Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I loving LOVE LISTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hooray, the only conversation worse than lists!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

trailer got put out, got a bit more footage than the direct did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsTuHGpLJfM

owns

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hold on, he may be right. I've just conducted a double-blind good taste study and reviewed the data with a panel of experts, and the results were conclusive.

munchlax a poo poo

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Blhue posted:

turn on your monitor

they're poo poo

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

That jellyfish is totally lillie. Look at the hat brim and then the ruff on ub01.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This is probably going to be the best pokemon game they've ever made.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Emalde posted:

it would take a lot more sentences here than i'm willing to write about standard anime face design traits, compiled against the history of named pokemon characters, but he's not wrong

I want to hear this explanation, please post it. Not because I care about the argument, but because I find insider knowledge about obscure minutiae like this very fascinating.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'd like to see more legendaries be tied into ingame events instead of sitting on an island somewhere waiting for you. Put them at the ends of fun sidequests involving them, make them feel like part of the world instead of just another prize to be collected.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Much as I love the big guy, agreed. I have no idea why they designed it as they did.

cute starter > football > football player

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

I want a Mega Electrode that gets Scrappy and 100 extra points in Speed.

Electro Ball would finally become useful.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Samurott is such a disappointing design for so many reasons.

Not an otter
Biped > biped > quadruped (what?)
Uses swords he keeps holstered on his front arms(why?), and also they can magically stretch out because(???)
Looks like he's got some on his back legs too, when and how is he ever going to use those?
Has to stand on 3 legs while he swings a sword, can only ever use 1 of his 2 swords for this reason (why not stand up?)
Has functional hands, but walks on all fours like a bitch
Stupid-looking shell-horn-hat not in fitting with any elements of his previous forms
What the gently caress is that tail, otters are not cetaceans
Gains points for a cool face stache, then loses them immediately for his unkempt neckstache
Doesn't even keep the right color scheme

It looks like it was designed by a bunch of kids from deviantart that couldn't agree on anything.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

His arm swords are called seamitars

That's not even the right kind of sword for a samurai! :argh:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Garbodor has a better, more cohesive, and more immediately understandable design than Samurott. Samurott is designed worse than garbage!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dunban posted:

"overdesigned" is in the same poo poo tier of arguments as "looks like a Digimon"

Hello, no. A character being overdesigned means that there are an abundance of disparate and mostly unrelated ideas present in their design that don't add anything constructive to the main concept beyond cheap flash. In other words, "trying to do too way many things at once and failing at all of them." Stupid internet people have completely devalued the term by using it as a catch-all term to represent a myriad of arguments such as "Designed in a way that I don't like," which is not an argument, or "Has too many moving parts," which is an entirely different can of beans.

Additionally, I would argue that while the Owlcher has some elements that may muddle the main idea a bit, (the glasses markings, drawstring hoodie, and smart bowtie make it look more like a student than an archer) it works together well enough as a whole that it can be considered a cohesive design. It is not overdesigned. If you look closely, you can see how some of its elements mesh in more subtle ways. A neat one is that due to using its drawstrings as a bowstring, as it aims the hood scrunches closed into a sort of ersatz aiming sight.

Overdesigning is a legitimate, real thing that you need to be aware of as a character designer, or else your character will come out looking like loving Luso.

Thank you for your time.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Color choice is also a big part of design unity. Both Owlcher and Armaldo have like 5 colors, tops, and the colors are equally distributed throughout the design's elements in a tasteful manner. Contrast this with poster boy Luso, who is a walking, jangly rainbow with no harmony and numerous one-off colors.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Incorrect. Wimpod is a Trilobite.

Well, probably more of a horseshoe crab, but same thing different era.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 19, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's currently thought that the anomalocaris' closest living relative is the velvet worm, which isn't really represented in pokemon yet.

Velvet worms are cool as hell, it would make a great pokemon. I could see it being a bug/dark type or something that got a lot of snaring and entry hazard moves like sticky web and such.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 19, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Holy poo poo, it's a Zhuge Liangutan. Instruct sounds like it could be a really incredible gimmick.

This gen is going to own so hard

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

can't wait to team up my best friend shedinja with my new friend RugbyMonkey so Monkey gets wonder guard

I can't believe how rad all of these new abilities and moves are. Passimian just existing on the field will make your opponent think twice about who to kill, and could even lead to some bullshit shenanigans on switch ins.

It's blowing my mind that I can't think of a single pokemon shown so far that I would describe as useless. It seems like every single one has had some serious forethought into designing not only their looks and theme, but their utility and viability as well. They all have some kind of niche that they fill, and that's something that I don't know I could say for any other generation. Are we witnessing the death of route-fillers?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

uh :catstare:

The nickname possibilities for Oranguru are endless. You could go with the comic book monkey baddies (Gorilla Grodd, etc), you could go with Planet of the Apes or you could go with Far East Philosopher

Its fan and pose is Zhuge Liang as all hell. He is a Zhuge Liangutan.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

less laughter posted:

The rugby monkey is such a good design like dang, it's better than I ever even remotely expected

I'm glad it's a Lemur. We needed a Lemur.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

watch it work like sleep talk

Official site says "Instruct is a move that only Oranguru can learn. It can make the selected target use its most recent move again immediately." So, not like sleep talk.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

That just seems absolutely incredibly broken doesn't it? Two quakes in one turn? Two dazzling gleams? Two surfs? Yikes

And Telepathy means it won't have to worry about collateral damage! Finally, a use for Telepathy!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

less laughter posted:

Lurantis, sadly.

Maybe its HA will save it.

I dunno. A sunlight-based ability like Leaf Guard makes sense, seeing as it's never going to see use on anything but a sun team cause of Solar Blade. Depending on its stats, it might be better suited to being shielded from statuses rather than going fast with Chlorophyll or something.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I am weirded out by how many people apparently want to gently caress Lurantis.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Slate Action posted:

"No traditional gyms/create your own gym" sounds super fake, Game Freak hasn't gotten where they are by changing a single thing about the core gameplay progression since 1996.

there aren't gyms, though

they've been replaced by "island trials" with totem pokemon bosses at the end.

this is already confirmed

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Doubles are the best format because it opens up so much more interactions between moves, pokemon, and abilities, and gives pokemon that would otherwise be trash a chance to shine.

Singles are for boring losers.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Eleeleth posted:

Am I allowed to like the idea of doubles, but not the implementation?

yes

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Doubles is a stupid gimmick and your opinions have been consistently poo poo.

You like the genies, you're not allowed to criticize other people's opinions.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I wonder how many nerds shat themselves laughing over naming their Orangurus 'Harambe'

Hopefully none because it's an orangutan and not a gorilla.

I'm sure there'll be lots, though.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Look at these cool motherfuckers that are definitely not ugly last-minute pallete swap filler legendaries. "Only gained traction because of great stats and movepools," you say? Get outta town. That one dude whose hair is a hammer is so fly, look at that sexy goiter.

Spiked anal beads are a very Cool and Good thing to have coming out of your rear end.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

So how bout those new pokemon folks?

They're really good, all of them. I hope Vikavolt has good stats, because a bug railgun is too cool to pass up.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Countblanc posted:

*rubs bridge of nose, clearly frustrated*

For the last time, the Fighting-type Eevee evolution will be named Takemeon. This isn't hard, people.

Released in the same gen as its Ghost-type counterpart, Illbegone.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Emong posted:

Use them to make a 6iv ditto and make breeding trivial?

Oh poo poo, I hadn't even thought of that. That's probably the best use of your free golden cap right there.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Poison is worse than toxic.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

C'mon, give him a break. Dude's only got a base speed of 25, he's doing the best he can.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Flamenco bird is maybe one of my favorite things to come out of this gen so far. It's so classy.

All of the Oricorios are great, but Baile is by far the most stylish.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Senerio posted:

I like the Pom Pom bird the most of the four.

Cheerbird is a close second if only for sheer enthusiasm. It's got the best cry of the bunch for sure, it's cheering from the moment it gets out of the ball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Bird in name only, in this case literally as it's based a fairly famous sword technique most commonly called the "Turning Swallow Cut," a two-stroke vertical cut inspired by the motion of a swallow's tail mid-flight. The only reason it's a flying-type move is because the technique itself is named after a bird, and this is also why so many non-bird pokemon can learn it.

Fun Fact: The swordsman who came up with this technique was the same dude Miyamoto Musashi beat to death with an oar.