Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh just load it in the new CK and save, someone said

someone was full of poo poo :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Decus posted:

Don't act like you didn't already know that! If it were so simple the game could've done it automagically and they would've touted full mod support for real instead of in their usual cagey sort of way that turned out to be lies.

it's Bethesda, of course :v:

I have no idea what the CK is doing. or what I'm doing in the CK. that doesn't help :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 31, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Trustworthy posted:

I feel like I'm starting Skyrim SE off on the wrong foot when the second mod I install is to fix dumb bullshit from the first mod I installed. :smith:

actually this is the best introduction to modding a Bethesda game. It only gets better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) from here

I mean it's mods all the way down

e: speaking of Mod Organizer 2, I've been vaguely following the github commits and there is, at least, one person trying to push a functional MO2 for Skyrim SE out - from what I'm reading odds are good it'll happen eventually, but good software usually isn't developed overnight. Honestly as long as they can give me a working VFS the rest is something I can work around.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, auto downloads rely on Nexus being slightly less hammered than it currently is. That goes for MO and NMM both, so download manually and install manually through Mod Organizer for the time being.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I was surprised at how incredibly easy it was to set up and the difference is really significant. It's a great mod, use it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FutonForensic posted:

I'm not sure if I would consider Open Cities all that necessary. It takes me like half a second to load into the cities now, and the mod requires more compatibility patches than any other mod I've seen.

I agree with Futon; it's a nice thing if you want to commit to never changing anything else about cities ever, but it's a giant mess of compatibility hell waiting to happen. And we all know everyone's mod lists are going to expand as more mods get ported or developed for SE.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

I add tentatively because everything's in a loose file rather than a BSA which makes installation take for loving ever.

Couldn't you just pack it into a BSA yourself?

my guess is they're running into the same CK BSA packing issue I did. By default the CK tries to make you create a Mod.bsa and ModTextures.bsa; this fucks up and fails because reasons. But if you run the BSA creator program yourself, outside the CK, and pack everything into one BSA - so you have modname.esp and modname.bsa, and that's it, it works just fine.

why the CK defaults to making multiple BSAs for a single mod is Bethesda :shrug: at its peak, but go into your SSE dir and somewhere in there is a tools subfolder with the appropriate BSA packing program. Archive.exe maybe?

e: for the record I love the recent saga of your posting being "I installed 150 mods and it all worked, nice" followed by a chain of mod-related fuckups :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 7, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

lurksion posted:

Oh yeah that's really bright. Way too bright for me.

My screenshots always show brighter out-of-game than what they look like in-game, so it could be a case of just adjusting your brightness to taste.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Open Cities is bad :colbert:

like not in concept, but it's one of those cases where Bethesda made a decision that was, on balance, the correct one

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Compatibility issues with too many other mods. If your modlist is short, go for it, but if you start getting into it, "I think it's a problem with Open Cities" is something you see posted a looooooot. It's not the mod's function at fault, it's what you have to do to the gameworld in exchange. It breaks a lot of assumptions for other modders.

Same thing with Strip Open / Freeside Open in FNV, whatever the Open Fallout 3 was, Oblivion, whatever. Any mod which touches city cells - which is a lot of them - is probably going to puke on open city-style mods.

and i'll take your word on it the SSE version is stable and performs well because that certainly wasn't the case in the good old days of "doesn't know how to address more than 2GB RAM natively" Bethesda era - so yes, cell splitting for stability was the right call on Bethesda's part. If that's different in SSE, that's good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

A while ago I found a mod through either this thread or the last that gave you a spell that basically created a container that contained one of each item added by each ESP that you have loaded, so you could basically grab stuff from your mods without having to find the refids and console them in. I'm doing a fresh install and completely forgot the name of this mod and really want it.

AddItemMenu does this, and it's pretty great. Dunno if it exists for SSE, it's probably SKSE-as-gently caress considering

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There must be some combination of mods to make combat fun.

playing a different game could, technically, be considered modding Skyrim

(okay it really can't)

but the fundamentals of how Skyrim does combat are pretty boring, so there's really no way a mod can polish that up. start with poo poo, mod it to be slightly better poo poo... but it's still poo poo.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dawnguard's worst failing is the inability to shortcut most of the DLC by not letting me attack Harkon and his entire castle the very first time you went there with Serana.

"one of me and many of them" pffft Isran shouldn't accept that excuse and neither do I

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

The Skyrim SE Nif Optimizer owns. Just converted a couple of armors that weren't working. Now they work perfectly.

tell me more, and does it work for character nifs or just armors?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Give it a shot man, it's just drag and drop (keep a backup.)

I used it to convert the Aetherium arms and Armor and Deadly Serious Shrouded Armor. No obvious problems as of yet.

Off-topic: I didn't realize that the Tribunal Masks from Immersive Armors had Beast Race friendly models. Awesome.

quote:

Use the head parts option on ONLY head parts, without exception!

Sounds promising. Cool, I'll check it out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rinkles posted:

What's the most convenient house? Haafinheim is neat but I don't want a loading screen between house sections. I want something compact with all the crafting stations nearby. I wouldn't mind it all being outside, if such a base exists.

There are some housemods which exist in the Skyrim worldspace so no need for a second loadscreen. I haven't used it but I've had Roadside Ruins recommended to me: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19228/

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

As always, Uncle Sheo sums up Dawnguard quite well:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hollow Talk posted:

I didn't know until now that there was an updated (or rather, extended?) version for the legendary edition. :eyepop:

(http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66372/)

I remember hearing the Legendary Uncle Sheo lines weren't as good as the originals but that one's amazingly on target. I mean drat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

KakerMix posted:

*frantically hides sexlab from installation before posting load order asking for help*

it's okay KakerMix, we can help you with your mod problems. Which SL mods are giving you a :ocelot: hard time :ocelot:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Transmetropolitan posted:

Gonna try different MO profiles, see if that solves the issue. Thanks!

It will. Check the 'local saves' option. I have many profiles set up in MO this way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cabal is busy with real life things, last I heard, but they were working with somebody on AMB. Not sure if it was Skyrim updates or SSE conversions, I'd have to check.

also I doubt many, if any, AMB textures are out of spec, so they should just be drop-in and go.

KakerMix posted:

FINALLY the biggest reason of all

It's not even requiring blanket permissions. There's a very simple Y/N checkbox when uploading a file which says "allow people to port this to other games y/n?" -- if anything, SSE is kind of unprecedented. I imagine a lot of people who checked the no box were assuming it was something like "can I port this skyrim mod to dark souls" instead of "can I port this Skyrim mod to Skyrim 2: HD Boogaloo" and :shrug:

what I wonder is if you could get away with something like just uploading an SSE ESP or maybe just the changed meshes -- the absolute minimum required and no other files and saying "this mod requires you to install [whatever the Oldrim source mod is]" or whether that too would get axed by Nexus. it'd probably be a good starting position?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 9, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Depending on what cell you're loading into, and more specifically what mods you've got, it could be hitting a Skyrim memory limit (or whatever) and crashing out. qasmoke is a really basic cell so it doesn't push anything hard.

Skyrim is more stable in-game going from cell to cell than it is loading a cell from scratch, so this kinda thing can happen. :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

So my main goal in getting Skyrim modded was so I tackle the expansions and clear them off my backlog. Are there any mods that add to or improve aspects for Dawnguard/Dragonborn? I remember someone saying that Dragonborn was frustrating because the map's not helpful or something along those lines.

Dragonborn's worldspace is small enough you don't really need the map either way, but I use a Quality Worldmap or whatever because it's great. Very useful Dawnguard mods include disabling stupid vampire attacks in cities (because they're stupid) and then not playing it until you're really bored.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I thought several of the Dawnguard environments looked nice. And that's about it. Blackreach is top of the list, it's good.

The quests are sloggy nonsense but I used a lot of console commands :ssh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Deified Data posted:

It's mostly been in Whiterun and the surroundings.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console

scroll down to fw <formid> for force weather, write down a few IDs and make it happen yourself

I believe all the ones suffixed with _A will have auroras at night. Not sure about the other suffixes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Is there a console command to pull the current weather code? I tried getweather but it wouldn't take. I can use sw/fw just fine -- but those don't help, I want to see the current weather ID, not change it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

Are there any mods that add the Dark Souls armor sets to Skyrim? I tried searching the Nexus, but I couldn't find any.

I imagine that type of thing would never go on nexus because someone else's IP. Unless the DS guys are as cool as CDProjekt about Witcher assets, which I dunno.

e: I should say I have seen some DS armor but it's hosted on baidu so enjoy never downloading it even though it technically exists

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 1, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe you need to run the regular Skyrim launcher through steam once before any modding to get things rolling correctly but that could be total bullshit :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I dropped by Nexus and was highly amused to see nerd of prey's ironic joke sexy follower mod is in the running for file of the month. It's being beaten 3:1 by what is most likely an unironic sexy follower mod featuring a catgirl.

:laugh:

e: I could not have made a better and/or worse 69th post in this thread, considering

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 10, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I very specifically didn't mention what else is in the running for FOTM because it's along similar lines and it is also not okay

:negative:

(e: actually I don't see that mod in HF. Either it's been demoted by an HD firewood retexture or I already blocked that author for being a creepo, hah)

Soonmot posted:

Was this the sassy teen girl mod? I loved having a sassy skeleton buddy.

no, it's The Erotic Adventures of Misty Skye. i was thinking that name was a bit too on-the-nose for Nexus but then I read the description and saw the upload date and figured it out pretty fast. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 10, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

KakerMix posted:

because the same dumb community rigidly stuck with their 32bit EXEs because every person in the world eventually turns into the old dude saying 'WELL BACK IN MY DAY'.

I'm not going to disagree with your take on the mod community but I am going to point out that when SSE came out, Legendary had years of improvements and a much more robust mod scene. We're in the modding thread - that's not a completely irrelevant point to make. I'm sure many people were cranky old gamers yelling at 64-bits to get off their lawn, but there are real and genuine reasons for modders to stick to Legendary instead of SE.

even now anyone doing graphics mods has to put up with SE's better base engine but much worse ENB support, script modders have to...well, write Legendary mods instead of SE because lmao skse, etc. Personally I'd love to move to SE but I've already played Skyrim. now I just try mods, change things about mods in the CK, pretend I'm going to learn how to write my own mods, etc, and that means sticking with Legendary until the SE toolchain is up to par :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Knowlue posted:

I've gotten the sudden urge to replay Skyrim. Have all the quintessential mods been ported to Skyrim SE? I'm not looking to mod the poo poo out of the game but just the important must haves

If you're not looking to mod the poo poo out of it, SE has all the essentials and you can probably make kakermix port anything else :v:

there are still reasons to stick with Legendary but they don't apply to your situation at all. go SE, enjoy the benefits.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Mator Smash is not ready for primetime, but wrye bash isn't either. Make a tes5edit merged patch.

I've been using mator's mod merge program instead of tes5edit to merge patches and I like it so far. Have you tried it?

Although - I'm probably using it for different reasons than a tes5edit merged patch; I'm just collapsing groups of mods into single ESPs to make my load order less of an impossible hellscape. Stuff like environment mods into one merge, texture/mesh mods into another, all the basic building blocks I put in every MO profile. I'd rather have to check "All aMidianBorn Stuff Merged" in MO instead of 16 different checkboxes, that kind of thing.

it will also, eventually, let me pretend I don't have hundreds and hundreds of mods installed! :v:

Kiggles posted:

This is true, but for anyone checking it out, be aware that the quest, while interesting, is super tedious with a ton of back and forth through fairly tough respawning NPCs

Yeah, it's got some long walks, but I think it's definitely worth looking into. I didn't have trouble with the enemies like you did but there is a lot of wandering around. I imagine if the NPCs were super tough for me I would've been more frustrated too. In some cases I just sprinted past because why bother knocking them down when you can just go by and exit to a different cell where they won't follow? Useful when exiting back up to the surface, for example.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 31, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, I think you're right. Getting confused between merged plugins and bash/smash/merged patches. but apparently merge plugins used to be a tes5edit script so maybe that's why I was. :confused:

like I get the difference, in theory, just toooooooooo many tools

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You only need one waifu, Agents :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

If you tcl through the bullshit parts, what happens?

As long as you complete the quest triggers it should be fine. Like there's a Repair A Steam Pipe thing where it says find x repair bits and then use them on y spots, if you wanted to you could just console in the appropriate number of repair bits or whatever you need and slap them all in the right places instead of finding them. Or look up the quest stages and advstage them, but :effort:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kiggles posted:

Yeah. We've been talking about it incorrectly. It's The Forgotten City,

It's pretty good, yeah. It really rewards you for trying something out "I wonder if..." style. Any mod which encourages you to think outside the box and then doesn't punish you for getting inventive is a good mod.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RobotDogPolice posted:

I copy/pasted the ENB files into my directory, in addition to a preset I liked, but nothing has happened. What did I gently caress up? I'm using Mod Manager, but as far as I know ENB and SKSE need to be pasted into the games directory.

1) get ENB files from boris' site (d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe) and put in skyrim main folder, not data
2) get preset from wherever, put in skyrim main folder, not data.
3) question your life choices so far
4) configure your enblocal.ini according to STEP
4a) relevant to configuring that - if you're on Windows 10, the Fall update should fix the 4GB memory limit, so if you want to opt into Insiders and get it now, have fun running a beta version of your OS

If everything works, you should see a splash text in the upper left corner when you launch to the main menu talking about enb version ___ and your detected video card. If you don't see this, you probably put your files in the wrong place

if you see an ENB-specific error message, you only put some of the files in the wrong place!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

wormil posted:

So it's the followers using up memory.

Your freezing issues are entirely on another level, but I wanted to touch on this point because you're absolutely correct that followers hit your resources (vram, etc) harder than you might think. If you ever see someone who's carefully posed 3497 followers from individual follower mods into a screenshot, the game probably crashed 300 times in the process. Also, you should probably block them.

Unlike the PC and all vanilla NPCs, which share a single set of body meshes and textures (whether the default the game comes with or a replacer you installed), which is nice and memory efficient, followers are usually standalone. Which means while they may use the same body mesh or texture set you already use, they don't share it. They're targeting their own, standalone version. Which means you're now loading twice the meshes/texture sets whenever you're in the same cell, and this is compounded by a lot of people thinking 8.8.8 uncompressed is the only format to save their 8K skin textures in.

there are a bunch of things you could do to reduce this load, from the easy to the absurd but since it only matters when you're in the same cell as a follower and they all have their own consequences, ehhhhhhhhhh just don't install 437 followers at once :shrug:

although again, your problems point to another root cause and not followers so this is sort of a tangential post at best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh good, you're here. My answer to "how to make an SSE modlist" was "make kakermix do it for you," so hey Duzzy Funlop, here's your chance!