Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Richard Garriot Game and a guy named Alexander DeLarge. Hmmm. If you are the same guy from the old UO stratics forums I'm going to be highly entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Strontosaurus posted:

If you could send a single message to Richard Garriott, what would it be? I've got a direct channel to the boy but we need to be civil.

Buy the rights to ultima and go back to making single player games.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kaempfer0080 posted:

I can't decide if Garriot is extremely successful or a hack. A lot of times I listen to him talk and think "Yeah, this guy is smart." Then I remember he has a rat tail and Persian Club Owner level of jewellery. He's been hugely successful at scamming people through crowdfunding and while he hasn't reached star citizen levels of money, not even Chris Roberts thought to crowdfund crowdfunding. I'm not sure if I'm depressed or impressed.

He's got the same problem Chris Roberts has. They haven't produced poo poo in well over a decade and development has moved on from the days where 5 guys could bang out a game in a year.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Granted this is from 2013 but lmao in retrospect. All of these people, Richard Garriot included, are horrible hacks.

Pretty sure modern day successful game designers just rolled their eyes and said "Whatever granddad."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ffycchi posted:

I don't agree with Chris Roberts, even though i have money in SC, CR's history is a clusterfuck. Will Wright may have had some lovely things, but he did basically create the sim universe...Have to give him that. Peter Molyneux has fable under his belt, so that's definitely a plus for him on the Original Fable. Garriot hasnt done poo poo well since the early days. I have a handwritten note from him inside my copy of Ultima VI, Only reason I haven't burned it is because it will probably be worth some money some day.

I really doubt that will ever be worth money.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Entoloma posted:

I think they lost sight of making an actual game a long time ago. Now it's more like some weird fantasy version of second life. And they're partnering up with a company owned by a guy who was apparently crowned "President of Virtual Reality" (looool) and is supposedly internet famous for a virtual nightclub or something. When I think of it that way, it makes sense that they would focus on selling status items and eyeburning outfits that don't even fit into the original world they (at one time) were creating. Making people believe they will have some sort of stake in the company and selling them Neverlol coins is just another way to monetize that crowd.

Yeah, a real Ultima successor.

I'm starting to think Alexander De'Large is a lovely games canary. If he seems really excited about the project in whatever megathread gets genned up you stay for the comedy, not the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
See also the words "Spiritual successor to UO"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I hope this means I'll get my signed land deed by LB now. Having some physical stuff would lessen the blow a bit.

Send me some money, I'll draw a cardboard map for you. It'll have the same value as a Richard Garriot signature on a piece of game paraphernalia that failed. Basically none.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unctuous Cretin posted:

While I don't necessarily think your assessment here is wrong, I think a lot of these folks are just longing for the old days of MMOs. Ultima Online threw you into a wide world with very little instruction, forcing you to interact with it and find your own way to thrive. It was a sandbox, and at the beginning anyway, Shroud was sold as somewhat of a sandbox itself. That fell to the wayside pretty early on.

And for that, when most people start talking about "exclamation points over heads" and MMOs being "too casual" they're almost certainly talking about WoW and how the MMO market was irreparably changed by it. Pretty much every MMO up to that point had been a grinding treadmill with a smattering of quests. Comparatively, WoW was a lot of hand holding and a questline railroad. That never sat well with a lot of the MMO hardcores of the time, and then MMOs went super mainstream, and those people became the minority.

So there's always going to be that subset of players who want to go back to the old wild west style MMOs like UO. Unfortunately, I think that kind of game only existed in the pre-mainstream MMO and internet in every household world.

tl;dr: A lot of people liked the tedious old-fashioned MMOs.

I think every day about mashing flame 4 or something else stupid on ash gromnies to level and thank loving god that someone put an end to that stupid poo poo. Or in UO's case creating an auto macro to run my boat back and forth while alternating flame bolts and bandages because haha compelling gameplay.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

Even in EVE, from the very beginning, the vast majority of the playerbase has existed in carebear land. I can't find numbers from after 2015 but the % has stayed level for 4+ years worth of data.

That graph gives terrible information because it lacks context. I had at one point 9 eveguys spread on three accounts. Three characters lived in nullsec or nullsec boardering lowsec. The other six stayed exclusively in highsec and existed soley to funnel money to the nullsec guys. But if you asked me: I'm a nullsec player. CCP Being retarded is unable to create a chart with any nuance.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

SO the answer isn't that the vast majoity of the playerbase are carebears but that the population of the game is vastly overstated.

Yep. A large portion of nullsec dudes have multiple characters on multiple accounts because unlike in other MMOs everything scales well with numbers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
lol at any idiots that even bought this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

MMOs weren't killed by pubg and dota. PVP focused mmos were. FF14 and WoW still have crazy player counts that rival the biggest new AAA releases.

Problem is those two games have had a long time to polish the game/build the base. At this point if you start a new MMO and you haven't got your poo poo at least somewhat as polished as what has already existed for a decade... welp you are hosed.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only wow

I mean it's certainly looking that way. There's only a few devs I'd trust to start from scratch and build a new MMO. Really one, when I think about it real hard, YoshiP at square. Blizz at this point is mainly running off of inherited success imo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

He bailed after the seedinvest campaign. IDK why people are so hard on alexander delarge, he's always a good sport when these things go belly up and if it weren't for his posts this subforum probably wouldn't still be limping along.

I don’t think he’s a bad guy, I just recognize that “The spiritual successor to Ultima Online” is never going to be good, because part of what made UO good was the year it was released and the competition it faced (none). The market has moved on.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Lmbo, just wow.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I mean to be fair back in the day Garriot made innovative and good games, but I think much like Roberts being away and out of touch with both the industry and fan base for so long really hosed up his perceptions on what is and isn’t good.

I mean outside of Alex who really wants to play UO again? Every time the nostalgia bug bites me over games like this I’ll give one a spin and generally be reminded within minutes ow why I’d rather be playing one of the top theme park MMO’s.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If your server was at all populated the reward was getting a whole dungeon to yourself. I made massive bank farming lich lords and I didn’t have to share. Occasionally I’d get hassled but most of the regular reds left me alone because I could and regularly did kill them.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Chrysophylax posted:

Are people really hungering this badly for a new Ultima clone?

Apparently not lol

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I whale like a mofo providing the core underlying gameplay loop is good. I mean the ffxiv devs basically siphon money out of me. But I’m not buying cosmetic poo poo for reskinned ultimate online, sorry.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, I've heard that Wildstar was a train wreck, mostly because they tried to "double dip". (It's free, but you need to 'subscribe' to make it less of a grind, and also there's a cash store.)

Still, no one deserves to have the carpet yanked out from under them like that. gently caress NCsoft.

Free users basically followed the pre F2P leveling path, going from zone to zone do quests level up. Subbed players basically got to wander through zones cherry picking a few quests from each hub before they moved onto the next one, the net difference was a F2P player took about the standard MMO leveling up period to level up, where with paid you could be max level in a few days (Real life days not hours played). They had one of the better F2P models around tbh, the problem is the rest of the game just wasn't there.

They went from the initial problem of all of the content being overtuned and impossible and nothing for the casuals to do, to the later end of the cycle where I could drag even the biggest mouthbreathers in the world through the raid due to gear creep... In my 20 man raid I had precisely 6 competent players. Once everyone geared up from the last raid then they had nothing to do again (Because there was no casual poo poo to tide them over and the dev team was uhhhh eviscerated by that point).

Most goons griping about this game gripe about the paid launch, but ignore the fact that most of the things they bitched about got fixed. Then Carbine made all new mistakes. By the time I quit people were pugging the super hardcore raids.

Literally every step they took was What_Not_to_do_with_a_MMO.pdf

EDIT: I will say that the reason I get mad about wildstar and don't give the slightest gently caress about SoA, is you can see where a lot of love and effort was poured into wildstar, meanwhile SOA was a two gens ago unity asset flip cash grab. Nobody gave a poo poo about this project.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 1, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Licarn posted:

I backed this in 2014 because I had have brainworms. Eventually I got slightly better and stopped paying attention to it. So far, haven't played it and don't want to play it. I think I was supposed to get some physical "rewards" but I never put my address in and missed the cut-off for that. I hope Space Cadet British enjoyed my donation to his charity fund.

That's my Shroud of the Avatar story.

Why the gently caress do you people back for so goddamn much? Like ok I've backed one game ever and that was battletech for like $25 bucks, and here you guys are throwing "I blew my families christmas money on hotdog guy" levels of cash at a guy who hasn't made ANY game since the early aughts" for a game that lol lets face it, even if it was good was going to be a one time $60 purchase.

I mean I make bad money decisions to the tune of buying wildstar when it came out, but that was like a $60 oopsie.

EDIT: I felt the same way before we knew SC was a scam and goons were like buying $500 bucks worth of internet spaceships. I can't justify spending more than a few dollarinos for "Maybe a product someday".

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gynovore posted:

One word... reputation.

We like to point at Star Citizen as the prime example of throwing money down the shitter. But, let's look back at the nineties. Back then, Chris Roberts came out with the Wing Commander series of games, which were consistently great (albeit with hefty hardware requirements), while our buddy Derek Smart was making GBS threads out terrible games and broken promises. So, when Crobber announced he was giving birth to The Greatest Game Ever, and Smart called him a fraud, people threw money at Roberts and laughed at Smart. Why? Because Roberts had a good reputation and Smart had a lovely one.

Lord British hasn't made a good game in a long time, but the ones he made long ago were awesome. Ultima V in particular was so good it ought to be hung on the Smithsonian wall. So when LB unveiled a new Avatar game, thousands of forty year old nerds fondly remembered their childhoods spent slouched in front of the Commodore 64, and sent British their kids' college funds. Reputation.

Yeah but I'm one of those 40 year old nerds, and I remember Ultima 8, 9 and Tabula Rasa. He lost the thread well before he stopped making games.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the wing commander games were not consistently great what the gently caress are you smoking

even gaming magazines back then gave them like 6/10 at best

WC 1 and 2 and Privateer were great. And yeah that's about it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

Did you fall into a hole around the release of WC2? Crobbler's last effort was a project so badly mismanaged he was thrown off it in the hopes they could cobble together an ok game.

I thought it was freelancer he got chucked off of by Microsoft in hopes a game would actually happen... this happened more than once? :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Nope, their plan was to create a supe rsuccessful virtual economy like UO and get stinking rich selling unity houses

so the plan was stupid straight from the get go.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lum_ posted:

haven't worked on this game in a year but i'll give your advice proper consideration regardless, thanks random internet person

So are you under an nda re: train wrecks coz holy moly

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BobHoward posted:

e: I want to make it clear that I have a lot of respect for Fred Ford and Paul Reiche because they made some games I did play back then and loved and they've also stayed in the industry and grown with it, I am not in any way saying they're frauds, it's just that without a healthy dose of nostalgia lots of old games are poo poo.

TBH this is kinda why all of the origin has beens have been folding up lovely projects for the last five years. Chris Roberts and Richard Garriot stopped making games, and none of them bothered paying attention to new trends in either game development or project management. And the results are showing. Meanwhile there's dudes who are just as ancient and wizened in the industry but they kept making games, they kept up with how they were being made.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dementropy posted:

Alexander DeLarge hyping SotA should've been a big red flag for everyone, in retrospect.

Before that, Ultimate Collector or whatever that bullshit garage sale game was that Garriott made before this dumpster fire.

Except instead of vitrually flipping assets, Portalarium turned it into a business model.

Alex was a stratics mod if I’m not mistaken which means he’s probably just brain damaged enough to think that a UO successor could or would exist in the modern era.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Honestly y’all could of just looked at who the op of this thread was and assumed it was gonna be trash.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Sorry I couldn’t stop laughing at Legendary Gamer

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

I think you're thinking of Tabula Rasa and it was very mediocre. How much of that was Garriot and how much of it was NCSoft is debatable, I suppose, but I'm guessing it was at least 50-50. While Carmack hasn't done anything in a while I would argue his game engines have had a much larger impact on the gaming industry than anything Garriot has ever done (which is not meant to downplay how big a deal Ultima was/is, it's just that I'd argue the idtech engines are much bigger deals)

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the guy that functionally invented the crpg is about as important as the guy who invented the shooter.

The Idtech engine seems like a big deal but pretty much is a drop in the bucket compared to source, unreal and unity.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

It's way more profitable to not-make an MMO then to make an MMO.

tbh I'll be shocked if another successful MMO pops out of the woodwork in the next decade, only way I see it happening is if bliz and square both decide to put their poo poo on maint mode to work on the next thing, and I don't see that happening.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Draynar posted:

Shouldn't have wiped my house during one of those breaks then :(

This is why they encourage it, the nonstop housing shortage :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gynovore posted:

4 and 5 are the only games that actually require the player to not lie and boast and steal. All other Ultimas allowed you to be a typical RPG rear end in a top hat.

First thing I did in every 7 play through was rob the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Lum let us know when your NDA drops so you can really fill us in on this boondoggle.