Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
U/W acid trip is still my favorite pauper deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

Hm. So what's the best way to deal with flicker-based Tron decks?

Reality acid.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

It's unimaginably slow, extremely easy to disrupt, and doesn't actually do anything while also having a bunch of cards that are really bad if you don't have a Reality Acid in play.

This may all be true but it’s also cool and the most fun

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

GP Indy apparently had over 200 players.

Meanwhile my LGS is trying to have some weekly Pauper events but the only person who has given it a "Going" on Facebook is me. :smith:

one of my FLGS started running pauper. Week one we had 16 people, week 2 we had 12 people, week 3 we had 2 people (and I brought 5 decks to lend out :/)

Pauper is cool and fun and I have many decks made for it in paper, here they are in order of style:

- U/W Acid Trip
- Mono B control
- Izzet Blitz
- Goblins
- Elves
- Bogles

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

Do you enjoy digging and digging and digging until you find a Tireless Tribe, and if you miss you do literally nothing?

Yes of course I like that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm starting a modern league at my current FLGS. I'm running acid trip gently caress the haters

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just won a G3 against mono blue delver with acid trip. Finished the game with 4 cards left in library, drew 20 cards off assorted mulldrifter triggers.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played my first round of paper pauper league and won 2-1 vs 4-colour tron as u/w acid trip.

Game 2 involved all 4soreadimg seas and at least 6 reality acids.

G3 I beat a T4ulamogs crusher.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Reality Acid on Crusher, sac Reality Acid to annihilator is the only sweet thing I ever did with that stupid deck.

I had T3 acid on a tron land, opponent untapped played a mountain and cast crusher, passed. I untapped and journey to nowhere’d the crusher and dream stalker’d the reality acid.

But I really like that that annihilator trigger line

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Started week two of a local paper pauper league that I’m running. Good meta so far:

2 U Delver
1 UR Delver
3 Izzet Blitz
1 Burn
2 Elves
2 Affinity
2 Tron
1 Mono B
1 UB Control
1 Temur Control
1 Dredge
1 Acid Trip

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played R2 of my local paper modern league and got paired against 16 land mono-u delver.

Won 2-1

G1: lost the die roll, opponent has timely counterspells and 2x delver and I don’t gain a significant amount of life. Also I draw 2 spreading seas.

Side out: 3x seagate Oracle, 4x spreading seas
Side in: 3x geist, 2x counterspell, 1x dispel, 1x Sunlance

G2: I gain about 16 life while running my opponent out of resources. Eventually I have 4 flying attackers to my opponents one flying blocker

G3: every creature my opponent plays gets removed, I dispel an annul, I Kor sanctifier a curse of chains, then bounce it and get a spire golem next turn. That’s all she wrote.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

Okay looking at the UR Delver list (6th) that beat me in the win-and-in, I'm real salty about losing to it. They apparently boarded in 8-11 cards - they played four Pyroblasts and three Relics, AND played at least one Stormbound Geist. What the gently caress did they take out? They kept in all four Skreds for game 2 at least.

Bah. Decent top 8 for Tron too.

I was just looking over and saw your name in the 11th place spot.

How loving bananas is that G/W/R splinter twin deck though?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 26, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

It's probably fine except Midnight Guard gets owned by Bolt and the deck can't beat Counterspells and Mulldrifters and Electrickery is a problem for your plan and you'd be under constant time pressure and actually going infinite isn't really feasible online and your manabase is underwhelming and you get owned by Viridian Longbow pretty hard.

That's what I assume the bodyguards and spidersilk armor out of the board are for.

By Bananas, I meant "this deck is cool as hell, and I would probably build it in paper"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uPen posted:

I don't care whether it's good or not I just bought 30 rats and you can't stop me.

22 swamp
30 relentless rats
4 grey merchant
4 oubliette

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played round 3 of paper pauper league. Best izzet blitz in 2. Game two was won when my opponent didn’t realize that he could return two spreading seas’d mountains to cast gush. I’ll take it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Paging Hellsau for Pauper Advice!

My Pauper League match this week is against probably the best tron player in the meta, playing a very controlling build of tron.

I'm on Acid Trip

My opponent is on this build of Flicker Tron:

Aside from keeping him off Tron (ideally with acid instead of spreading seas) do you have any advice for the matchup (since you're an exceptionally experienced pauper and tron player) Any sideboard advice would also be greatly appreciated. (I'm thinking, counter/dispel. stormbound geist in, but not sure what to take out (does the relic come in?))

I assume, watch out for ghostly flicker value loops right?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

Does anyone happen to know what's up with the card Predatory Hunger? The Exodus set symbol on it appears to be a silver uncommon symbol but every card database I can find lists it as being common and legal for pauper, despite having no other printings.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=6141

Says it's common

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

You're doomed. You have no maindeck counterspells and Ghostly Flicker kind of owns your primary game plan, he's got multiple counterspells, and Capsize will be enough to end the match, so game 1 is a lost cause. Your best bet would be to kill any Prisms on sight and hope to color screw him while somehow beating him to death before he finds a relevant spell. I don't even know what you could sideboard to make that matchup good enough to reliably win the match given how badly you'll lose game 1. That particular Tron build seems like it's built in such a way that you have the best chance against it, with only one Flicker, one Pulse, two Walls, two or three Pyroblasts, and a reasonable amount of removal, but after sideboard you get to take out the four Journeys and two Missionaries and bring in what, two Dispels two Counterspells and the Relic? Still missing a card to bring in, and even after sideboarding you have fewer counterspells than they do maindeck and they also get to bring in Pyroblast which is much better than any card you're bringing in. Relic isn't horrible since they only have one Flicker so you might get to eat it, but even without a Flicker loop they can just outdraw you, counter everything important and beat you to death with Mulldrifters or Rolling Thunder you. Maybe you can bring in Hydroblast only to counter opposing Pyroblasts or the Rolling Thunder? That's pretty sketchy and likely to make you wind up with dead cards in hand.

Basically it's a lost cause and you should focus on other matchups.

also Stormbound Geist sucks, a Pyroblastable 3 drop that, if it resolves, is a 10 turn clock isn't worth bothering with.

This all seems correct, and isn't anything I didn't already know.

I got paired against this version of Tron R1 in the league:

And I just absolutely destroyed it, but they also didn't have any flickers.

This matchup I'm facing seems super weird because for the first time ever U/W acid trip is the beatdown deck. I have to try and keep my opponent off having a huge mana advantage and then try to trick them into playing out a mnemonic wall so I can somehow remove it.

I agree on the relic for the second game. I mean I'm 3-0 going into a 5 round tournament so I'm a lock for top 8, I'm just gonna try and steal the win of the century over here.

Edit: I mean as long as I don't get paired against them the first round of top 8 I feel pretty good about making it to prizing.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BGrifter posted:

Anyone in Canada have suggestions for a place if I wanted to slowly start buying up full playsets of commons by set?

Shipping seems to be the big barrier. So many eBay listings are charging $5+ in shipping for 70 cards. Kind of insane when I can get a barbell for weight lifting shipped free. Guess it’s a way to pad their profits.

I kind of like the idea of throwing $20 per paycheque at buying a couple common sets online till I eventually end up with a huge play set for Pauper. I don’t have the time, money or interest to get back into real competitive formats but Pauper has me intrigued.

Local game stores or face to face games?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Some Numbers posted:

Generate mana and win by putting Freed from the Real on Axebane Guardian to instawin with Invoker, I think?

Or what you said.

Lost my league match to flicker tron in 3. At least I took a game off it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

You're doomed. You have no maindeck counterspells and Ghostly Flicker kind of owns your primary game plan, he's got multiple counterspells, and Capsize will be enough to end the match, so game 1 is a lost cause. Your best bet would be to kill any Prisms on sight and hope to color screw him while somehow beating him to death before he finds a relevant spell. I don't even know what you could sideboard to make that matchup good enough to reliably win the match given how badly you'll lose game 1. That particular Tron build seems like it's built in such a way that you have the best chance against it, with only one Flicker, one Pulse, two Walls, two or three Pyroblasts, and a reasonable amount of removal, but after sideboard you get to take out the four Journeys and two Missionaries and bring in what, two Dispels two Counterspells and the Relic? Still missing a card to bring in, and even after sideboarding you have fewer counterspells than they do maindeck and they also get to bring in Pyroblast which is much better than any card you're bringing in. Relic isn't horrible since they only have one Flicker so you might get to eat it, but even without a Flicker loop they can just outdraw you, counter everything important and beat you to death with Mulldrifters or Rolling Thunder you. Maybe you can bring in Hydroblast only to counter opposing Pyroblasts or the Rolling Thunder? That's pretty sketchy and likely to make you wind up with dead cards in hand.

Basically it's a lost cause and you should focus on other matchups.

also Stormbound Geist sucks, a Pyroblastable 3 drop that, if it resolves, is a 10 turn clock isn't worth bothering with.

Mezzanon posted:

Lost my league match to flicker tron in 3. At least I took a game off it.

Here's a longer version of the matchup for you Hellsau, it was closer than I was expecting.

G1: Lose the die roll. I try to play smart knowing that I am hugely unfavored in this matchup, and I do pretty well. I spreading seas to keep my opponent off tron, and I try to get low level beats in and hope he doesn't get the flicker wall combo going. He lands it once and gets rid of a spreading seas on a tron land, but he still doesnt have tron, which allows me to make a sacrifice play with one of my reality acids to draw out countermagic so I can journey to nowhere his mnemonic wall. I eventually have to tap low to get him on a two turn clock, but he has tron online. I need to fade a single turn of him not drawing exactly Tower and having rolling thunder in hand. Opponent draws tower and has rolling thunder in hand and domes me for 15 while I am at 15. (my next turn play was going to be bounce crossroads so that I would not die)

G2: I realize that keeping my opponent off blue is a fools errand so I have to try to outdraw my opponent and/or keep them off non-blue mana. So I spend this game keeping a spreading seas on a tron land, and throwing the rest at green lands/cascade bluffs. to keep my opponent off pulse of murasa. Opponent sticks a rainbow land and lands the stonehorn lock, but has absolutely zero pressure. This gives me a chance to evoke mulldrifter (with sac on the stack) momentary blink mulldrifter to draw 4. Opponent keeps the lock for 3 turns and I spend those 3 turns sculpting my hand and playing two power creatures. I finally make a move where I spreading seas a tron land (taking opponent off tron again) throw a reality acid into countermagic, play a second reality acid on his stonehorn, then bounce the acid, killing the dignitary. Opponent untaps and tries to pulse of murasa the stonehorn back and I have double dispel at the ready. Opponent tried to flame slash one of my attackers and I have the hydroblast and he scoops it up.

G3: I mull to 6 and keep a 2 white land hand, and by the time i see a blue source my opponent can double capsize lol so I scoop it up.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hellsau what’s your current tron list?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just played my first ever round with tireless tribe against ub delver and won. This deck is loving hilarious and fits right into my favorite thing in pauper: dumb uw decks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

It also might not beat Boros since it's tough to Pestilence your opponent's creatures away when they can burn you for 12.

WB pestilence is the same as all my favorite decks in pauper: it’s not one of the top two decks, but it’s cool as hell.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

This will make me feel good when I pay $35 to play it and lose to the top 2 decks repeatedly.

That’ll happen. You might actually be okay vs delver, you probably get wrecked by tron though

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

how unlucky is it that pteramander isn't a common

i feel like I want 4 more good threats in UB Delver. I only have 8

Working as intended. Delver plays a 1 mana 3/2 flyer and a 1 mana 5/5 with unlimited churn and permission. You don’t need more threats you’re the best deck in the format

Edit: isn’t ub delver like 40/75 of the legacy deaths shadow list?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 6, 2019

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm trying to get better at playing tribe. Do I just lose to bogles and Gond and Pestilence?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

little munchkin posted:

you should be fine against bogles, they don't have much interaction. game one you can run out an early tribe and bait them into leaving stuff back to block.

pestilence seems slow, just sculpt a hand and run out tribe once you have mana to protect it. if they're not pressuring you then you can sit back and counter their card advantage and business spells to buy you a lot of draw steps. the long game favors you against anything leaning on reactive cards

You're probably right on bogles, I probably keep thinking of modern bogles which has daybreak coronet for lifelink forever. I still have a lot of learning to do with tribe, that's why i'm running the local pauper league.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
2-0 in my local pauper league after beating mono blue delver

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Somehow beat mono black control with tireless tribe today lmao

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pretty sure I’m paired against bogles next week, welp.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played 2 pauper side events at GP Calgary lost one match across both events and had to explain how my deck won to EVERY OPPONENT (still tribe)

Beat burn while at 1 life 3 times.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played a league match against presence of Gond and managed to slam out games where my opponent didn’t draw prismatic strands. One where I had to do over 34 damage in one swing

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uPen posted:

Rip tribe.

Came here to post exactly this

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

blows my fuckin' mind that some idiot at wotc banned daze and didn't touch tron at all

I’d be happy with just a flicker ban

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uPen posted:

Unban daze you cowards.

Ban flicker so I can play acid trip.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Aranan posted:

Ban Tron, ban Astrolabe, unban Hymn to Tourach you cowards

Ban ghostly flicker so I can play reality acid

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

God yes (eyes reality acids)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

God yes (eyes reality acids)

As a follow up to this I’m definitely bringing acid trip to the local pauper night with ephemerate and mystic sanctuary. gently caress the haters

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Hellsau I'd love to hear your take on the tournament tonight!

give me a rundown on the pauper 1k. any spicy lists? any great plays? give me stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy shitasses mystic sanctuary is a hosed up card, and I’m probably playing it in the worst possible shell for it.

Evoke mulldrifter, ephemerate before sacrifice, next turn ephemerate again, play sanctuary put ephemerate on top, preordain, ephemerate, on upkeep ephemerate Kor skyfisher returning mystic sanctuary, play sanctuary put ephemerate on top of library.