Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Scary stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Psst, RD, edit in a link to this thread into the last post of the previous one.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

P-Mack posted:

Is the old thread getting goldmined, or will all those posts be lost forever, like tears in the archives?

The latter, most likely.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bewbies posted:

good god, the last one had 45000 posts?

good god

and you read them all

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Raenir Salazar posted:

Should we go about compiling (a) a list of notable posters and their contributions and (b) a FAQ of commonly asked questions and link them to a reposted answer to that question?

That'd break the point of:

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

If you have a question about military history, ask and someone will answer. They might even know what they're talking about!

Don't be shy! Don't worry if someone asked the same question 20 pages back! :justpost:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jamwad Hilder posted:

how is it that we have a new thread and I already have 4 pages to catch up on

military-industrial complex

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

spectralent posted:

I remember a lengthy article somewhere about how if the western allies had just invaded Germany during the funny war they'd have probably blown right through them.

Wouldn't the German counterpart to the Maginot line (I forgot the name) get in the way of "blowing right through them"?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tevery Best posted:

I have extracted whatever posts of mine from the old thread I think had value and put them in a Google Doc for easy access. I've even edited some of them.

As for continuing the series: I want to. But first, I started to write my MA thesis. This took up a lot of my free time (and also meant I was around the university a lot less often). A month or so ago I have finished it (available, in English, here, if you are curious ) and successfully defended it, which means I am no longer a student and thus cannot check out books from the University library, and there simply are no other good libraries anywhere near (aside from the National Library, which does not allow checkouts either). This means that the only way for me to continue working with a similar level of detail to what I did before would be to work directly within the Library, which is almost an hour's drive away, and I am gainfully employed now, which makes this quite impracticable.

But I want to finish what I started and I will certainly aim to do so, once I figure out a solution.

quote:

"However, videos can only be linked to – the moderation

has stated several times that the added weight would be impossible for the servers to carry – but any

such hyperlinks are immediately tagged with a little graphic to differentiate them from other kinds

of links."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tevery Best posted:

Whoa, does anyone actually use that? In all my years, I have seen no evidence of it even existing.

Yup. In D&D, videos are often posted with no explanation, the expectation being that the title of the video and the preview image will give other posters enough context to decide whether to watch them or not. Also, videos with :nws: and :nms: content are not only marked with those tags but carefully linked in a way that doesn't embed the video in the post. (or not in which case mods happen)

That having been said, I found out about the feature the same way you did - I said something that showed my ignorance about its existence, and someone pointed it out to me.

Also, seeing as you've used that thread as an example, you should join us on Starship Awful. We could always use more crew. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Panther is simultaneously overrated and underrated. It's Scroedinger's cat.

Yeah, well, history is a bitch.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I just went through those memes about the middle ages that were posted on the 2nd-to-last page of the old thread and lol. Though I'm not sure what's funnier, that each of those is wrong in some way or that I've seen people in the threads repeating the bad info.

How about you go ahead and tell us what's wrong? :v:

Waci posted:

You can have rules against asking questions about topics that have been discussed before, or you can have a conscious decision to not point people towards old effortposts in order to encourage future questions on the same topic. You really can't have both.

Yeah, pretty much.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ataxerxes posted:

Servia(spelled this way)
servians(sic)

It was a pretty standard non-Serbian way to spell Serbia, you can see it being used as late as WW1. No need to add (sic)

At least it's not "Ratzians" which was used by Germans and Hungarians to refer to Serbs (though that one was also used to describe the Šokci and the Bunjevci) and is now considered a slur. :v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 3, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, yes, the "perfectly spherical Roman legions in a vacuum" school. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Empress Theonora posted:

Every time he shows up I'm just like, yikes.

Even the funny stories manage to be deeply disturbing. :stare: If there's ever a game about the dude, it's going to have to be made by the crazy Russians who made Pathologic.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hey, the place is still standing and with a rather distinct lack of houses on fire. Quite peaceful, indeed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The answer to the question "should I post X" is always :justpost: unless your username is Keldoclock.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

is that...good?

It's significantly heavier than this.

It miiiiight be a tad overkill. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vegetable posted:

Was there ever a battle where people on horseback beat the poo poo out of people in tanks?

I don't know about beating the poo poo out of tanks, but horses were still used to improve infantry mobility in WW2, and cavalry had access to anti-tank rifles and stuff.

wdarkk posted:

It's not quite that bad since you can take the ablative armor off for transport. It's still going to be a huge pain if you have to cross anything while the enemy might be nearby.

I don't know much about tanks, so please tell me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't that basically be begging the enemy to use artillery/airstrikes against tanks in transit? Or is the assumption here that the enemy won't have access to either in areas where the tank is unarmored?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Xerxes17 posted:

We need a :tankchat: emoticon.

:gifttank:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

I'm apprenticed to the apprentice of a Lakota medicine man, and unless you're being facetious, that's dumb and wrong. Sweat lodges and the sun dance are religious ceremonies, and you don't get high off them as much as it makes you feel really tired and lovely. The express purpose is to suffer in order for the great spirits to take pity on us, and so help the community.

Tias, I love your Danish pagan posting, but, er, please read your post again and consider what you just did...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bewbies posted:

I'm just parroting what the maneuver center guys said, I really don't have any other info past that.

A shameful post. You're supposed to give us the exact blueprints of the tank, so that our finely tuned tactical minds can evaluate its most important traits like, for example, its ability to shoot down a Tie Fighter if placed in orbit.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm starting to suspect that Loophole 14 is actually the result of the pointlessness and stupidity of the Italian Front crystallizing into a rock with a hole in it. Jesus Christ. :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

My son was killed while laughing at some jest.
I would I knew What it was,
and it might serve me in a time when jests are few.

:smith:

I'll have to ask my grandmother about it again, but I remember her telling me about a relative of hers, might have been a great-uncle or an uncle (or maybe I'm misremembering it and it was not a relative but a neighbor or something), who was shot by a German sniper while celebrating reunion with the brother he hadn't seen since the Nazi invasion.

Death ain't picky about when it strikes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What's the measure of how tanky a tank is? :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

is it a stalin fan

These threads crush kulaks?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

and Maximilian Mugge has returned to Blighty, to be confronted with...a cliffhanger.

*googles the unit*

Oh. Ohhhhhh.

drat.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

OwlFancier posted:

battleships were stupid ... they did not function as expected because people were very shy about actually committing them to battle

I stopped playing World of Warships, but I don't think I'll ever stop being salty about cowardly battleship players (who inevitably end up in my team) in that game. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fangz posted:

Does anyone know how well the square bullets would have worked? I assume 'not very'?

I dunno, I imagine it'd be something like discout bin hollow-point ammo if it hits.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

and the full truth about Maximilian Mugge's new battalion is now well and truly out of the bag.

Six paragraphs of incoherent swearing is quite a reasonable reaction.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ia Ia Snackbar Fhtaghn!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

the very same
nice beard, books, reputation for brutality, and all

Also, notorious backstabber and zealot. During the war with the Ottomans, he betrayed allied Serbian and Wallachian forces under a flimsy excuse and had their commanders assassinated or captured and executed in a creative fashion (Starina Novak was roasted alive for over an hour, for example) followed by persecuting the non-Catholic Christian population in his former allies' lands.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Disinterested posted:

Spanish Blue division description as recorded in von Bock's diary, given by a subordinate:

The spirit of the 17th century lives.

War. War never changes.

Fangz posted:

So, um, the square bullet version of the Puckle gun might actually work and be reasonably accurate!

https://youtu.be/wFhqyvCTA1I

Huh. Cool.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tevery Best posted:

The Sejm refused to allow more money for the war.

So many Polish (and Lithuanian) troubles begin with "The Sejm refused..." :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fangz posted:

On that topic, I remember watching an old film about some kids scavenging a MG from a downed German bomber during the Battle of Britain. There's this one scene where they hold a cartridge in a vice and hit the primer with a screwdriver and a hammer. In the film there's a ping and the bullet ricochets all over the place. I assume that's unrealistic?

I dunno about the balistics involved, but my father witnessed a dude commit suicide-by-idiocy through fiddling with an AA gun round.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

you've got your biggest risk of an accidental discharge when you're ramming

heh

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gently caress Extra Credits.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

We need a "HEY GAL posts that dude" counter.

You're like, at 8 or so by now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And it's not like the Soviets were immune to their own winters.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Just wanted to say that while I didn't read every part of your naval mine posts (I mostly read the tidbits with interesting sounding titles), they're very well written, and really cool and informative stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

On the bright side, thanks to Gustavus Adolphus' efforts, there's a lot less Swedes in Sweden. :v: