Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Has NMM implemented a virtual file system yet? If not I can’t see how anyone who has ever used MO could tolerate it. One mistake? Enjoy your 4-hour reinstall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Berke Negri posted:

jenassa is the only companion i need

:hf:

She’s a stone killer who actually knows how to be sneaky.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I would like to chime in to sing the praises of Convenient Horses. Unmodded horses are so inconvenient that I simply never use them. This mod is excellently named. Being able to summon my horse after a dungeon crawl that spit me out on the other side of the map makes me actually want to have it. I love that my follower can mount up now too. Everything about it is great really.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Welp. The gaming rig I got specifically to play Skyrim like a boss finally died on me after 7 years of dedicated service. New PC is on the way. Problem is, right when it died, I was actually into my most involved Skyrim run in years, just hit level 43 and was about to start Dragonborn again for only like the 3rd time ever.

My SSD where all my data lives is fine and I intend to put it into my new PC when it arrives. I think that after I install Skyrim and SKSE64 all I should have to do to pick up my old game is just fire up MO2 right where it lives, make sure it’s pointed at the correct Skyrim folder, and away I go. Does this sound right to y’all?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
That’s so rad that we can do that. We’re never going to get a game like this again are we? I think Bethesda has been destroyed. ES6 is going to have MTX and DRM to protect them and it’s going to be hard as gently caress to mod unless you jump into their straight jacket and cut them their piece.

Well, here’s to another 10 years of Skyrim!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

bef posted:

Lol how does a computer "die"

Pump for the CPU water block quit and it’s a Falcon NW Tiki so it’s all closed and proprietary. I ain’t loving with that poo poo. It was about time for something new anyway.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Friends, it is Skyrim season for me once again. I recently bought Cyberpunk 2077 and put it down, disgusted, after 2 hours, because in the year of Our Lord 2020 I was unable to rebind the loving controls in the way I desired, something that presented no problem in 2011 with Skyrim.

So I spent about 3 hours today downloading and configuring a new MO2 profile. Some new textures. Some new lighting. Some new weather. Some new followers. VOILA!!! A fun new experience yet again. I fear this must be my last Skyrim character though. I’m trying very hard not to remember everything I already know. To do EVERYTHING with this last Mega-Nord. It’s hard. I’ve played this game so much, and nothing else has yet come close to its pure quality. I NEED Bethesda to come through with ES6. I know they’re gonna gently caress it up, but I must yet hope, because Skyrim, after 9 years, is nearly played out...

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
It’s the same old story. They half-assed it. You can rebind some controls but not all, not even most in this case. You can rebind the left and right arrow keys but not up and down. F? loving forget about it. It’s perma-bound to like 10 actions. The fuckers.

I basically had carpal tunnel after 2 hours trying my damnedest to adjust. gently caress that poo poo.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 12, 2020

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
HOT.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I know that most of the VA work in mods like Interesting NPCs is straight cringe,but I must say that I love Hjoromir, because he IS that nasally nerd farmboy but he LEANS into it and the VA does it well. I must protect this goofus as he hauls my loot!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Spoggerific posted:

I guess I'll just get used to navigating the menus with my keyboard. I play a lot of roguelikes so that doesn't seem like too much of a hurdle for me.

I'm looking to make a magic-based character, so what are some good magic and alchemy mods I could use? Right now I've got Mysticism, Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, and Undeath Remastered on my list. I'm also interested in some perk and/or leveling overhauls - last time I played I used SPERG, which is apparently still around, but does anyone have some other suggestions?

I'm also open to any suggestions people have for any kind of mod, really. I've never really done much experimenting. New quests and content, city overhauls, combat additions, I'd like to try out basically anything but graphics changes, which I don't really care about.

Here are my favorites for mage runs:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1469

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1090

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17004

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1976

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2068

When I’m not using SPERG, Ordinator is my perk engine of choice. Also, gently caress those Blades: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/365

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Does anyone know offhand what are common causes of that “snow on rock looks like shiny silver spray paint look?” It’s only bad in certain areas but when it’s bad it is strikingly bad.

e: Also I am rerolling, again, and I’m going with SPERG for the first time in a long time. I don’t even remember the last time I installed Skill Uncapper and I don’t know if I’ve done it right for MO2. I installed the DLLLoader mod manually as instructed in the real Skyrim folders. I then just installed the Skill Uncapper and SPERG mods normally via MO2. Did I do it right?

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 23, 2020

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

This is excellent - thank you. I am… starting over again. I updated to Windows 11 but managed to botch my stable I install and MO2 setup. It was time for a change anyway!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Dammit, the 3.00 alpha of DynDOLOD linked to on their website SAYS it’s 3.00, but it is actually 2.9.7, so I can’t LOD grass… Does anyone know where it really is?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Midnight Voyager posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/32382?tab=files

Is this the one you mean? In Misc files, the one marked 3.00. If not, maybe try that?

I SWEAR I downloaded that file (and the 3.0 resources) from that very link TWICE today and it was the older version. I did it twice to make sure I got the right one. Both times I somehow ended up with the old version. But, because you took the time to point me to it I just tried again, and Lo and Behold: now I have the right version.

I’m sure I screwed it up the first two times I tried it but boy does that piss me off :downsgun:

Anyway - cheers!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
And very well indeed. Thanks to everyone in this thread for showing me good mods all the time and helping me learn to use them. I highly recommend DynDOLOD to anyone who hasn’t tried it. It really makes the distant terrain look like less than absolute dogshit, which was always the biggest black mark on the otherwise decent graphics for me.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

nine-gear crow posted:

Be sure to pair it with eFPS and its patch hub. I can't believe how much better the game runs with it installed and DynDOLOD's newly included Occulsion patch as well.

Thanks! They say you really ought to make a new save, but alas I am pretty far along at this point. I think I will make some backups and roll the dice anyway. One thing I have been amazed about in this play through is my modlist has actually taxed my fairly top of the line pc, to the point where I regularly pull only 45fps and it’s noticeable. I will report results.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I regret to report that eFPS did not alter my framerate in any way. I am kind of surprised really. I do hope it helps others!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

FuzzySlippers posted:

These jokes are why wabbajack is such a revelation for me. These modlists just loving work. If I can restrain the urge to screw around with their choices then I can play heavily modded Skyrim unfettered by the bullshit

Yeah. I decided to install Septimus this morning and spent most of the day playing it. I thought I knew how to mod, but this pack is a revelation. It looks so much better than I’ve ever seen and has so many cool little new things every time I turn around. Usually when I start a game I play for a few hours and put it down for a few months. I think I’m gonna play this again tomorrow!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
So I’ve been playing my Septimus 3 run for at least a couple dozen hours and it’s been smooth and stable in all that time. Today I started the Potema quest in Solitude where you go into the catacombs and slay her spirit, and just after the penultimate encounter where she shoots lightning at you and spawns dragur at you, the game crashed. I started it back up and was able to proceed, but then after about 15 minutes maybe the game just crashed again as I was making my way back to Solitude. Started again, crashed at random again after another 15 minutes. I let this pattern play out 2 more times and I gave up.

Anyone know how to troubleshoot something like this? Is it possible to figure out what might be going on? I’ve never tried playing with this many mods due to fears of instability, and here I am. Bitch of it is I was having a lot of fun with Skyrim again for the first time in a while. Only thing I can think of is I have a lot over manual saves - like almost 200 of them because I would just make a new one every time I felt like doing a hard save. Could the presence of all those files be loving things up somehow?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

ThaumPenguin posted:

I try to keep less than two hundred saves in the main save folder as a time, while moving older ones into another folder. It saves a lot of load time for whenever you're opening the save screen.

For direct Septimus advice I'd recommend joining the Discord and uploading your NET Script Framework crash log there (you might want to take a peek at it first yourself, though). The crash log might be in your MO2 Overwrite folder, can't quite recall. There's information about it in the Discord channel.
https://discord.com/invite/WF66mMu

Thanks for the tip. I found the crash logs and they said pretty plainly, “Possible cause: Hjoromir.” Shame, but really I was only keeping him around for the comic relief. He was useless, so I sent him home. No crashes since!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I can’t believe how much I still love this game. I only hope, in 2030, when TES6 comes out, that it captures at least some of the magic,

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

KakerMix posted:

TLDR: Made a .zip file one time and called it 'Technic Pack' for Minecraft and rode that into a very lucrative career for my friends and I all because we told would-be arthmoors that end-users are more important than they are.

Thanks for that. I can still remember just how loving awesome that poo poo was at the time. Hats off to you Goon Sire :biglips:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
:hmmyes: