Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It looks like the worst kind of lovely translation, not even hilariously bad, but just annoying bad.

...maybe I should've gotten the JP version and struggled that :ohdear:

honestly, like 80% of the time it's totally f ine. Super bland, but fine. Characters say things that are even grammatically correct. Frankly it's a better translation than a lot of PSX rpgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"No Need for tricks or cheap shots. Just come at me."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Christmas Island is where Goatse was originally hosted, if I remember right.
a rich cultural heritage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they had no idea what to do with the word, so they hosed around with a spellchecker until they found something that was a word and put it in

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Not the worst translation of Soul.
I feel like the translators didn't really get that the spirits were meant to be mecha cliches, and just tried to translate them as sci-fi/fantasyish.

Which is fair considering they probably had barely any context to work with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, even when it gets incoherent it doesn't descend into being complete wordsalad, it's mostly just a word accidentally being used twice or an incorrect word (why instead of what). You can adjust for it and it'll make sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

What was the reception for the 3DS SRW games anyway?
gundam age was actually integrated okay iirc

that's all i got

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOaz_5ZJKw

lol drat you're right, this dude looks better than some Z2 units

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly cross ange has some really bad scenes but at least it actually goes somewhere with that kinda stuff, even if it's stupid and leering about it. valvrave has rape and then the immediate response to that rape is for every character to make excuses for it and downplay it. cross ange is kinda gross, like a b-grade exploitation film from the 80s, but valvrave is actively disturbing.

Cross Ange isn't any worse than Zeorymer, and if anything I'd say it's not as bad as Zeorymer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hosed up opinion: I actually kind of liked that cross ange was explicit about the fact that everyone on the base was loving in the background. considering their situation (all stuck on a small base with their only freedom being able to move around it at will) it made sense and was good characterization. Like I know it was just an excuse to draw ladies making out, but as far as excuses to do that go it was at least a kind of interesting one.

the episode where a dude falls into ange's boobs seven times and then they fall in love was terrible tho.

edit: looking forward to seeing them implement this into SRW as hilda sleeping with misato

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 1, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I at least like that you don't have to get people PP to get them skills. It was always a pain to get someone like the old dude from Trider G7 any sort of kills if you wanted him to be able to resupply after moving, and god forbid you wanted to give him support attack, cooperative attack, and SP regen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Oh, and buried lede - Ace Bonus is now a skill i.e. you have to have 50 kills and research/buy/attach the skill. And of all things it's at the end of the support tree.
thats kinda lame because ace bonuses are one of the big distinguishing factors in these games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

by the Z series they have late-game balance pretty down. there's a bunch of mooks you effortlessly destroy and then a couple of bosses for your supers to dump valor into.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Speaking of V, I looked at that scan again and one thing I noticed is it looks like it's missing the skills you'd associate with any kind of squad system, like Follow/Focus/Cluster Attack. It's just the basics.
That's kind of an interesting point because something like Cross Ange could be a 12-unit fiesta in a squad game but easily get away with only having 3 units and having the rest represented as assist attacks in a single-unit game.

It also means we might not get Roberto as a unit from Zeta Gundam. I missed that dude in Z2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Dear SRW thread, am I mis-remembering something, or was there some kind of shoujo anime crossover game on like the (first) playstation? Something with a bunch of old magical girl shows and stuff?

I know Super Heroine Chronicle is a thing on PS3 but that's not what I'm thinking of.
You might be thinking of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_in_Nakayoshi_World ? It's snes but very late in its life cycle, and fits the bill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haha, while trying to find that one I came across this masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeuC3FdiO2Q&t=336s

Finally, a crossover of darker than black and s-cry-ed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

On episode 97 of internet interview show Matt Chat,[1] creators Fred Ford and Paul Reiche described the unusual production style. The company were faxed design documents directly from Bandai which needed to be translated from Japanese before any of them could be implemented. The process was so laborious, the developers eventually stopped receiving Bandai's faxes in order to finish the game on schedule.

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Super Magical Girl Wars nto being a thing is a combination of licensing - Toei would get you PreCure and Sailor Moon, and obviously the Symphogear guys are willing to play ball, but then you'd have to scour high and low for the rest to fill up a roster - and just not seeing a market for it. The kind of otaku that are into giant robots probably aren't also into magical girls, and 4 year old girls probably don't play much strategy RPGs, is probably the logic they're using.

I think it could work if you went with a few nostalgia bait series (Read: Sailor Moon), a couple of precure, and then filled the rest of the roster with shows that weren't really aimed at kids, like Symphogear, Madoka, Yuuki Yuuna, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is directly inspired by Super Robot Wars, no way you could leave it out.
that'd be the etc!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rahxephon got an official US release, but is the weapon's name ever said in the show? If it's meant to be indonesian, maybe whoever translated the show caught that and made it into actual indonesian words instead of indonesian by way of Japanese.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 10, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe it's just the indonesian word for wave motion :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

I dunno where the tipping point was...
Minky momo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

It didn't cause it, but it seemed to happen around the time Sailor Moon showed up on US broadcast TV.

Magical Princess Minky Momo is a Japanese magical-girl anime franchise by Production Reed. The original series ran between 1982 and 1982 on TV Tokyo and inspired three OVAs between 1985 and 1987.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine the internet was a big factor in it because it allowed people to interact and discuss any manner of show with other people rather easily.

I know the initial response to this stuff is to go "oh, it's creepy fuckers masturbating to children/animals/whatever" but a lot of what it seems to be is people looking to have emotional experiences normally denied to them by the media supposedly aimed at them. Especially to a certain type of dude it's pretty hard to find stories about friendship/emotions/ect within the media aimed at your group. (Likewise, it is why you're seeing an upswing in women embracing normally male-oriented properties because the exact opposite is true too.). The unfortunate side effect however is that it does also attract those type of weirdos and that the worst of the lot tend to dominate discussions. (The worst of the lot actually tend to dominate discussions even for male-oriented products but it stands out less there because people are less surprised about a dude being weird about Batman than they are about a brightly-colored pony or whatever.)

But regardless, being able to talk and interact with others, as well as easily watch or acquire episodes, makes it easy for those groups to form.
Also yeah, this is pretty accurate. It's the same reason there's a lot of women who love stuff like Hokuto no Ken or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give fa the strongest gundam because she's voiced by satomi arai

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

[*]No ALL weapons
[*]No Formation menu
[*]No squad skills
[/list]
there are probably no squads.
Maybe those all get introduced when squads get added later on? Oooh. Ahh.

But yeah no squads wouldn't surprise me. The only series that really have characters to make squad filler of are Cross Ange and the gundams. I guess if you really, really mined Nadesico you could toss in the jovians, but that's still only like 8 characters.

Oh, also, akurasu has a tiny bit on the skill route system translated if you're curious.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 21, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Cross Ange pilots there are pretty obvious picks, and we'll probably get Chris and Salia too.

The big questions wrt Cross Ange characters are if we'll get Tusk himself as a pilot (he rides around a kind of hoverbike thing that can shoot lasers but never really accomplishes much until like the last ep), and whether or not Vivian will be able to use her dragon form at all (she can turn into a dragon, and hits a mech once, but she never really consistently fights in it that I recall). that last one is mostly relevant because an actual dragon as a unit in a SRW game would be cool. And whether or not they'll go all Code Geass in Z2 and give us the really minor background characters like Rosalie's squad of newbies. Or a secret to save that one girl from the blood explosion gif.

I'm not super into Cross Ange but I at least liked most of the cast and a SRW game kind of has to naturally remove most of the dumber elements of its plot because it's 99% static heads talking and so can't do fanservice, so it's probably the only series I'm that excited for in this. (I liked Yamato well enough but a single battleship isn't a lot to go on, and I don't really care about Crossbone or old super robot shows)

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 21, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and if nothing else cross ange is a source of female pilots who aren't completely inferior to the protagonist of their series.

I still don't know why Sara was in the panther in Z2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want escaflowne to be in a game that isn't freaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGWx4WrcLg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a super robot wars game comprised solely of shows that have only been in one other srw game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, for shows that have never been in SRW at all, here's a wishlist for V2 or whatever

ludicrous long shot: symphogear (the characters are basically on the same level as blade but unlike blade the show doesn't have mechs or spaceships as side elements, so rip)

long shot: voltron legendary defenders (I watched this show on netflix and it was actually pretty good, and iirc it got a japanese dub so it could work out)

normal shot: build fighters (I still think it could work, and the mech designs are great, but the fact that it's a gundam series that'd need to be 'made' to work at all is rough)

almost certain: ironblooded orphans (i mostly just want a SRW mix of raise your flag)

Oh, gundam thunderbolt'd be cool too, but the problem there is that the Zeon side of that movie is way more sympathetic than the Feddie side.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Ideon has only been in two or three games, right? I'm kind of surprised it hasn't popped up more.
It's probably just because of how setting-dominatingly powerful it is. It can work if you work around it but it isn't some random gundam series or one-off super robot show that you can just plug in for an added unit like Trider.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Incidentally, the shuttle from Trider was one of my favorite units in Z2/Z3 just because of the one girl in it that had like 20 SP cheer and 30 SP bless, and I always get sad when Trider isn't added into new games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

I kinda hate the Hathaway's Gundam designs. Love me some Crossbone though. If I had to add a series, gun to my head, I'd say Giant Robo. Just to help blend the old & the new.

We're never gonna get the magical Christmas scenario of Z2's cast announcement again, so I feel like this about as strong a list you could ask for at present. Years from now, when they add Code Geass 3, if that's when they get around to MJP, Valvrave, Macross Delta and Iron-Blooded Orphans then that'll be a pretty big splash.
The main issue there is they need to make games in the interim. Delta and IBO probably aren't in because they aren't done/weren't done when the game started development, and probably the same with MJP if they were waiting for the movie/episode 25.

Iunno about Valvrave, though. It could have fit in with a game with Cross Ange. Maybe they *are* saving it for a game with Geass? In those cases, next game might be IBO/Delta/MJP, and that'd be a decently big splash. You could put in Akito the Exiled too, though that'd chain you to including original Geass as well, and Z2 was so Geass focused that iunno if they'll include it again for a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, it features the incredibly buff Dr. Hell announcing his evil plans to the U.S. government while lifting the President over his head by said man's scrotum. So yeah.
with recent events in mind, im all for that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Fantasy Maiden Wars?

technically those are also based on fighting games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Now I want a SRW but exclusively about heroes with time limits, or other bizarre limitations.
finally, a game for star driver

edit: random q but does anyone have a link to the old thread?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 22, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Isn't Tauburn the only one without a time limit?

e: here
Yeah, but doesn't Tauburn still have to break into that time limit to fight?

God, Star Driver was weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I wish they would have a Super Shounen Anime Wars.

I mean, combine the casts of Dragonball, One Piece, Naruto and maybe Hero Academia and that's a large-sized SRW cast right there.
put hunter x hunter in it and give me a secret to recruit the phantom troupe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Super Robot Wars V's English release will be simultaneous with the Japanese one. Also get a look at the English localization in the screenshots!
The only complaint I have is 'Breast Burn' instead of Breast Fire.

• Locked thread