Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ass_Burgerer posted:

In the end, I remain loyal to ordinator. The base perks are a nice 2/2 format and there's lots of cool options and things to branch to. I really wanted to like vokrii, but I prefer having the many options found in ordinator.
If Vokriinator has a non-SE version, give that a look. I am running it cause I wanted a change from SPERG and it keeps the base 2/2 and the variety of Ordinator while still incorporating some other cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nine-gear crow posted:

It also makes the start of the Riften/Thieves Guild quest kind of impossible because the NPCs it adds aren't effected by Brynjolf scripted distraction so you'll always be in Detected status when you try to rifle through that dude's stall.
"Oh, it's just Brynjolf again, sigh" seems pretty realistic to me!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a really vague question: How do I make magic not suck? By which I mean, sure, I'm at low level and frost spells eat me alive, but there's basically no point in my typical character progression curve where any spell feels more efficient in terms of time and resources than the "spell" that's "swing sword at face".

Mods that adding more spells haven't given me anything tempting enough to ditch heavy armor and swords. Maybe it's just because I don't give it enough of a shot and should have robes on and go full stealth and all? Is the solution a combat overhaul to make swords worse rather than spells better?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you're not using that toolkit and just throwing flames, you'll never get anywhere.
But flames are fun :(

Or, more accurately, the menu interface makes sticking to one thing about ten times more fun than having to swap even between favorites.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh man I saw that image but totally missed that it was TrainWiz, that owns.

I've got a weird one now. Any Legacy of the Dragonborn content is crashing. I just started The Visage, got like 530 artifacts in the museum, and I'm most of the way through the Amulet of Kings quest. Any one of those could be triggering it, or none. But if I walk up to the ghost for The Visage, or try to get close to the museum whether by fast travel or walking into Solitude, I get a CTD. Haven't tried like, the other ruins LOTD adds or anything yet. No real clue what's happening, so I'm trying reinstalling LOTD and hoping that fixes it. Anyone got any other ideas?

edit: the reinstall fixed it, at the cost of breaking the Amulet of Kings quest, and I don't know what setstage to use but I'll figure it out

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 9, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Agents are GO! posted:

My guess is an improperly generated facegen for the ghost.
But that wouldn't make the museum in Solitude also crash my game! (and yes a reinstall fixed it so meh)

I hadn't actually played through the main plot of Dragonborn before this playthrough and lmao it sucks so bad, there's some potential to be cool but the PC actually doesn't do anything relevant or meaningful the entire time

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

graynull posted:

Also love the kinda black and gold elven armors. They look a lot more like thalmor robes/colors, and I almost never saw anyone in the game wearing it besides thalmor trash anyway.
No, elves are all pricks with cheap brass with goes-fast wings on it, I will die on this hill

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Her hand can touch my beacon any day

eh work with me here

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Trainwiz is great, that's all for my contribution to this conversation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rainbow Knight posted:

Sven and Faendal are the designated sacrificial followers you goober :colbert:
no it's uh Mercurio or whatever his name is, the sellsword in Riften's inn that spends all day sitting on a bench bragging about how great he is

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The madman behind Vokriinator has released a version that requires nine mods:

SPERG
Mysticism
Adamant
Path of Sorcery
Vokrii
Vokrii - Mysticism patch (in Vokrii's page)
Ordinator
Ordinator - Combat Styles
Vokriinator Black

Booted it up and yeah it's something.

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of Perk mods, anybody seen this one

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/104349

it goes a bit beyond perks because it tries to remake crafting and bartering as well through the crafting and speech perks and it merges both armor classes to make room for an unarmored skill.
Get to it, Vokriinator creator. You missed one! :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm actually kinda tempted to reinstall and try Skyrim Souls. I figure it'd wear out its welcome cause it's not designed from the ground up to be Dark Souls... but it also looks cool. What is your loadout there?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Agents are GO! posted:

You're not modding a game, modding is the game. :colbert:

On a different subject, I'm part of a group that's porting and revamping almost all of TrainWizs mods for special edition, and almost all of us have gotten PTSD* from it. :shepicide:

*Post TrainWiz Script Disorder.
oh man thank you because TrainWiz is great

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You marked him for death, and they obeyed. Who are they to question the demigod who rebuilt the town?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

This https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/41960?tab=posts just came out and seems like it could be cool. It's a zedit patcher that randomizes all of the effects the alchemical ingredients in the base game + your modded ingredients.
This is cool.

(but lol at the recipe notes not being patched so they're just wrong)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

I swear to god I saw a mod that was an add-on to Live Another Life that started you at the top of the Throat of The World with the Horn of Jurgen Caller and a note to meet what's her face and the first two force push shouts and the sprint shout already unlocked, but I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
oh my god please hook me up on this one if anyone finds it, that'd get me to replay much sooner

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want to actually go about making a modlist in an organized matter. Does Nexus have a functionality to just like... save something to a list? I literally cannot find one. I can find a list of everything I've ever downloaded, and I can Track stuff (but not see a full Tracking list, which would work just fine), and I can Endorse stuff (which is not an ideal list to use because I have endorsed things that were good, but I do not want this time), but I feel like a moron for not seeing a basic list functionality.

edit: the list of things you are tracking is in the dropdown bar at the top, under Mods > Tracked Mods, hope this helps the next moron like me to come along

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FutonForensic posted:

Mod Organizer also has an option to export all your installed mods to a .csv:
Right, but this is the opposite of what I want, I want to plan ahead for the install and not take up the hard drive space.

(that said, still a very helpful post)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

Could make a bookmark folder in whatever browser you use.
Would have also worked! Turns out "Watch" was the right functionality and I just couldn't find it - definitely easier to manage that way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I've never used zedit before but I want to use the Alchemy Effects Randomizer.

Should I be using zedit on just the base game five esms, or do I get the entire load order ordered first (I assume this is the case, since it may add more items that need randomization) or like, at what step in the process do I do that? Literally every guide I have found is assuming knowledge I do not have.

I get that what it does is ultimately merge things into a plugin that... I then plug into my load order? Should I be merging things and then leaving them out of MO altogether? I am not very smart.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Yeah. Run it on the main esms, and anything that adds something to alchemy. Or just throw the whole load order in. It won't use anything it doesn't need, so there's no harm in putting more in it. It just spits out an esl in your overwrite folder, but I put it in a proper modorganizer folder, loaded last.
Perfect, thank you. Now I only have three one incredibly dumb questions left!

1) how do I get zedit to "see" my load order, it still only sees the default DLC (edit: "run it through MO" was the answer, I am dumb)
2) why is my game is in windowed mode, it doesn't seem to be a setting in enboost because I turned Borderless Windowed on there, god I hate stuff that doesn't use Mod Manager, someone just point me to a good preset or whatever it's called and have done with it
3) what in the name of god does this dyndolod thing actually do (that one doesn't need answering, I'm running it, duh)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 12, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, running through MO worked.

Still can't figure out windowed mode (something's gotta be overriding the enb settings in the Skyrim base folder - should I download OneTweak again or is that so 2013?)

and also can't figure out why zedit fails when I try to run the alchemy randomizer (something in CACO is giving it a null reference it seems):

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I certainly can, but first I got smart and decided to run it again and sure enough, there isn't anything special about Flax Seeds:

...which is actually worse and not better. But work with me here.

The only commonality is setting to 0. Is there not an effect with index 0? Is that something that should be excluded automatically? I mean it's hard to believe nobody else caught that, I might try just redownloading, but jeez.

e: redownload/reinstall in zedit did not fix.

edit: oh, and do I actually care about dyndolod? I'm trying out Open Cities and the alleged incompatibility between the two requiring like four steps to work around sounds like a pain in the rear end

e3: editing the ENB ini did not fix my constant non-borderless windowed mode, because it kept resetting itself, but installing https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34705?tab=description did

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 12, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cantorsdust posted:

Are you using more than 254 plugins? It will throw an error if you load more than 254 at a time. Just load the ones required for the alchemy patch.
211. I was actually sure to stay under the limit! (Kidding. I just ran outta stuff. Plus, why would it be that error then?)

(nexus is back up now)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 13, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

256 is the most numbers you can have in 2 digit hex, so it fucks up a lot of things when you go higher. I'm sure the real reason is more complicated, but if going over 255 is a problem for anything it almost certainly has to do with hex numbers.
I knew. (also the first one is indexed zero and I believe the magic number is actually hitting, not surpassing, 255)

seriously though if nobody can figure out this randomizer, shrug, guess I'm never randomizing Alchemy

time to try some Souls-rear end combat and see if I hate or love it, should be a pretty quick solve.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How can I investigate an item? I want to either know what mod its components "came" from or at least what those components are:

(it's one of the pieces of gear added by the alternate start that pops you in High Hrothgar with a bunch of complete posted a few pages ago, so I suspect it's just hardcoding using vanilla crap and that stuff's changed by caco, but we'll see)

I tried google but it's literally impossible to google |C| and have any meaningful results returned, you have to escape out the pipe characters so it isn't a regex and then you get everything with C and so on

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ThaumPenguin posted:

You could try installing More Informative Console and dropping the item on the floor. Then you'll be able to click on it and glean some information about which mods have been messing with it.
Not zero information, but less than I'd hoped:

Was expecting to see a specific breakdown beyond just "base" and "ref". Is Ref what I want?

e: as always RTFM helped, I can mouse over those [numbers] and also it's sseedit

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 13, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lker posted:

Yeah, that seems to be a vanilla item not added in by any mods. It could've been placed somewhere as part of a mod, but the item is wholly vanilla and exists in the base game. The "|a|" or "|c|" in the name part is added as part of Another Sorting Mod so that the items will always be shown in Helm>Armor>Gloves>Boots order in the inventory screen.
See, I'm fine with that! I just... didn't know that it wasn't something broken. Because it's not actually documented in ASM's page that that's how it does its thing. Sigh.

(thanks :shobon:)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My load order has 203 mods and nothing's broken except a CTD like one time in ten that I wait and smithing exp isn't working properly from some added recipes.

By my standards, holy poo poo, rousing success.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cantorsdust posted:

Hey, I've had the same issue. The only relevant mods I can tell would be Complete Crafting Overhaul Remastered and SPERG. Sometimes it will work and give me smithing XP, and sometimes I just won't get any, and I can't tell why. Anyone have experience with this?
Yeah, I have CACO and SPERG also (well, sperg and vokrii and ordinator and... because I'm running Vokriinator Black) so it's definitely the same issue. Doesn't seem to be locked to a specific forge, doesn't seem to be locked to a specific recipe, nothing. I just throw my ingots into whatever I would craft anyway, then console myself a bunch of smithing xp and call it good. Obviously not ideal, but functional.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spoggerific posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I threw them all in my modlist. I think I'll go with Ordinator over SPERG this time. The sheer number of perks is... intimidating, but it looks pretty cool.
Look, with that last sentence, I know I sound like a broken record lately, but you want Vokriinator Black. Why settle for just one perk mod when you can have most of three?

(that said I think it removed the perk that lets you make a token that's a copy of an artifact's enchantment to put on other stuff and that's sad.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spoggerific posted:

I found Vokriinator Choice Cuts in the required section of that first one, which looks like it might be what you're talking about.

What exactly does it do? Is it just a giant compilation of all the perks from SPERG, Ordinator, and a few other things? How would I ever have enough points to flesh out even part of one tree?
That's it, yeah. As for enough points, there's the Pickpocket 100 perk (from I think Ordinator) that lets you spend 50k gold for one perk point, various mods that let you trade dragon souls for perk points, but my preferred for that is the "perk points at 50-75-100" mod, which is listed under Ordinator's downloads and fully compatible - it still doesn't give you as many as you'd want, perhaps, but that's part of the fun!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
what a grand and intoxicating innocence

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pollyanna posted:

I'm playing around with a bunch of EnaiSiaion mods and :stare: Ordinator is absolutely intimidating. I might scope down to its vanilla version.
coward

The build of "Vokriinator Black" that merges perks from Ordinator, Vokrii, and SPERG is so good that I will never play without it

(...do what you want though, games are supposed to be fun :shobon:)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Burns posted:

Skyrim has some amazingly badly designed quests. Blood on the Ice (windhelm murder investigation) is just such a giant lump of poo poo and quite possibly one of the worst designed quests in any game ive ever played.
It's a real shame because the actual quest itself could have been good - the ingredients are all there, you do some detective work, you get a false lead, you stalk a killer a specific time of night - but not only is it incredibly awfully coded the quest itself is just not implemented or written in any fun way at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I would have expected "Pixar Skyrim textures" to look a lot less pretty than this actually does. It's well done, even if it's not my thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Agents are GO! posted:

Wrong. There's that dead gay couple in Solstheim.
we love our dead gay couple

(I genuinely have no idea who you mean I just had to go straight for Heathers)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Midnight Voyager posted:

Don't forget Better Courier. It's basically a perfect replacement if all you want is Provincial Mail Without Arthmoor. His office is even in the same spot, so mods that avoid it for compatibility reasons will still work just fine, and even compatibility patches that don't rely on the ESP and just move stuff away work.

(Also, it's compatible with Skald's Mail, so por que no los dos, etc)
is this compatible with the mod that turns the courier into a giant spider that runs at 500% speed

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Red Oktober posted:

I really don't get this obsession with fishing in games recently. RDR2, Hades, Nier, Far Cry 6 and now Skyrim all have some sort of fishing in them. So strange.
Nier in particular: (the tweet replying to is deleted, doesn't matter)
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/879148440818561024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Midig posted:

But one of those mods removes a gay couple in Skyrim post-mortem, which is loving weird because you probably wouldnt even know there was a dead gay couple in Skyrim to begin with.
I love my dead gay couple :colbert: