Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Avenging Dentist posted:

Absolutely everything about this product makes me laugh:

The Deathwatch Corvus Blackstar

A name only George Lucas could love

Cos I'm an idiot I kinda like it. But it's fuckin' $130 NZD for 1 model that probably costs like 150 points. And that is the thing with GW, I can buy entire armies for that price if a Death Watch army was only this thing, 5 guys and a HQ then cool but it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

Still significantly worse deal than literally any other company on the market, including one man metal casting operations in Russia.

:captainpop:

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
gently caress me. This bundle is 50 pounds

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Tempestus-Scions-Kill-Team

The start collecting box is 50 pounds...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/start-collecting-militarum-tempestus

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Sir Teabag posted:

So is that better/worse/the same as buying the boxes individually?

Also lol at releasing kill team. It was fun as an appendix to forth ed but Sci-fi skirmish games have come a loving long way since then.

The top one costs the same but comes without a second squad and a commissar.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Bitch more about those prices.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Spotted at the university I work at.

Age of Skubmar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Want some bad rear end babes? I can tell they are female, don't have boobie armour (ww2 obviously) and could stand in for Imperial Guard pretty easy.

https://thedicebaglady.net/bad-squiddo-games-command-officer-medic-radio/

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
I'm sorry.

"You wanna jam in as many Bloodsecrators, Bloodstokers, Bloodpriests and Bloodgrinders in as possible."

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Ilor posted:

Not so! In Chain of Command, the Soviets are pretty good. Their infantry is a little bit unwieldy (Soviet doctrine treated the squad as the smallest unit of fire-and-maneuver, rather than fireteams within a squad like the other armies), but their tanks are good and their artillery barrages are loving awesome. They also have the cheapest sniper teams in the game, again reflecting the importance Soviet doctrine placed on sharpshooters.

Soviets in Bolt Action are sweet. Free rifle squad (they suck but having 12 rifles is not a bad thing) and have the potential to become regular. Some of their lists allow you to field dual artillery and it doesn't feel gamey. The 3 for 1 anti teams means you can infiltrate small veteran teams with SMG's and panzerfausts in silly numbers. Heavy tanks they have are brutal, tank riders are nifty. Their special rules are very situational, if a unit needs to roll for morale it's usually going to be ineffective either way and the bombardment rule is not amazing.

Early war you have so many crazy options like Commissars, dog mines and don't forget they have a massive armoured boat for river scenarios that ignores it's first penetrating hit.

But yeah CoC they are odd as balls.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

Didn't the Soviet dog-mines backfire horribly in real life or have I been led astray?

Most definitely and the rules reflect that. Afterwords dogs were usually shot on sight by German soldiers. Watched a short clip of AT training in Germany have to dig a trench have a T-34 run over it and then approach it with a practise mine. :baby:

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Ilor posted:

:same:
I'd played a number of super-groggy systems, like WWII micro-armor. I tried Bolt Action and found it to be WW40K, highly unsatisfying. I looked into Flames of War, and it was worse. Any historical game in which "list building" is a thing is probably not so good.

Chain of Command uses the force organizations and doctrines of the period. The "national special rules" are limited and tend to have a subtle effect, but really reflect the doctrine, equipment, and training of the forces in question (such as the semi-automatic rifle being central to the US practice of "marching fire", or the German practice of putting the squad NCO in charge of directing the fire of the MG34/42 team). It also breaks the IGO-UGO mechanic and has a really neat unit activation system that actually lets you play the game solo. It can be played at whatever scale you want, but 15/20/28mm are most common. I went with 28mm, just because it's so easy to get minis.

I avoided WWII historicals like the plague for years, knowing that my wallet would take a hit. Chain of Command broke me. You stand forwarned.

You can easily play it with 1/72 scale and it's good.

So many options there it's not funny.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Heh in Bolt Action it's totally silly to have arty parks, but I like firing over open sights at buildings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Can we go back to how if I wanna buy these I have to pay loving $215?????

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Sisters-of-Battle-Seraphim-Squad

• Locked thread