Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it, what's the misleading title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Or UO had so many items that were everywhere thrown away but like got patched out entirely and became super valuable, like bloody bandages or no draw tiles

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

30.5 Days posted:

Today in data mining: aggro. This system sucks real bad. Heals draw full health-value aggro from all nearby mobs, which means that if someone heals a quarter of my health, that's twice as good as my taunt. In fact, aggro tools suck so bad that it's pointless trying to tank using anything but blade because DPS is the only thing that matters much for tanking & blade's by far the best melee weapon for DPS. Self-heals draw half aggro. There are some ok things- there's a flat negative aggro buffer of (distance from mob/2), and when you first draw the attention of a mob, you get an aggro pillow of 100 damage that gradually draws down to 25 damage over the course of 15 seconds. Unfortunately, these values are absolute so as damage values balloon, aggro becomes increasingly twitchy.

Not sure how someone holding a shield or in defensive stance could ever hold aggro against a 2H melee, they do more damage by design and have all the same aggro benefits you do.

By the way, the aggro impact of Escape is undone if anyone does damage to the target, it seems to be intended to be used when a mob first turns on you with the hope that it will force the mob to choose a different target, and the impact of the target aggro pillow will keep them there. But the negative aggro value of escape is less than the value of the aggro pillow, so this is meaningless.

Example:

You and I are fighting the monster and have been for a while, I have 200 aggro and you have 150 aggro. In addition, I have an aggro pillow of 25 because I'm the target and you have an aggro pillow of -10 because you're 20 units away. So our actual values are 225 and 140

You crit for 86 damage and your actual value goes up to 226, so the mob changes targets. You get a new-target pillow of +100. Also the mob is moving toward you. So your aggro is 326 and rising and mine is 200. You use escape. Congratulations, now your aggro is 276 until someone does damage to it, after which it will revert to 326. Wow. I taunt and my aggro is 275. THE TAUNT UNDOES YOUR ESCAPE. Still haven't taken back aggro and yours is increasing as the mob closes distance. Kill me.

hahaha

I laughed out loud at taunt actively making the mob go back to the original target

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ask him if he ever learned how to load any of his guns other than the uzi

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm changing my vote to tell him "vendor buy bank guards I will take thee"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the details but I remember laughing really hard ITT about that post where the guy broke down how aggro and taunting (don't) work

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey to be fair

They have TWO guys that made UO, not one

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
do you think LB would be willing to put in guillotines

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thursday Next posted:

Did you know:

You cannot buy a house in single player offline unless you spend hundreds of dollars of real money

The above is true.

They removed "lot deeds" from offline single player. You cannot get a house in your offline game unless you buy a lot deed from their real money store to tie to your account.

holy poo poo lmao

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One thing I have always found funny is that I CONSTANTLY hear sounds from UO in all sorts of movies and TV even now. They must have pulled all those sounds from some really famous free sound pack or something.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unctuous Cretin posted:

The goat and sheep bleat I hear a lot, occasionally the cow mooing, and sometimes even the scorpion chittering sound. What really blew my mind was hearing the skeleton bone rattle when someone rattled pottery recently.

I would love to hear someone use that crazy ettin mating call, though.

Buffy used the spell fizzle sound a lot in combat, and the third part of JoJo uses the moving something in a pack sound. I hear a lot of the animal sounds everywhere too, mostly the hind and bear sounds for me

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm just mostly surprised it's the same ones from 1997

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know about the Wilhelm scream, I actually have no idea what the Howie scream is

Also speaking of stock sounds, for whatever reason I hear Oblivion's door opening sounds in all sorts of things

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

yoloer420 posted:

Yeah, I wanted him to keep making games until I found out that UO was only good because EA kept him under control and vetoed his terrible ideas.

Edit: Richard wanted the entire game to be trammel :0

You are gonna have to source that because I find it extremely hard to believe that the guy that lobbied hard for cannibalism to stay in the game wanted it to not even have pvp

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
dear richard (garriott)

I donated $10,000 but haven't received my authentic UO-era NO DRAW tile yet, how do I get my money back

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The thing is they already made like 6 more Shenmue games they are just called Yakuza

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
On my first week of UO, I didn't know about moongates so using the cloth map that came with the game I attempted to run from Yew to Britain

Somewhere along the way I ran into a PK and died and instantly ressed with the "take stat loss" option because you could do that back then and I didn't know any better, so of course I was killed many times and wound up with skills worse than a starting character and ended up remaking

Around that same time I started with something like 33 tailoring, 33 archery, and 33 bowcrafting (wanting to be a ranger) and I would spend incredibly long times killing deer and making studded cuirasses, and then trying to sell them to people at the tailor by telling them hey I can sell you a better outfit for cheaper than the leather you're buying from that NPC!

I actually made a couple sales!

Eventually my friend convinced me to try PKing so I got up my courage and my heavy xbow and my 40 archery, and I attacked someone named "Damian" who only slowly walked towards me and punched me, but ended up basically winning the fight and I had to run.

It wasn't until later that I figured out Damian was a wandering monk NPC (not healer because his paperdoll just said his name)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shy posted:

Who is Lum and why is everyone trying to defend him? All I understood is he's somehow involved in producing this piece of poo poo.

he had a good web site that everyone into MMOs in the late 90s read

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just want to know if SOTA will have fetapults or not

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i actually learned about these forums from the Lum the Mad forums lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Microtransactions in a game are honestly probably a sick money laundering scheme

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, Shroud of the Avatar has a offline version that lets you craft and have access to any of the super expensive cash shop items that you can only obtain with real money on the official online server. Making the online server kinda pointless.

uhh what about the awesome PvP experience? raids??? like, hello??

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lonjon posted:

Can you bake bread? Can you bake bread in this game?

no, we play games to crush

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh man I never thought Richard Garriott would be presiding over the video game version of an episode of kitchen nightmares :(

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lum i'm glad you escaped I hope you find a good job

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lum if you really need to work for an 80/90s gaming star maybe the Harebrained guys have an opening and those games are good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
how much was the required donation go to that dinner party

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Actually, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that it's the opposite. The reality is that it's typically adults with mental illnesses, and/or addictions in general that buy this stuff. Wealthy people honestly don't waste their money, that is why they are wealthy.

Nah wealthy people just get weirdly nitty about certain things. I have a rich great aunt who drives a nearly 100k Mercedes but wouldn't pay $2 for a banana at an airport because that's more than double what they cost!!

Wealthy people waste money all the time tho, for instance I play FIFA and every year I play several Saudis who have teams where they have obviously put $500+ into the game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hmm you probably won’t

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Six AM posted:

That lum dude loving sucks and has always sucked

Nah

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think Garriot is mostly interested in weird (sex) parties and space?

garriott seems more like the type of dude that would legit just rather play video games than do any sex

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bieeanshee posted:

So help me, I was in the IRC channel when that silliness was going down.

Are you bieeeardo

I think I originally found this site, the sa forums, because of a post you made on lums forums in like 1999 or 2000

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is there anyone in this thread under the age of 35? Jeez.

i'm 34 ha ha suck it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FreeWifi!! posted:

No servers

Just one server. (population around 22 on a Friday night.)

The game continues to get hilariously worse each patch.

:negative:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Imagine paying thousands for this piece of poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

Hi SOTA thread! I love this thread. It's a time capsule of my hopes and dreams working for my 1990s-era heroes being crushed into a fine paste, sprinkled over noodles, and served to someone who paid $7000 for an ugly airship.

Anyway, guess what!

https://getpangaea.com/

Huh, looks like any other web3 "game" being announced, wonder who's working on it...

https://getpangaea.com/About-us/

oh god, what

https://getpangaea.com/About-Project-Rise/What-Project-Rise-is-and-isnt/#wbb1

surely no one is putting money into this

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/540043-03#funding

whyyyyyyyyyyy

lol I got a kick out of reading this post and then seeing who was posting it

when I was a kid I used to read your site all the time while playing whatever MMO was big and now I'm old too

I ended up on this forum because of people referencing it on your message boards!