Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

So are they not doing any new mega evolutions? If not I think that's a huge mistake since it'd do a lot to broaden the meta. Also does anyone know if the Alola forms have higher stats or just the same base stat total but rearranged?

Also I really want this to be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zoness posted:

yeah give it resistances to common attacking types such as poison, grass, and psychic.

Ice definitely needs resistances but those types are already some of the most resisted in the game, it wouldn't be fair to them. IMO ice needs to resist water (they'd be mutually resistant like but and fighting) and while we're at it, remove the fairy type's resistance to bug, fairy has enough resistances as it is and bug types were just starting to get good in gen5 but gamefreak had to ruin it.

Are you Giovanni IRL?

Tired Moritz posted:

ban all legendaries from online play because I don't want to remember what they can do.

they're legendaries, stop making me think about them in practical terms!!

I really hate legendaries as a concept, and getting ones with good IVs for competitions is such a pain.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Stopped when I got to togekiss so all the haters can see it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I also just realized I don't have any gen 3 Pokemon in there, although I think gen 2 and 3 are the only ones that don't have any outright bad designs.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah, surf's a good move (though Scald is slightly preferred over it in online now)

Similarly, Waterfall is the gold standard for physical water moves because most of them have gently caress awful distribution or are only 90% accurate for no reason (aqua tail :argh:). Although ita hosed up even Waterfall is so limited, like Kingler can't even learn it which is just :psyduck:

I picked oshawott as a starter in gen 5 but decided to box it after I evolved seismi toad, and then i tried to teach it waterfall and got really confused when it wasn't compatible.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Team Plasma were probably the best overall but I never understood why they had the whole monarchy thing and such a huge entourage of characters that didn't really do anything.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is what i said about flare

the design of the bad guys has def improved over the years, team rocket was just like black spandex and a whip

like i think plasma's medieval design was the first actually good bad guy design now that i think about it

They brought on a new character designer during development of black and white and that new artist designed every character in BW1 and all the subsequent games except for the BW1 player characters (can't remember the names but started with H). You can tell because everyone has a wider variety of facial expressions and tighter pants than they did before.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Here it is, the unironically best fake pokemon.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Peppit
http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Hoppanero
http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Scovalope

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

More than anything Sage does a really good job of emulating Sugimori's artstyle and it does wonders for the designs.

Was the actual game any good? I never played it but is it all original pokemon with gen 5 mechanics? Are there any new moves and abilities?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

It hasn't come out and is progressing very slowly, though still progressing apparently. Like someone said a while back, we live in the worst possible reality where Pokemon Uranium is the fan pokemon game that actually managed to successfully release during a high period of poke-mania, and we'll be lucky of Sage comes out 3 years from now.

dang

Dexie posted:

I was honestly expecting this for the anniversary. It seems like such an easy, obvious idea, you know?

They should just stop doing remakes and third versions altogether.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Not sure if we've had this discussion already, but what are everyone's least favorite pokemon?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dexie posted:

Stunfisk.

I disagree because it's supposed to be ugly and weird. Personally I take the intent into account when judging designs, although binacle/barbacle is one of the few purposefully ugly designs that crosses the line for me.

Johnny Joestar posted:

they even have good sprites, too

also a bonus of koblin and its two evolutions, koberus and kobalt, which it evolves into if it hits the certain level while either outside or inside respectively

(typings are dark, dark/fire, and dark/steel)

So the fire is outside and the steel is inside?

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Your favorites

:negative:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

You do realize that's a skull vullaby's wearing as a diaper? She literally shits in the skulls of other pokemon.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zoness posted:

My Giratina, Dialga, and Palkia all have Arceus as a single parent.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Houle posted:

I went a little overboard but I'm not too surprised at most of this list. I finally finished breeding and raising my last team until Sun/Moon. I'm hoping that the 20 or so perfect Iv pokemon that I've trained aren't too irrelevant. Hell, I hope I can still use Y as my bank for stat-up drugs, Ruby for breeding, then Sun for topping off IV stats.

http://www.dragonflycave.com/favori...158%2C178%2C206

All solid choices except for moltres.

lezard_valeth posted:

To this I forgot to add
- Super Secret Bases with more "Make your own home made Gym" options.
- Pokemon walk behind you

Just add every single loving feature that was introduced in the past and removed for no raisin and just make the best Pokemon game ever gdi

I seriously don't understand this opinion. If they kept every non core feature in every game and never got rid of any of them the games would be an unwieldy mess and overall quality would suffer. Seriously what are you expecting? It takes a ton of work to implement things like Pokemon that follow you and it'd take ages to animate them all in 3D. One of the only features that would be reasonable to expect that they didn't include was trainer customization in ORAS.
Are you saying that you'd even want Pokemon musicals to be carried over to gen 6?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's mirroring an event that actually happened in hawaii. farmers brought in mongoose to help get rid of the rat population that was booming but the rats were nocturnal and the mongoose isn't, so

it didn't really work

Reading the Alola form descriptions, I'm actually kind of impressed with how they seem to have constructed an ecology around them instead of just saying "it has something to do with magic stones from a meteor, no one knows for sure."

Brick Shipment posted:

I'm the same, except the other way around. Lucario always looked goofy as poo poo to me and I never understood where the cool factor was coming from, but zoroark is good.
I'm glad Zoroark didn't work out though, or like that other guy said, we'd be getting bipedal dogs every single gen.

Yeah I don't get what Lucario's deal is. He looks kind of like Anubis but that doesn't explain the spikes and steel typing. Are those supposed to be the nails used to crucify Jesus?

Zoroark has some flaws, like weird color distribution and a profile that was obviously designed with only certain angles in mind, but it's a really solid concept, unlike Lucario.

Ka0 posted:

Zoroark and Lucario are both in the deviantart furry egg group. It is very difficult for me to justify using them.

I like Zorua a lot and wish Zoroark looked less like one of these sharkwolf things that furries invented.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 2, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

bobjr posted:

So what is your favorite gen 1 pokemon?

Reminds me of this poke rap. Who doesn't remember Nickleback?

https://vimeo.com/174597335

GlitchThief posted:

Possibly dumb question, but is there some Mewtwo-equivalent Pokemon I should be saving my Master Ball for in ORAS?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah and the music thing from last page, I like how giddy and bouncy this is for a final boss theme. Way different than the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb9ee9lWSbg

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Blue and Cynthia are the only champions with teams that are both strong and balanced.

AlphaKretin posted:

Actually he rules because as a kid "Holy poo poo he has my name! :aaaaa:"

He was also the first Jewish champion.

Ostentatious posted:

luvdisc should have a mega evolve

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Some things I remember about B2W2:
-Rival is a total loser

He's not a loser, he's a tool. There's a difference.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No, digimon is usually way way worse than pokemon in design but when they nail a design it's so much better than anything pokemon could hope to make. No pokemon will be as cool as BanchoLillymon or BanchoLeomon.

I'm not really familiar with digimon, can you cite some examples?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Do you want the bad poo poo or the good poo poo?

Why not both?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Also for that poster that wanted some examples of good/bad digimon designs

Thanks for the list!

Are you saying the large looking bishop mon evolves into the smaller king mon? Does that happen often in digimon?

Also I actually kind of like how fangmon still manages to look cartoony despite how hosed up it is.

quote:

They're going for a different look than Pokémon, where they're not as afraid to go too far and make it machine, attach a non-natural looking part to the creature or put clothes on a design to help it out (see Chesskingmon) but that really backfires a lot of the time. Pokemon designs are slowly opening up to that idea as well, with Sawk and Throh and the arm shield Tiki Island Gods. Digimon can be cool, but it's usually in a totally different direction than Pokemon so I've never understood any of the comparisons between perceived bad Pokemon designs and really any digimon.
I like Sawk and Throh but the new Tiki pokemon is easily the fakest looking of the new ones. That and Alola Ninetails and Sandslash since they're basically just pallette swaps.

Dabir posted:

Sukamon

Lol is that Rat Fink?

Also, back to megachat, it still surprises me how good Charizard Y looks considering how good the original still is and how it's in the "stick some extra parts on it" category of mega evos.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 4, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

cancerianmoth posted:

I know a lot people don't like it- but I think Mega-Manectric looks awesome. Reminds me of those old cartoon tropes of a flat character. From the side they are visible, but face on the disappear. haha. Also, it has a giant bolt on its back. Mega-Ampharos is also ridiculous, but I actually don't like how it looks.

I love Mega Manectric, it's a huge improvement over the original. Although I'd say it's a more dramatic change than the "stick some things on it" kind since it takes up so much space and drastically alters the profile. I think it could pass for an actual evolution, and I'd want it to be if it's base ability wasn't so useful to have in doubles.

Mega Ampharos is more of the "glued on" type of mega and those are more hit or miss, but yeah I think Ampharos' design is funny but not good where Manectric's is both funny and good.

I'd say mega Aerodactyl is easily the worst and is just Aerodactyl with some pointy rocks glued on.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I like all pokemon but I kind of like least the ones that just look like people. Bipedal pokemon that are in a humanish shape. I love *my* delphox but delphoxes in general, I do not like.

Wow, racist much?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Hi friends I just finished playing through Alpha Sapphire for the first time! How many loving Pelippers aRE THERE IN THIS GAME

At least eleventy, that's for sure.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

http://www.dorkly.com/post/55115/8-themed-pokemon-teams

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

what's better, the pokerap or the digimon rap

Pokerap

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

McDragon posted:

there was a version recently that was good, done by some dude. the nidorans were both nickelback but I don't remember much else other than it was good

e: pokeraps, not yokai watch, I dunno much about that other than the cat is cool

https://vimeo.com/174597335

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...yes, it means upside down as in "the up side must be pointed down". I'm laughing at face down. Is that rude? To laugh at that.

If that's rude then I don't want to be polite.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zore posted:

Is it weird to anyone else that literal robots, ghosts, rocks etc. up to and including wholly synthetic things made purely out of code count as pokemon but this thing does not?

That's because UB-01 is people.

Zore posted:

Oh wow that is super blatant.

Also kinda creepy body-horror :gonk:

FishBulb posted:

Look at this guy

There is no way this guy isnt evil.

He's mugatu

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Space T Rex posted:

I'd prefer that because it means I can actually catch the drat thing. Pokemon or not, do not show me something I cant stuff in a ball and force to fight for money!!

It'd be really weird and sort of against the whole spirit of the series if you had to fight a creature you couldn't also catch and use yourself. I know Pokemon wasn't the first RPG where you could recruit monsters and have them fight for you, but it may have been the first where all of them could be controlled.*

*I'm probably wrong

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

If we're counting spinoffs, it's not completely out of the question, since in some of the Mystery Dungeon games, the final bosses weren't even Pokemon.

What were they?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

It's not about hate it's about representation. I'm hatless. I've been hatless all my life. I was born hatless. I'll die hatless. And for the first time ever I can finally play as a character that looks like me in a Pokemon game.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Pokemen Megathread 7.0: Hatless Shrugged

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Elfgames posted:

Geodude and roggenrola should switch names

And Golem isn't even a Golem. Heck, he's not even kosher.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Wished they'd demote heatran so I could breed that sucker

Heatran is a legendary with absolutely no bombast other than "lives in volcanoes"

Heatran should have been a pseudolegendary. I wonder if it was going to be at some point but they couldn't design pre-evolutions in time.

Internet Kraken posted:

That will be when Gamefreak buffs the bug type. So never.
Bugs made some gains in gen 5 but then Gamefreak must have decided they were too powerful and needed to be stopped, so they made fairy resist bug.

I do seriously wonder if the reason they made fire resist fairy and fairy resist bug is to avoid giving Mega Charizard X and Mega Gardevoire extra weaknesses since they know those were two of the most popular pokemon.

quote:

EDIT: Heatran is a piece of poo poo and everyone who uses it probably has a Cresselia on their team as well.

Heatran is cool and has a unique typing and useful ability. Cresselia is just a bag of defensive stats that people just shove onto any team though.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Between Liger Zero and the Celestial Bat, I think this gen has my favorite box Legendaries.

I like XY's better and I don't like how moonbat doesn't have legs.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i like the genies

I don't mind the incarnate forms, I don't care if they're all the same. The therians are ugly though, it looks like the heads don't belong on the bodies.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

I can't decide between Liger Zero and Gothic Bat. I need help, tell me which one's better.

Solgaleo has legs. Lunala does not.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ice is a great attacking type but there's not really an incentive to BE ice type since it sucks defensively. The only ones with a useful number of resistances are Walrein and Mamoswine, and only if they have Thick Fat. Oh yeah, and Froslass being part ghost helps too. And while Abomasnow has a ton of weaknesses it can still switch into a few things thanks to grass typing.

I don't know why Gamefreak doesn't think this is a problem and also why do they keep making ice types with such high defensive stats?

Cloyster

Regice

Cryogonal

Avalugg

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

less laughter posted:

Snowslash has 1 immunity (Poison) and 8 resistances (2x to Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Normal and Psychic, and 4x to Ice).

Yeah that's not bad, but I wonder what it's base stats will be. I'm guessing the same total as ground sandslash, but redistributed. Here's the original:

So I'm think it'll be something like

75 HP
100 Attack
110 Defense
30 Special Attack
105 Special Defense
30 Speed