Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It doesn't guarantee a failure loop, you're just bad :colbert:

if we're doing hot takes already in this thread, I'll point out a lot of criticism leveled at AH (not your post) could equally apply to 04 and boy howdy do overly serious fanboys get mad about that one. It's good times.

also, crow, it's the F-22A Raptor. It's not the F/A-22. It had a variety of designators including that one, but when it was officially accepted into service in 2005, F-22A. According to wikipedia, which would never lie to me.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tythas posted:

Was in the Airforce can confirm the F-22A part though everyone just calls it the F-22 even on paper

yeah, I rarely if ever see the A at the end, but I never ever see the F/A designation except for Super Hornet drivers, all of whom probably drop the /A whenever they can, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Bishop is cool, he keeps Guts' drinking problem under control. Responsible adult authority figures are hard to come by!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll have to do a proper write up on Sky Kid eventually, but I'm probably going to hold off on it till Ace Combat 6 for what will be stupefyingly obvious reasons once we get into 6.

It'll hit people like an avalanche, that's for sure

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Based on what I've read from DeFelice and knowing Namco's history, I think he was given the unenviable task of being told to make an Ace Combat game that also had to be Modern Warfare, and that while everyone tried hard, well :shrug:

Here are some archived versions of what he wrote about it at the time:
http://web.archive.org/web/20111031112942/http://www.jimdefelice.com/Assault_Horizon_16FE.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20111031113053/http://www.jimdefelice.com/Assault_Horizon_Peo_LTKZ.html

spoilers, I guess, considering. The first one speaks directly to rad's post.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

He's got it a little mixed up there - the F-35B is the V/STOL version, the F-35C is the naval carrier-capable version. But, yes, I would have loved to have seen how they managed to make the F-35B doing hover tricks and poo poo into an Ace Combat mission.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

As far as I know no - either AH isn't very moddable or nobody cares to find out. I imagine it's both.

It's too bad - I'd love to mod the DLC plane selection into campaign. Like, keep the class restrictions per mission sure whatever, but if the mission allows fighters and multirole, let me pick any, not just the ones in the 1.0 launch.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the only good things about HAWX were the intro videos Cooked Auto made and the Crenshaw Counter

...so basically that LP and nothing else

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It frontloads all the bad missions, so you can either do a steam refund or push through to mission 6, where it starts being consistently good and continues; after 8 is where it's very good.

like I'm not gonna pretend to defend the opening of AH as good because it frontloads the worst missions and the most egregiously bad scripted TGT_LEAD DFMs, that poo poo's a one-two punch I totally understand hating. It makes up for it and then some in the back half, though. And then the final bossfight, wellllll let's just concentrate on the world's best QTE instead

hot tip: play Oil Field in an F-4, pretend you are playing Area 88 in HD.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 2, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Upon rewatching crow's latest video one thing did occur to me: I say every AC game would be better with 04's briefing track.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lunethex posted:

I know for a fact I was flying this thing under the radar in a night time mission through canyons and pulling off sick, impossible turns.

Nope. Cooked Auto is right.

also using the custom paint editor to turn your B-1 all-white and call it a Blackjack is the pro move. Confuse everyone.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VKing posted:

That's the most boring AC130 video I've ever seen. Is that the original (lack of) music as well?

Yeah, it's boring. The music is just tuned really low, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exjZbEtUX7w

(music is also boring, sorry)

the only good AC-130 mission was COD4, and not just because it was the first in the modern oorah simulator market, but because they understood how to make it worth playing what amounts to a point and click arcade simulator. Though being first didn't hurt, that's for sure.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Namco was also unwilling to bring China into AH, so it's not just Strangereal where they're just not acknowledging it whatsoever aside from a few ace names. Speaking of which, I'll end you, NobleSixFour. HAWX? :getout:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

He has a hard enough time dealing with his UGB problem, I can at least take some pity.

:laugh:

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 4, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have evidence you don't check your PMs that much either :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Blind Sally posted:

you monster

yeah, those were originally in AC6. I'm sure crow bought all $180-odd of DLC :getin:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That would mean you're not using the F-16 Patriot and that would be the worst mistake

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Blind Sally posted:

i'm still choked there's no DASH RENDAR for best pilot, considering his appearance in previous lps...

it's to be fair to every other option, as obviously any poll with DASH RENDAR would be 100% votes for him

as it stands, the poll is implicitly for second place.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, the mission is wholly unremarkable, but Blockade isn't. 04 hasn't had a remarkable mission yet, really - partially because they're still doing tutorials and partially because 04 only has a few really good missions :ssh:

in my opinion #7 and #8 are the first two good missions, but they're really good, so it's worth it getting there

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 11, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The ground-attack mode thing is called ASM, not DFM. you see, the more acronyms, the more realistic it is!!

also criticizing AH's cast when we're watching an LP of Mobius One, the cipher before Cipher? :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 26, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

NobleSixFour posted:

My head is still ringing from the force of my facepalm the first time I played the pipeline mission. Highly Integrated Target System? Really?

I laughed at that one. I mean, here's the thing. It sounds dumb. It also sounds exactly like something Defense Contractor #3 would try to sell to DOD. And probably succeed. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's bleakly appropriate.

consider Rockwell's FireStorm Integrated Targeting System (yes, FireStorm, just like that) and there's also Raytheon's Handheld Integrated Targeting System for the same HITS acronym. These are real things, or at least real Powerpoint presentations :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 27, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

NobleSixFour posted:

Dude the A-10 is the best plane for that mission. It goes so slowly that if you brake for any amount of time at all the pursuing fighters just shoot right past you due to their scripting and you just pick them off easy as pie.

Top Gun rules on air combat, right here.

This does lead to amusing situations in other AC games where, in order to S-rank a mission which is nominally "go fast and chase x, get to point y, etc" the solution is to immediately stomp on the airbrakes and shoot every pursuer up the tailpipe and then proceed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Thefluffy posted:

:agreed: Those things are straight up an I WIN button and while it is fun to chump the last mission with them the crappy 1v1 :airquote: multiplayer :airquote: always degenerated to whoever can outlast the other's supply of QAAMs.

This is a problem in AC6 MP also. They did fix it in AH mp, the best part of that game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm not sure how else you'd balance them, though it could be Infinity took it too far, I don't know.

Magic QAAM missiles which shoot out of your rear end and go directly into targets behind you is the province of badly scripted final boss encounters involving overly long QTEs (not bitter) and in no way shape or form balanced. They can't be so good at tracking as to render evasive action useless but if they aren't better enough over regular missiles there's no reason to take them. It's a tough spot.

the only missile which should be ultimate killdeath when it hits is a SAAM because keeping a lock circle on someone (especially the smaller circle in more recent games) is something which both requires skill and renders you hideously vulnerable to taking a missile yourself. If this means I can rack up a huge kill streak in using a MiG-21 or F-4, that's fine. :)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

they didn't bind gunpods to the same key as guns, so you had to hold two buttons to get MAXIMUM GUNPOWER and that was annoying

also SAAM sniping to get the killstreak reward repeatedly was magical. MiG-21, PAK-FA. MiG-21, PAK-FA.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the Ka-50 gets UGBs. It's hilarious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Magic is the best AWACS, but let's save that for Ace Combat AH, shall we?

let me know if this is an effective way of trolling you, crow. :v:

(the unedited quote is the correct best AWACS answer, though)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FearfulSoggyFox.webm

got bored, made a thing. Crow, you can make a gfycat your desktop background, right? Really commit to being an ISAF pilot? :v:

Compression really does a number on it, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, put me in the AH list. I think I have most stuff unlocked for PC, too, so I can be that showy rear end in a top hat in an ISAF F-22 or the sakura F-14. No anime girls, though, that's for crow.

I uh, definitely didn't compile some giant unlock spreadsheet for people like myself who hate themselves, that's for sure :shepface:

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 6, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alright thread, riddle me this: Why didn't they just shoot the planes down with Stonehenge?

the common theory is "didn't want to cause an international incident" and crow implied "the technicians who could actually operate it were on the planes" but I believe all of you can come up with a better argument.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

LeadSled posted:

Who the gently caress cares about that, did no one else notice the F-104?

hey I care about Super Hornets with railguns, but I was about to post that. There's definitely a shiny F-104 in there at 0:46 and what might be the cockpit view at 0:49.

looks like the gimmick for 7 is going to be weather effects; clouds and rain. I'm fine with this.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 4, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

After extensive research into Osean archives

Well, this wins my vote.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Shei-kun posted:

I mean, it has the Idolmaster paint schemes. It better deliver with a loving ridiculous plotline and script.

I expect Crow to fly the majority of missions in AC6 using those Idolmaster skins, or else he can __ _____ ____ ___ _____.

:v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's like the world's worst version of hangman or wheel of fortune: you know exactly what letters to guess, and that's the problem!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zerbin7 posted:

Well I don't. Care to clue me in?

Wait until the AC6 thread. Trust me, you will know. Whether you want to or not.

NobleSixFour posted:

Edit: Also, Assault Horizon campaign recordings should begin in a couple days. Is there anything in particular people want me to highlight?

Death Rider F-15C, though I imagine you were going to already

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 25, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

Aside from the menus being a bit clunky I didn't have that many noticeable performance issues with ACAH. And then I played most of it on probably a slightly under recommended spec machine before I upgraded.

Yeah, there was some obvious console port UI but it ran really smooth on my PC which is a few years old now. I'm so ready for 7, hearing it'll be on PC is a very nice surprise.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

Well I was going to say that really depends on if they'll bother giving people tools for it but you know people are just going to figure out how to do it anyway. :v:

There are Macross skins for ACAH that never got hacked out, though, did they? I mean I expect with 7 being a mainline title and probably launching the same day as the other platforms might help on this regard, but I know there were Japan-only VF-1 skins for the Super Tomcat (of course) that I wanted and couldn't get.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think TTG is misinterpreting an event in 6 but I'm not going to say more than that. I get what you're referring to but I think there's a very significant difference to what we saw in the trailer for 7; and that assumes we're interpreting it anywhere close to correctly.

now that said, independent of any context, the idea of a penal pilot camp? it's not like this hasn't been done before. let's just sort of ... hypothetically assume there are some pilots who signed some bad contracts and have to pay off a significant, uh, let's call it debt. But the quartermaster is really corrupt so no matter how much they get paid for doing these insanely high-risk missions they never quite seem to break even, especially when they have to replace their planes... now where have I heard this before?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm just saying if they had a typo on the case when they went to print Ace Combat 8 and accidentally wrote out Ace Combat 88 I'd really be okay with this mistake

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ask me about joining a co-op partner's DFM on that mission and the game helpfully flying me into the ground. That one mission in co-op is oddly buggier than everything else in the game, go figure. also for what it's worth, putting in a re-record vote. You don't want to start a thread on the wrong foot. What platform you do it on is up to you.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think crow is only accepting submissions that make dash rendar jokes, sorry everyone. "I've got 8492 problems" and "Woof, woof, woof" are both hilarious to me though