Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I started Omega Ruby last night. I'm still very early in (no badge yet) but I'm already prepared to declare the DexNav an extremely revolutionary and awesome addition to the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I might have to have two teams.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I wish that if people just had to hack poo poo into their game they could at least refrain from polluting wondertrade with their poo poo.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I take back all the things I said about gen 2 since it has Politoed. Thank god someone realized Poliwrath was a mistake

How dare you have that opinion about Pokemon

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

I know this is old but
http://kotaku.com/it-took-one-fan-nearly-three-years-to-obtain-a-perfect-1774264001

28,000 soft resets for Moltres

Twenty. Eight. Thousand.

I wonder what his favorite shinies are.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Why is it called "nuzlocke?"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm curious what people will be doing with their collections when Sun/Moon comes out. Will you be transferring them in right away for use or to avoid wasting pokeballs on redundant captures? Or will you leave them in the bank to worry about after completing the main game?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Zoness posted:

how the gently caress do you waste a pokeball

are you implying that it is somehow possible to run out of money for ultra balls in a pokemon game

You would not believe the frequency with which I go to the pokemon center to avoid using medicine.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Leppa Berries tho

I plant them aggressively.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Calaveron posted:

And what's the justification for putting the literal creator of the universe, the first and the last, in a little metal sphere to lug around with your sombrero plant duck and fire monkey

If I could do it, I would. And if anyone would seek justification I'd just beat them in a Pokemon battle with my literal God.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I bet even Ash's Pikachu would have a hard time with that one.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Seriously, it's a super rare, super strong Pokemon. It's "Gotta Catch 'Em All" not "Gotta Catch The lovely Ones."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So just to be clear, the top VGC players are definitely hacking their Pokemon, right? That's what it means when one of them drops something like "you can't hack skill"?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It sounds like VGC uses a restrictive format that all-but requires cheating to compete in. Given that Smogon has competitive tiers and Showdown lets you just enter the values you want anyway, it sounds to my noob ears like that is the more fun way to play.

Maybe I'll give it a look after I beat Sun.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

uh no not really

Well I guess you could put in all the time to be competitive with a bunch of other people who cheat.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

the only difference between a legit pokemon that was bred or resetted for a billion times to get and a hacked but still vgc legal pokemon is how much time it took to get

I'm merely the student here, so forgive me for asking, but if I went to a VGC event and just before facing off I told a judge, "By the way, all my Pokemon are generated from outside the game; who has time for this poo poo" what would be the event-legal response?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Zoness posted:

there is a software-based hackmon checker which is basically the means by which your pokemon are deemed legal or not

That's pretty cool. Is it just checking for impossible Pokemon, or does it actually have a way to tell if a Pokemon has been hacked in?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That link is blocked for me, but I was doing my own reading and found this, which I presume is the same incident.

It sounds like the players get a lot of deniability due to the undetectability of the legitimacy of a Pokemon's parents. And yeah, I get it. Pokemon trading is a thing, a BIG part of the game, so of course you're not gonna go into a tournament with like, a family tree for each of your Pokemon.

It still sounds, to my uneducated brain, like they do regard hacking in Pokemon as cheating though. I mean apparently it was a big deal when it turned out one of these guys even might have been in association with someone who hacked in the process of breeding out one of his Pokemon.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Eh, it doesn't affect me either way, especially since I don't play competitive in any sense. It's just sort of interesting to see the song-and-dance that goes around it. The impression I get is that everyone takes shortcuts (at least when the season demands the use of Legendaries), but enough people (including show-runners? unclear) regard it as cheating that no one talks about it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If I received a hacked shiny in wonder trade, I'd send that fucker off into the wild to either die an abomination or pass on its genes as a missing link between Charmander and weird yellow-tinted Charmander.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I love all Pokemon, but I love Alola Ratatta slightly less than the others.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Possibly dumb question, but is there some Mewtwo-equivalent Pokemon I should be saving my Master Ball for in ORAS?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Un-loving-believable

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Say what you will about Team Skull, I bet they only sell non-generated Pokemon.

Well, unless they have any Type: Null.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I skipped so many generations. It sounds like I've been missing out. I was pretty keen on Team "Baby Boomers That Cause Global Warming Then Apologetically Make A 10 Year Old Fix It".

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

i hope there are 40 ultra beasts

I, for one, welcome the introduction of a creature that even the ultra-cooperative world of Pokemon and Man cannot tolerate to exist.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I can't believe hte casual pokemon bigotry i'm seeing here

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm proud that Ash has given up his dream of being a pro trainer and is now fleeing the country to get a degree for cheap abroad and go back to Kanto to have a real 9-5 job.

And people say he hasn't grown up

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It has come to my attention that there are some really hosed up people that don't take their starter Pokemon all the way through from the beginning of the game to the end of the Elite Four.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I honestly don't know how to assess a Pokemon's usefulness aside from the types of moves it has and which types I need filled.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

we don't have confirmation that they are version exclusive, please stop this meme

If it's not casual repetition of rumor and misinformation, it's not Pokémon.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

In Sun, Team Skull is the enemy and there are Mega Evolutions. In Moon, Aether Corp is the enemy and you eat poo poo.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I read it in a corocoro leak.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

sharrrk posted:

*thinking about primeape* thats a good pokemon

same, but when thinking about all pokemon

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm digging the style in the anime trailer. It kinds of reminds me of one of the Digimon movies.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Like, if you put a voltorb and electrode side by side, I can tell they are different Pokemon, but hell if I could tell you which is which.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It's like how in the anime someone will be like "Oh no, Greninja is weak to Venusaur's attacks because water type Pokemon are weak to grass moves!" but then it doesn't even end up mattering like, a little bit. Mechanically, the games represent strict outcomes based on type advantage, but in "reality" there would be variations. In this case, someone finally figured out that Clefairy was wrecking Salamence's poo poo as a result of type advantage and reclassified accordingly.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

mabels big day posted:

the amount of people saying that the xy anime is good was very distressing, so i'm glad they're making something completely different for sun and moon.

I saw some youtube video where the dude was flipping out because Greninja wasn't in the corocoro leak. I knew XY was considered a bit of a triumph as far as Pokemon cartoons go, but I had no idea just how obsessed these people get. This is pretty much the funniest thing since Ash lost against Alain.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Kinda dumb question, but does Pokemon Sun have a particular Pokemon that I should be saving my Master Ball for? Maybe Solgaleo or is there something harder or more inconvenient to catch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Alright, sounds like Necrozma is where it's at. Much thanks!