Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Getting the itch.

Are there any mods that dramatically scale back the eternal radiant quest system? I don't want constant repeating quests to go clear out this or that cave stuck in my log, and I don't want to have be wary and avoid grabbing every quest I come across. The ability to exhaust a region of quest-based content is what I'm after, to better appease my sense of being 'done' with one or another part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Yeah, I found Hide Those Futile Quests as a purple link when I tried Googling this issue after posting, so that's evidently how I solved this problem before. Was just kind of hoping there had been a development on the other side of the issue.

Edit: Excellent, there is a Special Skyrim Edition of the mod.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 17, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

And in Daggerfall, you could fail the main quest by forgetting to read a letter for a couple weeks!

(I think. I never played much of Daggerfall.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The Bee posted:

Isn't there an "essential for everyone but the player" flag? I'd set every essential to that in a heartbeat.
There is! "Protected", I think it's called. Housecarls are protected: If Lydia dies, it's your fault.

axeil posted:

The game was intended to be ported over to the Xbox and as a result everything had to be tiny. Remember the awesome Statue of Liberty map the original Deus Ex opens in? That's probably bigger than all the rest of the rooms in the game combined. Even worse, because of memory limitations the game couldn't have that many actors on screen at once. I think they had to limit it to something sily like f5.

You also had:

-Extremely long loading times between each tiny room.
-Inventory removed because the Xbox didn't have enough RAM to handle it
-Skills removed
-Universal ammo

It completely ruined the game from a "fun to play" aspect and because of how insidious it was throughout the game it wasn't as minimal as messed up keymappings but fundamentally altered how the game played.

The plot being really dumb didn't help either.
A couple points of clarification because I'm one of those handful of people on the internet who don't hate Invisible War: "intended to be ported" is a little inaccurate, it was the same simultaneous development that most games get nowadays—but which basically means "design for the weaker platform." However, the removal of skills and introduction of universal ammo was a matter of poor design decisions, not hardware limitations. Not sure if the inventory simplification (it had an inventory, just didn't have tetris) was more driven by controller limitations or a sincere desire to simplify the interface because they thought that was the better idea. The tiny zones and really restricted amount of textures (I think there's one texture that's used for all guns, just carefully applied in different ways to the different models) is absolutely a consequence of the Xbox's 64 MB of RAM, though.

If anyone's interested in seeing a conversation about Deus Ex and Invisible War, here's a video of Warren Spector and Harvey Smith talking about video game design and doing a full post-mortem of the games.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I tend to have enough other things that I'm doing that queuing up a download at their capped rate and coming back to it later isn't a bother. :shrug:

Now, two things have gotten me back into playing modding Skyrim: the release of Legacy of the Dragonborn v5, and the prospect that somegoon had made a Special Edition version of Brhuce Hammar.

Any chance I could get some help on that second item? I don't really want to start a proper game without it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Deuce posted:

And as an added bonus, it doesn't have big tiddy waifus everywhere. (although a lot of the NPCs look like models now)

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that modpacks were a mistake. They make it easier to play Skyrim, and I'm realizing I'm not entirely sure I actually like playing Skyrim.

If modding is the game, then modpacks allow you to skip the game.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

Thieves Guild for Good Guys finally released a patch to fix the whole 'completely breaking Blood on the Ice, somehow' glitch, although I'll have to wait for an alt to check if it really worked given I waited to download TGGG until after I'd done that quest this time around. I can throw my money around again!

I wondered about that. Came into Skyrim with a character at level 12 or so from doing Skygerfall and I've been just accepting that I'm going to have a ton of quests thrown at me everywhere I go, but that one was missing from Windhelm. It's been a couple years since I last played Skyrim, so I thought maybe it had special triggers I hadn't hit yet (night-time / morning, have to have something else done already, etc.). Thanks for the heads up.

edit: NOPE, that hotfix patch of theirs is from November and I downloaded the mod this past week. Oh well.

Commander Keene posted:

That's tool assistance though. Gotta submit it to a different category.
:hmmyes: This fits with my preference for non-segmented runs.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Okay, here's an irritating minor bug. I have an icon stuck on my UI, in the spot where SkyUI puts active effects. It goes away if I turn off displaying those, so it's something to do with that. It has no duration bar, persists across saving and loading, and across reinstalling SkyUI. It does not show up on other characters. I'm wondering if it's trying to display some actual effect I have (being a vampire, maybe?) that doesn't have a duration.

Example:

Any ideas?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Thank you! I sorted by duration remaining and there was one above the stuff with finite time left: the Amulet of Molag Bal, which adds Stamina/Magicka damage to my equipped weapon. When I put it on, I get a three or four second buff that runs down to zero and then just ... stays there. If I take it off, the icon goes away.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hrm. There's a Wheels of Lull Unofficial Patch, but I've done the starting stuff twice before I discovered that and never had problems like that. It sounds like the game can't properly find the dialogue sound files, as though there's a problem with the archive file.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I grabbed a copy of Brhuce Hammar out of Agents are GO!'s personal conversions Google Drive folder, and am a few steps into the quest you can get Brhuce to give you by whining at him. I'm facing two problems in Quagmire: None of the enemies seem to take damage, which might be intentional, and the game crashes straight to desktop pretty frequently. Since everything is pitch black except for the blood-soaked skeletons, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here to move on to the next outer realm.

Anybody remember the mod well enough to recommend a course of action?

edit: Posting about it helped. Loaded in again, immediately turned on godmode, turned off collision, turned off AI, then turned AI back on when my Candlelight spell wouldn't fire, and somehow ended up first finding Brhuce and then having the game max my CPU while giving me only 1-2 fps, but it was stable enough to find the portal out of Quagmire.

Skyrim!

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 25, 2020

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I always want 'needs' mods to be simulations that acknowledge my character's increasingly superhuman status. I had a nice ad hoc setup in Morrowind for a while. Forget how many mods went into this setup (two to four), but the way it worked: At low Fatigue, the screen would start darkening. Like, for every 1% under 50% Fatigue, I'd get 2pts of Blind. Or maybe for every 1% under 20%, get 5pts. Something to indicate I was running low, playing a (temporarily) exhausted character. After ... some threshold, maybe 8 hours, maybe 12 or 16, I'd get some little additional penalty to Fatigue regen, some -1pt Fatigue constant effect, representing tiredness. This would increase in magnitude every few (4?) hours. If I hit 0 Fatigue, the screen would go black and (maybe if I was also Tired at the same time?) the character could forcibly pass out and Wait some length of time until I had enough Fatigue to stand back up.

Here's the thing. Base Fatigue regen in Morrowind is 2.5 + (0.02 * Endurance) per second. If you have 50 Endurance, and have a 3pt Drain Fatigue effect on, you're still regenerating Fatigue, just ... slower. A lot slower. But if you have 150 Endurance, and maybe a constant effect Restore Fatigue artifact, 3pts of Drain Fatigue is a noticeable inconvenience that you can ignore at will. You only get driven to sleep after days of adventuring, and can easily keep yourself topped up with potions. Maybe you start to forget about it after a couple weeks, only to have a brief slip up in your potion regimen and conk out right in the middle of the marketplace.

For Skyrim, I've just seen stuff that's like ... "You need to eat every 8 hours." Or, "If you're a vampire you just need blood and sleep." I want a vampire whose needs for food/water/sleep are baseline normal when Sated, but completely suspended when Blood Starved. I want those needs to somehow respect the character becoming superhuman, but I don't think there's enough of an underpinning to Skyrim for that to be supported.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Hard mode: use a modpack and then spend 12 hours surgically removing the bits you don’t like
:hmmyes:
Splice multiple packs together to create your own custom difficulty.

Pyrotoad posted:

IIRC Blood on the Ice only triggers after a certain number of trips to the Windhelm world-space. Fast-travel to the Windhelm stables from Whiterun and back a couple times, see if that kicks it off.
In other news, Blood On the Ice has triggered for me. Wasn't trying hard to get it to start, but glanced at the cemetery and noticed the blood, so I picked it up. Time to leave that murder unsolved as I continue decorating my museum and seeing what Brhuce as for me ...

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

timn posted:

A subtle clue for me that this was occurring is if I click and drag the mouse to rotate the 3d model on the load screen and see that the rotation looks choppy due to the low locked FPS.

You can do that?

[loads up Skyrim]

You can do that! :aaaaa:

First time since the game came out that I even tried. It's a loading screen, that means I rest my hands back.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

This is a question for those familiar with the Creation Kit. Can moon phases be modified? Can they be modified independently? A Matter of Time can show moon phases and it just reminds me that Masser and Secundus are always the same phase. It'd be nice to have them wandering out of phase with each other.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

timn posted:

As much as I dread the surprise "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON" with each new game, the original VA's performance is admittedly pretty on brand for the character.

I didn't really know who Meridia was the first time I played Skyrim. Morrowind had taught me only seven or eight princes* and I didn't realize how many more there were. Her VA work is great, and powerfully established the character in my mind. Especially at the end, when you can say "Look lady, I'll take the sword but I'm not the prophet of your new religion" and she responds calmly and warmly, saying that just wielding the sword out in public is enough.

*The Tribunal and the Four Corners of the House of Troubles, plus Hircine, whose deal I wasn't clear on back then.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Having an odd and irritating problem. Unfinished quests are disappearing from my journal. I suspect the issue is that there's some maximum number of quests that'll be displayed, and since I have a ton of completed quests, they're pushing the in-progress quests off the list. I believe the quest stages are all fine and I can continue to do stuff, it's just the journal display that's messed up.

Mildly concerned that as I continue to complete quests, I'll end up not being able to display any in-progress quests at all.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm not sure if there's a way to hide completed quests from the journal, and maybe just hiding them wouldn't work (compared to removing them somehow).

fake edit: I just counted and I have about 180 completed quests in my journal. If there's some display cap of 256 quests, I could be steadily approaching that. (Including incomplete quests I'm only at 205 or so, but I expect there are some invisible quests being by mods for tracking purposes, and I have a few quests hidden using Hide Those Futile Quests, but not enough to actually hit 256.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

My condolences.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I don't think so. Full modlist here. Notably, when I look at Hide Those Futile Quest's MCM page, it is also missing the quests that have fallen off the main journal page. Turning the mod off doesn't change anything in the main journal (aside from un-hiding a few quests). I think the problem's earlier in the chain than that:

1. Quests I've started.
2. That're displayed in the journal.
3. Which are then filtered by Hide Those Futile Quests.

The problem's in step 2. I've found a few threads online of people talking about the issue, but nothing helpful. One thread blamed the problem on Simpler Knock, which I don't have. (I do have Simply Knock, and don't care much about it one way or the other, so I could try removing it.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Uh, so, about that.

You know how Sacrosanct gives you +1 to your stats for each person you straight-up drain?

I've been wondering if named corpses ever disappear in Skyrim or if Vilja's going to keep just lying there in the Safehouse followers' room.

I'll give save cleaning a try.

edit: I mean the worst that happens is I just wander around Skyrim without any idea what I'm doing. It'll be like Morrowind, but with screaming and shield bashing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The question, I think, is if she's well-regarded by goons, who are known to be handsome and discerning internet connoisseurs.

edit: Speaking of, I found a waifu riekling mod that I just have to share: Dana'Ka and Sisters

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 28, 2020

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Isn't that the other perk overhaul by EnaiSiaion?

No, that's Vokrii.

Agents are GO! posted:

I just got a ps4 and of course I bought skyrim for it I have a disease
There there.
There there.
:sympathy:

I avoid game duplication by having my PS4 plugged into my computer monitor, but it is primarily just a Bloodborne machine, because, well. I own five different Dark Souls just on Steam. I know how it goes.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Is there a Skyrim mod that'll let me write on things with a stick of chalk? This Morrowind mod does that and it's great for leaving notes to myself, as well as figuring out navigation in a mildly confusing ruin. It'd be nice to not be glancing back at the map routinely, and check my own floor/wall notes instead.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

It's not really a concern in normal Skyrim dungeons, but I've been in a few mod-added spaces that're more maze-like and involve a decent amount of backtracking. (Most recently an Ayleid ruin added by Tools of Kagrenac.) It'd be great to glance and see my own X or arrow or DEAD END marks. Moving corpses is a bit tedious, and then you only get the message "corpse / no corpse" (or maybe "corpse / no corpse / flaming corpse"), and have to remember what each signifies, instead of actually writing a note.

Maybe I could get a note-writing mod and leave loose pages on the ground? Still not as good as chalk.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

I just had an epiphany and looked up a graffiti mod. This is an oldrim mod, but if you use a nif optimizer you can get the textures to work in SE and I think that might be just the thing. Plus I guess you can use your own pictures, so you can spray paint a Counter Strike terrorist or anime or whatever you want!

That's a good idea! Thanks. In other news, the game is taunting me and my desire to write on walls:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

wow, fixing dark and brown skinned characters to make them look "normal" are we

I normally call it the blackface bug, and only see it affecting Nord or Imperial characters. Never seen it on a Dunmer.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

For me, it's almost always vampires. I was mistaken earlier, actually, and meant to say Nord or Breton characters. I most often see it when I stop by Castle Volkihar, and never on any of the elves there. Sadly, it also tends to affect Sybille Stentor (though it sort of looks like she just has a really dark shadow inside her hood at first), who is a character I like. I've been mentally modeling it as: Nords are racists, Sybille is just engaging in a regional cultural practice that looks really weird and bad to Americans.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Gray Cowl of Nocturnal is well-constructed but poorly designed and relies on Oblivion nostalgia. I respect it, even if I dislike it. It's a huge blob of 'fine'.

Falskaar is terrible. Its plot is about the rejection and renunciation of power. It offers you no choices, and requires you to sit through interminable self-important conversations of the utmost mediocrity.

Falskaar is the anti-Saints Row, and I hate it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Immersive College of Winterhold felt too dense for me. It just adds a lot of stuff that makes the college more cramped. Some of it's cool, but there was a lot less quest-type stuff than I was expecting. (Like, I don't think there was any?) It mostly looked kind of cool and made the college more difficult to navigate, without adding anything much of value.

Note: It makes the Arch-mage's quarters into an elaborate base to operate out of, which was irrelevant to me because I was using Legacy of the Dragonborn and had a superior safehouse. If you want a one-stop all-you-need house, ICoW's Arch-mage quarters are decent.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Qwezz posted:

I never got "coc riverwood" or others like that to work in my game. since I think Riverwood is a whole zone of multiple cells and not just one. if I use for example "coc riverwood sleepinggiantinn" it works and ports me to the inn since that is an interior cell in Riverwood. same like "coc solitude" doesn't work but "coc solitude thewinkingskeever" does.

Weird. I know that's true for a lot of places, but Riverwood has always worked for me as a single-name cell. A tip for everybody: You can do, iirc, 'help riverwood' and it'll list everything in the game that has riverwood in the name, letting you find the specific cells you're looking for.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

There are big displays that get turned on once you've completed the questlines, which I think is what A Sometimes Food is asking about.

Look in the museum menu in the MCM. There are some options, I think, for forcing certain displays on.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Buckle up, dragonborn.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I think its pretty loving hilarious that every problem that I and others pointed out about modpacks pretty much came true with Wabbajack.

"I wish I could just have a one-click install modpack."
"OK here's a wabbajack list."
"Not like that."

"Why aren't there Skyrim modpacks?"
"Because so many modders are incredibly whiny and hate the idea and also, Skyrim modpacks don't make sense."
"You sound like one of those whiny modders."
"But I'm right!"
:goonsay:

(I say, agreeing with you on modpacks.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

So I just heard about a mod called SkyComplete that tracks all the quests in the game. Seems like it would go perfectly with Legacy of the Dragonborn. However the mod author threw a big hissyfit and took it offline.

Does anybody have this mod or know where I can get it? There are instructions online for converting it to Skyrim SE compatibility but the original files aren't there.

This Steam Community thread has a link to a Google Drive folder with it.

Found by just searching online for 'SkyComplete' and clicking links.

Sadly, the thread on LoversLab was just someone talking about the mod and then linking to the Nexus.

I really wanted to send you to LoversLab for the mod.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I have a lot of experience with Legacy but I forget the names it gives to some things. There are two overlapping book systems, I think:

Books that are out on display are display items, same as daedric artifacts, and need to be handled similarly. Either find their specific display spot and put them there, or use the display prep chest near Auryen's office.

Books that don't have display spots have a cool system. You drop them all into the Book Return (I think?) and then sort them. This sends them to bookshelf containers, sorted by title. Those containers are, like, Books A-G, Books H-M, etc. Then, there's another 'sort'-like operation (cataloguing?), which (iirc) takes a long time to actually execute, but once that's done you get the second feature of the library: When you sit down in the library, all the books in the library are added to your inventory for easy reading. When you get up, they're removed. That way, you don't have to wander the halls hunting for a book once it's sorted and catalogued.

That second system will take multiple copies of each book, and will take books from mods Legacy doesn't know about, so if it's working properly the book return should (I think?) empty out. Note that 'sorting', in the second system, is done by activating the bookshelves next to the book return in the library, not by using the normal museum's display sort.

I believe there's an ingame explanation of this somewhere that I had to read a couple times before it clicked. Maybe on the table at the lowest level of the library?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Bittorrent started in 2005, Morrowind came out in 2002

Wikipedia tells me BitTorrent's initial release was in 2001.

I still remember using eMule to download music in 2003-04, though. Not sure when I started torrenting.

Anybody have Wrye's parlour vs. cathedral post handy? (I'm always staggered when people say they're parlour-type modders. :psyduck:)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I remember being struck by that part of the story when I played it, and explaining to a friend:

There aren't any gay people in Skyrim.
There aren't any straight people in Skyrim.

Leaving aside where the character story goes (for the best), just doing the rounds of the town and meeting A Gay Person introduces the concept of sexual orientation, which was previously completely absent.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, but that's voluntary and you (obviously) knew it'd be there! It's the difference between putting on your favorite podcast while you're exploring some ruin, and coming across a ruin whose soundtrack is an episode of some random podcast.

I understand your complaint, but now you've given me this idea and it sounds kind of rad. A game where podcasts are broadcast on short range radio in the gameworld, or blared from loudspeakers. Have the game set up to stream actual podcasts from some curated list for each ingame location.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wasn't every CC House basically a courier running up to you saying "Congrats you now have a fully furnished mansion that also has a teleporter built into it which not even the College of Winterhold has", which might be a bit jarring when you start a new playthrough and get told this right after you escaped Helgen

Oblivion was amazing about that. I was still in the sewers during the intro, getting pop-ups about how I'd just gotten a letter delivered by courier that my old uncle who I barely remembered had passed away and left me his mansion in his will. There were like four or five of those in a row. (Not all dead uncles with decrepit mansions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Even respawns where I lose my gear (alternate death mod) aren't a big deal anymore because most of my power is in my spells.

Maybe the first time I enjoyed the Cidhna Mine questline was when I had a bit more spells than usual, and when I'd realized it was one of the handful of Skyrim quests that actually does offer a branching choice:

Revenge solves everything.