Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Tank destroyers, what's up with that!!

Panther: great tank or greatest tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also loving laffo at the kit for the Agincourt archer including the loving sharpened log.

IIRC Roman Legionairies actually marched with 2 stakes as part of their loadout so they could set up their evening camps quickly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

There was a Lussu story that Trin called Parapet 17 or something, and I couldn't tell if he was making a Catch-22 joke.

The private who got chewed out by his sergeant for rescuing the general was some serious :catstare: Also the body armor, and the, and furthermore...

Also that pikeman analogy makes me think that Trin may have read too many HEY GAL posts

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 4, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I just wanted to thank you for this post, it's posts like this that make this thread so good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Which castle was it that got captured by people crawling up the toilet shaft or whatever it was called? I can't remember.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That's the one, thanks!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Thanks for this! I knew about the Independence War stuff, but none of the rest.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Polyakov posted:

Captain Craven

This is an...extremely unfortunate name for a military commander

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Endman posted:

I feel like the Spanish and the Italians are the ones that really understood war, not the Germans, French or British.

If we take Ernest Hemmingway's A Farewell to Arms as even a little close to accurate, then the Italian soldier was a genius of avoiding death and accumulating as much booze as possible to drink while in dereliction of duty. I feel like this is a much more sensible approach to combat than dying valiantly for one's country.

You should read Trin Tragula's ww1 blog and look for stuff referencing Emilio Lussu(you can find that stuff here), there's some serious :catstare: stuff at times.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

This is one of those things where the problem with contemporary sources is that the author almost always brings their own prejudices into the writing. I find Machiavelli particularly grating because the man has a reputation for being exceptionally cynical, dishonest, and manipulative that has lasted until our day.

As for the money, well, this could be either the case of our brains being warped by the nation-state ideas in our heads or it could just be that we're not the sort of people who would become mercenaries. HEY GAL was just mentioning earlier how oaths are a big deal for mercenaries in this time period, that's one of the things a colonel leverages to get his men to die for his wallet. On the other hand you should never leave mercenaries around on garrison duty because those fuckers will immediately turn coat and sell out the moment the enemy army shows up. The First Punic War has some great examples of mercenary antics and its followed by the Truceless war that goes to show just how badly pissed off war veterans and mercenaries will ruin your country if you screw them over. Unfortunately everything I know about that time period comes from old board games so I can't just post about it.

Oh god, the end of the first Punic War. With the exception of a couple of generals ( Xanthippus, Hamilcar, maybe a couple of others), the entire war was prosecuted incompetently by the Carthaginians from start to finish, but the end of war might have been the very worst.

So the First Punic War was 23 years long and at the end, the Carthaginians lost Sicily and had to pay a huge war indemnity. Hamilcar Barca, who at this point was the overall commander of the Carthaginian army in Sicily, made sure his army came back with him and iirc promised them that they'd get full pay. So they get back to North Africa and the Carthaginian Senate decides that, hey, we have this indemnity to Rome and we lost Sicily and we can't afford to pay the mercenaries. They send a general to tell them that, hey, we're not giving you all your money. The mercenaries are not happy about this. They kill the general and start to pillage towns in North Africa. The Carthaginians suddenly find money for more mercenaries and Hamilcar defeats the mercenary army. Also, during the war, Rome manufactured an excuse and seized Sardinia and Corsica. So by saving the money from paying mercenaries, they fought another 3 years of war in their home territory, had to hire new mercenaries, and lost more territory. Great job, guys!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Ask Us About Military History And Fashion Mk III

Not that I mind :allears:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

why is bottom right guy wearing a hat that is so much bigger than his head that he can't see while it's on

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Endman posted:

I'm not sure you really need to see when you're swinging a Halberd that massive.

I feel like that's the most important time to see

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

My Latin teacher always got a kick out of the word defenestrate so now I always get a kick out of seeing it used.

Famous defenestrations for 100 Alex?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deaths_by_defenestration

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

xthetenth posted:

What the gently caress are these guys without horses? What do we even do with them?

They'd likely figure it out, the organization is what would really give them a nosebleed.

They organized the logistics of a continent-spanning empire after starting with semi-nomadic tribes, I think they could pull it off.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

P-Mack posted:

Taiping Tianguo
Part 27

[...]

So yeah, next update we'll catch up on the Arrow War. No idea when that will be as another babby is imminent and the concept of spare time will soon be a cruel joke.

First of all, congratulations!

Thanks for talking about this, I knew nothing about the Taiping War. In the current phase I feel kind of bad for Li Xiucheng since I'm a sucker for competent leaders on the losing side.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That thing where Hannibal won them battles with them numidian horses, didn't happen.

I think you'll find that Hannibal ultimately lost that war. Checkmate, cavailures :smug:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't know about peasants vs not, but I do know some places were known for their slingers. The Balearic Islands were especially famous for them and Hannibal actually had a group of them in his army. Also iirc slings outranged bows for a very long time until archery technology advanced enough to obsolete them.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

lol if your armor fits, just lol

It makes sense to me that a random knight wouldn't have armor that fits perfectly, and even Baron whatever, Lord of who gives a gently caress, but wouldn't the Black Prince's armor fit?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Why wouldn't he? Mail is one of the most easily adjusted & repaired armours out there.

Because I know very little about the medieval period and I assumed it would be expensive based on the context of the discussion v:shobon:v

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Point of order: was Christina a king or a queen?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ancient Western armies at least generally had skirmishers, lightly armed and armored troops whose job in set piece battles was to harass the enemy army and break up their formations with projectiles, then fall back through the formations of their own heavily armored infantry and maybe flank or pursue a routing enemy. I think the Greeks used slingers in that role frequently.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Prussia versus "Germany" maybe?

It looks to me like it's supposed to represent WW1 and the artist couldn't figure out a way to represent the Germany was fighting on both the Eastern and Western Fronts other than making two of them.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Your probably thinking of the Mauser patent lawsuits I. The US. Phone posting so in not dipping a big write up but I'll throw down an explanation of the mess (it was actually 2 lawsuits and a bunch of appeals) later if anyone is interested.

I'm interested, at least.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

but private writings show high ranking dudes on all sides to all be pretty tortured and stressed, often suffering from similar recurring nightmares and mental health problems.

These were people who, with the stroke of a pen, could(and did) set into motion battles that lead to tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands dead on each side. I almost feel like anyone who didn't have doubts or nightmares with that kind of responsibility on their shoulders and blood on their hands was already a sociopath or something.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 8, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

More than you'd expect: "loving COME ON ROME I BEAT THE LAST THREE ARMIES YOU RAISED JUST loving GIVE UP ALREADY CHRIST"

Literally Hannibal post-Cannae.

Man, loving Rome. How they were able to absorb crushing defeat after crushing defeat and never sue for peace in so many wars is actually kind of mind-boggling.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

anakha posted:

Not sure if this has already been asked, but here goes:

What's the single most lopsided naval battle on record? I'm talking along the lines of XX ships sunk on one side vs 0 on the other.

Same question applies to land/air battles.

I feel like the most lopsided battle is probably one of the battles between settlers and natives where the settlers had cannons and rifles against stone-tipped arrowheads, something like the Battle of Blood River. As far as battles between more equally matched forces, I'm a fan of Cannae.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How dare you not spend hours every day writing and researching something for my entertainment for free

No but seriously, thanks for the posts. I really enjoyed them and learned a lot; good luck with whatever you're doing instead.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If u ain't Balearic u aint poo poo

:hfive: my man

(the Balearic islands are a tiny archipelago off of Spain that were legendary for their slingers in ancient times)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Same reason people view bombing a city as less bad than bayoneting civilians. Technological distance makes war seem cleaner to people viewing it. Same reason people don't seem to regard drone strikes in Pakistan as being an invasion.

I don't disagree with your other points, but to me invasion implies an attempt at occupation. I wouldn't consider the smaller scale Viking raids or small mounted nomadic raids historically as invasions either.

That doesn't make American drone strikes or bombing a city right, of course, but I think that's why they're not considered invasions.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

It is in fact referred to as "an invasion of airspace" though. I get your reading of the word, but it's imprecise and leads to bad logic. In a similar way people talk about Germany's invasion of north Africa, when German forces were invited into an Italian colonial possession on the coast and then invaded neighbouring African countries from that position. The flipside of that is that they must also have invaded Europe, despite starting in Europe. Maybe good enough for facebook discussions of history but here we usually manage better.

ETA: even more silly, the requirement for occupation means that the invasion of Normandy wasn't an invasion, because the forces landing did not intend to occupy Normandy and were framing it as a liberation, so despite having all the factors of an invasion except the specific goal of holding the territory indefinitely it doesn't count using that criteria.

In my head they don't need to be trying to hold the territory indefinitely, but they do need to attempt to - at least temporarily - intend to expel enemy forces from the location being invaded and be replaced by their own or allied forces. If we're being extremely pedantic I'd argue that the Germans didn't invade Europe and instead they invaded France, Poland, etc.

How would you define invasion?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Did you end up writing the effort post on the Crusades, or did the project get shelved?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I brought up a similar idea last thread(specifically for the Isonzo front), and people also pointed out the Salonika debacle to me.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

In MA we have a Worcester and a Leominster and only the English can pronounce them right

I know roughly how Worcester is supposed to be pronounced, but what about Leominster?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

England: drop the "o" + "in" = Lemster
Massachusetts: just drop the "o": Leminster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-5PboFvRCk

:psypop:

what is the linguistic history that lead to stuff like this?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think that by the end of the war, Germany had reduced its age of conscription as well.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Are there any examples of Russian / U.S military co-operation?

Just thinking about a potential super slamdown in Syria with Trump and Putin holding hands...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Can I request an effort post on The 602 Byzantine-Persian War, especially from Heraclius' campaign forard? I know that, ultimately, the main effect of the war was that it was one of several factors that weakened both empires enough for the soon-to-be Arab empire to crush the Sassanids and sweep the Byzantines out of the Fertile Crescent, but the war itself seems quite interesting.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 10, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

In fact, I was just going through three months worth of payrolls for the Saxon Hoffahne. This is a prestigious unit, the Elector's "court company." But even so, there's a surprisingly high level of literacy: averaging up three months' entries, 79.96% of officers and troopers signed for themselves, and only 19.3% of entries were either blank or signed by someone other than the subject of the entry.

What about the last 0.74% of entries?

HEY GAL posted:

One man made his mark for a total non-signing percentage of 19.85% (This may not indicate that 19.85% of the troopers were illiterate, since some of the non-signers may have been absent).

I'm feeling dumb, but I'm not sure what this means.

HEY GAL posted:

That's almost eighty percent of these guys who can not only read, they can write too. And not only print, but cursive.

Hell, that's better than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

So I'm on the final chapter of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I need more awesome ww2 material. What should I read next? This is the only historical work I've ever read so anything else is new to me.

My dad suggested Killing Patton and I'm more than a little skeptical of Bill Oreilly's veracity on the subject.... I want the good stuff!

Have not read it, but Shattered Sword tends to get a lot of praise in thread.