Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
They sure are running a lot of centrifuges, and kinda sneaky about it too.
Their problem is they need to test any efficient light implosion design, but can't do it at home because the moment they do the Israelis are gonna go all bitch-cakes, cuz, ya know, they're a wee bit touchy about dudes wanting to kill millions of Jews.

So they need someone else to test for them, that is Porky Pig over in Nork.
Or, if they want to be wasteful of uranium, they could build a gun-type slow assembly bomb, which is pretty sure to work.

Now their cover story is that they are making 20% reactor fuel.
Now the way these centrifuge arrays work AFAIK, the richer the feed, the faster the separation. Going from natural .7% to 20% fuel grade consumes the great majority of centrifuge time.
Going from 20% to 80-90% weapons-grade is relatively quick.
So if they have a large stock of 20% they can make enough bomb grade quickly to make a gun bomb.

Whether that bomb would be missile deliverable is unknown, but Murka managed to put a gun bomb in an 8 in. artillery shell (Test Grable).
What are the odds of the ME getting glassed in say, about 2020?
e:
Any small bomb virtually requires fusion boosting to reduce size, weight and efficiency. for that you need tritium and for that you need neutron flux and for that you need a biggish reactor.
e2:
Are they getting tritium from Porky, I wonder?
There's an ugly little partership going on between Nork and Iran. All the more reason to take out the pudgy little gently caress soonest.
Man, he sure could use 15 minutes on a Stairmaster.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm sensing that your question might be in some way loaded

You bet. I'm suspicious as hell.
Nuclear bombs are Power with a capital POW.
Governments seek power always. Oppressive governments even more so.
Sure and they're going for a bomb. They'll just keep it secret and not admit it as Israel (wisely) has.
Plausible Deniability and all that, yah know. Worked for Clinton.

Maybe an Iranian or Korean Vanunu will emerge, I hope.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Zas posted:

yes, I know they're not, I checked and they're not

Are you serious?
What am I saying, of course not.
But, Sauce, if any? I seriously wanna know.
Weapons get built. Weapons get used. This is an axiom.

I don't wanna see a million people burned and half-buried in glass shouting with their skeleton fists raised, "THANKS, OBAMA!"
That would be a Bad Thing.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Kilroy posted:

Zas posted some pics of his trip to Iran not long ago and they were all pics of Iran not building fission bombs OP. He's legit.

Aaaaah, a likely story. They got the bombs hidden in baby formula factories, just like Hussien did (Saddam, not Brak).

zimboe fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 8, 2016

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe you should look at all the stuff you are saying about Israel, oppressive governments and look at the poo poo that Republicans like John McCain say all the time

And they wonder if mayyyyyyyyyyybe, just maybe there is a reason Iran might want nukes

Mmmmmmmm, could be.
Yahh.
Nukes beget nukes, another arms race at some point boom boomblam, glassed middle east.

As Bishop said, in Aliens II, " An explosion is inevitable at this point."

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Dammit, I have proposed a serious question here.
Now in the old days, during the Cold War, which many Goonsirs are too young to have experienced- the nightmares that many children had at the prospect of instant annihilation at a moment's notice, as I had,
You Goons have never heard the air raid sirens in the 60's whooping and the silly "Duck and Cover" films they showed me. I knew as only a child that it was bullshit and lies.

the prospect of Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) moderated ( a carefully chosen word) the Cold War between the old CCCP and USA.
This worked because neither civilization was irrational and wanted to survive.
Now take the Israelis; culturally traumatized by the Holocaust, and the radical Iranians bound by the quest for a fictional Paradise.
I question if MAD will work against a culture that doesn't value reality.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Dammit, I have proposed a serious question here.
Now in the old days, during the Cold War, which many Goonsirs are too young to have experienced- the nightmares that many children had at the prospect of instant annihilation at a moment's notice, as I had,
You Goons have never heard the air raid sirens in the 60's whooping and the silly "Duck and Cover" films they showed me. I knew as only a child that it was bullshit and lies.

the prospect of Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) moderated ( a carefully chosen word) the Cold War between the old CCCP and USA.
This worked because neither civilization was irrational and wanted to survive.
Now take the Israelis; culturally traumatized by the Holocaust, and the radical Iranians bound by the quest for a fictional Paradise.
I question if MAD will work against a culture that doesn't value reality.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Well, looks like Iran just whacked my Iranian Vanunu. Sad.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't NK just blow up like a thousand tonnes of TNT and claim it was a nuclear blast?

Britain did the same trick back in the 50's when we made a giant fission bomb to try to convince people we had hydrogen bombs (the US were observing and were pretty unimpressed). This directly contributed to a nuclear reactor catching fire since the British nuclear program had to work overtime to replace all the plutonium that just got reduced to gamma rays, and decided the only way to do this was massively cut corners on safety.

You're talking about Windscale, an air-cooled reactor with no more design sophistication than a window-mounted air conditioner.
gently caress, that was a near miss. It could have been worse than Chernobyl, another iffy design.
A graphite fire in a huge uranium reactor, YUM.
Coulda laid waste to a significant part of England.
Build these reactors at the bottom the sea. gently caress the dolphins. Shave the whales.
Water is an excellent shield.
So the fish get radioactive? We'll use 'em for light bulbs, just like the chickens from Kiev.

e2:
Could the Norks be faking all this with vast shitloads of TNT? That's a lotta juice.
It would fit well with the general trend of great steaming crocks of crap from these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Orange Devil posted:

Actually we do air raid sirens the first monday of every month

Really?

Apparently not in Ellay, haven't heard one since the 70's i think.
Or i went deaf and didn't notice.

• Locked thread