things. Like, when we streamed Raw Danger, the audio (even from our microphone) would cut out for about 1-2 seconds whenever the screen went completely black.

If I were doing more streaming regularly I'd probably go for a Micomsoft, although does it still have that weird CPU bug? That was what kept me away originally.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Light Gun Man posted:

Japanese gaming magazines need to get scanned for the internet ASAP far as I'm concerned. They have decades of poo poo we probably don't even know is there, countless tie-in manga we've never seen, etc. There's barely any effort into that field at all other than like some of the PC Engine or Neo Geo communities maybe.

Sadly I imagine a ton of Japanese stuff is likely lost forever. The Japanese consider paper media (newspapers, magazines, manga, etc.) disposable. After it is read they will throw it away or recycle it.

A bunch of US and Euro stuff is lost to time and we invented hoarding. I hate to think what is lost in Japan.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
If you can get a decent screen for the Aero City model then I might have a use for all these Pi Zeros I have been buying.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Pokemon Puzzle League is legit.

Yeah Panel De Pon/Tertis Attack/Puzzle League is among the best puzzle games ever made.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Here is a odd question. Does a model 1 Japanese Megadrive work with a US Sega CD?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I believe it does but, the Sega CD is region locked to only play US Sega CD games. You'd need something like a Mega Everdrive to load a region BIOS or install a mod.

Edit: Looked into this further. Apparently US and European Sega CDs will not work with a Japanese Mega Drive. But for some reason a Japanese Sega CD does not have this check.

That is the craziest thing. Oh well I guess I will have to do a shell swap like I was originally expecting. I just hate the look of the US Model 1 Genesis for some reason. The Mega Drive aged a lot better, much like the SuFami to the SNES. The early 90s were not kind to America and console redesigns.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

liquid courage posted:

drat, this is a pretty attractive option for super famicom owners, and i really like that they have a mock sfc controller and everything. i don't play the sfc nearly as much as my other consoles because of the super short controller cords... as nostalgic as it is to sit on the floor, it just becomes an actual pain in the rear end after about an hour or more. i've kinda gone back and forth about possibly taking snes controllers and swapping out the cords with sfc ones, but i don't like the idea of mangling oem controllers like that. i'll probably pick one up when i get paid next week.

I swapped the boards out on my SFC and SNES controllers and there is no mangling involved. They are exactly the same so it is a non destructive change. Only downside is the SFC doesn't have the concave X and Y buttons which is the only improvement Nintendo made with the SNES over the SFC.

For those that are interested in the 8bitdo stuff if you have a Microcenter near you they carry the full line of their products, including the bluetooth adapters.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Did that person who was going to make replacement SFC tops to fit SNES carts ever get around to doing it or is it vapor? I wish SNES to SFC adaptors were more common.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Monopthalmus posted:

I think he means a replacement top for the SFC that would let SNES carts fit in (they are too big/the wrong shape and there is no tab removal solution for the SFC to play SNES games).

Which actually sounds pretty rad and I would grab one because I love the SFC hardware.

You are correct. There was a guy l think it was the same one who does the 3D printed multi AV port for the NES was working on a replacement top but that was months ago and to be honest I don't always keep up to date with that stuff as I should.

Adaptors are strangely really hard to find and extremely expensive for being nothing but a passthrough. I am utterly amazed someone hasn't made some up since it would take a weekend and cost next to nothing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

It really is amazing how much emotion they're able to express with just 16-bit sprites and a few animations. FF6 and Super Mario RPG both do a ton of pantomime that really sells the charm. Especially Mario who is entirely silent.

I think that is something that JRPGs, especially Square, lost over the next years. Once they started going to full voice acting you lost tons of emotion and connections to characters.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I own a Sega CD again for the first time since the 90s. Now to try to get a 32X for less than a stupid amount of money people are trying to ask for now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elliotw2 posted:

They're like $40 or less with most of the cables.

Where are you seeing these at? Most I am seeing are around $80 which is way more than is worth. I'd gladly pay $40.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Soul Glo posted:

I bought a Model 1 Genesis and apparently the AV cable is different from the Model 2 and it didn't come with one.

:argh:

It looks cool tho

I just got a Model 1 this week myself. If you are running composite just got for this and this for audio it works like a charm.

I am waiting for a RGB cable at the moment. I forgot how bad composite looks.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Direct link:

http://i.imgur.com/mquzVIb.jpg

That's a cell phone snap of SMB1 from my PVM over direct RGB. Component probably wouldn't be too much different.

A digital capture over S-Video from my NESRGB-modded AV Famicom:

I believe Rirse's plan is to get his NES modded with the NESRGB board and an SNES-style multi-av out, and then use one of those Retrovision SNES component cables (that adapt raw RGB to component format internally) with it to use it over component video on his TV. There's also the NESRGB daughterboard that converts RGB and adds component output, but that would definitely cost more and involve more work to add the connections for it (if nothing else).

Honestly at this point you are better off getting a HiDef NES in a NES/Fami, around the same cost of a RGB mod, more features and you won't require any other hardware to hook it up to a modern TV.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Vita died because it turns out "hey it plays the exact same games as PS3, but portable with a $250+ buy-in" was a terrible business strategy to build a sales base on. Especially without any actual mainstream-market exclusives to prop it up past launch.

No, the steep price coupled with the aforementioned proprietary obscenely expensive memory cards right when the price of Micro SD started to drop like a rock, modern cell phones doing the exact same things for a cheaper price (for the average consumer on contract) and no real AAA system sellers anywhere near the launch spelled it's doom.

I think that if they had changed to Micro SD when they came out the revision and pushed the platform as a indie dev/game wonderland it very well might have had a real second life. But, there was no way to get people on board with the same problems no matter what was coming out on it. The Vita is actually a pretty impressive system but completely bungled and mismanaged it's entire life. Part of me would love to see what Sony would do with another handheld but I am as aware as they are that the handheld market, especially in Japan, is either cell phones or Nintendo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So my copies of Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG arrived from the Land of the Rising Sun tonight. I swapped the boards for my SNES copies and now I have no reason to ever break out my SNES again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Pegnose Pete posted:

Is this easy to do? I have a 1CHIP SFC and want an EverDrive, but I replay Super Mario RPG once every year or two, and Yoshi's Island is also pretty essential.
Assuming you just take the boards out of the SNES carts and tuck them inside Japanese ones? I need to open my SNES ones up to replace the batteries soon anyway.

Oh yeah. The PCBs are almost exactly the same. Just have a game bit screwdriver, open up the shell and swap the boards.

I say almost exactly because it seems that the Japanese version of Yoshi's Island uses a different version of the Super FX chip. I need to research it more now that I noticed it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

plasticbugs posted:

Okay, I've figured out that it IS my TV. I've been playing through my Framemeister with heavy scanlines on, so I didn't notice it was doing this bullshit smoothing thing. It's a brand new TV and I suggest you all avoid it like the plague for retro gaming.

It's an LG OLED65B6P. gently caress this TV. Holy gently caress. If I had known, I would have returned it a month ago when we got it. I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for it. Even in "Game Mode" it's still doing this smoothing poo poo. I guess I need to call LG's customer service and figure out how to turn this "feature" off.

I know how much you paid for it. drat I have this TV at work so I might do some playing around with it next week and see if I can figure out how to turn it off. drat shame because it is the best looking picture I have ever seen on a flat panel.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

plasticbugs posted:

Yes, please let me know if you have any luck. Thanks. I played around with H and V sharpening, but that's as close as I got to making it only marginally better. There's a Super Resolution option, but toggling it didn't affect the smoothing issue at all.

No problem. That TV for being as nice as it is has some weird issues out of the box. I had to spend drat near 4 hours to get the colors to look anywhere near accurate. It amazed me how bad LG let that thing go out of the box.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

The line it's part of is "World of Nintendo" and the metroid is actually surprisingly big. I think my picture placed it in context with a Super Famicom cart. It's not quite large enough to latch onto a human head, but it is about the right size to drain the energy from your household pets unless they happen to have bombs.

I got one about 2 weeks ago when they showed up on Amazon for 20 bucks finally. I can attest to it being almost comically big. It is bigger than my hand and I have pretty big hands. If you have a Figma Samus it fits pretty well. I want to get one of the new little WoN Metroids to be like the Metroid 2 one.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zand posted:

does anyone have a sega _____ city cabinet? how much upkeep and maintenance has your cabinet required?

I had a Aero City for years and other than cleaning it up when I got it really well I never had to do much else with it. They are built really solidly and as long as you aren't doing anything stupid it should last forever.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Christ... The Sega Trios went on sale again this morning. I was F5ing since 7am. They went on sale, seemed like the site crashed and then he had none left. I swear the guy must have had 5 of them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Miles McCloud posted:

Speaking of Darksoft's CPS2 flash cart I just got mine in the mail today. I'm still waiting for the Hispanic X-Men vs Streetfighter A+B board set I ordered from Mexico to show up before I can do anything with it. You do have to murder a B board to use it and I'm a little ambivelent about doing that, but it isn't like dead boards can be easily found either now that they can be phoenixed.

You don't even need to phoenix boards anymore. You can reprogram a B board's encryption again using a Arduino and about 25 bucks worth of other parts.

http://arcadehacker.blogspot.cl/2016/09/capcom-cps2-security-programming-guide.html?m=1

I would imagine anything phoenixed would be worth less unless it is made original again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It seems to me that being a public person in gaming online only leads to trouble. As it is I have effectively almost completely have ended my social media presence I can't imagine how it is for someone better known and/or female. There are a lot of very nice people out there but the crazies ruin things for everyone else.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Since I'll have my SD2SNES sometime today finally, what are the best MSU-1 games I should get?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Charles Get-Out posted:

Road Blaster is the only MSU-1 game I've heard that I've enjoyed. Pretty much in every other MSU-1 game the music sounds like Too Much.

Rock n Roll Racing is pretty fantastic in MSU-1, as is the Zeldas. I am quite looking forward to someone getting Final Fantasy 6 working with it. I think the opera scene with actual opera singers would be fantastic.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Stone Age Gamer does. But you're paying a little extra.

http://stoneagegamer.com

I have bought all my carts from them. They are based out of Ohio so I have to wait 1-2 days before I receive my order. I am not thrilled about their labels as I am in the middle of having to butcher my SD2SNES cart shell to get the label they glued on off but they do good work.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Captain Rufus posted:

How is that over a stock Fc30? Like mine is 2 shoulder buttons and analog sticks short but it's drat fine. I mostly use it for my Android phone where a Psx and a SNES emulator both love it to bits. Colleen which is an Atari 8 bit computer emu is mostly ok with it but has odd button choices and one backs out of the program. :psyduck:

But it's smaller and fits in my pocket for on the go Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden. (They actually have an even TINIER one for that purpose. Sadly my model doesn't have the plastic dongle to turn it and your phones into a single unit. I think one exists for your model.)

It works well with Win 7 with a USB cable but I haven't done much putzing with iOS or Wii (or PS3-4 should those machines accept it.).

It's why I didn't mind spending 30-35 shipped for it. It has a lot of utility. I would be lying if I didn't kind of want the arcade stick though.

The Pros are better than the NES/FC30 in almost every way. It is smaller, lighter, feels great in the hand and has all the buttons you would need for PS1 on. The only complaints I would have is that the face buttons are a touch smaller than I'd like, the top L/R 1 and 2 aren't easily distinguishable sometimes and there is no way to disable the LED light if you want to not play games in a 90s rave. Those are all little nit picks and shouldn't stop anyone from picking up what is the best quality 3rd party controller out there today.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fastbilly1 posted:

Do you have the clip to hold your phone up with it? I dont have a standard phone and it is in a case, so I am always weary of clips because they rarely will fit my phone.

Mine didn't come with a clip I believe but I don't use mine with a phone so it isn't something that I was really looking for. I mainly use either of them with my Macbook Air and OpenEmu which is a drat near perfect setup.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Macintosh HD posted:

drat, looks like they're out of stock of the NES Everdrive. What do you mean about the label? It looks like the one they have is somehow different than the normal Everdrive label. Is that what you're referring to?

So evidently of you get the light pipes installed on your cart shell (and you should they look great and are functional as hell) they glue on their cart label and then drill the hole for the light pipe so it looks flawless. Problem is for myself is I have access to a printer that printed original screen printed OEM labels in the 80s and 90s. So I wanted to print a label I designed and put it on. I put on my order to not put it on but in the Black Friday rush he didn't get a chance to talk to me about it. He apologized and I am not THAT upset about it.

Getting the glue off of the label and cart shell seems to be harder than I expected. I might just order a replacement shell and craft my own. Again I am the 1% of the 1% so don't take my problem as anything again Stoneage Gamer since they do great work there and have been perfectly happy otherwise.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Monitor Burn posted:

Tossing the front cart shell in a ziplock bag with some Goo-Gone for an hour usually takes care of most labels.

Tried Goo-Gone on this. It is like they used wood glue or something. It's not like I don't have access to a billion SFC cart shells for next to nothing and I can do the light piping again it is just inconvenient.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ineffiable posted:

That seems really weird. It should just take that 1080p content and multiply it by four pixels. You've tried different picture modes even?

It is a issue with that TV. I talked to LG about it and evidently it is a known issue with how their scaler works. I guess it is doing a different way of upscaling content than other manufacturers which for video content actually looks and works a lot better but for games it is rear end. Supposedly there will be a firmware update "in the future" that will address this. I guess they got a lot of complaints after the NES mini came out. I imagine they weren't expecting it at all.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TeaJay posted:

The Everdrive N8 handles expansion audio poorly even if you have an AV Famicom, and it's downright terribad for FDS games. I have a patched version of Gimmick and I still don't get all the expansion audio because N8 doesn't support all the necessary mappers.

While I agree that FDS audio awful the rest of the supported expansion sound seems fine to me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, even if the FDS audio sounds like butt, it's still probably worth it to do it because it'd rather have crappy sound than have it not play entire channels I guess

If you want to do FDS you are much, much better off getting a FDS RAM cart cheap and a FDSstick.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

flyboi posted:

Just waste another $100 and buy the JP versions and swap the pcbs like I did :shepface:

The same although I didn't spend $100.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elliotw2 posted:

TBH you're more likely to find a good priced X'Eye or CDX than a Sega Trio.

No kidding. He advertised for weeks that he was going to have some for sale on Black Friday. I stayed up all morning refreshing his POS site only to have it crash when he put them on sale and every single one be sold out in about 5 minutes. I have to imagine he put maybe five up for sale.

Not having a Trio is my biggest holdup for getting a 32X since I don't want to deal with yet another giant PSU with my setup.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rirse posted:

What the best method for playing backups on a Saturn these days? I know there is that loader that got mentioned last year, but that still a pipe dream. I see mentions of both a flashed action replay and replacing the disc drive with a loader. But both seem to have cons, as the former kills the action replay off from it normal useful abilities, which probably means you need to buy a second one, plus having to buy CD-R again in the year 2017. Where the later takes apart the Saturn and requires soldering which I try to avoid at all cost.

The drive emulator is probably the best method but it is hard if not near impossible to get ahold of and requires some surgery to get installed. The flashed action replay seems like a poor option to me for multiple reasons; making a AR mostly useless for the other things, putting stress on the cart slot on the Saturn which is notoriously flakey already and still requiring CDs.

Getting a Saturn mod chip is honestly still the best real solution until when/if this MPEG card slot thing ever comes along. They are cheap, dirt simple to install (seriously one wire to solder and it isn't even hard in the least) and if you are going to be still using CD-Rs you might as well go with the most solid solution for it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rirse posted:

Surprise they still make Saturn mod chips. Yeah I tried looking up the disc replacement and noticed they are not available for ordering so that idea is out. And yeah the Action Replay one isn't so fun. I see listing on ebay for a Hong Kong seller who sells a pre-flash one, but it probably won't show up for two months.

Yeah they are still out there. The Saturn's popularity coupled with that most of the best stuff is either impossible to afford/find and/or import has kept the demand going for pretty much ever.

Someone actually developed a new, better one a year or so ago that will work with any model of Saturn. Previously you had to have a round button, Model 2 Saturn to use the easily available mod chip.

I have used CD-Rs almost exclusively in every Saturn I have had over the years and those drives are built like tanks so don't worry about them too much. Just make sure you buy semi decent quality discs and you'll be fine. Hell I have some original Sega beta discs that still play fine and some of those are over 20 years old.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Quiet Feet posted:

Do you have a link to the above? My Saturn is one of the oval button types and I'm curious.

Not sure about the rules linking places that sell it so I'd rather be safe than sorry, but search for Phantom Universal Mod-Chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

This is still hacked together with Radioshack parts and not exactly nice enough to sell to other people yet (a lot of the inside contacts are too close for comfort due to the weird design of the radioshack project box) but I'm looking for different parts to buy in bulk and will make a batch of 20 to see how demand is. It's made a lot of Amiga games way more enjoyable to play with a pad for me.

Maybe look into designing a 3D printed enclosure instead of the project box. Those Radio Shack project boxes are pretty lovely and hard to work with.

• Locked thread