Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jabro posted:

If I get one of the tax free lots does it ever decay? Like it I don't log in for a few months or a year will I lose my lot?

If you don't log in for a period of months then depending on your pledge tier then your tax free deed & house will end up sitting in your bank and your lot left vacant.

Currently it's just 4 months for everyone but it's supposed to be 5 for citizens, 6 for edelmann, 7 for knights, etc. As you go up each tier it's one additional month.

So they DO kind of decay (though you don't actually lose anything, just your spot) but very slowly. Logging in even once resets the clock.

Also even if you vanish for a year or more you'll still be able to find a vacant lot somewhere - the number of deeds in game will never exceed the number of lots available to claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea what an IDOC is sorry.

But yeah everyone on your lot is dumped into your bank if you unclaim a lot or it expires.

Googled it, ok I get you now. Yeah nothing like that in here. It would just go "poof!" and vanish.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 17, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lobus posted:

What are people liking for mele?

sword and board? pole arms?

Does a two handed sword count as a blade weapon?

And how do you unlearn skills?

Honestly all the melee skill trees are good. I prefer polearms though.

Yes.

You click the little green arrow next to it until it becomes the option you want. Train normally, maintain, rapidly decay etc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Yeah, it can hit up to five I believe.

Four for my halberd but I might have missed another one that does five.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

iminers posted:

Listen, i REALLY wanted this game to go somewhere.
I have been playing Garriots Ultima and Ultima Online games for a long time.

No one was happier to hear a sort of UO2 was in the making.
And no one was more pissed off when he dropped 45$ on a forever alpha version of the game, that was two yrs into the making and is an absolute trainwreck in terms of combat and optimazation.

Im still crossing my fingers for this game, but its got about 2-3 more yrs in development.
In all truth by the time they get their poo poo together most of the population will be playing another MMO.

You were expecting it to be complete after only 2 years? :v:

Come back in another 2 or 3.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

And will that be just episode one? Does Garriott really plan on making five episodes?

I think episode 1 is due for completion next year. The roadmap never bloated with "that's nice, hey let's just to do it" so everything additional that comes along gets pushed to after that, so episode 2 and whatever.

If you're keen to know more on the topic I strongly recommend slowly working your way through the various livestreams for the release postmortems. Tons of juicy questions & answers in there. It'll take ages to get through them all though.
Oh and the previous telethons. You'll need a serious amount of time free to go through it all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I have too much ADD to watch and listen to those things, I just want to know if they are truly committed to fleshing out every aspect of this game, and not just sitting in early access limbo forever.

They seem to be but feel free to just find something else to distract yourself with and check back in a year or two.
:shrug:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I still feel like playing, who knows how long it'll last. I just wasted something like 40k crafting experience on salvaging a ton of poo poo, so I decided to do some more adventuring. I'm going to the Necropolis to continue the Path of Love quest line. I'm in the underground garden fighting earth elementals, does it get tougher than this, or can I possibly complete it? Or has the quest line even been made past this point?

40k crafting XP can come and go pretty fast, don't worry about it.

Sounds like you'll probably be fine in there. There is only really one bastard room with multiple red spiders that respawn just across a rope suspension bridge - you'll know it when you find it. I found it best to kill the ones near the start and leg it past the rest, remember to break the webs manually before you run into them and get CC'd & killed by 7 spiders at once.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

How exactly do you get crafting exp anyway? Just harvesting? I had 95k earlier today and figured I was set for a long time.

At least I'm making progress on the adventuring front. I'm able to take on some orange cons, and some things are turning yellow like hardened skeletons. I'm a sword and shield plate using guy. I know you're a mage, but how would you set up your hotbar in my position? I have 1-4 set to pull glyphs from my deck, which are sword skills, Fist of Stone, and the first shield skill. My locked skills are heal, two glyphs that reduce damage, and two potions. I could do away with the potions, probably, but I don't know what to replace them with.

thanks for all the advice!

You get crafting XP by doing any crafting related activity, including gathering and producing. Of course the crafting skills also consume XP too so at some point you're going to want to lock some of them down into maintenance mode to avoid wasting XP levelling fairly useless stuff like milling beyond your practical needs.

I change my hotbar a lot depending on my current build, but basically I keep the left side for random draw and the right side for fixed glyphs. Try and keep your glyphs to the minimum required to avoid slugs as it helps you draw the right powers when you need them.
Don't be me in my early days with a hotbar filled with flame arrows and an enemy already on fire.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

What are gems good for, anyway? Enchanting? Do you enchant weapons, armor, or jewelry?

Yes, all of the above. The recipes you need are in alchemy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hey, if you guys want the guild, we're gonna need to do a fundraiser. I have 10,000. If you have a couple thousand to toss my way, please do. I'm going to do some Tower of the Shuttered Eye runs to make a little more today and tomorrow.

I had 36k so I self funded and made "Paladis Paladins" as a guild. No way I was going to make a typical goon sounding guild.

You're welcome to make another guild of course. Anyone with 25k to burn can do it and you don't need a party or anything.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Love Versantis Mine. Another 39 silver ore pulled out.

Time to masterwork :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There are ~4-5 silver veins in a side tunnel before you reach the bottom chamber and that has the majority. Some of them will respawn before you leave because it'll take a while to work through all the elementals.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I feel like this is really stupid to ask, but how do you get to Owl's Head now? The boat from Ardoris to Kingsport is gone since the last release I played. Is it the mopngate in Solace Bridge or what?

Boat just outside Brittany dumps you outside Kingsport on the overworld.

There's another boat inside Brittany Central that takes you to Kingsport docks directly.

Incidentally, if you ever find yourself wondering how hardcore the PVP players actually are in SotA there is one interesting statistic. 0.0% of the lots are claimed in either PVP flagged PRT (Brave Coast & Coral Cove).
I'm sure you can see the implication.

Just something to keep in mind if you ever come across a self professed PVP enthusiast in game.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 21, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to the future viking city.

I'm giving everyone officer rank since why not but also so everyone can invite anyone. /G is handy for talking across modes and zones.

Don't care if you invite non goons should you (gasp) have RL friends or whatever. Just do what you like.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 22, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wish I could keep watching but I have to go and do work things.

Entertaining as always though. That accordion instrument has some potential - I hope it's obnoxiously loud.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Flaming bagpipes achieved. :staredog:

Need to download some bagpipe ABC music when this gets into game.

Jimlit posted:

I'd have dropped $5 if it was like, "will finish unfinished scenes"

That's been in the highly visible roadmap for a while now and you can see the ongoing progress in the Dev+ forums :eng101:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Same. I got one of the middle ones on the row of 4 next to the town center. We're probably neighbors.

Hopefully when they come in and redesign I don't end up somewhere less convenient.

Lots shouldn't be moving at all and if they do it will be only a few pixels to accommodate scene deco updates, so you'll be safe.
(re: livestream comments on the topic)

If you want a vague idea of what to expect in a few days take a peek at Valhold, North from Estgard. It's not a completed scene either but it's still a good foundation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Xenos is the best case study for that - the main hub didn't move at all but all the buildings were replaced. Might be worth checking it out if you like.

Bear in mind it was also once a clone of the same map Estgard is based off, so before getting updated they looked identical apart from map rotation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of like the smack talking elves that boast about how superior they are, right before you put them into the dirt.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I can kill two of the elves in Grayforest at once now. Three is too much, though. Is selling their weapons to Pip currently the best way to make money? I'm getting nice increases in Encumbrance, so I can keep carrying more and more each time.

My focus is generally on harvesting crafting materials and XP more than a time/loot $value equation but the swords and bows elves drops are an excellent weight to value ratio.

If you just want money fast and have good carrying capacity kill bandits with halberds & warhammers in Serpent's Spine Foothills. They weigh about 7 "units" each though so make your looting choices accordingly. Good place to get maple wood too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just did a full run around Estgard. Quite a few new residents.

Also I seem to be the only person with a wooden outhouse in the entire city. When we can lock individual doors in some future release that's the only door I'm going to lock.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When the appropriate permission systems are in game for "renting" rooms (it won't be too soon, lots of other things higher priority on the roadmap) I'm happy to look into giving people individual rooms in my multi story basement with personal storage containers and so on.
Free of charge obviously because the amusing idea of people living out my basement is payment enough. I'm sure others will likely be happy to do the same with their own basements / spare rooms.

No interest in flagging my lot as a guild house though.
Because of how guildhall access permissions work that would involve me needing to start caring who has what guild rank, define access rights by rank/individual, etc. Down to each deco item on my lot. Really don't care for the hassle.

I'd rather wait for a system which is basically "Hey you, this bit is yours to do with what you want".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Be prepared to pay the upkeep (lmao gently caress that).

Row: 500 gold per day
Village: 1000 gold per day
Town: 2000 gold per day
City: 3500 gold per day

The upkeep on a row lot is something I would be prepared to pay. Nothing larger though.
Especially the taxable city deed lol.

Also lottery tickets are something like 5k each for POT ones and 10k for 'anywhere' deeds.
I'm not buying any tickets because I already have what I want.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

I think for town+ you're expected to go in with some people.

Quite likely.

I just had a polite argument with a player who believes the tax rate is far too high. They've been playing since R32 launched weeks ago and have amassed a "fortune" totalling 250 gold.

How... :psyduck:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I found one unlocked the other day but can't remember where sorry. Do run throughs in various PaxLair style NPC towns that haven't been uncloned yet, that's all I can suggest to find it again because that's what I was doing at the time.

In R31 I swapped out my house in Jaanaford a few times and the basement contents were saved, though I had to place the hatch again. If you move lots entirely then it gets dumped into your bank again.
If I recall correctly. Worst case the Estgard bank is really close.

Certainly if I swap out my house (which I might do on a whim sometime) I'll dump all my chests and things in the basement first.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 25, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lum_ posted:

I just got a bug report that one of the gates may be bugged, you could have gotten that one. I'll look into it regardless, you're not the only one complaining of being gate-blocked

Edit: you can thank my boss for saying "you locked the gate where people live? wtf". Next live patch (prolly tonight) it'll be just open without any requirements again and will remain so until the entire quest line is complete and everyone has plenty of warning.

I'd say all of the gates are bugged. The guards recognize Brigid's amulet of testimony and talk badly about her but that's the extent of their reactions.
(mentioned it in the bug forums for tracking)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unctuous Cretin posted:

The gate that you get to if you follow the road straight in did not open. I went around to the other gates and they opened after I showed Knight Tracy's papers to the respective guards.

Where did you find her corpse?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unctuous Cretin posted:

It was one of the one's in the city. Try the top of the stairs leading to the central keep.

Much appreciated! I blew 7k XP wandering around aimlessly before I had to run off to work this morning.

Lum_ posted:

Actually it's a cooperative endeavor but still not mine, I just worry about the plot crap that few here are concerned with unless they need to powerlevel through quests quickly.

In the long term this is super important. I'm glad you keep an eye on it.
(I'm not using the thumbs up emote because we only use that ironically here)

Also gently caress those crybaby tamers who are upset their "I win" button has some semblance of balance now. Holy poo poo did they actually expect their red spiders of doom were balanced and would remain that way forever :psyduck:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

Actually hey on the topic of ore, is this dramatization correct?

EXTERIOR, DAY. DESIGNER lounges in the sun.

PLAYER approaches.

PLAYER: You have changed the ore drop rates! They are out of control!
DESIGNER: Shush, these rates are intended! I have set additional mobs to guard the nodes. Begone!

PLAYER exits.

LORD BRITISH enters.

LORD BRITISH: Lazy designer! These drop rates are indeed hosed up! Our economy shall crater! Fix it at once!
DESIGNER: Ah, but it grows late. I shall fix it on the morrow.
LORD BRITISH: Very well. We shall deactivate all respawns in the interim.

FIN.

I read that aloud to myself with actual voices. Was this intended?
Also let me change a line: "You hosed the loving drop rates of poo poo you fuckers! Game is dead unless you do [thing] I demand! Moooooommmm more chocolate milk!"
Because I read that into a lot of the overly dramatic feedback on the official forums.

Correct? Ehhh. Who knows. I see LB more as the "children should be flagged killable" guy.
We're going to see "non virtuous XxXKoolXxXtRme" costumes in the add on store at some point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

On this topic, because the designer who was originally working on Estgard left before finishing the job and it hasn't been fixed up yet it looks particularly half-assed at the moment. Really bad in some places where the assets are badly placed, leftovers from the previous version or just plain barren.
Like that wooden fence outside the Western wall which looks wonky as poo poo.

When it gets pass #2 it might look a lot better but we can only go off what we currently see.

If you good folks feel I made a bad call and that Estgard was a bad land investment then we need to consider other towns ASAP before the first deed lottery finishes.

This would mean either going to a very unpopular (probably for a reason) NPC town or relocating to a PRT. Or we could just scatter to the winds or something but that's less fun.

Thoughts?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lum_ posted:

The designer who did the Port Graff revision is working on Estgard this month, we know it's incomplete.

Oooh.

He works magic. Promising.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lobus posted:

They need to lower the rent, make it hourly like SWG did. The rent in this game looks like they just asked RNGessus what it should be.

It's literally the first pass. I imagine it'll change several times as the economy gets tuned.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can set up lots as guild halls right now including letting people place and remove deco items.
I'm just not keen to do that personally, that's all.

Once we get permissions just to let [person] and only [person] to use [container] I'll happily turn my place into a giant bank for anyone who wants extra storage. Hell I'll even make the storage containers for you so you can literally treat it like a bank expansion.
No time frame on this at the moment though. Lots of other things higher priority on the roadmap I'm sure.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Man, I placed four peppers on a shelf in my basement. When I left the basement and came back some time later, they weren't there anymore. I don't have my peppers. They aren't in my bank or any container. I lost my peppers.

:cry:

I bet if you swap out or temporarily remove your basement they'll magically reappear in your bank.

It's a rare placement bug that I've only heard about happening on above ground lots. Experienced it myself in R31 but fortunately the deco item reappeared after reloading the instance.
It wasn't anywhere near where I was trying to place and was clipping through some other items.

I imagine your peppers are on the "ground" somewhere on the wrong side of a basement wall. Alternatively closely inspect the ground near the basement spawn entrance.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If by any chance I happen to have added someone in here as a friend and not given you a guild invite please feel free to yell at me (and tell me your in game name) because I just click "yes" when I get a friend request.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Read this. It's a more in-depth explanation of what PMB is saying.

Understanding that will propel to a much more enjoyable and playable combat game.

An excellent guide and I probably should have thought to link it as well ages ago - thanks for doing it. I guess I just took my understanding of the deck system for granted since I was there at the inception.
My bad.

That being said my hotbar is more 4/6. I have 6 fixed powers and everything else goes through the unassigned 4 like a slot machine.
Never knowing quite what button to press makes frantic life and death combat fun and interesting to me but YMMV of course :v:

Also my setup allows things like chaining 4 stone fists when the right cards draw. The personal customization options of your combat experience are excellent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Octave posted:

The biggest issue with the game by far is player housing. It's what causes the brunt of the load time, and even after that load screen, lots of hitching presumably to load all the awful knick knack players put in their locked houses. The cities are confusing because it's mostly useless player housing mixed in with actual useful NPCs. It just makes the cities large for no reason.

The houses don't even fit - they have those ugly airship things and lighthouses all right next to each other. Does a town really need 10 lighthouses that neighbor each other? I guess so. It looks and feels like second life.

Stop going to Brittany :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Akion posted:

Yeah, I think the owner can evict people.

POT owners can evict people from lots and even bar them from the scene entirely. Of course the first person who gets known for doing that unfairly might trigger a mass exodus of residents looking for calmer waters.

Now that they're no longer available (at least for episode 1) I look back and regret not fronting up the cash to buy a hamlet myself. But hey, we all got in early enough for NPC lots so I guess we're still good.
Plus it's not like the game is short of PRT housing options either. It's more the customization aspect that appeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well on the upside everyone who didn't pledge or buy a bundle with a deed is getting free tickets.

I still maintain my stance that I have no intention to enter the lottery personally. I've got my pledge deed and that's all I need. Would rather some other player had a chance to claim a lot somewhere since it would mean more to them than to me.