Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love how little Nathan looks kind of like Mikey Walsh from The Goonies, in fact a lot about UC4 reminds me about the Goonies which is why I love it so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sustentacular posted:

Well here have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhZa2NFNyws. Nolan North is given a list of quotes to read in his Nathan Drake voice while Troy Baker is tasked with guessing whether each line was said by Nathan Drake or Drake the rapper. They really do seem to have a lot of fun together.
The interview between the two is also great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu30xUy2ex0
Basically Troy and Nathan are the greatest :allears:

There are some cutscenes in there but nothing that wasn't in the commercials for the game

I love the reference to Last Crusade with the cut from smiling young Drake to getting punched in the face adult Drake

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 8, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The only thing frustrating about this LP is going to be waiting for the first few chapters. The game starts out slow and its like a show that works better as a binge watch over waiting week after week.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Just freakin criminal they used all that old art from the previous games and couldn't fit in The Faces of Victor Sullivan?????
UC3 also seemed to get jobbed out, they didn't even use the best set piece from that game!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

There is no reason for Sam to be Nates brother instead of a really good friend he grew up with other than trying to "top" your last story (and really ruining a lot of the previous ones because now there's scenes that simply don't make any sense). I understand why stuff like that would make a writer upset.
Wasn't Amy's original idea to make Sam judging by how he narrates the first teaser for UC4?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

If that was supposed to be Sam's first incarnation then it seems he was originally going to be the villain? Or at least not a good guy at the start.
Yeah I meant to say that, but forgot to :downs:

But apparently the original incarnation of UC4 was supposed to be darker, which is kind of funny when you consider that the people who took charge and made it lighter were the same people who made The Last of Us

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I got to say on the Volition stream of the Telltale Batman Game it was great for reaction to Sully's VA voicing Falcone Chip. That and the game looks great especially with the murderers row of Voice Acting talent they got for it; surprised Nolan North wasn't in it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I want a Chloe spinoff, since it seems she's still doing the interesting game stuff instead of settling down and having a family.
Cutter can be her Sully too

Is it just me or is Uncharted 4 one of the most "feel good" game in the past few years?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

He'd also be the Nate too, since he knows history stuff.

But he'd probably talk to himself less when he figured things out.
I just hope if they do a Chole/Cutter DLC like I think they are doing they don't kill off Cutter in a contrived matter.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nathan would probably be able to do pretty well in academia if it weren't for his kleptomania and the fact that he ends up destroying every ruin he finds.

I don't know why Elena is encouraging him to go off the straight and narrow, they seem to be alright financially. They could just go on another vacation instead.
I think Nate would get bored with academia when he has to deal with stick in the mud archaeologists who get mad when you want to find a lost civilization instead of looking at some peasant's trash pit. That poo poo didn't bring in the big bucks when museums first started, going to other countries' and taking their priceless treasures did!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

Since Naughty Dog exists in the Uncharted universe because of Crash Bandicoot, what did they develop in Uncharted's place??
Still making Jak and Daxter games which must have become really popular seeing how there are board games for them

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

the darkness games were better than the comic they're based on by a lot as well
Great voice acting in those games too

Also this episode justified why it would have been dumb to kill off Sully in UC3 :colbert:

Really the Uncharted games are like the Fast and Furious series; a lot of action set pieces and people being like a family.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Haha, God that was a good film.
The Mummy Returns is also good fun even though the CGI has aged terribly;

has the greatest NOoooooooooooooooooooo scene put on film too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

Wasn't the kid a teenager in the cartoon?
Yeah she was also on Mr. Show with her older (or younger) sister
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI7CIWJ5PJc

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Sully was birthed, fully formed, from the head of a prostitute in Tijuana.
Just replace this with Sully
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1111

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Its pretty amazing coincidence but Tom Hanks does look like Sully in this movie about the guy who was able to land a plane safely in the Hudson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tippis posted:

How do you make a 96-minute move out of a 6-minute event, 2½ of which were uneventful. :psyduck:
It looks to be dealing a lot with the legal aftermath and the effects of being called a hero

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Not gonna lie, I love the game but I groaned real hard when he lied to her about where he's going because come on now, who here doesn't know exactly where that's going to lead already. (the answer is nobody, everybody knows where it's going)
Its almost the worst cliche TV bullshit; the worst is of course "He's/She's standing right behind me isn't she/he?"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jalathas posted:

I'm pretty sure he's not lying to her to avoid having the conversation. He's trying to keep her safe by not getting her involved, because he's the hero and that's what heroes do. Relatedly, heroics are stupid and tend to get him in all sorts of trouble, but that's far from new.
He is also putting a lot of unneeded stress on himself because he wants to prove Elena and himself that he can have leave that adventuring life behind him; despite the fact that Elena was perfectly fine with him doing the Malaysia job.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

If anyone's struggling to place Nadine's voice actress, that's Laura Bailey, essentially the female counterpart to Troy (In that she's frigging' everywhere).

I'm not a huge fan of how Nadine's boss fight is handled, though that's simply because I detest the "Playable boss fight that the player has to lose," cliche. Surely Naughty Dog could have done a cutscene where Nate gets a lucky shot in and takes Nadine down, only for some goons to come in and for him to have to jump out the window. As it stands, it just felt to me like artificially making Nadine look more badass when she hasn't really earned those credentials.
This game has all the best SR4 Boss voice actors

Bruceski posted:

Oh, and as for Indiana Jones references, "Belloq's Rafe's staff is too long, they're digging in the wrong place."
There are a lot of Raiders references in this game; still my favorite is the Last Crusade reference from the beginning.

Also Sully loving over Rafe at the last second of bidding is probably my favorite Sully moment

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

While there was a break between updates I went back to reread the UC3 LP thread and its kind of funny in retrospect how people were worried how this game was going to be all depressing and serious when the news about the creative shake ups at ND started.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

And Salim

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Pretty much only the main characters get that treatment, which makes it an even worse storytelling device because you can immediately tell if a character is important or not if they have a ~history~ with the protagonist(s).
Eddy?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Thread got me unexected when the 120 something new messages weren't about the Laura Bailey voicing a black woman when Naugty Dog could have hired someone more fitting but Nadine being a scripted fight.

I guess since Drake has to end out the window by the end of it the player could just run away immeditaly when the fight began. Those guns could choke a grizzly
Well the story is that Nadine was originally a White South African, but they changed her to black and liked the look and since Laura was already doing mocap and VAing for it they decided to keep rolling with it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I hope that one of the cairn quips wasn't lost because it is probably my third favorite video game reference in this game

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Y'know a geology edutainment game would be kinda gneiss
Geop alt account found

That or you are also a geologist because geologists can't go 10 seconds without making a rock pun

Just ask me and my old college bar trivia team Gin and Tectonics

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

cdyoung posted:

How the bloody hell did Helena track them down?
Used the GPS on Drake's phone to track his movements ever since she last called him

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I know they are dumb bullshit that everyone thinks are stupid, but the game award noms are up and UC4 is in a whole bunch of them

http://thegameawards.com/
:lol: Especially in the Performance Awards where Nolan, Troy, and Emily are up for their performances :lol:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Why would you have a 2016 awards show before 2016 is even over??
Does anything good come out in December?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That was more a case of greed than anything else.
He felt he didnt have enough, so a few merchant ships, a hit was called and bam you got one pirate dead at 38.
Its amazing how short Pirates' careers were, well not surprising given the times they lived.

My favorite Pirate story actually isn't during the Golden Age of Piracy, but rather Roman times when Cilician Pirates captured Julius Caesar

From Some Clickbait Article posted:

A 25 year old Julius Caesar was sailing the Aegean Sea when he was kidnapped by Sicilian pirates. The pirates who captured him initially asked for a ransom of 20 talents of silver (which is about 620 kg of silver or $600,000 by today’s silver prices). According to Plutarch, rather than send his associates off to gather the silver, he instead laughed at the pirates and demanded they ask for 50 (1550 kg of silver), as 20 talents of silver was too small of a ransom for himself.

The pirates, of course, agreed and Caesar sent some of his associates off to gather the silver, which took 38 days to accomplish. Now nearly alone with the pirates (only keeping two servants and one of his friends), rather than cower, he instead took the route of treating them as if they were his subordinates. He even went so far as to demand they not talk whenever he decided to take a nap or go to sleep for the night. He spent most of his time with them composing and reciting poetry, as well as writing speeches. He would then recite the works to the pirates. He also joined in with playing various games with the pirates and participating in their exercises, generally acting as if he wasn’t a prisoner, but rather, their leader. The pirates quickly grew to respect and like him and allowed him the freedom to more or less do as he pleased on their island and ships.

While he was friendly with them, he also didn’t appreciate being held captive. As such, he swore to them that he would hunt them down and have them crucified, once the ransom was paid. Despite the fact that at that time he was just acting as a private citizen, once he was free, he manage to quickly raise a small fleet which he took back to the island the pirates had held him at. Apparently they hadn’t taken his threats seriously, because they were still there when he arrived. He captured them and took back his 50 talents of silver, along with all their possessions.

He next delivered the pirates to the authorities at the prison at Pergamon and then traveled to meet the proconsul of Asia, Marcus Junius, to petition to have the pirates executed. The proconsul refused, wanting to sell the pirates as slaves and take the spoils for himself. Unhappy with this outcome, Caesar traveled back to Pergamon where the Sicilian pirates were being held and ordered that they be crucified under his own authority, which was subsequently done.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Fecha posted:

I have to wonder why Cutter didn't die if he was never going to be relevant again
He was going to show up in this game, but that got thrown out of the window when the creative shakeups happened at ND.

Maybe the single player DLC for this game will be a Chloe/Cutter story happening during this game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I love the gag of Sam disappearing and then you climbing around and seeing him pushing a really heavy crate to help you climb up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Xinder posted:

Considering how big on individual freedom they seem to be, I don't find slave labor too likely. But I suppose it's definitely possible.
Eh Henry Avery was probably cool with it judging by this

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hopefully Graham McTarvish wasn't busy with anything during the time they did mocap

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Felinoid posted:

I am suddenly much less interested in the plot after that cutscene. Cliche brother betrayal, Sam gets shot again in a maybe-lethal way, and the possibility of a three-way tug of war is thrown out like old milk. I would actually be completely okay if ep20 was just Nate stealing a boat and going home to try to patch things up with Elena. Let Rafe comb that island for years for the treasure, let Sam be Schroedinger's brother again, just go home and be happy you're not dealing with this poo poo anymore.
Sam never really betrayed Nate, I can relate because if I was on a quest to find lost Pirate treasure I rather trick my younger brother into dropping everything to help me rather than work with the king of all douchebags who is directly responsible for making me stay 13 years in a shithole prison.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Look, some pirates had a little too much grog (and gunpowder) along on their mountain hiking trip.
It was a marble mountain which explains how they got all those statues

God I can't wait for the next update

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The pirate leaders all escaped to the one place that isnt corrupted by imperialism.

SPACE
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man Nate and Sam's dad was a giant rear end in a top hat

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

So if I'm getting this right, Dad Morgan complained about his wife's job, sold her things after she died, and then dropped their kids off at an orphanage.

That's...wow, he may actually be the shittiest person in Uncharted.
Yeah that is some German Folklore/Evil Stepmother poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

In other Uncharted news, the script for the potential movie has been finished which means it will probably rot forever and never be made
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO-m4IiAeBg/

• Locked thread