Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

LastInLine posted:

nothing could be more proof of having never worked a day in ones life than being completely unable to identify a contractors shirt even though they are literally fluorescent green and designed to be as highly visible as possible

i worked construction for years and i've never heard of such a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

i get like, really severe migraines, and most meds for them just make them worse
i've been meaning to try ergotamine if i ever get a doc that'll try it, but the only place you can get it is compounding pharmacies, which a) are loving rare b) cost a mint
so, rip me i guess

ergotamines are very costly to manufacture, period, afaik, because they need a ~10-15 stage synthesis in a pure nitrogen or argon atmosphere

supposedly they work real well. you could always try microdosing psilocybin or LSD instead :q:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

dietary adjustment has mostly worked for me
you can also get buscopan over the counter that works really well for the discomfort stuff

otoh if you've got ibs problems ergotamines can really ramp that poo poo up to the max so that might be why they don't wanna try it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

Lol

So I'm normally a psychiatry but I'm doing my internal medicine months. One of my coworkers had someone on their team receiving high (wow) doses of morphine q4 hours with extra breakthrough doses for... fibromyalgia.

Definitely not orthodox

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Roosevelt posted:

my doc won't script me anything for my hosed up back :mad:

opioids don't work for chronic pain, that's why

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

topical cream for their dermatitis that contains gabapentin, topiramate, ibuprofen and a beta blocker (actual example from yesterday).

lol this is incredible

i didn't even know topical gabapentin was a thing. do you need dmso to make that work?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Hello Spaceman posted:

for those of us (me) who don't carry around medical dictionaries, what is each of those and why is it laughable to have a topical cream containing them?
i mean i know what ibuprofen is and it seems dumb to put what is usually an ingested painkillers on a sore patch of skin but i'm no doctor here have a picture

gabapentin is a weird GABA drug, think a gentler xanax/ativan/ghb, anti-seizure drug
ibuprofen is advil
beta blockers like propofol are anti-anxiety and anti-seizure drugs
topiramate is kind of weird, not super familiar with it but it's another anticonvulsant (anti-epilepsy drug)

i have no idea why you'd administer any of these in an ointment, nevermind for dermatitis?!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

gabapentin is a medication used for epilepsy, neuropathic pain and restless leg syndrome (and off label for bipolar iirc?)

lol everything is used off label for bipolar

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Linux Pirate posted:

tbf i take trileptal and it is a medication for seizures, but it helps

i have bipolar II disorder. i probably shouldn't admit that here because i know it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end

me too, whatever lets be pals

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

tru
i mean, with gabapentin there's at least some studies showing efficacy, and usually it's not the only medication prescribed, iirc?
idklol

yeah some research backs it up, its just funny because everything seems to 'work' for bipolar

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

echinopsis posted:

look up gabapentin abuse. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised

there was a whole thread in tcc about people getting hosed up on gabapentin and pregabalin

no such thing as a non-abusable gaba drug

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

works pretty well, imo!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Robot Pride posted:

i used to take trileptal and it was meh but the 200mg scrip of seroquel was ballersauce

seroquel owns

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Robot Pride posted:

the downside is that you will have an unquenchable appetite and people with even somewhat tenuous self discipline instantly balloon up in weight

lol the first time i took one i ate an entire loaf of bread worth of toast and a 12" shepherds pie

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
we will likely never surpass the energy density of gasoline with battery technology

and by 'surpass' I mean like "get within 1/100th the energy density"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

echinopsis posted:

as a sedative or what do you like about it

i take it very rarely to help me sleep or knock me down when I get too 'up' (manic)

being knocked down from a weird, twitchy, paranoid, anxious nightmare to a calm, hungry, sleepy baby is nice

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

the regular yospos "what broken-brain drugs are you on and how can I abuse them?" derails are super dumb

dude you talk about how much motorcycle gear your wear at the drop of a hat

hearing a compounding pharmacist talk about how some whacko doc is prescribing oral restless leg syndrome meds as a topical treatment for dermatitis is pretty lmao

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

http://www.mashstix.com/004723

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

.___O

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

syscall girl posted:

nicotine is not heart healthy

I'm not so sure that's been proven and I say that as someone who's smoked like one cigar my entire life

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Power Ambient posted:

say what you want about sperging over metal genres but there's a pretty big difference between death metal and black metal and you'd look like a huge no-nothing idiot conflating the two

here's death metal computer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkp48SZ0Gf4

lol i knew what this link was gonna be

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Radio Paranoia posted:

angel of depth

FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND MORE TO PLY
ANGEL OF DEPTH
MONARCH OF THE OYSTER BED

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
gently caress, shoulda been angler of depth

oh well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ILEUDML97M

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

yeahhh doesn't like, most standing water in the US have bacteria that eats your brain if it gets up your nose?
getting it is super rare but still

pretty sure you're thinking of naegleria fowleri which is an amoeba. it lives in a lot of places but its only really a major concern near hot water discharges of industrial plants and hot springs and stuff.

the condition it causes its called naegleriasis and its got a stupid high mortality rate

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
rip ur appendix

or like... hiatal hernia i guess

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
its not the look, it's the DRUG SEEKING stamp that goes on your chart forever

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

excellent

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Panty Saluter posted:

opiates pretty much rule, until You poo poo Out Your Liver

"Drug Linked to Ohio Overdoses Can Kill in Doses Smaller than a Snowflake posted:

As he crumpled to the sidewalk, Mr. Hatmaker became one of more than 200 people to overdose in the Cincinnati area in the past two weeks, leaving three people dead in what the officials here called an unprecedented spike. Similar increases in overdoses have rippled recently through Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia, overwhelming ambulance crews and emergency rooms and stunning some antidrug advocates.

carfentanil is a real bitch

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

syscall girl posted:

turns out the ama, fda and dea are cracking down on this and have been for a while

it's not a solved problem but doctor shopping and such is on the decline

yeah this was largely the fault of purdue pharmaceuticals, they made oxycontin and ordered doctors to dose it in the most habit-forming way possible. they claimed to be able to make a drug with a 6 hour half life last 12 hours but all that really did was give patients 6 hours of relief, and then 6 hours of pain and eventually rapid withdrawals. a lot of those patients turned to heroin when their supply was cut off.

‘YOU WANT A DESCRIPTION OF HELL?’ OXYCONTIN’S 12-HOUR PROBLEM posted:

If a doctor complained that OxyContin didn’t last, Purdue reps were to recommend increasing the strength of the dose rather than the frequency. There is no ceiling on the amount of OxyContin a patient can be prescribed, sales reps were to remind doctors, according to the presentation and other training materials.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they literally use it to tranquilize elephants and other giant animals

the hypothetical dose for a human would be so small that most labs don't even have equipment precise enough to measure it out

yeah it's insane. uou can get 100mg of the stuff for $80 on the darknet. to get that to a usable dose that wouldn't kill a human you'd have to dump it into a 55 gallon drum of water, take a milliliter of that drum and dump it into another 55 gallon drum, and repeat that one more time, then take one milliliter of that last solution.

thank god it can't be easily aerosolized or it'd be a chemical weapon.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lmao "the darknet"

I could get you fentanyl right now

yeah but i'm talkin' about carfentanil, 150x more powerful than fentanyl

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

yeah but that was the russian government, not a bunch of dudes in caves or whatever

i guess aum shinriku did manage to cook sarin though so how knows, that's probably easier

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

enotnert posted:

*jumps around pissing on the crowd while woo wooing*

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife says that it won't make a drunk person sober at all or be helpful to someone who has alcohol poisoning - just put them into immediate agony

apparently that drug causes you to produce the same byproducts of alcohol consumption that some asian people do who are alcohol sensitive, and that it's not used anymore to treat alcoholics

totally different from narcan since it puts you into immediate withdrawal (which isn't fatal for opiates like alcohol is and a hypothetical analogous drug would be)

hmm, opioids are fairly receptor specific whereas alcohol hits almost every receptor in the body to some degree, which is why its weirdly sedative and stimulating at the same time, so a true ethanol-narcan would probably not be possible and just outright kill you but a powerful GABA antagonist like picrotoxin would probably work to send you into sudden, horrible withdrawals.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

finally a response to the adderall abuse in SV

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Graff posted:

Picrotoxin and gabazine just give u seizures straight up. I managed to induce ictal weirdness in acute brain slices with it

thats cool

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i mean i guess there's not much difference between forced alcohol withdrawl and straight up seizures anyway

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lolllllll

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

atomicthumbs posted:

from toe to tip, that's a BART

lol