Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dameius posted:

Does Vortex not do a virtual file system with Skyrim? Because it absolutely has that capability and can do it with Starfield.

It does. The stupid war between fanboys of MO2 and fanboys of Vortex essentially comes down to which UI they like more. The guy who created MO1/2 was part of the team behind Vortex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I sorta wonder why Nexus bothered to develop their own system, you basically need a premium account with Nexus to use any Wabbajack list to begin with. Like technically you don't, but you have to click yes a bazillion times and most lists include giant texture packs that would be insane to download at whatever the non premium speed is.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BigRoman posted:

So I decided to reinstall SE and finally try finishing this game, which led me to try out installing one of these huge graphical overhaul multipacks. I couldn't get my first choice to work via wabbajack/mo2, so I went with my second choice using the vortex "collections" method. It actually worked and looks a little nicer, but the author included mods to make all of the female companions/potential spouses look prettier (no guys though lol). And yeah, they are prettier, but this guy definitely had a type, and they all look they they're related and just had their hair done at the salon. I tried disabling the mods in question, but since it's vortex, they've all been permanently hit with the instagram model stick.

I also can't prove it, but I think it made all the redguards in the game have a lighter complexion.

I guess the moral of the story is if you want to download a curated list of 100's of mods mods, take a look at the underlying files and ask yourself if it wouldn't be easier to just download some texture swaps and ENBs instead of having 4k mountain rocks. Or don't use vortex.

I'm off to reinstall this game.

"Makes redguards and dunmer lighter" is a very very very very common problem with face overhaul mods. So it "makes everyone look kinda samey because the modder had very specific ideas about beauty and what makes someone look better."

celestial teapot posted:

This is a bit of a holy war in the skyrim modding community right now.

Myself, I have not used ENB (too much trouble getting it to play nice with my video card drivers on linux). But CS works fine, and therefore I have lost interest in getting ENB working.

I would like to hear neutral perspectives from reasonable people who have used both, because I can't see much difference between what I see in my game vs screenshots of ENB. But there's so much horseshit drama involved, if I go into a discord and ask about this it just turns into a slap fight.

This is what you just learned. Wait for nexusmods' new thing to ship. Until then it's wabbajack and MO2. Maybe after it ships too, but we'll see...

The real difference is the ENB guy is a nutjob right winger who's super homophobic and will even put insane screeds in his mod screens while shaders cache. It's also super closed permissions, but most of the drama is just "gently caress Boris."

Schubalts posted:

It does. The stupid war between fanboys of MO2 and fanboys of Vortex essentially comes down to which UI they like more. The guy who created MO1/2 was part of the team behind Vortex.

There are games it genuinely works badly on though, mainly Baldur's Gate 3. Everyone I know who mods for it has really bad experiences with it. The alternative for BG3 is not Mod Organizer at all, so I dunno, maybe something about that type of mod organizer works badly on BG3?

It doesn't help.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
MO2 has a plugin for BG3, but you still need the actual BG Mod organizer to do anything worthwhile. Can be nice for organizing your files I guess which is all it will do.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Midnight Voyager posted:

"Makes redguards and dunmer lighter" is a very very very very common problem with face overhaul mods. So it "makes everyone look kinda samey because the modder had very specific ideas about beauty and what makes someone look better."

The Dunmer Default Skin Tone shifting around a bit, game over game, trips me up sometimes. There's a blue or turquoise shade to them in Morrowind that's lacking in Skyrim.

(I know what you mean, though. I just want to gripe about skin tones in general.)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vavrek posted:

The Dunmer Default Skin Tone shifting around a bit, game over game, trips me up sometimes. There's a blue or turquoise shade to them in Morrowind that's lacking in Skyrim.

(I know what you mean, though. I just want to gripe about skin tones in general.)

Yeah, that is a thing. I have seen mods though that give each race their own skin texture and IIRC, Disparity and Diversity produced a nice range of Dunmer skin color that wasn't automatically bleached out.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Midnight Voyager posted:

The real difference is the ENB guy is a nutjob right winger who's super homophobic and will even put insane screeds in his mod screens while shaders cache. It's also super closed permissions, but most of the drama is just "gently caress Boris."

There are games it genuinely works badly on though, mainly Baldur's Gate 3. Everyone I know who mods for it has really bad experiences with it. The alternative for BG3 is not Mod Organizer at all, so I dunno, maybe something about that type of mod organizer works badly on BG3?

It doesn't help.

The faces look samey because a lot of mod authors base it on one common face sculpt that they tweak per character. I got nothing on the skin issue.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Skin color is a color overlay on the base skin texture. If a modded skin texture is brighter or darker than the default skin texture, you'll get that color issue with Redguards and Dunmer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schubalts posted:

Skin color is a color overlay on the base skin texture. If a modded skin texture is brighter or darker than the default skin texture, you'll get that color issue with Redguards and Dunmer.

Combined with the straightened hair I'm not entirely willing to believe it's just an accident when it comes to Redguards.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Air Skwirl posted:

Combined with the straightened hair I'm not entirely willing to believe it's just an accident when it comes to Redguards.

A friend has been playing Dragon's Dogma and, to quote her, "made the mistake of thinking maybe the comments on a wiki page could give more details about where someone hangs out."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OP either uses their real name and its an amazing coincidence or they named themselves after a fairly famous Black boxer.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Something in my mod list caused all the kids in Skyrim to have a vibrant brown skintone, including the blonde kids in Riverwood. Kind of strange, but nice to see mods adding more black people instead of removing them for once.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, but I mean, that's everything about the situation that I don't care about. What I want to know is, what is the difference to me? Like how it is when we usually compare mods and stuff

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

celestial teapot posted:

Yeah, but I mean, that's everything about the situation that I don't care about. What I want to know is, what is the difference to me? Like how it is when we usually compare mods and stuff

Closed permissions rabbithole, so if he gets annoyed, he holds it hostage. (it would not be the first time!) Also since it's so closed permissions, people love doing poo poo like putting closed permissions on their specific ENBs and adding DRM and poo poo to them behind Patreon paywalls apparently. Some of the drama is actually applicable to its technical issues.

It's also really got a high performance drain.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

OP either uses their real name and its an amazing coincidence or they named themselves after a fairly famous Black boxer.

You know, I didn't actually look at the usernames.

This is apparently the relevant character:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vavrek posted:

You know, I didn't actually look at the usernames.

This is apparently the relevant character:

Definitely a Redguard.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Air Skwirl posted:

most hair mods just come from older sims ports so they are trash. Use HG hairs like a normal person if you want more afro-textured hairs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

most hair mods just come from older sims ports so they are trash. Use HG hairs like a normal person if you want more afro-textured hairs.

I know about those, there's ones that straight up (no pun intended) replace Redguard hair with very high quality, straightened versions of it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish I lived in a world where I could hear of modding turning redguards paler with straight hair and go "That must be a problem with the quality of the mods they are using, not general racism!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

I wish I lived in a world where I could hear of modding turning redguards paler with straight hair and go "That must be a problem with the quality of the mods they are using, not general racism!"

I mean there are equal amounts of lovely mods with lovely skin textures, AND racist motherfuckers like Arthmoor and Hungarian Nazi guy whose name eludes me.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Air Skwirl posted:

I know about those, there's ones that straight up (no pun intended) replace Redguard hair with very high quality, straightened versions of it

replacing hairs in general requires you to go back to the CK, replace hairs with straightened versions and rebuild the faces. The Nithi series of face replacer tends to give redguards more curly hair.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

When a mod is being actively racist, it's been very very obvious historically because the creators can't shut up about how racist they are.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would say it's still pretty racist when a mod that is intended to make everyone "look better" somehow ends up with lighter-skinned, straight-haired Redguards. Like yeah, there's mods that don't do that. I've also seen more than one modded playthrough or stream where the person playing didn't extensively play with their mod set and was surprised and confused by whiter, straight-haired Redguards.

It's enough of a thing that you have to watch out for it in face replacers, and they don't tend to put "WHITENS REDGUARDS" in the mod description.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I scrolled through a wabbajck mod list that had a couple thousand mods and I thought the esm limit was like, 256 mods. Did that get improved?

And was it Crow that had the mondo cities/towns mod list somewhere

What are some house mods that have an excess amount of follower beds

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 22, 2024

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I scrolled through a wabbajck mod list that had a couple thousand mods and I thought the esm limit was like, 256 mods. Did that get improved?

Back when the Creation Club was introduced they added a new kind of plugin that gets around that (in short, they reduced the normal plugin limit to 254 and use a different encoding scheme to jam up to 4096 small plugins into that single spot).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

lol that's a classic

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Additionally, even without light plugins, you have mods (like mesh and texture replacements) that don't necessarily require a plugin file.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, the cities list is somewhere in my terrible post history in this thread. Let me find it real quick:

I've changed it since then so I'll post an updated version when I'm off work, but thr Cities of thr North/Great Cities stuff is rock solid.

Basically swap out Settlements Expanded for most of this dude's village mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/users/2527296

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 22, 2024

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the cities list is somewhere in my terrible post history in this thread. Let me find it real quick:

I've changed it since then so I'll post an updated version when I'm off work, but thr Cities of thr North/Great Cities stuff is rock solid.

Basically swap out Settlements Expanded for most of this dude's village mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/users/2527296

Is there a wabba Jack with these?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Blackthorn town gives you a mansion with like a dozen beds and if that's not enough you can have followers live in the guardhouse or inn or kill the townsfolk and replace them with your followers. There's a patch to the mod to let it come pre-built instead of going through the tedium of building the whole town yourself.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So I'm trying my hand at modding in some IMMERSIVE new clothes, clutter, and statics. It's been a fun learning experience. Thinking about maybe releasing it to the nexus and I had a question on texture sizing that I can't find a straight answer on.

What are the optimal texture sizes for diffuse, normal, cubemap, and masks? Are there any good rules of thumb here? I want things to look decent by today's standards.

I'm thinking it should be 4k diffuse for larger items (body clothing, table-sized statics, etc.), 2k for smaller-medium items (boots, hats, gloves, basket/vase, etc.), and 1k for small items (forks, ingredients, etc.). But I'm not certain what people expect these days. Downsizing textures is easy so I'm looking at what a reasonable max should be to meet most players expectations.

And then what about normals and masks relative to the diffuse? Should normals always equal diffuse size or could they be halve to save size? How much benefit does a 4k texture get from a 4k normal?

And lastly cubemaps. I understand these the least but I can make them! What is even a good size for these? Vanilla cubemaps run small.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

4/2/1k are the standard texture resolutions outside of the crazy people who want 8k eye textures. They (diffuse, normal, mask) should all be the same resolution. Don't mix a 4k normal map with a 1k diffuse, unless the diffuse is a solid color.

Cubemap resolution is whatever, there is no consistency for those things, and it's been a coin flip whether any given mod outfit even uses cubemaps. They're only there to provide basic reflections to metallic objects.

The Nexus wiki has a guide on making cubemaps
https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Creating_cubemaps_for_Skyrim

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I realized I never played any of the quest mods in years past, so I'm loading up Skyrim once again. I've grabbed Vigilant, Forgotten City and Sirenroot for starters. What other quest mods are worth a look?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Beyond Skyrim: Bruma might go a bit farther than what you're looking at, but top notch quality for the most part.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Moreau posted:

I realized I never played any of the quest mods in years past, so I'm loading up Skyrim once again. I've grabbed Vigilant, Forgotten City and Sirenroot for starters. What other quest mods are worth a look?

I'm a big fan of the TrainWiz Canon:

Brhuce Hammar
Blackreach Railroad
Lost Wonders of Mzark
Fyr Manor
Aethernautics
The Wheels of Lull
And the Creation Club mod Lost Seasons.

Keep in mind that TrainWiz leans into the weird Kirkbride Morrowind/c0da lore, and that some of its a bit janky, but there's a lot of cool stuff in these mods.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Buckle up, dragonborn. :rolleyes:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm a big fan of the TrainWiz Canon:

Brhuce Hammar
Blackreach Railroad
Lost Wonders of Mzark
Fyr Manor
Aethernautics
The Wheels of Lull
And the Creation Club mod Lost Seasons.

Keep in mind that TrainWiz leans into the weird Kirkbride Morrowind/c0da lore, and that some of its a bit janky, but there's a lot of cool stuff in these mods.

Blackreach Railroad has a very interesting boss battle that I never thought I'd see in Skyrim. I wouldn't want to see it repeated, but I would absolutely recommend it as something to play through.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
I made a greasemonkey script that adds the percentage of downloaders who endorsed the mod. Not ideal since download stats aren't unique (I think?) but I'm working on that

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Modding the nexus itself, very meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
:hmmyes: