Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

okay so for everyone else's safety: when you're running iNeed and the default inebriation settings are on and you're eating and drinking things from your backpack to free up some room, try not to run around all willy-nilly on hilltops

got hosed up on mead, stumbled drunk off a cliff, landed a normally survivable fall squarely on my head and flopped over as dead as a rock lmao

so much for cats always falling on their feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Hey, I've lost a pretty great mod I once had. It was this fantastic, convincingly normalmapped do-over of the faux-3D diamond pattern metal doors/city gates in Solitude and elsewhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

e: eh, uh, whoops. Apparently I was under the impression that I'd installed SMIM when I hadn't. False alarm guys!!!!

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 23, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Legacy of the Dragonborn status: oh my god what is this garbage

There's these new gemstones in the mix, right? there was something severely wrong with how they looked and I thought I had installed something wrong, but

with mesh/texture pairs like these, it's no wonder they look like broken pieces of poo poo

and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that not even Morrowind modders left loving stock photo watermarks on their textures

e: pyrite.dds is actually a 400x268 stamp that was just stretched to triple size, pixels and jpeg artifacts and all. right next to it is the tiny 104x120 poudretteite.dds, which appears to have been cropped from the very first google images result (a 250x203 thumbnail of a cut stone)

scamtank fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 24, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

coral.dds, tourmaline.dds, red diamond.dds and rhodonite.dds also confirmed for watermarks

the ones in the first first two are so incredibly mangled and low-res that I can't actually make out whose stuff he actually stole. rhodonite came from antolini.com, the diamond is another depositphotos sample

about the only acceptable-looking ones in the package do so by accident, like carnelians (although the lighting on the model is real fucky-looking), but the single one that looks okay by design is sulfur. that's mainly thanks to the model being a cup of fire salts repurposed to hold yellow dust, so he had a ready texture to MSPaint over

i wonder whose retextured cup that is

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

it's only an eyesore, to be sure, but it's a worrying sign when something this big and this complex and this pervasive has signs of really, really sloppy judgment

considering how the only offensively bad things so far have been the gemstone modelling and the crimes against grammar in the museum NPC dialogue, I hope this was just something he absorbed from some nameless shamelord's first mod without looking too hard. this sort of work ethic on the scripting front would make any save a time bomb

on the positive side, the distribution of the gems into the world was fairly straightforward and sensible, so I didn't have to work hard to uproot the terrible crap from generic treasure and mining yield lists. they're still handplaced all over the world and all of them can still be obtained through excavations, so I can sweep them under the rug until I want to complete some display cases (which I won't look at)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is what it is. The gemstones were part of some mod that added a loving bajillion gems and metals and minerals and just a ton of ridiculous stuff, and he just cut out the gems, IIRC.

For real? That's something of a relief. Now I can cautiously trust the LotDB coder to not be a "writing letters to congressmen with turds" imbecile again. Now it's back to normal concerns, like why does using the museum staff kitchen's oven slurp up every last food item from my pockets into some unreachable limbo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Can anyone recommend an ENB that works well with night eye and night eye overhaul? No matter what I do with vividian the end result is almost useless. The best result I can get is a night eye that just jacks up the gamma but still doesn't really let me see that well in the dark. If I tweak it in ENB control panel I can get rid of the gamma but that effectively turns off night eye.

Phinix (the purist's choice) claims to be fully compatible with Night Eye effects, modified or otherwise.

I used Vividian for ages. For all my trying, I had to accept that night vision was just busted no matter what.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 26, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

man who the gently caress at sierra thought "hmm we need a wise old voice for this wise old border collie dogboy. I know!!! earl boen"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

speaking of noble skyrim, it makes Skyrim HD look like hot trash and I'm a little miffed I never ran into it before this OP

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

funkymonks posted:

So it looks like the only things Noble Skyrim doesn't touch is vegetation and maybe clutter/placed objects? Would that be accurate?

it's real good for the taking care of the big picture, like most ground textures, walls, doors and terrain

I still use specific small-time replacers like amidianborn and et al. for equipment, statues, rugs/pelts, banners, fire effects and other fiddly poo poo that you are constantly looking at up close

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

y0, Noble Skyrim users: What's the performance hit like, what's your graphics card, and are you using the performance version?

#1 no idea/can't tell the difference/i've grown to accept literal garbage????
#2 GeForce 750Ti (2GB)
#3 ye

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

For anybody in need of some fresh equipment, boy do I have the mod for you.

i wanna see some arrow killcam footage of that

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

just found the objectively best visual effect for Wintermyst's "jagged" things (little bit of bonus damage per hit, tripled on any non-armored victims) in Enchanted Arsenal's option library

nothing fancy, nothing magical, just permanent blood spatters all over my Executioner's Iron Greatsword

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

This is more or less unavoidable if you have two mods changing the same asset.

And sometimes expected, too. The author of Legacy outright says that it has to include all sorts of basic vanilla poo poo for ~reasons~ so if there's a conflict, it's on good authority that Legacy should be the one overruled

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Section Z posted:

Continuing the stupid questions I am embarrassed to ask train. What does the "Priority" listing for the left list signify, then? Considering the priorities listing on the list to the left, and the plugins list to the right, don't necessarily line up even if you push that sort button.

that's the "use these assets first" priority list, your mods are in that order by default. the number is there so you can see what's overriding what even if you sort the mod list alphabetically or something.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

so i installed the INIGO mod for the first time

not a fan of the purple cat's singing, but what puts him head and shoulders over other followers is that he doesn't try to occupy the same space in reality as you at all times and will in fact apologize and step out of your way if you get right in his doorway-blocking grill in a pointed fashion

not as quickly and promptly as the follower cast in half-life 2, but just being comparable says volumes

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Since we're talking about Bethesda, you need to mod it to stop the crashes in the first place.

crash only by your own terms

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm not exactly sure which spell it is, but Apocalypse just granted me a staff that hits a target for 100% and me for 125% of its health, reduced significantly if the sacrifice would be lethal

the rod of "by my right as the chuftier boy, i bid you dead". gotta give them credit i wouldn't have imagined for a way to make fortify health potions a means of offense

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Campfire did it right with tents. Activating your bedroll lets you either lie down, kick your boots off and smugly view the raging snowstorm outside from third person or maybe talk to your party members doing the same before invoking the sleep menu, or... just invoke the sleep menu immediately like any other bed if all you want is some shut-eye to get rid of that -80% skill growth penalty.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if I'm not too obsessive about visual mods and just want to make the game look good with minimal effort, will Noble Skyrim cover me or is there anything glaring it misses out

I'm just gonna ignore that "minimal effort" bit and trust you know yourself where to draw the line when improving:

- shrines
- tapestries
- jewelry, esp. the "jewel" bit
- pelts and furs, but almost everything made by Gamwich that has a giant allcaps RUSTIC in the title is honestly fackin diamond m8

one kinda open sore is how garbage the statues of the gods and daedra look. I downloaded a thing myself, but for allegedly 2K textures they're still bad enough that I won't bother linking that one

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

oh golly. I didn't even realize that his rustic grab-bag collection had a thing for those astoundingly lovely prisoner cages that nobody else seems to have wanted to touch

looks like my vram usage is blasting off again

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and yeah by "minimal effort" I've been modding heavily since Morrowind so I just mean "will take less than a week for once"

i tend not to link anything that demands ENB fuckery or link-ups with some incredibly pervasive lighting overhaul thing, so mission accomplished i guess

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

wow, interesting npcs finally gives something after a dry spell

after so many tired tragic backstories and troubled childhoods and assassins with morals and monologues by drunk dunmer knights, I run into a pleasant agreeable cat guy who's insecure about his disfiguring birth defect of being built like a brick shithouse

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

if you haven't reached level 9 in a standard leveling pace playthrough, wowie that's some dedicated restarting action

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

A Game of Chess posted:

I had such great luck with my mod list and now my main save crashes every time I go in the vicinity of my character's home. :saddowns: on the whole though I guess I'm surprised it took this long.

Every time? Whenever I've run into a sudden crash deathzone like that, going off and doing something else like clearing a dungeon for an in-game day or two has helped several times. it's like there's something indescribable happening in one of the nearby cells that's making the engine turn itself inside out

of course, if the only place you can go is the "vicinity of your character's home" because you're leaving your house, it complicates things

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Viperix posted:

I'm interested in playing Skyrim again in a few weeks when I have time. Looking at the last few pages it looks like if I want to use the current set of mods as we know them, I'm better off just giving classic Skyrim a good visual overhaul(like STEP) and using that, since most of the mods I like will be fundamentally incompatible until if/when SKSESE is released. Is this correct?

yes, that's the gist of it

asset overwrites like textures will probably work out of the box, .esp mods that wrangle the engine as expected by the creation kit will need a quick processing through the new CK to be compatible and script extension is back to square one and out of action until a lot of work happens

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, balls. Yeah custom animations were entirely hosed too, now I remember.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Colgate posted:

I seen it mentioned, and I'm wondering how is Legacy of the Dragonborn? It's completely huge, which is why I'm hesitant on downloading it, so I also realize there's a lot of bloat. But how much does it actually add to the game, and of what quality?

Do you like giant collect-a-thon museums where you can gawk at your giant collection of poo poo from armor sets and artifact weapons to book sets and rare tomes and treasure maps and minor-yet-unique things like shivs and horns and replicas of those otherwise forgettable quest heirlooms you hand off to people? There's a few quests, too. I think it integrates Moonpath to Elsweyr, Unique Uniques, the old artifacts of Morrowloot, the libraries of previous Elder Scrolls titles and the unique Book Covers for all of those to count off the top of my head.

I was so not a fan of how terrible-looking the collectable gems and minerals were (so much so that I left them out of the mining yield tables, leaving just the ones hand-placed in homes and stores), but I did like the paintings (generic, expensive, found in most big stores and hand-placed in bandit lairs, you can stick them onto empty frames in the museum to make a unique painting appear there) and magic decks of cards and rare coins in the loot tables plus unique statuettes that you could just find for sale for a massive sum in a pawn shop somewhere

Some of the writing is screaming for an editor's spellchecking and the script-heavy loot sorting in the museum safehouse (you get the key after a few additions) is heavy enough to be a stability liability if left on, but most of it works nicely for something to massive. LOTDB gave my game Added Value and I like it a lot despite the cracks in the immersion in places.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 28, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Can you even do nasty poo poo through .esp files? Because if you could, oh man that would be the golden god of all viral vectors.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Reddit has the scoop on it. Side by side, I can tell the difference and it is worse, but it's not like "all noises have been replaced with 128kbps .mp3 renditions" worse.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

sebmojo posted:

They've said that was a mistake, iirc, it's going to be patched.

Yeah, they're on the map with this one already. And if you somehow got it in you to fix it NOW, supposedly you could just extract the vanilla Skyrim_All_Noises.bsa, repack it into SSE shape and just truck along as well as it always has.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Is there a reason at this point not to just go back to normal ol' Skyrim if you're playing on PC? I get that Special Edition has pretty environments and all, but mods already did that. I'm not asking to sound contrarian - this all just seems so unnecessary.

Right now? It's probably the stronger option yeah. The increased stability just doesn't outweigh the whole "5 years of making the game less bad" yet.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

How much did they do to the shadow rendering? With my 20 minutes of trying out and not being impressed with the performance I didn't even think to look for striping or face flickering.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

Other than that, I'd at least want SkyUI in some form.

The wisdom in the SkyUI download pages says "just download the legacy version 2.2, ignore all whining about SKSE not being found, have an enjoy"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I know what I said about RUSTIC stuff earlier but honestly yeah it's pretty hit and miss. I like the soulgems and the magic worktables, but there's a few in there that are just bad not from the lack of resolution, but poor judgment

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

i think the pull of ready modpacks is less about skipping the technical fiddling and more not having to push the brakes on the "BUT IS IT GOOD ENOUGH NOW" part of brain that's responsible for making the modding the actual game

i mean it's a ready pack, someone who knew what they were probably doing looked at it and went "yeah, that's plenty. this is a good state of affairs" and surely i can trust them on that one at least

but as pointed out above, there's always some awful deal-breaking garbage in there that breaks that trust and puts you back in the responsibility seat, so better to just make it a project. GEMS, STEP and the nexus top #something are a pretty baller template to build off of already

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 19, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

docbeard posted:

I'm modding up Old Skyrim on my new machine (Windows 10, alas) and I had a question about textures. Can I pretty much just drop in Noble Skyrim and call it a day (aside from weapons, armor, individually-modeled 8K eyelashes, etc), or are there holes I'd still want to fill in? (Using performance textures since my old eyes can rarely tell the difference anyway)

Loving all the suggestions in the OP these days.

i had to ask myself this a while back and yes, there are some holes that Noble Skyrim (most of the world at large) and AmidianBorn (things that go on you) miss

scamtank posted:

I'm just gonna ignore that "minimal effort" bit and trust you know yourself where to draw the line when improving:

- shrines
- tapestries
- jewelry, esp. the "jewel" bit
- pelts and furs, but almost everything made by Gamwich that has a giant allcaps RUSTIC in the title is honestly fackin diamond m8

one kinda open sore is how garbage the statues of the gods and daedra look. I downloaded a thing myself, but for allegedly 2K textures they're still bad enough that I won't bother linking that one

the RUSTIC stuff is pretty hit and miss honestly, there are a bunch of gems but a few are just misguided and look bad despite the resolution. you must judge the previews for yourself

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I think Complete Crafting Overhaul had a "update level-dependent artifacts to match your pace" feature. It was implemented either as an automatic script whenever you leveled up, a cast spell or just a manual button in the MCM menu.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, there's your tonic. If there's more than one mod muscling in on it, you'll see it right then and there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Transmetropolitan posted:

You guys were totally not kidding. I have an issue which I do not know if it can be solved by a mod or by fiddling with the config files - poo poo is flickering all across and the best I could gather for what is causing it is that Skyrim behaves extremely badly with refresh rates above 60hz (I have a 144hz monitor). I don't see any "enable vsync" option on the menu, so, any tips on what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

We like using stuff like Nvidia Inspector to force a framerate limit on the hardware level. ENB also comes with its own solution.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Isn't that decision in your browser's territory? What's it associate "nxm" stuff with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

KakerMix posted:

All my jarls are tits