Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wait, is he just muttering poo poo in Tagalog under his breath between phrases of English or are you just improving on the first translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Most people speak in straight English, or straight Filipino, especially in a formal setting. Duterte's prepared State of the Nation Address was in full English. His predecessor delivered all his SONAs in Filipino.

Taglish is what happens when you're not fluent enough with either to use it 100% of the time, so you keep jumping back and forth between the two, sometimes even within the same sentence.

That's what's happening here.

That sounds like a diplomatic nightmare with someone like Duterte, being as much of a colossal rear end in a top hat as he is. Just gladhanding smiling dignitaries in English while guffawing about said dignitaries' wives/daughters in Filipino right there in front of them, poo poo like that.

Of course, it would be more of an observation if it didn't already cause a little dust-up in Laos.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Broken Cog posted:

So, what's the average Filipinos take on this?

I think someone posted up thread in depth about it and the TLDR is that it's complicated. There's a real "right to law and order at any price" thread to public sentiment that he likes to tug on frequently, and for anyone versed in history it's pretty scary, but there's enough people afraid of the world (see: drug trade, terrorism, etc) to rationalize someone who will be seen as punching back at the evils they see in the world. Even if it's all a sham and a bald-faced power grab.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 13, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there a visible number of people in the country who are remorseful about electing Duterte at this point? Like are there people who are basically saying "I didn't think this would happen, I only voted for this" or are the "sides" in politics still pretty much where they were when Duterte was elected?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's cool that elected officials are telling the public "Actually Hitler had some good ideas" :stonklol:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/world/asia/philippines-duterte-mayor-police.html?_r=0

quote:

“If you are not guilty, why should you be afraid?” the mayor, Samsudin Dimaukom, told The New York Times in August.

On Friday, he and nine other men were shot dead at a highway police checkpoint, in what the police described as an antidrug operation.

poor guy and his concepts of guilt and innocence under a burgeoning totalitarian dictatorship.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Francis would just roll with it like "whores are beautiful people who suffer unspeakable indignity with immense grace" and then I'd be worried about any time he went near PH.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Teddy Boy" sounds like an alias you'd see in a high-profile organized crime indictment. Where'd Locsin pick it up?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

His real name is Teodoro. That gets shortened to Ted, or Teddy.

And then he's a Junior, as his father was also Teodoro, so you add the "-boy" because he's the younger one.

Teddyboy.

Ah, that explains it. I was thinking he was tied in with some crime syndicate under the "doth protest too much" assumption that Duterte's entire sphere of influence is a rack of criminals.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gah, gently caress that first one. The financial intelligence structure in the country is like one of the only things that puts teeth on the ability of foreign banks to see stuff like card fraud and ID theft get prosecuted, and they're one of the big onramps for fighting child abuse rings in places like Cebu. Your president is a criminal who is committing crimes and making it easier to commit crimes, while putting a tough-on-crime face on for the public. Here's to hoping y'all figure out where his supporters are and solve that problem.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

So, Duerte is now swearing he'll throw his critics (he calls them corrupt) out of helicopters and says he's done it before.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fore/?tid=sm_fb

It's like he's absorbing the souls of every villain dictator of the 20th century in an attempt to outdo Marcos.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grouchio posted:

So the impression I'm getting from these posts is that the average Filipino voter has about as much political awareness as a medieval peasant from Witcher 3, right?

Oh they like everyone outside North Korea has plenty of political awareness. The problem is in a lack of understanding to critically process the information they're made aware of. What you get is emotional thrashing driven by news sensationalism and a belief that your country is basically inhabited by Literally A Trillion meth addicts and the only solution is to just kill everyone and let god sort it all out because at least some action will have taken place.

A similar phenomenon is happening in the US with nominally rural inhabitants who aren't actually rural but are able to do all their daily errands without ever leaving their neighborhood. They gravitate towards sensational news about crime in the city and over time they start believing that every urban area is basically Aleppo and nobody cares about what it does for their property values and the only way to fix it is to burn the cities to the ground and build over the ashes with Shoppes at Legacy Towne Centre or whatever hog farms get named these days.

They aren't bright enough to actually process that poo poo and fall into a world where cities are war zones, your waiter is secretly Heisenberg, and capital punishment should be the minimum.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grouchio posted:

So how do we deal with such peons?

You loving vote, that's how. Sorry to break it to you but sometimes voting against someone rather than for someone is your only option. Idealism goes out the drat window when some rear end in a top hat like Duterte's comes calling. I know it might be hard to envision when the next election might be since he'll just cancel them but hey at least now a whole lot of people are educated on the importance of voting.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Diokno blamed the SSS Board of Trustees and Congress for the dilemma "burdening" the President. 

:laffo: I bet the public is buying it too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm not terribly familiar with the arrangement between the central bank and the AMLC but I've always operated off it being similar enough to how our enforcement agency, FinCEN operates under the Treasury as does OFAC (they handle stuff like sanctions) and the Federal Reserve (basically our central bank) handles the connection between standards and certification (I.e. you meet certain requirements or else the Fed doesn't insure your deposits and that's a death sentence for a bank).

As far as Filipino finregs go, I'd assume the proposal by Arroyo is basically a way of separating the AMLC's mandate from the BSP's authority/enforcement capability and basically would render your country's AML/CTF financial regulations optional?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A couple thousand tons of couple thousand tons of gold bullion probably wouldn't be found if you melted down every last gold earring and wedding band in the country.

Fake news, corrupt dictator, anti-NATO, anti-UN, honestly other than the tagalog tourettes thing Duterte has it's like you can swap him out for any of a whole crop of assholes getting dubiously elected across the globe the last few years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sinteres posted:

He's 71, so probably not. It's so bizarre that ancient guys are the new strongmen.

They were the old strongmen too, just young enough then to be able to wait until everyone got complacent before making their move.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

How can you be sure that Trump and Rosa Parks aren't actually the same person? Makes you think.

Well Rosa Parks didn't back down for starters.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ihatepants posted:

I don't know where this "news" is coming from but I've had multiple Trump voting family members keep telling me that "President Trump approved for Filipinos to travel visa free for 30 days for tourism & business. Never allowed before by any other US President!!!!" I can't find anything about it at all, which means that it's obviously fake, but when I brought it up, the reply was "Really!! Perhaps CNN , ABS-CBN, & NBC are the fake news here. News came from BBC." What the crap.

They heard it from a large man in a ushanka?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"The destruction of our country is going on" is a remarkable way to put it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gotta erase civil rights to protect you from those uh

M14s

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You'd think Duterte would just be too drat dumb to pull this plan out of his rear end but then again he like every other dimestore tyrant in history is presumably advised by people who are using him to make themselves a whole lot of money.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Of course he'd be genuflecting at their feet. Launder your filthy money here, I'll even let you funnel drugs through for an extra fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He hasn't run out of poo poo to blame yet