Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
what are good/bad stuff to play as, are there any trap options? The stuff in the OP stops at tower of the shuttered eye but now there's these other places? Everything's crafting, do you just get all the skills and do everything yourself or is that dumb/impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

killstealing posted:

Is this game accessible to rookies who didn't pledge? No subscription fee sounds p sweet if it's true but I couldn't find the game on steam

It's there, not sure why you couldn't find it, I just bought it.

I, too, am an idiot.

This game is adorable. You start the game with a book that contains a weekly schedule of community events that appears to be manually transcribed from the game's forums. That contains a link to an internet radio station and between songs they have this awful commercial for a player-created town. Some games have boasted of 1999 style mechanics but the amount of 1999 in this game is actually astonishing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk why there can't be a button that's just a hotkey for opening the local map if it's in my inventory. I'm learning a new alphabet for you, meet me halfway

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Man I burned through those perennial coast quests fast. It's kinda tough because I feel like the loop for leveling is SUPPOSED to be do quests to build up a buffer of XP and then burn it grinding against easier-to-kill mobs. But no content = no buffer = extended engagements against orange mobs with some really loving obnoxiously short leashes.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lum_ posted:

yeah, found that bug today and going to try to get it patched in a hotfix (implementing/fixing that sort of crap is actually what I do all day, well when not posting in political threads while waiting on Unity to load)

Martin in Soltown is brokus btw.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on a village lot location before I plop mine down in Brittany Fields in a couple days? Fields is okay except a couple of the village lots are next to a lake which has two gigantic rear end player owned lighthouses that shine its light everywhere, which looks stupid. Especially since its really more of a pond than a lake.

Does the Portalarium Store sell Ye Olde Lord British Wrecking Balles? I want to buy two.

You don't want people sailing on the pond to forget that they are surrounded entirely by land.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I spent $45 on this and it's.... good? But idk if I'd spent $200 more than that.

EDIT: But it's seriously actually good I think.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Capntastic posted:

I did some tutorial quest with a blood river and now I am in "Soltown" and don't really know what to do. All of the quest giving people tell me to go back to the blood river (I think?) but I dunno how.

Edit: When are the physical rewards coming out? Also do you only get a land parcel if you backed really high or something?

There's only a couple quests that lead back there, but they're pretty easy to do. Go out any of the big stone gates and you'll be at the overworld. Bridge is a little ways down on your right.

Also wtf is the deal with the "leather from scraps" recipe. Regular leather recipe takes 2 animal hides and a salt to get 2 leather. You can also spend 1 animal hide, a salt, and salvaged scraps to get.... one leather. Even without the scraps it'd be a bad deal.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like oh man finally a way to burn more salt per leather.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
HOW THE gently caress DO I GET OUT OF BRITTANY

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What's up with masterworking? I had the game tell me my materials had broken 4 or 5 times on masterwork failures and they, uh, hadn't. Is breaking always not working or only sometimes?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

DancingShade posted:

If masterworking fails it's supposed to destroy the item, so you might have found a bug.

However if you're trying to do that in Estgard the bug is already known and actually affects all crafting (always fails but never consumes materials). It's a scene specific issue though so for the interim just craft in any other town nearby that you prefer.

Naw it was andoris and eventually succeeded.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I do really want to know what happened to that seated skeleton in Sequanna Square.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mobs also don't reset when their target dies, so you can lead the baddies away from the silver, die, and then respawn next to the silver. Better than killing them because they don't come back.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

I get it. Masterworking uses silver and gold (for blacksmithing) right? Wouldn't that be a prohibitive grind if you have to use five ingots each time? Is there a decent guide for efficiently leveling up blacksmithing and its various sub-glyphs like masterworking?

And while I'm asking questions, at what point do I start seeing better swords? I've seen meteoric iron longsword +5s or similar for sale and they still do less damage than my Royal Founder starter poo poo.

gold is for enchanting, silver is for masterwork

+5 just means it's got 2 masterworks & also has +50 durability. Masterwork quality can vary dramatically because (A) when you successfully masterwork, it rolls up 3 random options to choose from & all 3 choices might be poo poo, and (B) there's 3 levels of each masterwork type and you roll better ones as you level up your trade. So it could just be +5 health/+5 focus, +40 durability and still be a +5 sword. But a +5 sword can also be +2.5% weapon damage, +4 strength, +20 durability. You need to hold Ctrl and check the masterworks.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If it only has the - and the green arrow that means it still hasn't hit the backstop yet so it can't lose any skills & there's no reason to unlearn it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

extra stout posted:

Hey I thought we established this is the do not acknowledge the amount of water in this ship thread! Probably true, but I've got plenty of free time for the next couple of weeks and if they ever actually inch their way towards an Ultima-ish game I think it could have some fun. All of the goons who post about how good the game is are always on ESO or WoW though, which doesn't make learning the game any easier.

Please save me your scraps of armor if you're really quitting and want to help a new since the reset character out with some junk tier stuff.

I'm around constantly, friend me as Cannibal Vox. No houses or whatever but vOv

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
p. furious 20 people couldn't make an MMO in 2 and a half years personally

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So the way this works is, what, a piece of gear can have up to 5 masterworks and up to 5 enchantments (but probably less of each, because the odds of not breaking equipment drops precipitously with each one), and also 1 gem?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

D-Pad posted:

What does the demon with 12k hp in the Soltown catacombs drop? He is the first boss type mob I have seen.

Could be wrong, but appears to be: 40-100 serpent scales, 10-30 obsidian chips, and a 10% chance of a non-gold crown of the obsidian.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Just did a 4 hour totally blind dungeon crawl with the lunar dragons starting in etceter crag mines and falling apart between midgaeard passage (or whatever it's called) and the spectral mines when a bunch of people who'd run out of arrows went into spectral mines instead of back toward kiln, couldn't get back because of a locked door, and got torn apart by angry wizards.

It was so fun, so exciting. I know a day's going to come when every inch is mapped & everyone knows what the gently caress the "spritual barrier" around that megaboss lich in etceter crag is, but for right now, everything seems crazy and cool. Finding another false wall with like a dozen gold nodes behind it is incredible. That hilarious 5 false walls in a row tunnel in etceter crag was cool, finding that first key & getting it into the lock felt so good like we were working toward finding more incredible stuff, an adventure we thought was about to wrap up just kept going. Gosh.

If they could bring all the zones up to the fun/quality level of some of those mine areas, this game could be something really special.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Ya'll have just had enough of lord british's poo poo: https://clips.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar/ProudWombatStrawBeary

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh god this is hard to watch. https://clips.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar/WrongSardineMrDestructoid

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://clips.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar/PerfectScorpionPMSTwin

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lum_ posted:

We're doing a 12 hour telethon. That's me in the corner trying to work while having people poke cameras at me.

*shoves cheap novelty fishing poll at u*

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If you want cool cosmetics and poo poo, spend $5 on the store today.

$10,000: /aeroplane emote
$25,000: ? and ! Hats
$35,000: Aeronaut Outfit
$50,000: Accordion musical instrument
$65,000: Mini Automaton Pet
$80,000: Baby Clockwork Dragon Pet
+ More if we go beyond!

Don't forget, random sales throughout the day. I'm personally waiting for us to get 20% off wings so I can get some clockwork wings for $8 & get all these fabulous prizes

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The things Lum does for this game: https://clips.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar/PleasantJellyfishTheThing

Not pictured: this continuing on for another 90 seconds while other people on camera get increasingly uncomfortable.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I got a viking rowboat decoration for my house in viking city. Doesn't make much sense since I'm nowhere near the waterfront but ¯\_(シ)_/¯

Also, you didn't do last telethon? You get these clockwork wings (different but still cool)

I go tthis game like last week.

EDIT: https://clips.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar/WonderfulWaspCorgiDerp

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This fuckin guy https://clips.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar/DrabMinkGrammarKing

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This round of wheel spins, we got the rights to buy lord british's blood at 30% off and this: https://clips.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar/TalentedMinkKippa

EDIT: I can confidently say that this is the best day of my entire life.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 23, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wait did these larpers add their own chyrons to their webcam output?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So today they crossed the 10 million dollar mark, so everyone gets a cape of some sort. They also raised $200k during the telethon and ran out of ideas for stretch goals.

If you dropped at least 5 bux today, you got:

- Airplane emote
- Wow quest symbol top hats
- Aeronaut Outfit
- Mini automaton pet
- An in-game camera emote that takes black and white photos
- Clockwork Armor with radio in helmet (?)
- Flaming Bagpipes with leather & metal kilt
- An umbrella which changes the weather
- They couldn't think of anything else when we hit $200k but we'll get something else but they have to think of it first

As for me, I spent $11 and got a pair of wings and a flute in addition to all of the above so I'm a pretty happy camper.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I mean they're rolling out 3 or 4 this month that we know about. Spite, Estgard, Port Graff, and I've heard that Elad's Lighthouse is getting a little bit of love too, some random player owned town.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jimlit posted:

It's pretty viable, silver and cut gems specifically. There are public vendors that work like auction houses, I'd say those are way better than a house vendor.

Auction houses want 10% of the sale price up front, house vendors you can list things for free indefinitely.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Is there benefit to focusing on a few skills rather than just doing everything?

I guess that applies to adventure and crafting, but I'm thinking of craft specifically.

This mainly concentrates on the right way to do adventuring:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zl6SMCoiFY79STI3fyPuK7CdXioYUjjpmBPjXtOCX-Y/edit?usp=sharing

You want to concentrate on a few things with crafting because gently caress masterworks. Leveling masterworks costs an obscene amount of silver to be remotely useful. Getting entry-level crafting so you can process your own materials & produce cross-competency basics like metal bindings and bow strings only costs crafting XP so if you're planning on stripping all resources in sight it's not a bad idea.

But fuuuuuuck masterworking. You will need to specialize for that, specifically. If you get to the point where you're useful as a masterwork crafter and for some reason want to level a whole nother masterworking skill then I guess you've given up on life and can do anything you want.

D-Pad posted:

Does anybody have a link to a weapon/armor guide? I can see all the different stuff via recipes on the wiki, but it gets really confusing. It seems like weapons don't really get that much more powerful as they get better? Also, how the hell do you make a +1 etc. weapon? Is that what masterworking is? What exactly does the + give you? Is it random?

Weapons and armor either get made or not, the only things that your basic crafting skill determines are: (A) odds of success and (B) odds of exceptional. Success for all crafting things caps out at 95% and success for exceptional might(???) cap out at 22%? It caps out in the mid to low 20's.

When you're first starting out, the big deal cool guy thing is that different materials have different bonuses that they offer to your gear. You can easily put together a fortified supple/hardened leather set that gives you like 14% crit and 5% weapon damage, IF you can get the materials, which is very hard to do.

When you make a piece of gear there's a chance of it being "exceptional", that's where the +1 comes from. All that gives you is +50 durability which is trash until you start masterworking/enchanting. To masterwork, you combine a piece of gear in the crafting grid with 5 silver ingots. There's a chance (high at first, then lower as you level) that it will be destroyed when you do this. If it's not destroyed, you get to choose one of 3 "masterworks" to apply to the gear. These are all garbage at first, then they become less garbage as you skill up. Each masterwork adds a +2 to the weapon, reduces the weapon's max durability (better masterworks reduce durability by more, which is why +1 is actually really good), and increases the chance that the next masterwork will destroy the gear.

For crafting (i.e. not alchemy) skills, you've got one main masterwork ability which, when leveled, increases the chance to succeed on masterworks, and then you've got 2-4 sub-abilities that unlock when your masterwork ability hits level 40. These sub-abilities are hyper-specialized. You have to level these up to get access to masterwork options that aren't trash. Alchemy has enchanting instead of masterworking. It takes gold and mandrake instead of silver, can be used on any gear, and immediately has access to all its top level options without having to level a specific skill. It stacks with masterworks without disrupting masterwork success chance so we're supposed to work together, but gently caress alchemists, they didn't earn this. Also they can socket a gem into your gear and there are special gem-specific enchants that have a chance to pop on gemmed gear.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 24, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yo what are the benefits of different crafting tables?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think for town+ you're expected to go in with some people.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Akion posted:

Go kill skeletons in a 1-skull area.

The catacombs in SolTown are a good spot to start.

Combo Question - Do combos skill up like other things? Or is their effectiveness determined by the skills being combined?

Also, is it worth continuing to skill up my initial weapon skills once I've unlocked the more advanced ones?

At what point can I run Tower of the Shuttered Eye?

Combos average the level of the two skills

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
LOL "I live here, ya bastard!"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Very much so.. Any idea how to get these papers? I've been loving about it resolute for a bit but can't figure it out. None of the NPCs respond to my demand for papers.

Apparently you have to start in highwhatever, the tutorial zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

You nerfed the selling price of halberds from Serpent's Spine Foothills, didn't you Lum? Didn't you!?

That's atos' department.