Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If anyone tries to give you grief about playing with gasoline while smoking, you can smugly tell them that the Mythbusters proved it's safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Been there, done that, still have a 6 gallon can of disgusting first-morning-piss colored gas in my garage because what the gently caress do you do with it?

We thought about sticking it in a metal bucket and burning it off but after a small scale experiment in a tin can realized that would have been an astronomically stupid idea.

If you are in the US, pretty much every municipality/county has a hazardous waste disposal site where you can bring stuff like old gas and get rid of it. You might have to pay a nominal fee.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Yesterday's goal was throw out the old nasty rug i didnt even want to walk barefoot on. Turns out it really tied the room together, in that everything had to go to get it out. Check out the spit stains under the couch lol

Need to play some Tetris but nearly everything has been deep vaccuumed, soaped, bleached, and wiped down.

Going back to this (just catching up) but if you're using bleach to try and treat mold... bleach is not an effective mold remediation product on any porous or semipourous surface, including painted or unpainted wood. It does not penetrate, and mold does. It also rapidly breaks down in a matter of hours.

Get to a lowes or home depot or other hardware store type place and get a bottle of Concrobium, and then follow the instructions. I have safely used it in the general vicinity of cats, as well, it is safe for them to be around although obviously don't like, feed it to the cat or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Consignment shop of some kind?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A camaro that sounds like (and weighs almost as much as) a city bus is the best possible camaro.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

41 years ago, men armed only with slide rules and graph paper managed to construct and deploy a vessel without a single computer assisted or controlled function, using less power than an average space heater, and calculate the exact moment three years ago it would finally cross paths with the Red Planet in order to build up momentum for it to rocket right back past where it came from on its mission objective of threading Mercury's needle and flying closer to the sun than anyone ever thought possible.

If all goes according to plan, the Icarus 14 will eventually work it's way back outward once more to hopefully come to a stable orbit somewhere outside Neptune about 20 years from now just in time to rendezvous with the Lewis and Clark.

Just a point of fact: There were computers in 1975. If you wanted to use a serious computer, you had to reserve time on them and enter your programs using stacks of punch cards.

Even in the 1975 of the planet of the apes movies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know how you get through that long of a rant without ever coining the phrase "spider eggos"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here, let me set your mind at ease.

I think what you have there is a false black widow, Steatoda grossa.

"False black widows produce symptoms that are similar to but much less severe than those of a true black widow bite."

They also eat other spiders, including black widows. There is nothing in that article about them hatching in people's faces so I think you're probably in the clear, I feel like that kind of information would have been included.

Also any spider eggs that wound up directly in contact with your spider eggos would get cooked, and cooked eggs are just good for you man, lots of protein and the good kind of cholesterol.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean I don't have chickens hatching in my face and I eat all kinds of chicken eggs so I feel like this is a comparable situation.

then again my toaster oven has never to my knowledge harbored illicit nests of chickens

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kids' books back in the day were hosed. Where the Red Fern Grows, the View from the Cherry Tree, White Fang, and Watership Down... I think I was reading those by the age of 8 or so.

Kids were all "oh there's a muppet at the end of my book" and I was reading about a kid tripping and falling onto an axe and getting it stuck in his stomach and dying and then later one of his dogs gets disemboweled by a mountain lion and both of his dogs die. Also I'd just read Rascal so I was kind of sympathetic to the raccoons but Where the Red Fern Grows is about a kid engaging in raccoon murder for sport. Back in the day, kids books sometimes contained gruesome scenes, murder, and heavy-handed political allegory.

Maybe that's why black widows don't scare me. By the time I was seven or eight, I'd already had it drilled into me that people (OK and also dogs) are far more terrifying than bugs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So are you at least piggybacking on that cafe's wifi?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you should write "THE SHABBINESS OF MY CAR IS NOT PROBABLE CAUSE" on it but maybe that's just asking for it even more.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

At first I thought "that tarp is protecting 14 from the street grime" and then I realized that no, it's intended to protect the street from the 14 grime.

And yet, the rainbow sheen of grease and confrontational denial still coils away off the tarp, a reminder of the Universal Law of Conservation of Filth: it is impossible to make something clean without making something else dirty.

Why, Lord, were there only one set of footprints in the sand?
Because, my son, you left slicks with every footstep, and I was stuck miles back down the beach rescuing oiled seabirds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It finally clicks. You channel Hunter S. Thompson so much, yet you are not at all like him; rather, you are John Constantine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4u_Llq6QbA

The devil's got your name, son, but you found a loophole: despite your bloody-mindedness, filthy habits, and dangerous habit of seeking out the most troubled cars for exorcism rites, you're willing - eager, even - to sacrifice for someone, even if they don't deserve it. So Lucifer will just have to wait.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 16, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That clip cuts too early... the devil pulls out his cancer so he can stay alive (and sin some more) rather than lose him to heaven.

Should check out the original comics, if you're in to that sort of thing. The guy is a very entertaining rear end in a top hat jerk with a haunted past who fucks around constantly but would die to save someone without hesitation even though he knows he's going to hell.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man that $56 Grilled Cheese must be fantastic.

But obviously you're there for a bigass bowl, with extra abuse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That was extremely stupid. And I like Alton Brown generally but what in the gently caress.

If you're going to use foil and a spatula and indirect heat you're just melting cheese. It would taste exactly the same if you used a microwave. Or just melted it in the sandwich. And bothering to fire up your outdoor charcoal grill just to make toast is completely ridiculous.

Also why did he use capital Es in his printed words on that board, god that drives me up the wall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What else is an engine for, but to burn rubber? I ask you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Marie Calendar pot pies are good

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, that's called "youth," and famously: it is wasted on the young.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wait, so how many cars do you now own? We'll go with a nominal, colloquial definition of the word "own."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In california if someone gives you a car, the state taxes it based on some lookup blue book style value. Which is why if you give someone a car, you always write up a bill of sale for some nominal amount instead.

Is it similar in washington?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How much would the tax actually be, on a $2600 valuation? like $50?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wait, you pay sales tax on a private sale of a used good? I thought it'd just be a general vehicle tax.

Yeah if it's 9% then gently caress that noise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The "in poo poo/undrivable condition" is not shown on a bill of sale. They assume you were a sensible normal person and were gifted a running car.

It's probably preferable to a situation where DMV "experts" inspect your free car and then come up with a bullshit valuation on the basis of a 204-point checklist.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, what are the odds this latest shitpile successfully conveys you and your flashlight collection to Nebraska?

Please express your odds in the form of a youtube of a 1980s-90s heavy metal song, with the radicalness of the song being proportional to the odds of success.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Out of gas, maybe?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If 14" has a functional bank account and can get to a branch office on opening tomorrow AM, we can wire him money. If another goon has an account with the same bank, probably some kind of e-check could clear immediately.

If we knew exactly where he is, we might be able to get a goon to him in person to hand him cash.

Failing all of that, western union is a ripoff but it does work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

foozwak posted:

I follow this thread but I must have missed why he's going to Nebraska, if it was even stated at all. What's there?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773374

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also the plan is that if the truck isn't getting close to being done by Wednesday, the dude is gonna head home on a bus. But probably by Wednesday even if it's sort of running, there will still be work to be done... and I dunno if 14" was planning on going home at that point, or helping drive the truck to Florida.

The real concern here is that, best-case scenario, 14" is either gonna get there in one ridiculously long stint of driving that will leave him exhausted or useless, or he's gonna get there on maybe Tuesday night. He might have time to help with the last day or two of fixing the dump truck? That might be valuable.

But less than best case scenarios don't look very good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14" is about to drive past a bunch of parts stores and junk yards and stuff on his way. Perhaps multiple birds can be stoned to death, and 14's utility to the project can be enhanced, if we can identify critical parts along his path that he can stop and grab? He does have a trunk full of tools, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think you guys understand just how emotionally committed to this trip 14 is. He's been looking forward to it for months.

I don't want him to break down somewhere cold and die of exposure either, of course. But if he gets there just in time to go home, well: the journey was the destination all along.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm struggling to understand how anyone in this thread thought that was a less likely scenario a week or a month ago, when the two car options were the (not running) ancient tiny Honda or the (not running) ancient lovely Causemero?

This was always going to be a mad drive to Nebraska across the northern US in late October in a piece of garbage car driven by a maniac. Were you guys confused about this?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the limits on montana interstates are as high as 85mph and if you're driving safely, the culture in that state is "go as fast as you want." I blew through this summer comfortably doing 85 to 90 with CA plates, no issues.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On the other hand, fuel consumption at those speeds is going to be even more horrendous. $400 in gas to go 500 miles or so is ridiculous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, 90 in Montana is OK. Once you cross the state line, you're in slower territory and you're an evil presumably-Hillary-supporting Washingtonian to boot, you gotta slow the gently caress down.

I hope this is just a 10+ over kind of thing and not an "Excessive display of speed" level violation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. /\/\/\holy poo poo

So is the end-game here a drive of the truck to FLA? If so, then what - fly back to NE, to drive either the jeep or the veedub back to Seattle?

I imagine moving away from Seattle is a no-go at least in the short term, since that's where 14 keeps his stuff, his cat, his doctor(s), and his unemployment income. Not to mention his other cars.

Is 14 literally camping in a field in Nebraska in November? Because if so, a kerosene stove is just the start of it; he needs a below-zero grade sleeping bag and a waterproof enclosure to camp in, because a pile of socks in the back of the jeep might not cut it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

What are you on about? The average daily high/low for Valentine Nebraska is 56/25, with a record low of 11. It's not the Pacific Northwest, but it's FAR from the Midwest in January/February. Camping in the Jeep with a kerosene stove is only risky for the fire-catching possibility. Actual heat won't be a problem.

I was thinking in terms of 0 degrees C, so that'd be 32 F, so probably not even good enough if he were to see those sub-freezing temps. Also when buying cheapo bags, tons of them are rated at 0C but are actually not safe to sleep in at those temps, because they're cheapo bags nobody seriously doing winter camping would look at. A good subzero bag costs like $300+ though, so :shrug:

You also never run a fuel stove inside your sleeping compartment, that's a great way to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in your sleep.

But anyway

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, you know, he has a house with a working furnace and mattress to stay in.

So oh. I don't think we'd heard that before, I got the distinct impression 14 was camping in a field that wasn't at an actual house, or something. Nevermind! Being indoors is good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Overnight/next day a cashier's check. Cashable at any bank. Not worth it for small amounts of money, though.

Opening a local bank account might require lying about home address and/or trigger fraud protection because 14's home addy is out of state.

Paypal djdanno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, see, you don't need to fix the rear brakes. Just, while driving, step down into that hole and apply the heel of your boot to the spinning drum thing.

(You can tell I am an AI pro car guy because I know the correct technical terminology for these vehicle pieces)

• Locked thread