Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

does anyone know whether there is a better image of don knuth wearing this shirt, because :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

what does "fear the tree" mean

every year don knuth gives a christmas tree lecture. a lecture about trees, given around christmas-time. i assume the shirt was worn for one of these, but i'm lazy so i'm asking here about it, instead of going through all the video recordings of them that google turned up

side note: i needed zero more reasons to be convinced of how awesome don knuth is, but there it is

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the bing energy drink is quite tasty imo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

here's the SNL channel copy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

:v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the usb costume is extra funny to me because it's a superspeed drive

e: i would like the ladies to know that i am no superspeed punk, i'm pure 1.0 baby

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

holy poo poo i made that combo forehead pic like years ago. glad to see it survived since that drive was wiped a few years later :unsmith:

it's a classic! i've seen it all over the place

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

2-3 generations later and the whole chassis is gonna be touchpad.

peak one butan

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sexy Undecided Voter Costume

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Do not dress as Ken Bone for Halloween.

Fright of frights, Halloween this year is going to be infested with drunks in red sweaters waiting for you to delight in their cleverness. Oh, night of terror, there will be women who have actually purchased that Sexy Ken Bone costume. Is that a haunted spirit I see out of the corner of my eye? No, it’s the pun-loving academic getting his late October jollies. He is Ken Boner.

Friends, I am terrified.

Halloween is upon us, this year an entire three-day weekend celebrating our evolution from candy-guzzling children into the booze-stuffed misguided, teetering through the streets in any number of terrible pop culture-inspired costumes.

The holiday has somehow become the real-world manifestation of the insufferable “have you seen…” conversations we have about any number of viral memes. Gone is any homage to Halloween tradition. Who wants to be a goblin, ghoul, or ghost when you can dress as a dead gorilla?

And so this Halloween will see any number of nasty women, bad hombres, baskets of deplorables, and a slew of politically inspired costumes, all festooned with the air of pride over the so-called cleverness of such styling. It is exhausting.

Our instinct to create folk heroes out of undecided voters and memes out of some of the most tragic moments of the election is one of our worst. It’s a reflex that indicates a refusal to process the brutal reality of a pivotal moment in our history, choosing to make sideshows the main act, and perpetuating ignorance by focusing on distractions. By minimizing what actually matters, we don’t have to be made uncomfortable by confronting it.

These costumes are our denial personified, drunk on 2-for-1 Fireball shots.

Ken Bone, by the way, is not a cute little distraction. His disturbing Reddit history proves he’s not nearly as adorable as we thought, suggesting, among other things, that the killing of Trayvon Martin was justified. But, sure, spill Bud Light all over your thrift store red sweater on Halloween while dressed as him. Cool.

The debate rages each year about whether controversial Halloween costumes are funny or distasteful, whether we should treat Halloween as an occasion to bait offense and be a little naughty with our lack of political correctness. We’re not blaring any sensitivity siren here. We’re merely pointing out that these costumes are really dumb.

When your pop culture joke has been commoditized, it’s no longer worth making. You’re no longer clever. There’s no punchline anymore. When when we’re all in on it, it’s not cheeky; it’s mainstream. And when something becomes mainstream, it’s neutered of any intended provocation. Worse, it means that we’ve become desensitized to the perhaps once-incendiary and maybe even valuable conversation that meme or joke or costume might have caused.

As a costume, these outfits are now just lazy. As a cultural statement, they now represent our resignation to the worst: racism, sexism, bigotry, and political disinterest.

Dressing as Donald Trump for Halloween isn’t funny. You’re either suggesting that Donald Trump is a joke or you want to start a fight. If the reason is the former, see above. If the reason is the latter, you’re the worst for reasons far greater than your lame Halloween costume.

You may, however, dress as Donald Trumpkin, and that is the bar for creativity you must reach for other Trump-inspired dressage.

We, at our humble cubicle at The Daily Beast, have received press releases about costumes for: Locker Room Donald Trump, Cry Baby Trump, Trump Taco, and Prison Hillary. We have since thrown our computer out the window next to our humble cubicle at The Daily Beast.

This Halloween will no doubt see a harem of sorority girls as Nasty Women and their male counterparts doing some racially insensitive version of Bad Hombres.

Based on the number of Sexy Tinkerbells, Sexy Devils, and, yes, even Sexy Candy Corns we see year after year, perhaps originality isn’t of the utmost importance to these people. But unless you are wearing a Hillary Clinton pantsuit with Janet Jackson-inspired detailing, we are going to groan at each one of you.

And, sure, the racist Mexican costume is hardly a new thing. (I have ashamedly dressed this way myself, because I once was drunk and in college and thought things like that were funny.) But this year, it’s as if expecting the barrage of Bad Hombre costumes preemptively grants permission to the giddy exploitation of people’s “I’m just joking!” racism.

How will you and your friends illustrate Trump’s basket of deplorables? We await your creativity with bated breath. God save your soul if there is any pussy-grabbing theme to your outfit.

And then there are those costumes that aren’t politically themed, the pop culture ones worn with a devious smile because you’re so confident that you don’t care if you offend people when, really, people don’t think you’re being offensive—they think you’re being just dumb.

Cool, lady. You spent $70 on a costume version of Kim Kardashian being held hostage during a robbery. Money well spent on a costume that lost its edge the minute we all knew of course this was going to be a costume this year. Instead of making a statement on Kardashian’s fame, it’s a statement on how foolishly you manage your money.

Dressing as Harambe holding a bloody child? As novel as a new Harambe joke, at this point. A Syrian refugee? You’re not provocative. You’re an rear end in a top hat. Killer clowns? Eyes don’t have the mobility to roll dramatically enough.

It’s pointless to dredge up the (completely valid) conversations about the exploiting of socioeconomic disparity with costumes mocking the homeless or “white trash,” the problematic consequences of the “sexy” Halloween motif, and the truths revealed about us by our consistent excusing of racist costumes.

They’re had every year and, if nothing else, only serve to bolster the annual blackout bacchanal, not deter from it.

But while we may think Halloween is the worst, we do acknowledge that, yes, Halloween can be fun. Or so we hear.

We’re glad people enjoy the camaraderie of it, get excited about the occasion to bond with friends, lose inhibitions, and be someone else for a night. There is ample opportunity, too, for actual cleverness and creativity on Halloween, especially with costumes inspired by pop culture and watercooler conversation—even if we think the perfect Halloween outfit is and forever will be a bedsheet ghost.

But the extent to which we’ve embraced the opportunity to lean into the vilest aspects of our culture, excusing it under the false guise of some sort of winking intelligence? You’re not clever. You’re not smart. Don’t do it.

Now get off my lawn. It’s the one without those dollar store fake spider webs decorating it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Space-Pope posted:

look fucker they're called kigurumis and they're really comfy

the anime snuggie

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

:v: https://gifsound.com/?gifv=5fm7Cuc&v=Mkp8ZdQ9SqI&s=25

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

echinopsis posted:

between ordering controlled drugs, the prescriptions, the computer log and the controlled drug register, yes there certainly is, but once dispensed and in the patients hands it's entirely out of ours

like i said, think about controlled drugs being returned because they're not wanted but they weren't even dispensed from the same pharmacy. where would a discrepancy arise?

it really surprises me that you can't conceive of a way in which a more secure and document-able chain of custody could exist for returned drugs. to the point that i don't understand how you can function as a pill-counter. like i work in a human services job (in america!!) that requires only a high school diploma and we have better documentation standards than you do for drug counting and destruction, and yet it sounds like you just cannot conceive of a world in which such things exist

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

"preparing to touch the poop"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

some things just cannot be explained

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

action bronson is a really gross dude but his food show is pretty good honestly

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

In the 80's there was Cherry RC which tasted just like an actual fountain cherry coke. It was great.

um do you mean cherry rc cola? because yo: https://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/rc-cola/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also

what is notable about this. this is how domes work. i saw dozens of ground-rule doubles made because somebody hit a ball up into the ceiling of the metrodome. it's baked into the equation of this type of stadium

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No poo poo? I've not seen it in years and years.

thats what you get for moving away from minnesota, haha. you can find rc cola most places here now

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

woodch posted:

Every time I hear Snoop say something, I love him even more.

snoop 2020 imo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hey babe check out my big air-sac things. pretty manly huh

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

these doggo musics are so dumb and i love them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLAN-kP5pE

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lmao some chick outside just yelled "you wanna go bitch?" at her boyfriend and punched him in the face

ahhhh, i have so many memories of living in poor/college neighborhoods :allears:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah if you're in a position where the stupids in question don't know where you are, you can do that or like yell "hey, hey you!" and it will shame 90% of people to stop being stupid. and if you aren't hidden but like you're on foot and you come across people being stupid, most times you can pull out your phone and pretend to record, or pretend to call 911, and people will suddenly become model citizens. #americahacks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

in college a buddy had a blowgun and i would entertain the populace on my floor by blowing a dart straight into the meat of my calf
usually would get a good 2, 2.5" in

sore the next day but thats about it

college.txt but also :banjo:.txt

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

metal gear solid 1 is a really good game

kojima is peter molyneux but he follows through on every one of his insane ideas

he needs to quit writing dialogue, the dialogue in MGS games is insanely bad

kojima's dialogue is terrible b-movie dreck. that's why it's great

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

much respect for these nice ladies with high maintenance hairstyles that have us like whoa

actually, short hair girls got like 20 extra minutes to hang out with u each day, it's pretty good imo :D

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

looks like it was actually flight AY666

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

that's griffin mcelroy and his co-worker nick robinson. they aren't related but justin and griffin are and they do monster factory

they're dad is/was a radio dj in huntington west virginia

nick and griffin have really great banter. i've been watching CAR BOYS for a while now and it's great. nick is a goon, too: iirc he showed up in the MBMBaM/McElroy thread (i think it's in RGD?)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

poo poo, that just reminds me that vine is closing in like 4 days :/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you could've just texted me "no" simone

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it looks like that farmbot thing uses a square-based grid with equal-sized squares for every planted crop. my geometries

also lol it costs 3100 dollars

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703752115/kickstarted-in-the-butt-a-chuck-tingle-digital-adv/posts/1812345

:pwn: chuck tingle spotted irl :pwn:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sniep posted:

we love the subssss

cuz they are gooood to us

how ashamed should i be for getting this reference

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i learned the word "eschaton" from Infinite Jest so i will forever associate it with the game of that name that is described in the book

also: this video :pwn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpfK7l404I

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

if only the usefulness of every app was held to such high standards

(serious)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

does he not post here anymore? he's fairly active on twitter

i think rufo is still posting as user "rufus ping"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

echinopsis posted:

once watched this man walk into the pharmacy and got to the counter and said nothing but "ibuprofen"

jesus christ. i mean it gets the point across and it gets the job done, but god way to not foster any kind of human relationship

this is actually something that varies by culture and individual personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

echinopsis posted:

he just wanted someone to find it for him. height of arrogance, I mean staff are there to help and honestly I'd probably do the same thing, ie, ask for help, bt nicely, and because I like chatting to retail staff ad treating them like people

i ask nicely, but i generally try to be quick and to-the-point when i ask a store worker to help me with a minor thing. i've worked retail and i know they probably have half a dozen other things they need to get done, so i try and be respectful of their time :)

content:

• Locked thread