Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bleck posted:

Maybe the problem is that there's basically no way to actually make an "RPG", which in this case I am taking to mean "press the A button until your numbers are high enough", that is actually, like, you know, good?

Like, put succinctly, the reason Pokemon has had so much trouble improving on its "RPG" mechanics is because RPGs are pretty crappy. Like, literally nobody has fond memories of Pokemon because of the wonderful time that they spent murdering one million Digletts so that their starter could be strong enough to gently caress up Blue. Of all the valuable things that Pokemon brings to the table, its boring bullshit numbertron nonsense is not one of them.

I don't know, man - all I know is that the only reason experience exists is to gate me from experiencing the actual fun parts of the game (catching new pokemon, trainer battles, exploring new areas, etc.). Just make evolution and move learning tied to a flat number of battles won instead of experience points, keep stats at a basic flat number based on species, keep Let's Go's wild pokemon mechanics where you just throw poo poo at them after you find them (or maybe something more interesting), and I'm set.

Maybe you just don't like Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those are all pretty reasonable suggestions. No one likes Pokémon for that stuff.:rolleyes:

I mean his idea to replace Exp a number you get after battles is to replace it with a slightly differently presented number you get after a battle. If that's your idea for reasonable I'm not exactly sure you should be worrying about mechanics so much

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm more confused about the simplification to be honest because as a game that you play through the story on with just the OG 150 it's not like pokemon is not accessible as all hell. I mean it is a game for actual children already, so I question what the crossover between Go fans casual enough to not want to play an actual pokemon game but into video games enough to have bought a switch is. I mean the game is gonna sell well because it's the only pokemon game on the switch so even people like me who would have preferred this announcement to just have been Gen 8 will be getting it, I'm just curious as to how big that target audience actually is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

less laughter posted:

Meanwhile its type combo twin is stuck in PU, poor thing.

A good poke

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I am Reverend posted:

The only bad mega evolution is heracross for taking it in a direction that doesn't want you to click MEGAHORN

Mega Sharpedo is bad and you and I both know it Reverend.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Because Shadow Tag kind of completely destroys like the one interesting thing about pokemon gameplay and makes matches drag on for eternity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rudoku posted:

E: What about Mega Gengar?

Dies in 1 hit so the stall doesn't actually exist.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dizz posted:

What ever happened to the pokemon Bill fused with?

It was never real. He was just embarrassed that you caught him in his fursuit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hammerite posted:

Sylveon is a species. Suggesting that it might "be trans" is like saying that owls might be trans. It is a category error; individuals may be cis or trans, not whole species.

Who let this thousand year old crank on the internet and also Sylveon is trans.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Every fire starter is bad except Incineroar. Incineroar is so good he invalidates all other fire starters.

It's hosed up but it's how it is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

WOw you're right pokemon sucks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/moa151/status/1025361848428720129

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a game where the new "pokemon" were literally just real animals? (I'm well aware there's a few that are nearly 1:1 with their real world counterparts, but still...)

No.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Avalerion posted:

I know it sucked in early gens but flareon did learn flare blitz for a while now. :confused:

It still sucks and one move doesn't fix it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah that whole "Trying to make it more accessible to children" thing is kind of marketing BS cause Kids are still buying and playing pokemon. they're still really simple single player RPGs that you can face roll through. It's why they have hours of tutorials.

Pokemon Go and now Let's Go are mostly just nostalgia grabs for Gen 1 Only adults to go "Oh yeah I remember Koffee. Jim from Team Rocket used it."

Speaking of Go did they put in gen 3 pokemon yet?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

A bunch of gen 1 Pokemon (and Hitmontop) had their names re-trademarked recently, which happened for previous Megas, so it's basically all but confirmed at this point.

We're getting mega Jynx! MEGA GYARU IS COMING, PREPARE!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega Weezing is gonna be the worst loving wall and I can't wait to dread seeing it in ladders cause stall is a sin.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

dungeon cousin posted:

Why would they introduce new Megas in a game with no abilities?

Because pokemon's marketting gets real dumb when it's Go related.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pokemone is a game for actual babies and stripping out the meager systems it has leaves a very bare bones and uninteresting system.

Like you can't get more casual than "Every child's first RPG".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's what I'm thinking, too.

By the time Let's Go comes out, Niantic will have given more love this year to Gens 2-4 than GameFreak had done in the last generation.

Taking 3 years to put them in game isn't really showing more love than "Treating them like every other pokemon." but go off.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Siets posted:

The scent of mold lingers in the cold basement air, as the goon pokemon fanatic furiously mashes B through the random battle text on his handheld's screen. The Rattata goes down only for yet another to appear in the desperate search for one of those luscious 15% Abra spawns. At least the text speed was set to Fast. Licking the cheeto dust from his fingers, he mutters incoherently to himself "I'm gonna be the very best..." before clicking the thumbs down on yet another Let's Go YouTube video.

I dunno what's worse, this post or your other one saying Kanto is good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Why would you ever want to box this bad boy?

Can't evolve into the actually good pokemon Raichu.

Boxed and released instantly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Don't be obtuse, the marketing has literally said it's aimed at people who were introduced to Pokemon via Go, especially young children.

I mean it has been but that doesn't stop the fact that Pokemon is a video game for babies and is made with them in mind so Marketting this one just as "The One for Newbies" doesn't make sense cause every pokemon game is easy as heck and has 4 hours of tutorials to make sure kids don't get lost.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

THe blob nut pokemon is straight up the closest the franchise has gotten to making Digimon but like...the good baby tier digimon so it's cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Game Freak buy the rights to Terriermon and make her a pokemon Thanks, your Girl, Kate.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oyster posted:

The word on the street about Nutboi is that he's a stand-in for Kecleon. Everyone in PoGo has been seeing Nutboi for a half an hour after each region's community day, except a handful of people who are seeing Kecleon instead. All of them are turning into Ditto on capture.

Nutboi is probably supposed to be transparent, the nut being the boundary for eye movement, and the blob just a reference for the body. Probably an invisible Kecleon, using the ditto transformation code when captured to become Kecleon proper.The tail being Kecleon's stripe.

Basically someone merged the dev branch with the production branch for community day.

https://twitter.com/Chrales/status/1043042246415867904

This has already been covered. It's listed under a whole different number from Kecleon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah this ois probably a model of a gen 8 pokemon they'll debut in Let's Go and since Let's Go and Go are supposed to swap pokemon back and forth they have to have it in go and just hosed up and put it out early.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

The new Pokemon is like the very definition of :effort:

Yeah it was a smart move of them to debut it in a game with only gen1 designs so it at least looks good in comparison.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

There's a lot of things that I really dislike about ORAS as a remake (and a game on its own), but giving Mega forms to a ridiculous bunch of mons while completely screwing up Flygon with absolutely nothing to show... it's criminal, you guys. It's a travesty!

Flygon.....sucks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Still the best 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Those are all basic pokemon you fuckin fake gamers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dienes posted:

I just played my first 3 Pokemon matches at the Battle Spot for the Spooky Cup.

It was a humbling experience.

You thought this was a motherfucking game?

This is war.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Like first of all. Nobody in the history of pokemon has ever told you that using evolution items too early could be bad. That's just a forever secret that will keep ruining movesets of mons for new players till the end of eternity.

I'm 99% sure this was a plot point in the pokemon anime with Ash v Surge. Ash won his (re?)match by using moves Pikachu had learned that Raichu didn't because he evolved very early.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jithendra posted:

Yo goons, I got a spare Zeraora code I was holding for someone who never ended up claiming it. It expires tomorrow (the 24th) so someone take it before it's gone!

A892-KQQ4-3DGT-R9DD

Nabbed.

What's a good nature for my new cat goblin.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No I don't think any change to type balance based entirely on the head Canon you made up on what the true essence of a type should be would be a great idea.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Anyone that votes professor sycamore gets the guillotine. Man is a collaborator like all of france.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Decidueye is cuter than bird haro.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oh boy yeah lets do another game focusing on the most boring pokemon cast made instead of just something cool and new. This is a good idea.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rudoku posted:

ZenMaster's onboard, let's do this! Pokemon Goldy Smiles and Silvery Tears!

Now with only the first 75 pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's about time for something to come out so i'm not surprised

Yeah I mean the official YT channel is putting out 1/Day videos of "Hey come visit _____" of the regions in release order. i wouldn't be shocked if Day 8 is "NOw come visit....NEW REGION"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Spring Heeled Jackrabbit is gonna be very cool final evo.