Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This loving sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sure you guys aren't confusing the SS with regular old panzer divisions? They wore pink details.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You try staying sober while dragging a nation from the middle ages to the 21st century in less than 100 years. :finland:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tias, have you been to D&D again?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been reading a book about the history of taekwondo (A Killing Art by Alex Gillis) lately, and holy poo poo South Korea used to be miserable.

According to Gillis (who is a journalist, not a historian) in the seventies the gov used to hire martial artists to drive motorcycles into protesting crowds and beat people up with sticks.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 17, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Brits, the original scrubs going "omg fcking tryhard". :britain:

It looks to me it's mostly a celebration of natural talent and being happy with one's position on the great big scoreboard of life. Some people are just born to be great tennis players or whatever. Like almost the exact opposite of the American Dream, in a way.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

(2) there was a brief and funny period right before pikes stopped being used altogether (except in northeastern europe) that they got real small
So, uh, spears?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Matt Easton keeps saying it was sword thrusts, because the Brits were making the swords too bendy. :shrug:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:awesome:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, at least they probably didn't get assaulted.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Polyakov posted:

Today I want to talk to you all about the start of what I think is probably the most interesting war of the 20th century, the reason I say that is that it was the one that had the most disruption, it was two powers of similar size hammering at each other with varying levels of technical sophistication and the consequences of the various blockades, purges, backroom deals and dictatorial meddling are just utterly fascinating to me in how the war unfolded, with levels of competency varying wildly depending on a huge array of factors that constantly shifted throughout the war. This post will be about the political context and the two men who would command each side.
Could you break your text up a bit? Your sentences run super long (a whole paragraph long, in places), and it makes your effortposts kinda exhausting to read.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Polyakov posted:

I just patched the grammar, is that more readable?
Much better, thanks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

david_a posted:

Pictured - Finland in the late 1500s (Eero Järnefelt, 1893)
You joke, but that's actually a depiction of peasants during the famine in the 1890's. People still slashed and burned back then.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Live action Jin Roh remake looking good
Jin-Roh is actually a prequel to a bunch of live action movies by Mamoru Oshii.

The movies are loving weird, but sadly don't have any riot tercios.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a popular enough story that a war museum over here displays a birch log among the other AT weapons of the war.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just as an aside, it's weird to think of "only about a century of use" as the short-lived exception, considering how quickly military equipment has progressed in modern and even pre-modern times.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks to whoever linked to that article about Dishonored and British honour culture some, er, hundred pages ago. I'm a big nerd for everything about swords, so I bought the interviewed guy's book on dueling.

The most interesting part of the book ended up being the bibliography, but it was an entertaining read and only cost me 6€.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

During the Tokugawa Shogunate "practice killings" of random peasants when a samurai got a new sword were commonplace.
Y'know, I've heard that so many times but I've never seen anyone go into detail.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Everyone loves weird hats right?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Black Leaf posted:

could you translate the finnish runes?
Certainly.

Those are Korean tho, can't help you with them. We had a hyperwar about it and everything.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That sword looks so happy to get some fresh air soon. :3:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Imagine if you will a very slow steam catapult on the edge of a flight deck...

...but installed backwards.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And decades later Japan honors the war criminals who murdered them by turning their ship into an anime girl in a skimpy dress.
Well it's not like USS Enterprise is dressed any better.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

When did people stop dying of the shits in wars anyway?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

War. War never changes. :shrek:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Knyght Errant knows a poo poo ton about medieval armour and has a very nice voice.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

if you like old weird guns, Forgotten Weapons is cool
Come to think of it, if you like old popular guns (like black powder or cowboy guns), hickok45 is a lovely old gent. :3:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

They make airsoft versions of almost every type of gun you can imagine. There's even a fairly expensive musket.
I'm pretty sure you can get an actual flintlock musket for $470. :stare:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

zoux posted:

Unrelated: are there Waffen-SS reenactors?
Here, let me just link you to the re-enactment thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533531

Hoo boy. :godwin:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Why would you tacticalise an SKS or AKM? Aren't they obsolete from a functional perspective? (that is to say, everything they can do a modern gun can do better)
I'm pretty sure the AKM is still entirely relevant a gun. Besides, spacegun AKs are funny.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't there something about left-handed duelists being good because they're much more used to fighting right-handers than vice versa?
I dunno about duels, but fencing a lefty is a pain in the dick. :argh: And in that context, it really is true that they get a bit of an edge, since everybody spends most of their time fencing right-handers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

something about old guns, probs

(seriously though, it's precisely the ideas that interest me, because it's the ideas that we see show up again and again, in disparate times and places. how many of them are necessary for the movement you're looking at to be called fascism? for instance, as far as i can tell the american alt-right has no death cult. which is fascinating! i had thought that wanking yourself raw over a beautiful death was one of the central planks of the thing, but these guys don't seem to believe that!)
Looking from the outside in, I often feel like Americans in general are one step away from a weird death cult. For example, to me it's a profoundly weird, early modern kind of notion that packing a gun just in case you find your loved ones in mortal danger is the responsible thing to do. And then I go to TFR and people are excitedly posting about their cool new goon-made IWB holster. Or the whole our troops thing where every police who dies on the job is a hero and getting blown up in Afghanistan makes you a champion of freedom itself. And then there's the cringe crowd with the moron label t-shirts and cargo pants full of mall ninja crap.

I feel like there's this background radiation of violence around a lot of American stuff nowadays, and any death cult sort of thing would have to be really over the top to stand out from it all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

] when I say that I want to go armed in the future in order to protect myself and my partner, it means I want to preserve my life, I want to live as long as possible. But lots of Fascist thought fixates on the idea that the writer or reader will die--and when he does, that it will be heroic, beautiful, morbidly sexual, etc.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can disagree with the logic all you want, but it's nowhere near the same kind of focus on death itself that you see in glorification of self sacrifice to the state. It isn't dulce et decorum est, it's fear for one's safety.
Okay yeah, fair enough.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The National Guard in the US has bombed successful black communities from the air. Yeah, no, that position is bullshit.
Way to bring this thread back on topic. :stare:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If it's printed by a university press and costs $200, odds are somebody has peer-reviewed it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, I spotted McCullough's book 1776 at a second hand bookstore recently. Worth grabbing?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

dublish posted:

Sure. McCullough's very readable, and I'm unaware of any academic objections to his books.
Might have to swing past the store then. I've been playing AssCreed 3 and I sure need something to wash away the lameness. Thanks!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JcDent posted:

What are thooooose and how are they different from argument-arguments?
They're argument-arguments over methods used.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This may have been asked before, but how'd people think about their own deaths back in the 17th–18th centuries? I've been reading about duels and I'm having trouble visualizing a context where a random stranger going "Hey we need a sixth for a sword fight, want in?" is a reasonable question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

for almost all religions in western europe (i can't speak for Muslims), making what they called "a good death" was important. Ideally you'd know it was going to happen far enough in advance that you could call your friends and relatives together and say a few edifying things, maybe distribute your earthly goods, make up with your enemies if you have any, and make a little show out of it. Like everything in this world, death was public.

https://dralun.wordpress.com/2014/11/19/good-and-bad-deaths-in-the-seventeenth-century/
Oh yeah, that's the stuff. Thanks!

HEY GAIL posted:

And as far as the swordfighting is concerned, if you're a young man then as far as your peers are concerned you're supposed to be brave and valorous enough that the desire to avenge yourself or your friend, or even just take part in combat, outweighs the desire not to die. People who were not your peers would lament this and possibly write a pamphlet or two about it, but who gives a poo poo about them

edit: i have seen a dude in my sources joke on his deathbed with the man who killed him: the latter had come to him to be reconciled with him. "How are you doing?" he said. "Thinking very hard about getting better," the dying man said.
Your dudes remain the best. :allears: That sounds a bit like how some losing duelists would end up asking their families not to talk to the authorities, since they didn't want to get the poor sod charged with manslaughter.

On that note, Stephen Banks's A Polite Exchange of Bullets is a real good look at dueling in 1750–1860 Britain. Got footnotes and bar graphs and everything, as well as a large collection of exemplary duels from the period. Tangentially relevant to the thread, even, since it turns out soldiers were responsible for a large number of recorded duels.