Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So coming back to this after years away after modded runs of FO4 and NV really sold me on how easy MO2 makes everything and trying the SSE. Is the Unofficial patch mandatory for SSE? Or can I avoid the oblivion gates, terrible dragon va and other weirdo jackassery?

Also what's a hair mod with real good dreads?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What's the state of modding like for the special edition Skyrim now? I remember when it first came out you couldn't use the script extender and almost all the good mods were useless. What about now? Can you use sperg and all that other stuff? I wouldn't mind a prettier and more stable version of the game.

e: Just took a look at some of the mods for SE on nexus. Looks like there are plenty to work with, so I went ahead and grabbed the SE while it was on sale. I may just use Ordinator and the Apocalypse spell pack to jazz things up. Any recommendations for mods like "more weapons than just the boring iron/steel/glass tiers" and something that might add some random rear end monsters that may or may not kick my rear end while out and about? Maybe something to add a little difficulty to balance everything out. I think last time I modded in that manner in oldrim, when I cranked it up to very hard to compensate I just wound up getting one shot it seemed like but that was a while back so I'm not sure.

e: does MO2 work basically the same way as the first one? It wasn't that hard once you got used to using it.

I'm digging Immersive Armors and Wildcat for gear and combat rebalancing. Also Violens just to disable enemy killmoves cause gently caress it I hate em.

Also yeah MO2 is basically just MO but updated for more functionality/stability as the original author got poached to make the successor to NMM and stopped updating.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Are there any other good follower mods other than Inigo for SE?

Or is it just weird dude's waifus all the way down? Cause that's what it looks like on the Nexus, or are some of those actually okay and I'm just jumping to conclusions.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 23, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If Bhruce Hammar has been ported, him

Doesn't seem to have been sadly.

The old goon review of Inigo linked in the OP seems to suggest that the only issue with Vilja is a sappy romance path and her default chatter being too much (and the latter is a toggle). Is it just sappy or does it bring in creepy poo poo too? Cause as someone who kinda likes Bioware games cliche romance novel stuff is not necessarily a problem.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nalin posted:

Well, the SkyrimVR community has managed to drive Arthmoor off the deep end again. He has taken the USSEP mod offline:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266

Arthmoor came out with version 4.1.3 of USSEP that will break marriage and adoption in older versions of the game. In typical fashion, he removed the download for 4.1.2a because older versions of Skyrim are "unsupported". Since SkyrimVR is possibly forked from an older version of the game, people were worrying if this would cause any problems as pretty much every single mod guide mentions USSEP. And to test if it was broken, you would have to start a new game with 4.1.3 and play up to the point where you can marry or adopt, and nobody had managed to get that far yet.

So, they did the one thing you should not do. They asked Arthmoor if he could put the old 4.1.2a version back up on Nexus until the community could figure out if the new version was safe.

Arthmoor flipped out and started deleting every single VR comment he could find. He refuses to support SkyrimVR as mods are "unsupported" by Bethesda. He refuses to allow anybody to do the work to support it themselves. Typical Arthmoor stuff.

Well, somebody found a direct link to the older 4.1.2a version on Nexus and posted it, and somebody mirrored the version to MEGA. So of course he then started posting in /r/skyrimvr calling everybody thieves, pirates, copyright infringers, and threatened to get people banned from Nexus. And now he has pulled USSEP offline entirely, claiming SkyrimVR is a "rogue community" that he has to take care of first.

All in all, pretty entertaining.

Reddit meltdown

loving lol. When are people gonna learn to not make every other mod rely on Arthmoor mods. How many times has this happened across the Bethesda games?

Like how many mods need the USSEP to run?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 25, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

The centrality of the unofficial patch and Arthmoor pulling this poo poo with it might be what finally breaks the power of mod author prerogative in the community just because no one wants to deal with this poo poo and does not have to when r/modpiracy exists.

We can only hope, as amusing as this drama is when it isn't directly affecting you I'm getting sick of coming back to a Bethesda game and finding mods gone or updated into a terrible state and yeesh.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not creepy at all, just sappy. Hell, you might even enjoy it. Vilja is definitely worth a go if only for the chance to enjoy the spectacularly bad voice acting on the dozen or so non-Vilja characters the mod adds. The mod is huge and much more than just an extra follower, but everything in it is 100% optional and won’t get in your way if you don’t want to engage it. If you’re looking for a follower mod besides Inigo I highly recommend trying it out.

Taintrunner posted:

Yennifer from Witcher 3, with her voice ripped from Witcher 3? She doesn’t talk too much and I don’t think it counts as waifu since it’s just ripped straight from W3 with CDPR’s approval.

Thanks, gonna try Vilja and I just found that Hoth had been uploaded for SE so gonna give him a go as well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd forgotten how stupid the Cidnha mine quest was. Like the railroad of getting thrown in the prison at all. I mean it sorta makes sense if you go there early but Bethesda's seeming allergy to giving you more options due to stuff you've done shows up more in this quest than almost any other.

So in short, are there any mods that fix that whole thing or do I just ignore it?

Also thanks to the magic of mods this is the first time I did the city unlock Thieves Guild stuff, and, those quests are actually fun? Why the gently caress did Bethesda hide them behind so much bullshit. Thieves Guild in Skyrim is such a loving mess.

On the upside the Companions was way better than I remembered, still no options but it all actually flowed and made sense (I mean because it's very simple but hey), kinda curious what the Fighter's Guild equivalent will be in the next TES whenever that is.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh wow I just noticed the OP's name. :catstare:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Coming back to replay Skyrim again, are there any good mods in the past year to check out? And visual stuff as well?

I was gonna do Ordinator to start off unless there's some new perk hotness.

And Legacy of the Dragonborn cause I never got around to that.

Sylink posted:

Wintersun -> Mehrunes Dagon worship -> Khajiit vampire -> explosions everywhere.

And if you have summermyst and claws armor. Things automatically die around you just by being present. Everything is on fire and exploding 24/7.

What mod does this? Like Mehrunes Dagon worship being a thing?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sylink posted:

Wintersun is the mod, one of Enai's, the guy who made Ordinator, bunch of others you should probably use.

I guess I'm saying doing a running power one-handed attack which spellscribes a fireball into the target, who dies instantly, which triggers a larger fireball, that kills the other dudes around you, setting off more fireballs, is a good time.

Cheers. That didn't exist last I played.

Also an aside, is the Unofficial Patch still basically needed? And if so does it have any dumb Arthmoor poo poo I need to patch out?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man the choice paralysis is real with the Wintersun gods.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I love the irony in the Redguard choices that the core tennant of Satakal's worship is to kill Alduin... who is the Nord aspect of Satakal.

Whoops.

I mean could be a mistake. But also totally seems like fitting Elder Scrolls god behaviour.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm having a blast running all of Enai's mods, the Frostfall stuff, Legacy of the Dragonborn and I think Climates of Tamriel?

So that's my current recommendation.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

bony tony posted:

Sounds like a blast. Include Immersive Armors, LeanWolf's swords, Guard Dialog Overhaul and I'm there.

Nice, think I'll add those, thanks. Never heard of LeanWolf's that seems like a real good one.

Oh speaking of "blasts" Apocalypse is in as well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I'm planning a vampire run using Sacrosanct and I was wondering if anyone had a good mod for like skipping the start of Dawnguard so you don't have to you know join the vampire hunters in order to join the vampires later?

Also do you still need to cure vampirism to become a lord in Sacrosanct cause I was gonna roll Molag Bal in Wintersun and uh that could be an issue.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 28, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

bony tony posted:

There's this for OG Skyrim, but I don't know if there are similar mods for Special Edition.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm not 100% certain, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar that one would work if you unpack and then delete the BSA. Cathedral Assets Optimizer can do that.

Actually that's an SSE mod, what the hey?

Hah. Thanks friends, google was not helping.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone got suggestions for good in depth housing mods?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Do you mean in-depth as in you take part in the construction or in-depth as in they have everything you could need to do what you want to do? For the latter, I'm a big fan of Riverwood Keep. If you use it in conjunction with a mod that lets you put followers wherever, you can have them populate the inn and streets of Riverwood while they sleep in the attached tower.

For the former, I've heard nothing but good things about LC_Citadel. Can't say I've used it though.

I kinda was looking for one that would eventually have everything but has an involved deal for building/upgrading so I have a long term project/money sink/resource drain while I dungeon dive.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Prokhor posted:

Are there any / many good mods that change your vampire lord form?

How it looks or how it plays? On the latter Sacrosanct is good.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So with the Dragonborn Gallery, contributions means i can like fill up stuff with one character and those same things will be filled on a different character correct?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Prokhor posted:

You have to go to I think the contribution ledger which is in the library next to the dudes desk and like save your contributions and then go back there and load them on a different character.

Ah cheers, hadn't got to opening the gallery with the second character yet but that totally woulda got me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blah it's saying it's working but it isn't. Damnit.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone have recommended mods for the Companions?

Ideally I want to be able to stay a vampire, but kinda interested in if there's anything like Immersive College kicking around.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's Oldrim but you can probably try porting it over. Lets you set requirements for advancing in ranks, and when the moment comes, lets you turn down becoming a werewolf.

Cheers. I haven't done that before, what's involved in porting a mod like this usually?

Edit: Looking at the comments the author's been trying to update for SE for a while so it might not be doable, at least by me.

Fuzz posted:

I just use that follower framework posted earlier, plus Inigo, Lucien, and Sofia. Sofia is actually insufferable and annoying, but she had specific interaction dialogues with those two (maybe others?) So it's okay to have her wandering around.

Not that kind of companions friend.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 7, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

You're referring to the fact that Falinesti rooted itself.

Thought that was more Vivec's thing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Agean90 posted:

lol how hard is it to just ignore them. gently caress are they gonna do post at you?

There was that Starbound guy that doxxed people who wouldn't join his modpack and tried to tell their family they were pedos.

Like Arthmoor's probably petty enough for that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's Oldrim but you can probably try porting it over. Lets you set requirements for advancing in ranks, and when the moment comes, lets you turn down becoming a werewolf.

Agents are GO! posted:

Honestly, it looks like he was having trouble porting it before SkyUI and SKSE were released for SE. Right now, just use cathedral to convert the assets and the SE CK to convert the esp and I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work fine.

Just got to this, as I got distracted from Skyrim by new stuff, but this seems to work perfectly if anyone's looking for a mod to expand and give options to the Companions. Thanks a ton both of you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

is there really anything left that hasnt been ported over to SE from oldrim at this point besides maybe someone's favorite hat or hair mod that the author hasnt been heard from since 2014

That Companions mod I'm using which is pretty useful as it seems to be letting me do the Companions questline as a vampire doesn't seem to have an SE equivalent though it is easy to port wiih Cathedral now so a port is not really needed I guess.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Which has better mods, Skyrim or Skyrim SE

dwarf74 posted:

It kinda doesn't matter; you should use Skyrim SE.

Most of the top mods for OE have been converted to SE, but even if they hadn't, the speed and (especially) stability improvements are staggering.

Also there's a thing called Cathedral for easy converting mods to SE. Even someone as technically incompetent as me could do it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Speaking of avoiding the Thieves Guild and DB, are there commands to add the exhibits for them in the new Dragonborn Museum? I don't want to do those questlines again, but also don't want big empty spots in my museum.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As someone who likes food systems in games is there a good mod for adding fun recipes to try and hunt down/make? I've tried the Campfire adjacent stuff and if there isn't a better one will roll with that again, but was hooping for something a bit less survivally and bit more like I dunno FF15 where hunting down rare ingredients and recipes gets you badass buffs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rainbow Knight posted:

these ones look cool so i immediately downloaded them

Mealtime - a Food and Recipe Mod

Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul

i know that SPERG has an alchemy perk that adds a new alchemy ingredients to pretty much every monster, and if you're looking for cooking ingredients in particular, a surprising source for special ingredients and meals would be monster mods of all things. cook up some Pyramid Head Flambe or some poo poo idk

Cheers, I'll look into that. And the monster mods seem like a plan too.

Rainbow Knight posted:

you loving would, wouldn't you?

I come by my name honestly.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I got a combo of Great Cities, JK's and Cities of the North going (with comp patches) and man Morthal was always kind of my favourite with it's frozen swamp aesthetic but I really like it now.

Also Idgrod's the best jarl.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

What specific patches and load order do you have? Because I've had a hell of a time trying to get it all working together without clipping or crashing.

I basically followed the setup suggested here

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/33687

(plus some compatibility patches for LotD and Thunderchild) and it seems to work great. The only issue I've noticed is shadows are hosed up in the Winterhold Inn.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What's the best mod to make the kids not all weird clones like Skyrim had that fertility doctor who just used his own juice? Kinda don't want to download without asking in case there's some weird poo poo on the nexus (of course there's weird poo poo on the nexus).

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 19, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

e: Actually, looks like the mod author pulled that mod entirely because people were trying to do gross poo poo with it.

loving lmao. Of course.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anything weird/bad with RS children? I guess it's not a huge deal but the clone look is bugging me whenever I run around any town and that seems to be the top mod for fixing that.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 23, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

:shrug: It just annoys me a bit. Guess it's one of those small things that when you notice once just sticks out whenever I get reminded of it?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Are any of the Serana dialogue expansions worth getting? I see two popular ones and apparently they don't conflict? Serana Dialogue Edit and Add-On respectively. Just about to do Dawnguard on this run and wondering if it's worth installing either or both.

Edit: trying them, seem okay so far?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The biggest lesson I've taken from Skyrim mods is that apparently quality voice acting is really loving difficult because almost every mod I've ever seen that adds voice acting it is appallingly bad, except a couple of the custom followers. And even then Vilja for instance, if you think Vilja's own voice acting is bad, wooooo boy, the various side characters in the mod's quest are comically bad. You couldn't try to be that bad.

And then you get Inigo and he's like, professional quality? Did they hire someone for him? Looking at the mods page he was just done by a really talented amateur which is like, wow.