Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

What will everyones reactions be when Sun/Moon comes out and is revealed to be completely terrible?

Disappointment I guess, in this entirely hypothetical situation which probably won't occur because there's never been a bad pokemon game (yes, not even Diamond and Pearl).

What's the point of the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

original rse are by far the worst teams in the history of the franchise

team magma climb to the top of a volcano so they can throw some jet fuel in it and set off an eruption while they're still there at one point in the story

So does team aqua tbf.

Calaveron posted:

I admit I haven't played anything past rby hgss and xy so I don't know about the other guys but is there a main villain/team as incompetent and idiotic as Lysandre and Team Flare?

Team Galactic's grunts are potentially more incompetent and their leaders wants to remake reality or something. But unlike Team Flare they're great and I love them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

did they? I forgot about how sapphire handled it since I had ruby and my cousin had sapphire

like for real tho, if it weren't for the protagonist of rse both teams would be straight up dead several times over because they keep pulling the stupidest poo poo. the only reason they didn't burn to death in a volcanic eruption that they themselves cause is because of you

Ruby and Sapphire do their villain teams weirdly. Because the whole volcano thing seems perfect for Magma, and the underwater base for Aqua but in ruby Aqua does both and in sapphire Magma does both. And I don't think they ever quite explain why.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neo-Plasma might be my favourite team if only because they have a flying pirate ship with a giant ice cannon that's powered by a legendary pokemon.

And also Colress' theme is really good and I like it a lot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sharrrk posted:

team flare sucks but mable is my girlfriend

Those people had names???

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Galactic is the only team I remember barely anything about so they're probably the worst, which would make sense given they are in the worst gen.

VVV Yes, everyone in Team Flare is a rich idiot that got roped in by Lysandre. By paying 5 mil pokebucks you get a slick suit and the privilege of living in Lysdanre's Gulch once he builds it.

I'm not sure how many of them knew he was gonna kill 99% of the world in the process.

Team Galactic is basically a cult that's masquerading as a company that will totally change the world. It's a bunch of stupid people thinking they're doing something important but actually just blindly listening to the orders of someone who's obviously manipulating them. It's great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I used my pal Dux for the first 4 gyms in X before I ended up benching him and he did very good for those 4 gyms. And he was cool and I loved him, so I think Farfetch'd is a good powerful friend.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GlitchThief posted:

Why is it called "nuzlocke?"

I think that was the name of the guy who came up with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Whiscash is a fish and is my friend.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

Whiscash gets major props for making the Master Ball look like garbage in it's sole anime appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5lEgVA_Kb0

He is extremely powerful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

carnivine is so bad no one even remembers it exists

I remember it because James had one in the anime.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

All the music from the old gens is held back by the crummy sound quality.

Maybe in 15 years they'll remake B2/W2 and I can hear Colress' ridiculous theme in high quality.

VVV Cynthia is a boring tryhard. Alder is the best champ. He uses three bug types!

I don't like his battle theme much and beating him is basically just cleaning up, because the climax of the game is against Ghetsis. A cool character but as a champion he doesn't leave much of an impression.

Sweet team though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hugh's theme owns so he's cool in my book. And him being really mad about his sister's cat getting stolen 2 years ago is also good, he's just not that great as an actual rival imo. He doesn't really have any beef with you and he doesn't actually want to compete with you either since your goals don't conflict or anything. It's not like Barry where you're both aiming to be champ, he just really wants to beat up a criminal organisation and is happy you're helping him out with that.

Raserys posted:

corless should have been a new leader of classic flavor team plasma and helped you fight neo plasma

Colress as a crazy mad scientist who disagrees with Team Plasma's doctrine but helps them anyway because Ghetsis is funding his science, and then just leaves to keep doing what he's doing without them once they're beat is actually a really great characterisation and does not need to be changed.

Colress might be my favourite Evil Team Leader, even if he's only like co-leader. Also, he has my favourite theme.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

bobjr posted:

The worst rival is the one is R/S because they just sort of did nothing and disappear halfway through the game.

They suck. In the originals they never even fully evolve their starter. What losers!

HoneyBoy posted:

Aren't Cheren and Bianca like your next door neighbors

Plus Cheren becomes a gym leader and Bianca becomes a lab assistant or whatever, they only battle you because that's the Pokemon thing

While on their adventure Cheren and Bianca grow as people and learn valuable life lessons that inspire them to follow different career paths in the pokemon world rather than just beating all the gyms, and it's cool and good.

Black and White had 3 rivals and all of them were great. What a good game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Colress is a neat character, because he's just pure :science: , and not only does he bear the player character no ill will, he's pretty friendly. When I was playing for the first time and went to confront him in the airship, I was feeling more, "oh boy it's time to battle with my science buddy!" than "Imma beat that smug evildoer". He's, I guess you might say, an anti-villain.

to be honest B2/W2 has a hella dumb plot, but the game progression, Pokemon availability (hello, friend Growlithe!), and the new areas make up for it. I like that weird little mountain town a lot in particular. Plus the postgame being largely the beginning areas of B/W is kinda inspired.

Colress rules because he's introduced talking about how dumb Plasma's philosophy is, and when the reveal happens you expect all that to have just been a lie. But nah, everything he's said to you has been completely sincere and the only reason he's even working for them is because goddamn does he love science.

I unironically love B2/W2's dumb plot. It has a flying pirate ship with an ice cannon that is powered by the husk of an ancient dragon. It's impossible for me to hate it. :allears:

Edit: Also, Iris is a good champion because she has a team of dinosaurs and her battle pose is growling at you like a dragon while she is wearing a pretty dress. Iris is one of the better champions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hardcordion posted:

I think we can all agree that the blonde kid from diamond/pearl is the worst rival.

Please don't troll in the pokemon thread.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Type: Null is a weird name. Dragon was very cute though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ruggington posted:

totem gumshoos could definitely beat down totem faticate

:yeah:

Ruggington posted:

this lady is cool and also 100% a villain

Cool teams this gen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mabels big day posted:

lol i wouldn't expect something even remotely clever from Pokemon so no, team Aether are not secretly the bad guys. team skull is literally talking about stealing and selling Pokemon, theyre not gonna magically be the good guy team.

They're both gonna be bad. But i'll like Skull better because Guzma's my boy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's pretty cool. Definitely leaning towards Moon, especially if Misdreavus is moon exclusive over Drifblim like the Japanese trailer suggested. I've been wanting to use Mismagius for a while. Also, playing moon would mean I would not have to face my friend Gumshoos and just beat up a rat instead, which is the better option.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Pokemon is dreadful when it tries to do serious villain plots so I wouldn't get your hopes up either way. Just enjoy Guzma while he remains a goofy gangster.

Really, everything that's been revealed plot wise reminds me more of B2/W2 where there's a flying pirate ship powered by a captive legendary pokemon that lays waste to several towns with it's giant ice cannon, a crazy pokemon mad scientist who isn't that bad of a dude when you get right down to it and is only helping the villains because goddamn does he loving love science, the admins of plasma are just ninjas, and after the main villain's defeat his brain breaks and he is taken away by his ninja sons for his own sake. And I loved all that stuff, so i'm pretty hyped!!

Pokemon Sun and Moon needs a full animated trailer that doesn't accurately represent the game like Black and White 2 got.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

I've played enough Megaten to know where this is all going...

Really? Couldn't tell in amongst all the stupid bullshit like 156 new designs (An overabundance of designs nessesitating dipping into "Shoe" levels of non effort and taking the piss and yes and I'm talking about that stupid ice cream cone and the bin bag), scaling EXP (I know it's always been a thing but BW2 took it to an extreme that was just a frustration to play), a villain team that, whilst trying to present a nuanced argument about humans and pokemon, was blatantly evil except for N who ranges from the genuinely stupid to a complete creep and Best Wishes the less of which said the better.

The villain team wasn't meant to be nuanced. They were just evil and liars, before the 1st gym you had grunts being jerks to random pokemon and all that.

Also, Trubbish is a good design. I don't get why so many people dislike it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

This is mostly true.

But the absolute garbage pokemon pacing kills it for me. They spoonfeed pokemon way too slowly, lock a ton of great designs at the end of the game, jacked up the EXP curve something fierce (Hydreigon evolving at 64, Volcarona at 59, etc. means in any game with a mix of generations Gen V dudes lag loving hard and are almost impossible to use).

I would replay it more, but you only experience the story once before you tune it out. And B/W sorta force you to use the same team up to the 4th gym which is ridiculous and lock a good 30% of all pokemon to super late and post game.

loving let me use Briavary! Durant! Bisharp! Meinfoo!

Also it introduced the idea of the event TM which is uggggggggggggh.

Following the proud Johto tradition.

Also, it introduced infinite use TMs. So it is probably the best region.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

What were the differences between bw and b2w2? Did it have the same starters and main characters and gym leaders or were they different?

Same starters and region, mostly the same gym leaders (though they had updated designs and new teams), and completely different everything else.

Edit:

Zore posted:

B/W2 was a sequel. Different protagonists, same starters and 6/8 of the gym leaders were the same.

It also added a ton of old pokemon to Unova and had you go to a few different towns.

5/8 gym leaders. Roxie, Cheren and the Water leader were different

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Normal will always be the "doesn't fit in anywhere else" type to me.

Well, with Null's name and all I think the idea is supposed to be that so many different pokemon and types got merged into that thing that they all ended up cancelling out into nothing. Hence, it just being normal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mabels big day posted:

maybe team aether and skull have nothing to do with Type: Null's origin and its just a weird design

It's gonna be made by one of them but it's not actually gonna matter or be brought up much if at all. Like how Porygon was made by silph co.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I hope they don't have the different teams have different focus like in RS/ORAS.

Don't worry they won't.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

UB-01 is clearly a mystical beast from another dimension whose first contact upon arriving in the pokemon world was with Lillie due to Aether Foundation experiments or some poo poo, and immediately upon this meeting the Ultra-Beast formed a meta-physical link with the girl and based it's appearance and mannerisms in this dimension on her. Which is also why UB-01 shows up when the Protag and Hau are at the Aether Foundation because they're pals with Lillie and so it trusts them.

I mean, it's all very obvious.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 8, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cerony posted:

I've come to believe that Professor Sycamore's assistants were the ones who were supposed to find Zygarde but then they realized they scored a Hawaiian vacation so they decide to dump that quest on us.

I'm pretty sure this is canon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

it's amusing that they clearly had all the stuff for pokemon z that got cancelled and they were all like "uhh poo poo stuff it in sun and moon i guess"

I'm pretty happy about it, because it means they're stuffing this game full of things to do. It looks like it's going to be a pretty expansive game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am happy that many of my old pokemon friends are going on a Hawaiian vacation. Also, i'm very happy that Stoutland is one of the rideable pokemon, because he is strong and my friend.

I'm really liking the look of all the locations and stuff as well. Gen VII is gonna be extremely cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I wonder what the third box legendary will be, if we have the sun and the moon. Earth? If so would that make it Zygarde? That's kinda lazy just moving that guy from XY to S&M

There will be no third box legendary. Instead we will get Sun and Moon 2 with some brand new legendaries!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

i mean yeah but oak there is blacker than the "black" PC character choices in XY

Personally, I think that's more to say that the 3 skin colour choices of XY were kinda limited and not great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I don't want any spray-tanned people. Especially in my Pokémon game.

As for Oak, I suppose people find it strange for him to appear in this game since it's been several years since his last appearance in a Pokémon game (I think it was Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?) and he was already fairly old in the Gen 1 games. Shouldn't he be at or over 80 by now?

ORAS canonised that new pokemon games may be entirely new dimensions from previous ones, so clearly in this dimension good ol Samuel Oak is just a bit younger than he used to be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Have we ever seen a person die? The only graveyard in the series is explicitly for Pokemon and you can be an 8ft tall immortal giant and barely merit a second glance.

:tinfoil:

Seriously what the gently caress was up with Az

Az got hit by an ancient laser cannon which grants people immortality. The protagonist of XY and his group of pals also got hit by this same weapon when fighting team Flare so they're similarly immortal now.

At least I think that's what went down. XY's plot was strange.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Can we call Ash's dad dead? I think its time.

Giovanni is still alive.

Zore posted:

I thought Az was cursed by his Floette because he was a dick warmonger king who dropped a magic pokenuke 3000 years and killed a ton of people and pokemon. Then he hobo'd it up until he crossed paths with the XY protagonist who beats him in a pokemon battle which makes his Floette go 'cool, I'll come back now'

The immortality beam only hit protag and Lysandre, who is now presumably alive forever under 10 tons of rubble. Which apparently they reverse engineered from Az's cursed body and Xerneas?

Yeah it got loving weird.

That might also be true, but I swear the immortality beam was like an ancient weapon of some kind. Though i'm probably misremembering.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope Cynthia keeps her Summer home in Alola. In fact I hope she has a home in each region from here on out, and just jets back to Sinnoh every time the elite four is beaten to beat up a new ten year old in a dumb hat

She is enjoying retirement after I beat her up and became the new champion.

There's a pretty good chance she'll show up though, yeah.

Edit:

Kelp Plankton posted:

i want to say there was one that implied there were several pokemon professors hanging out in Alola, and it also said that Blue was returning in some form

but i could be combining multiple 'leaks' in my brain

Man, but Blue's super lame. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Maybe? I mean the stuff with Lysandre is clearly leaving him to die though and in general pokemon isn't as shy about death as other games. A major 'dungeon' in Gen 1 was a graveyard where you had to fight the ghost of a pokemon murdered by Team Rocket.

And uh Cyrus/Lysandre/Ghetsis all try to kill the MC of their respective games explicitly. And you leave 2/3 of them to die in hell/a collapsing supervillain lair.

Hey man, Cyrus made that choice himself. The MC didn't do nothing. :colbert:

Also, although Ghetsis might not have been left for dead, his mind did explode and left him in 24 hour care from his ninja apprentices. Which is also pretty rough.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What were they?

The embodiment of despair and negativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Oh I must have missed something: Can we actually change what we wear in this? I see different clothes on the characters.

Seems that way. A couple of trailers now have shown the protags wearing different outfits. Guess they didn't feel the need to advertise it heavily since it isn't a new feature.