Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

orange juche posted:

Everyone calls it the 'Slab though.

its Sex-Nexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Seashell Salesman posted:

What is the current opinion of PerMa? I watched some review videos but they are pretty old and meanwhile it looks like the mod has been updated until recently.

I've been using it, it's arguably better than SPERG, but it's a huge hassle because it needs lots of patches, plus you have to recreate a java patch for it every time you change your load order, and it takes like an hour if you have a lot of mods.

It spices up the game, but SPERG is fine and a lot less work. I'll probably switch back.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

wormil posted:

Good point. Had more trouble with that mod than all other mods combined.
Rigmor is cool but the mod just doesn't play well with others. I've gotten it to work by loading it last and playing through it before starting the main quest, and even then I had to keep a cheat sheet of "setstage rigmorquest xx"" console codes because it's so easy to mess up the quest triggers (the most common ones can be found on the mods Nexus page forum). It pretty much requires its own dedicated profile/playthrough.

Rigmor's author posted:

Best played with a new game on a new profile. Leave your followers at home. Avoid mod "overhauls" that alter NPC ai. Avoid mods that alter Pale Pass border region. Bring a horse or use the ones provided. Don't fast travel unless the quest log says it's safe to do so. Play the quest from start to finish.
..and they're not kidding

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Does anyone know what mods should be added to a Mator Smash patch? Some mods are obviously Bash tagged, but most aren't and you never know where a mod conflict will pop up. I just throw every mod into a patch and let Smash deal with it, that seems to work well but just doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

As great as Frostfall is, I've had to get rid of it in favor of Hypothermia. Hypothermia seems to handle exposure well enough, doesn't need Cold and Wet, and even works with Campfire. I'd prefer Frostfall, it has a more detailed coverage system, but seems too fragile and script heavy when you start piling on the mods.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Gyshall posted:

You can do this with Smashed Patch:

Thanks! That seems to work a lot better than just relying on the bashed tags

Agents are GO! posted:

^ ^ ^
That should be linked in the OP, GunnerJ.

I've never seen a really comprehensive step-by-step for the entire "install Skyrim -> install MO -> install mods -> [?] -> play Skyrim" process. I'd like to make one, putting together all my how-to.txt files. I applied to the goon wiki but it looks dead. Is it worth putting any effort into?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I play the game first person with Enhanced Camera, but it becomes instinctive to use the mouse wheel to zoom out to get "situational awareness" now and then, especially when traveling or trying to find stuff obscured by foliage.

Does anyone here use Mod Organizer v2 with LE? Work on MO seems to have stopped, it's been "almost done" for months now. I know some people use the MO v2 beta with SSE, I'm wondering if it works well with LE and if so, if there's any differences worth upgrading.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

MO is not going to be updated, Nexus hired the dude to remake NMM.

Yeah, but the almost-finished MO2 is still out there

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Sir Potato posted:

ModOrganizer is coming up with no order or incompatibility warnings or errors, and the only one it is popping up with is saying I have things in my Overwrite folder which I don't entirely understand.

It's the least of your worries, but the simplest to fix. At the very end of your mod list is a line called "overwrite", that's basically MO's temp folder. It's for dynamically created files (like FNIS animation files).

In Windows, make an empty folder in MO's Mods folder called "OvWr" or something. Open MO. OvWr will appear in the mod list as an empty mod. Drag it to the end of your mods next to Overwrite, double-click Overwrite, then drag and drop its contents onto OvWr. The "files in overwrite" alert will go away. Make sure OvWr is checked and at the end of your mod order, and keep it there. Whenever you run a patcher or FNIS, open Overwrite and drag the contents to OvWr... MO will remind you.

Every decent MO guide says "dont leave files in Overwrite, I'm not loving kidding". I'm not sure why, I never had a problem, but it's simple enough to fix so why not.

Now lets get SKSE squared away

Sir Potato posted:

When I search for an SKSE folder, the only one I see it in is under Documents>My Games>Skyrim>SKSE. I don't see anywhere a folder that goes Data>SKSE. But that wouldn't fix the instant quit problem I assume.

Are you sure SKSE is installed? Download skse_1_07_03.7z and dump the contents to your main Skyrim folder. That should put the .exe and .dlls in the main Skyrim directory, and create Skyrim>Data>SKSE.

Now that SKSE is installed...

Sir Potato posted:

I searched further and found a mod called SafetyLoad that was supposed to fix the problem.
Forget Safety Load, it's included in newer crash fix mods, so lets put those to work:

- Download SKSE Plugin Preloader, you'll have to do it manually. Save "D3DX9_42 - Wrapper v3-75795-3.zip" somewhere. Open it in Windows. Drag out "d3dx9_42.dll" and drop it into your Games>Skyrim directory.

- Download Crash Fixes. It fixes a shitzillion crash-causing bugs. Go to the Nexus files page, click "Download With Manager", then let MO install it like any other mod. MO will automatically place SKSE plugins in the proper directory. Put it early in your load order (right after DLC and USLEEP). Its Nexus page says "To use the memory patch, open CrashFixPlugin.ini, find UseOSAllocators=0, change it to UseOSAllocators=1". To do that, double-click on Crash Fixes in the mods list to open an info window and go to the "INI-Files" file tab. You can click on and edit CrashFixPlugin.ini directly from there, the UseOSAllocators entry is right after the first comments. Don't forget to hit the "save" button afterwards.

- Now to run Skyrim, launch "skse_loader.exe" from inside of MO (ALWAYS do EVERYTHING from inside of MO, if possible). Good luck.

If it STILL crashes on load, as a last resort install Load Game CTD Fix. It takes a LOT longer to load a saved game with this running, so be patient and give it a few minutes after the screen goes blank. It solves some CPU issues by essentially loading your save game twice, thus takes a lot longer to start the game.

Even if none of this works, you've narrowed list of possible CTD causes waaaay down

edit: When I say Games>Skyrim, I mean the directory where the actual Skyrim game is, like c:/Games/Skyrim/, not a "/Documents/My Games/Skyrim/" folder. MO doesn't touch that one.

edit2: Anyone installing Skyrim:LE and using Mod Manager should do the above, because you'll want SKSE and the fixes no matter what. "Load Game CTD Fix" is the only optional part.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 9, 2017

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

pmchem posted:

Anyone notice something particularly terrible hiding in there? I basically just went through and grabbed the most downloaded/endorsed mods on nexus from the past year, with some guidance curated from the OP. LOOT'd, SSEEdit, and Wrye'd it. Looking forward to rolling with all of Enai Siaion's mods. Getting Interesting NPCs installed was a total pain.

Skyrim LE here, but I just today uninstalled 3DNPC after using it for years because it runs an insane number of scripts, and like you said it's a puzzle getting it installed and keeping mods compatible. It also cured some script errors like williamtellarrow that I'd always been getting. It seems like the biggest script/string hog around, and while it's cool, it's not that cool. It probably can't be helped since it adds a zillion npcs and followers, but if you have papyrus overload or save bloat with a ton of mods, it might be best to drop that one to make things easy for other script-heavy mods like Ordinator, Vilja, Frostfall etc. OBIS was another good but problematic mod in Oldrim.

But if it all runs fine, then that's a nice greatest hits list.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dongattack posted:

My problem with it is that once i saw how dramatic and impactful it could be with a good ENB and weather overhaul mod, i couldn't play without

A good weather overhaul doesn't make-or-break the game but does more for immersion than just about anything besides ENB itself. My vcard can't even handle ENB but True Storms takes things from "huh its raining" to actually feeling damp and miserable and desperate to get indoors, and adding a few others like Minty's Lightning (might want to tone that down from the "wrath of God" default settings) can result in a truly Night on a Bald Mountain experience. Nothing like noticing it suddenly getting dark and overcast and starting to sprinkle and thinking oh poo poo.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dawn of Skyrim - Directors Cut is another option. It's script-free, and is even compatible with ETaC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Maybe its just sour grapes on my part, but reading through the description of survival mode, it only takes a couple console commands and a few Chesko-like mods like Hypothermia and iNeed or Realistic Needs & Diseases to get all of those features. It'd be nice to have them integrated into the game because that would presumably make them more stable and mod compatible, but I'd think a decent SKSE64 would be way more important. SKSE has no substitute and Bethesda is never going to make one.

A quick and dirty survival challenge is to use the console to join the Forsworn faction and go feral. Might want to wait 'till after the shout quest though, unless you're using a clothing-as-disguise mod too. Tons of fun on top of survival mods and a food removal mod like You Hunger. It's weird feeling ignoring almost all loot because the only things you want are things you can eat, drink, or wear.