Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

TeaJay posted:

This good

I so wish I had a good camera and could take good pics of the games I play on my PVM. Cellphone cam just doesn't do it justice.

I have a 20M2MDU and a DSLR.

Should have messed with the camera settings a little more but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

No splash guard and no Sony emblem.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I guess that's a little more intuitive but I never cared for that layout either.

Of course, the real reason it uses the SNES-style button layout is because it's cheaper that way (and lets them push next year's 2.0 version with different button placement).

I wonder how their GBA emulation will fare... their other clones are okay by clone standards but a lot of the stuff on the Generations plug-and-play is dire and I feel like the GBA is prone to being handled poorly.

If it's a hardware clone GBA SoC is pretty mature I think, the Revo K101 is really nice at least.

If it's any good I might buy it mainly to play GBC games.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Social Dissonance posted:

Any advice on a product for a RGB snes to BNC adapter? I see a bunch listed on eBay, and don't know if I'll need a sync stripper. I ordered a Sony PVM-20M2MDU because gently caress money.

Any particular reason you want a SNES to BNC cable instead of SCART to BNC? SCART to BNC + SNES to SCART is more expensive but way cheaper if you have a few consoles you want to use on the PVM.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

TeaJay posted:

I've been wrestling with myself this whole day whether or not to order a PEXHDCAP capture card and a sync strike. Been wanting to start live streaming for a while with my glorious RGB consoles but I'm just kinda wary, since I'm not the most tech savvy person and what if they just don't work.

(my setup will be Console -> scart switchbox -> scart 2-way splitter (1 end to PVM for me, 1 end to sync strike) -> sync strike -> VGA cable to capture card and audio from sync strike to my soundcard)

which I _think_ should work on paper.

That sounds like it'll work if the card supports 15khz VGA which not everything does. It's not "pure RGB" but you could use a component transcoder running to the component in on the card.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I have that one and it's alright, there's some combing when the screen scrolls quickly, and the lag is noticeable but not awful.

Another option is a SCART to component transcoder or HD Retrovision component cables which might be less laggy and upscale better but also might just not work depending on your TV.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I want to buy HD Retrovision, but it's sold out.

Is there any real benefit to HD Retrovision over a scart to component transcoder? The current versions don't seem to do anything a transcoder doesn't. Though if they can even out the SNES sync signal in the next version I can see the advantage in that.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I wrote it wrong. I'm getting the female scart to BNC adapter. Makes the most sense for when I get a switch and more consoles eventually.

This is the one I use, it works great and I've never had any sync issues on any of my RGB compatible consoles. I did build a sync stripper into my N64 though.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Monitor Burn posted:

If you want to spend under $200 to improve your SNES' video quality, have it work 100% of the time, and avoid having to mess with settings or deal with additional adapters/scalers, I'd recommend just picking up a Sony Trinitron CRT off Craigslist. You can get the SNES Retrovision cables for the component ports or just use S-video, you will have zero display lag, and you can even play light-gun games on it.

Yeah I spent a lot of time and effort trying to figure out the best way to make my HDTV work well for retro without spending $400 but when I ran into an 8" PVM and got it just to try it out I was immediately sold on CRTs and started looking for a bigger one. It's just so much easier and the results are awesome. My 20M2MDU and all the accessories I needed came in way cheaper than a framemeister too.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

Somehow I am allowed to return the chinese knockoff of the Everdrive 64 I got from Amazon a while back, so I am getting a legit one now. But should I go with the 2.5 or 3.0? The later I know has saving and Animal Crossing support, but anything more beyond that?

Mine is a 2.5 and it works great. I have forgotten to reset before I turn it off a couple times and lost a bit of progress in OoT once that way but I don't play my N64 often enough to think that extra $75 or so would be worth it.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

d0s posted:

Yeah, I can manage to do something in C or C++ and when I look at source code I have some idea of what's going on even if it's something I couldn't personally have written. Looking at assembly does absolutely nothing for me, and I've tried to learn it years ago. Are there any good, modern guides or is it pretty much a dark art you have to figure out by reading obtuse books from the 80's written for genuises

I'm trying to figure that out too. For what it's worth TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O gave me a much better understanding of exactly how assembly works in practice. The assembly languages they use are very simple and a bit abstracted but I have a much easier time reading assembly and figuring out what it does now.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

God is real, praise be.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not Chinese or a bootleg game but Codename STEAM on 3DS is a good example of a developer pitching a historical fantasy game to the west in a very tone-deaf manner only to learn that people really aren't as interested in their own history over here - maybe it's been supplanted by mainstream movie/tv, maybe people think their countries are too young to have interesting histories or are simply boring, maybe people are afraid to depict real events for fear of controversy from idiots, etc..

CN: Steam was also just a bad game.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Retro-bit is making one; I'm sure Hyperkin will follow suit, and the GB clones shall rise.

Hyperkin is apparently actually making the turbo express clone they put up as an april fools joke a couple years back and I'm praying it'll work with my everdrive.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

Already planned on that. Having trouble finding a used controller on ebay, as I see very few entries and they are 50 bucks which is no thank you.

Just buy a PC Engine. Accessories and everything are way cheaper. I had a TG16 as a kid and I still got a PC Engine instead because gently caress how expensive everything is for TG16.

Edit: Another reason is that if you get very deep into the library at all you're going to want to play CD games. The CD add-on for the TG16 is insanely expensive but an IFU+CD setup or just springing for a Duo off the bat for PCE isn't bad at all.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 18, 2017

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

azurite posted:

The PCE+IFU is an excellent conversation starter. Your friends will be all like, "What the gently caress is that?!"

The PC_FX is p good for that too.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I like 8-Bit guy enough but for someone who makes informational videos full time he doesn't do much research. Also lol at not including a single paddle-compatible game in a list of important games of the late-70s early 80s.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

On the whole PS1 games on PS2, I have component cables for my PS2 on a CRT. Would that give the same output as a PS1 modded for RGB? Or am I just better to use my S-Video cables?

Component looks a little different/"worse" than RGB but they're roughly equivalent and better than S-Video

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

The side-by-sides I'd like to see would be same device, same display, RGB vs RGB converted to component.

This is my PCE with an RGB mod by a well regarded modder in the PCE community and a high quality cable running on my PVM 20M2MDU in RGB as well as through an RGB to component transcoder.

Forgive the color difference. I bought the RGB to Component transcoder to use with my capture card but I never calibrated it because my capture card doesn't work with 240p. I dug it out just for you but I don't feel like calibrating it if I'm never going to use it again.

RGB:

RGB Full Res

Component:

Component Full Res

The two are really similar but the component looks a bit softer to me, it's especially noticeable in the text and more notable in person than in the pictures.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Star Man posted:

Anyone that tells you that they've played Four Swords is a liar.

If you're talking the GBA one I played through it with some friends in high school.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

If you like Brave Fencer Musashi you might like Threads of Fate which is a similar type of action RPG with two playable characters with their own plots. The execution isn't the best but the plot and characters are fun, at least for the girl character.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

So what should I do with the Dreamcast if it can't read discs?

Buy this from a weird Russian 3DO enthusiast.
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Wizgot posted:

Alright guys, I'm getting a flashcart for my Genesis but I don't understand the difference between the Everdrive v3 and the Mega Everdrive v3. Which one is better or are they pretty much the same?

I'm not aware of a Mega Everdive v3 but here's a table comparing the older models.

http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/comparison/genesis-everdrive-compare.html

The Mega Everdive v2 was renamed to the Mega Evedrive x7 when he added the x3 and x5 to the line. Here's the table comparing the modern versions:

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I have no problem with my x3, but there's been some discussion over the past few weeks that some models may not have the best electrical work and could damage the console. I doubt it's a problem unless you leave your console running 24/7, but then again I'm not electrical engineer.

I am and I'm not worried about it on everdrives. The system can get out of normal operating range but I haven't seen any evidence that the rated maximums are being exceeded with any regularity. His complaint was mostly about being outside of the normal range and even then it's not a high enough percentage of the time that I foresee real damage being done on any time scale worth worrying about. He's totally right that the design is kinda hand-wavey and it's really not hard to just do it the right way but it all got blown out of proportion.

My X5 has been great, and from what I remember reading the X5 and thus probably the X3 are fine. The X7 is an older design that doesn't do proper level translation.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 28, 2017

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Mark from EGM talked on a podcast about how he never liked Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and always thought it was mediocre. I happened to stumble upon the GBA release issue of EGM at a friend's shortly after and found his review where he gave in an 8.5 or 9 and said it was great.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

GutBomb posted:

:siren:Raspberry Pi arcade emulation time!:siren:

drat, this makes me want a shadow masked CRT.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's a 25-1023A

Pretty sure that's a CGA monitor, if so it won't take analog RGB. How many pins are there on the video cable?

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I totally get that buying from LRG is a pain and they really need to realize that high profile remakes of classics are going to sell way better than some mediocre indie game.

That said I've never had a problem getting anything I want from them, including Wonder Boy and Night Trap. It's seriously not hard to set a reminder for a few minutes before, log in, open the store page, and then just go through the ordering process at the same speed I would elsewhere. If you were a big tryhard youtube man or streamer why wouldn't you just do that or you-know just buy it digitally.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

anothergod posted:

I'm down to buy a Mayflash adapter, but what's the best route for buying Gamecube Controllers? They're.... a little hard to procure. Amazon's pricey ($35 for Wii U Smash controllers) and Ebay is all used aka questionable quality. Are the $35 controllers at Amazon my only choice? How reliable is like... Gamestop?

Re: Gamestop reviews "Ordered 10 controllers and 4 out of 10 arrived with either loose joysticks or cheap replacement joysticks."

Just pay the $35 and consider yourself lucky that you can get brand new first party GC controllers that are nicer than the old ones were. Melee is going to make GC controllers in good shape a rarity someday.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

fishmech posted:

It's not really about better quality, it's about different ink formulations having different reflectivity properties (often the kind of reflection properties you need for an old console won't correlate with longevity of the burned disc etc).

Old CD reading equipment was often manufactured to just work well with standard discs, where the pressed aluminum reflecting layer has a very high reflectivity. Since over time the actual laser gets weaker and the reading components can often get less sensitive, this will mean higher reflectivity is required to successfully read data, until the point where the laser and reading components effectively can't distinguish data at all.

With pressed normal discs, you can expect to have about 80-90% of the laser's light reflected at the wavelength CD readers used. CD-R ink formulations will usually have their disc designed to reflect about 40-70% of the light depending on how they're made. CD-RW discs, because of how you need to change the materials to allow for re-writing the disc, will only reflect 10-30% (and thus flat out won't work in many of the oldest systems). (this is because on a pressed disc you physically indent the "pits" to contrast against the plain "lands", causing a difference in light reflected, on CD-R and CD-RW the dye or alloy instead is changed in its opaqueness versus a thin reflecting layer to simulate the changes in light response)

The tolerances at manufacture time even on the oldest systems usually could work with reflectivity down to like 50% or so and still be able to recognize the difference between what would be pits and lands on a pressed disc, thus being able to read most CD-Rs. But over time the ability to distinguish the light can get worse and worse until you can use only the highest reflectivity media. Newer hardware tends to start with reading ability that's intentionally specced to work with even CD-RWs when brand new, so they're far more tolerant even with laser and reader degradation.

Another complicating factor is that legit PCE CD games are on 650MB discs and the drives in the TGCD and IFU in particular are really crappy at tracking on 700MB discs in my experience.

I did normal CD-Rs from a local store and had less than half the burns playable with music cutting out all the time. Then I bought a spindle of Taiyo Yuden discs on internet recommendation and my burns were almost all playable but the music still cut out or the game would play for a while and then freeze on loading the next level or w/e. Finally I bought a spindle of 650MB Taiyo Yuden discs on eBay and they've been perfect.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

flyboi posted:

now I'm looking at maybe buying a New Net City cab :gonk:

Is there a place doing a group buy right now or something?

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

Oh my god someone finally made the perfect "plug and play" game system.

hell yeah

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

Hey guys, guess what happened with the SNES Classic pre-orders in the US.

Go on, guess.

Unless I missed something and they went up more places I'll be amazed if this isn't a repeat of the Walmart thing. Nintendo clearly has set a time that preorders can start and I doubt that 1:30am on a Monday night is that. Not to mention that it was just one store again. They're almost definitely getting cancelled.

Stores are just getting ready for preorders to probably happen sometime this week and someone fat fingered something. I'm going to be ready at 1:30pm today though in case the am/pm was what they messed up.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

The worst is I think the stuff being "held" isn't M:tG-related. My brother himself has also made bank off selling M:tG cards on a personal level.

As someone who has spent 20yrs playing mostly non-MTG TCGs and spending a lot of time in stores like that they own a huge pile of garbage. Only a tiny subset of the rarest cards in those games is worth the labor it would take to find and ship them. Even if a card is worth anything finding the right buyer can be a huge headache. Some board games are worth money but again not many and finding the right buyer and ensuring the game is complete is awful

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

It also highlights one of the weird conundrums of things being rare and expensive, in that things have to be produced in pretty small quantities for something to become rare, and the reason things end up in small quantities is usually "because it was a bad product that no one cared for and should have stayed that way."

90% of the very good NES games are under $20 for this reason, often under $10. But pricing gets a bit complicated with video games because of changes in taste, continuing series, and the dependence on the sales of a specific set of hardware.

When the press started writing a lot about LoH: Trails in the Sky in early 2014 the loose price of the first Legend of Heroes game on TG16 more than octupled in 6 months.

Because JRPGs were less popular in 1994, it was a good but not great game with amazing modern sequels, and it was for the TG16 Super CD so you needed a Duo or $400 of TG16 peripherals to play it.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

evobatman posted:

Just pulled this baby out of the electronics recycling at work:

Ordered up a scart to BNC plugs adapter from Retrogamingcables.co.uk, can't wait to try it out!

I tested it with an old laptop and S-video, so I know it works.

Hell yeah

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Received my N64 today pretty psyched! It came with Goldeneye, Rogue Squadron and Pokemon Stadium plus transfer pack, I'm not a Pokemon guy so that will probably get sold.
Tested it all out on my 14" CRT just waiting on a composite lead and upscale so I can rig it to my HDTV.

Does anyone know what sort of discount the everdrive goes for on Black Friday??? I'm trying to decide if I wanna order one now or wait until then

I'm pretty sure it was 10% off last year.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

PS3 recomendations I haven't seen mentioned:

Dragon's Dogma
Trails of Cold Steel 1&2
Nier (Often disliked)
Eternal Sonata
Valkyria Chronicles
Under Night In Birth
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

falz posted:

Just don't do this the other way around since the NES adapter outputs AC.

How did they make the console accept either AC or DC anyhow?

Inside the NES it takes AC, rectifies it to DC, conditions it to a constant voltage, and then regulates it to the voltage the internals use. If you feed it DC it just passes through everything until it gets dropped to 5V or whatever at the last step of the PSU's process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So wait, what accessories do I need if I want to power my retro consoles with that adapter from Amazon? My NES has some cheapo supply and my Genesis has the original supply. Assume I add in a SNES, what would I need for a supply for all three?

If you have a Model 1 Genesis you should be able to run it and the NES off the same supply. The US SNES has a really weird power jack, with an adapter you could run it off a M1 Genesis power supply but I couldn't tell you where to find that.

I saw something once that was a set of 3 barrel jack to barrel jack adapters some guy found that could power just about anything but I can't seem to find it again.

Edit: Found an adapter, can't vouch for the store https://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-snes-power-supply-adapter-plug-cable.html

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 23, 2017

• Locked thread