Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Guys! You guys! Hey guys?!? Did you loving SEE? YES MAN is in the new pokemon game and he's your pokedex! Beautiful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As someone who bought Sun but barely played it, should i wait for Ultra? Is there a reason to play both?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It probably won't interest you. What did you not like about sun? I thought they were a decent step forward from ORAS except for the lack of pss/lovely online features.

It's not that I didn't like Sun, it's that I didn't finish ORAS before buying Sun. So now I'm going through ORAS and am curious if there's a benefit to playing both Sun's.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mandatory lesbian posted:

we actually know a lot about them, cuz they're just third versions instead of complete new games

What was the second version?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jesus Pokémon are confusing. I only found out a year ago you can make them gently caress. I'm not an old school Pokémon person. I was graduating high school when red/blue came out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a reason to get gold/silver over crystal? Crystal is the "combined mega" version right?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just got a mega stone for my Sceptile and now he looks totally bad rear end. I want to breed him with my Delphox from Y.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I bought Pokémon Moon Ultra the other day. I’ve had regular Sun for a while but barely played it. Am I missing content by skipping and going right to Ultra?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheetah7071 posted:

No it's an enhanced remake not a sequel

Personally I think it's slightly worse but I think I'm in the minority on that

I have and can play both if there’s a reason to. Why do you feel the way you do? Express yourself to me. Open up. Share.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WTF is Looker?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

McDragon posted:

It's neat going from Moon to Ultra and seeing what is different, but I'd suggest just starting with Ultra. Really feels like mechanics wise it was what they were really trying to do.

Also giant(ish) pokemon you can get

Talk to me about bigass Pokémon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

omnibobb posted:

Yep. Started yesterday. Gonna get codes today.

Where is this happening? is this a gamestop thing? I want some new poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

McDragon posted:

Basically the boss fights in this are against Totem Pokemon, who are Big. And then you can collect stickers and at certain amounts you get a Big Pokemon. Nothing else special about them I don't think, they're just absolute units

When you're doing Pokémon battles with bigass Pokémon, can you only see their toes on the screen? If not, wasted opportunity.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Looks like I'm stopping by Gamestop this evening and begging for codes.

Edit: I have another Poke question: can I import my Pikachu with his swag jacket from Alpha Sapphire into the Poke Bank and then into Ultra Moon?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 18, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm not feeling Pokémon Lets Go Eveepikachu. I want a real gen 8 game on switch. Then, I will buy a switch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

that ivy guy posted:

it's coming 2019, so there's barely any time to wait. Might as well get one now and play the filler Pokémon too

Is it confirmed that gen 8 is coming to switch and not 3DS? is 3DS dead for Pokerman?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I stopped by GameStop and got two codes for that shiny pigglepoodle or whatever. One day I’ll play my copy of Ultra Moon, get to level 40, and be able to play him. That is my story of the day.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Took me 30 minutes of False Swiping, but finally caught the Kyogre in an Ultra Ball! I’m pumped!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m a couple of hours into Ultra Moon now. The graphics in this game seem a lot prettier than XY/ORAS.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

When does the game get chuggy? Does playing on a new 3DS help? I’m only 3 hours or so in but so far the game runs pretty smooth.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If I had any complaints about the USUM so far, coming straight from ORAS is no nav dex, and no 3D in the Pokédex.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The DexNav is the best ingame peripheral this franchise has ever come up with. I hope there's something like in in Gen 8.

I do like that the Pokedex is an actual Pokémon with a personality and like the way it displays information overall. But yea, a dex nav would be awesome.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I logged into the Poke bank yesterday and got the three Sun/Moon starters fully evolved as a gift. I hadn’t seen that mentioned on this thread but it’s a thing that happened.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Playing Ultra Moon and just ran into Team Skull for the first time. These are the funniest/goofiest motherfuckers I’ve ever seen.

Hau: “all you do is steal poo poo and get in the way.”

Team Skull A: “you know it!”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vinylshadow posted:

There can be only one Steel-type Ditto evolution

Looks like the top of a condom with teeth. I like it!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is a "living dex?" I see that term a lot. Does it mean all the Pokémon in a given game/generation? Or all the god drat Pokémon that exists across all generations?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ah, and it's "living" because every new game/gen allows you to update it? Does that include things like multiple colors/variations of mons? Like Alolan rattatatdatass and notjapan rattattatdatass. I hope that makes sense what i'm asking.

Edit for more: And also that means say, having a raichu, Pikachu, baby-Pikachu at the same time right?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Another question..I've finished Y and Alpha Sapphire this year. I had started Sun but then just bought Ultra Moon and i'm playing that instead. Aside from version specific legs, am I missing anything by not playing the Non ultra version of gen 7?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Acquiring a living dex seems like enough insanity that getting shinies should just be a cool bonus. How do people pursue shiny-dexs without quitting their jobs or not playing other games? Or is that just what they do?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Let’s Go isn’t going to become “the mainline” is it? I’m hoping switch gen 8 is a proper style Pokémon game that supports the bank.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zuzie posted:

I just hope Pokémon Bank becomes accessible on the Switch. I believe your account is tied to your Nintendo ID.

I was mentioning this earlier, but it absolutely should be. Otherwise, wtf am I paying for it and colleting 'mons if I can't migrate them from this device?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zedd posted:

Isn't that how it works with every generation ATM?

Not really? So far you can't go back go Gen 1 on the VC, but you can move Pokermans around between XY/ORAS/USUM. That said, I haven't tried to move an alolan pokermate back, but the bank lets you swap them around without issue. Has anyone actually tried moving the alola breeds back to XY/ORAS?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dehry posted:

Once a Pokemon is dropped into (Ultra) Sun/Moon the border around it changes and can no longer be sent to XYORAS games.

Ah, ok. I hadn't tried it but that sucks. Is there a limit on how many Pokemons you can store in each game? Can I keep dedicating the newer games to being my Pokémon storage depot if I'm an old man whose afraid to leave his 'mons "in the cloud?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mycelia posted:

Eventually yes, but it's a pretty high limit -- 32 boxes x 30 Pokemon per box, so 960 all up. Enough for a living dex plus a little more.

How are most people storing their living dex's? Just dumping their collection into whatever the newest game is? Or do some of you use the bank to actually store things outside of transfers?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pokémon should have an "export to CSV file" option so I can email myself the CSV, then import into SQL and use SQL commands to query and organize my pretties.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nth Doctor posted:

I have a group of boxes in Bank named "Living Dex" where I went to the trouble of naming each box "1-30", "31-60", ...
And each Pokemon is sorted into the boxes and ordered by national dex number. It took loving forever the first time but maintaining it is not too difficult now, since it's append-only.

Since I recently put CFW on my 3ds I'm considering using the fact I can edit saves back even to Gen III to give each game I own a semi-legal living dex based off of the current one I have in Bank.

I'm really curious how long this took you to setup initially. This sounds exhausting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They should just let you write sql in the game to do this, but accidentally leave in SQL injection backdoor so you can trick the game to select * from * into your box

I don't want to watch my DS catch fire.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was just watching some YouTube videos of Lets Go Pikavee, and it looks like the classic turn based battlers are still there. I thought it had the same quick-time style mini game of fighting that Pokémon Go had? Is this more a "classic" Pokémon game than I thought?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As a Pokemon player, I've only beaten Y and Alpha Sapphire and am about 20 hours into Ultra Moon. However i'm not a competitive player or play multiplayer and haven't really done any farming in either game; just straight through the storyline. My point is despite 100 hours across 3 games, i'm a newb. Should I be paying close attention to movesets as I level up my dudes, or is anything ok because I can breed/raise specific stuff later as I learn what's what? Like, is there any way to gently caress myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

notthegoatseguy posted:

Admittedly I've gotten bored of Gen 7 at several points, but there's some very minor story variations between SM/USUM. I think Lilly's mother, whose name I can't even remember, isn't obsessed with the Ultra Beasts in USUM, whereas she is in SM.

Lilly also abruptly disappears in SM after the core game is finished.

Oh, and the Professor is your final battle in the core game of SM, but in USUM Hau is.

That's fantastic, I like Hau! He doesn't give a poo poo that he's constantly a loser. Does he power up like Naruto at some point, or just keep being kinda happy go lucky?