Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Reminder: Batman Confidential #49 is one of the best single issues Batman stories ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

Is that Nu-Bane on the right?

Black Mask.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Madkal posted:

I wish Bruce would grow a mustache for some kind of continuity between him and Alfred.

?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Travis343 posted:

Non-Rocksteady Video Game Batman.

Rocksteady's Batman is a boring arsehole. The games are pretty fantastic (especially the first two), but it's not the most interesting or fun or badarse version of the character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Travis343 posted:

My ideal Batman smiles sometimes. Sometimes because he's amused or satisfied and occasionally because it's scary when he smiles. And sorry dude there's a wide, wide gulf dividing Conroy's Batman in the Arkham games and his Batman in B:TAS. I don't know if it is the material, the knowledge that he's acting for a more 'adult' audience in the games, or the voice directing.
There's a difference between early BTAS and late JLU too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Where's Batman Confidential #49?

Slightly more seriously, No Man's Land should probably be on there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Is that the one that had Batman shirtless but still wearing his mask? And swinging around a sabre? Because that was :krad:
Yeah, Batman #244 - "The Demon Lives Again!"

It's in Tales of the Demon (the 70s O'Neil Batman / Ra's collection), which I should really grab at some point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Batman Never Stopped Loving Libertarianism

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Travis343 posted:

The Batman & Robin issues were the best part of an overall bad storyline. I'm not sure that there's been a good Joker story in the last decade, honestly.

His sections in Arkham Knight :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also if you haven't seen Brave and the Bold you should check it out, since it's very silly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The first episode of Telltale's Batman is free at the moment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rumour is that there's a Damian Wayne game in the works.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The reason I'd pick Luthor over Ra's (who isn't a bad choice) is that Luthor and Doom both cultivate a specific public image, whereas Ra's is a secretive cult leader. You can have a story where Luthor or Doom is motivated by how other people view them, but that doesn't work for Ra's.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 28, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How has DK3 been anyway?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gates of Gotham has lovely art and is Snyder doing his secret-history-of-Gotham stuff is always great but it sounds like it went through a couple of iterations before coming out and I really wonder what might have been.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

This was also apparently written around the same time as Watchmen and I just finished reading that for the first time also. In spite of how..."surreal" everything is in this compared to Watchmen, I genuinely feel like Watchmen had a more optimistic tone. The world of TDKR feels beyond redemption. It's a disease that can only be kept at bay, but not cured.
Have you heard the stories of Miller's early experiences in New York?

THR posted:

One of the things that led you to create Dark Knight Returns was a series of muggings. What happened?

There's something demeaning about the first time you're knocked to the ground and punched in the stomach and have a gun waved in your face and realize that you're completely at somebody's mercy. And they can take your life. And at that point, you'll do anything. There's something so humiliating about that. And to me that made me realize that Batman was the most potent symbol DC had in its hands. Sure, Superman can fly, but Batman turns me back into that guy who is scared and at the same time the guy who can come and save him. It's a perfect myth.

Wired posted:

Miller moved to Taxi Driver-era New York City in 1976, a nervous, lanky hick, an Ichabod Crane in a land of “danger around every corner.” Subsisting on peanut butter sandwiches and cheap hamburger meat, clutching a portfolio held together with stolen baling twine, he was met with rejection at every turn. Go back to Vermont and pump gas, people would tell him. He found work doing carpentry on a stranger's loft, but it turned out that the client was a cocaine dealer wanted by the Mafia. Miller walked in one morning to face “men with guns, pointed at me. The next thing I remember, I was three blocks away, breathing hard.” It wasn't the last time city life would terrorize him.
the everyday violence in Manhattan at the time was taking its toll. “New York is no longer fit for human habitation,” Miller told one friend. After enduring three robberies in the course of a month, he and Varley decided to escape to LA. While she went out west to search for a home, he stayed behind to set up more work to get them out of debt. He had a check in his pocket when, once again, someone tried to rob him. “Frank just went berserk on the guy,” Varley says. “He didn't hit him or anything, he just went so berserk the guy backed off and ran away. We were on edge.”

If you haven't read Batman Year One it's worth bumping to the top of your list, because it's excellent in its own right and is an obvious companion piece to TDKR.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 11, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

After you've read Daredevil have a look at Alan Moore's parody of Miller's Daredevil.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Grant Morrison who is very famous and popular but I never knew it existed until now.
:getin:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I finally got around to reading Batman / Elmer Fudd and I was not disappointed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How important are the Nightwing issues to the Monster Men crossover?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rightio. I'm reading it all in trade (mostly the big hardcover ones) and was trying to work out what I needed to get.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Isn't Night of the Monster Men it's own trade?

Yeah.

The softcover trades skip over the Monster Men issues (so Batman goes 1-6 then 9-15, and Detective goes 934-940 then 943-949), so if you get them and the Monster Men trade you're sorted. The hardcovers include the Monster Men issues but only from their own title, so I was wondering what I needed to get in addition to them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The flashback issue in Superheavy is one of my favourite single issues of Batman I think. It fits into the broader Bloom story but it works great by itself.

What are other standout single issues like that? Batman Confidential #49 springs to mind as a great little story of what goes through Batman's head when he's on a case.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Deluxe version of Batman and Son includes all the early Black Glove stuff.

Dunbar posted:

Batman and Robin Vol. 1
Time and the Batman
Batman and Robin Vol. 2
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin Vol. 3

That's how I'd read it in trades (with the stuff before and after unchanged). There are some Final Crisis issues at the end of RIP that you can probably skip too, since they're included in the Final Crisis trade and make a bit more sense there.

Connellingus posted:

While I haven't loved every part of King's run, I feel like his storytelling is good (here and elsewhere) and he delivers on new character insights or emotional beats often enough that I feel like I'm getting a fresh take on the character, rather than a highlight reel of older Batman stories.
Yeah. From what I've seen (I'm behind since I read in trade mostly) King's interpretation of the character has a few more emotional layers than previous versions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Loeb's storytelling reminds me of the Arkham games (although the influence is in the other direction) because they both try to cram as much Bat-universe in as they can to a story regardless of how well it holds together.

Eternal has a similar issue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

So what's the general verdict on Tynion btw? I read a comic of his early on but wasn't impressed, but people seem to like him, I'm willing to give him another chance.
I've only read (the equivalent of) the first few trades of his run on Detective but it's good, solid Bat-family stuff so far.

E: Loeb's stuff is popular, influential and bad. I don't know how you frame a recommendation given that.

purple death ray posted:

I would 1000% suggest someone seek out the Ras al Ghul stuff from the 70s rather than read Hush just because Batman swordfights shirtless in the desert in each one

Sadly Tales of the Demon is a bit annoying to get a hold of.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Legends of the Dark Knight is a great source of deep-cut Batman stories.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

Kind of interesting that this list doesn't mention Snow by the late great Seth Fisher.

Yeah that's a bit of an omission.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Did i make a horrible mistake by buying all of the new 52 Detective comis run? This first tony daniel's issue says yes i did.
Is that the one with One Face?

You are making a mistake if you don't share the highlights (or "highlights") with the rest of us.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arkham Knight's Joker is one of the best takes on the character ever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

If you're talking about the head/psychology stuff I guess but I think Rocksteady gets way way way too close to trying to present Joker as an essential part of/dark half of/necessary to the functioning of Batman which is the worst and laziest way to present Joker ever.
I loved it because it focused on the Joker being funny rather than being a mass murderer, which is contrary to most of his recent portrayals.

I thought the ending essentially said that the Joker is far more obsessed with Batman than vice versa.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

From memory the timing is such that Ivy has control of him for an entire month too.

The funniest bit in Arkham Origins is that the story of the mob being replaced by the freaks is done in the most literal possible sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Harper Row is good. Does she appear in other books besides Snyder's Batman?

She's in both of the Eternals, and has popped up in the current Detective run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I like the first arc in Zero Year but that's because it's Zero Year and not because the Joker's in it.

Death of the Family and Endgame are easily the weakest points in Synder's run. DotF has surprisingly little impact in the long run too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I dunno how people can say that when Superheavy is right there.
Even putting aside all the Bat-Gordon stuff (which I thought was a lot of fun) and the goofy, obvious way Bruce came back (which I wasn't a huge fan of) Batman #44 is one of my favourite Bat-stories ever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Morrison didn't read everything in The Black Casebook before writing his run, and I'm not convinced it's necessary for anyone else to either (but it does provide a lot of additional context).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I am absolutely floored by how bad End Game was. What a lovely comic.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Death of the Family and Endgame are easily the weakest points in Synder's run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

OscarDiggs posted:

So, main takeaways.

A, I'm over thinking it.
B, Read Year One.
C, Grant Morrison is the final boss of comic reading.
D, Comics are for nerds.

Thanks a bunch. I'll report back when I finally get my hands on Year One.

Pretty much.

Year One will feel like a pretty familiar story (especially if you've seen Batman Begins) but there are a few specific scenes that get referenced a lot in Batman stories. It's also a really good comic which is reason enough to read it.

As for D, yeah. You just need to accept that you'll sometimes come across references you don't entirely get, and if the writer is good you'll understand the gist of what happened even if you don't know the specifics and maybe you'll be interested in following up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/hypnotique89/status/961366752683839489
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/961375644633444352

• Locked thread