Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh God I just watched the promo reel for this and bought it for PS4 with bonus content what the hell is wrong with me it looks so good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Struggling to like this game. Too few vehicles, infantry parachutes apparently non-existent. Vehicle spawning system is stupid. Being able to repair your tank from *inside* is beyond stupid.

No more stealing the enemy's armor and taking a point. No more charging a tank, drilling it until the driver bails, then stealing it and driving off into the sunset. No more sneaking into heavily defended enemy flags to steal the armor that spawns there, and frantic escape once you get it. No more Jihads, which have practically defined the crazy poo poo you can do in Battlefield since 1942. Hell, no more minimap so you can plan where you're going next.

And it's just so boring. In earlier Battlefields there were always 2-3 "only in battlefield" moments a night any time I played. I'm struggling to think of one moment over the last few days of gameplay.

I dunno man, I've been playing for a grand total of like 3 hours and I've already stolen a tank, ramraided an objective with it, blown up an entire castle from across the map with a turret to get the sniper inside, rode an armoured death train mowing fools down, jumped out to grab a flamethrower kit, and torched my way to an objective... It's pretty loving awesome.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lumpy posted:

On a scale of 1 to :dice: , how buggy is the PS4 version? Also, how long before they split the player base with DLC?

I've had one lost connection and seen one spastic corpse under a field gun, so pretty good all in all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mellowjournalism posted:

The gently caress? Do anti-tank grenades not explode on contact any more? I was a tank driver and got out if that makes a difference.

edit: I switched to assault and hit a landship with two and they both bounced before blowing up. I swear it was different in the beta but shrug

I was noticing the first grenade tends to explode on contact, but the second bounces around a lot. I was also experiencing a lot of stutter-running lag tonight though so I don't know if it was related.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If they had a "most useless" award that would have been me on Suez just now. Sat at the spawn manning a field gun and levelled every building in range. Fun as hell and I even hit a few dudes!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

An annoying thing - you can't quit out of a game until the whole thing has loaded. So no checking your score and then leaving to play another game mode, or making dinner or something, nope you gotta wait to join the game and then quit out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

zooted heh posted:

I'm going to mess with the colors soon. I played with it in the beta.

Also is this the first shooter to let you change where your recoil direction goes? I love how you can compensate for your own aim a little bit.

If you played battlefront, the Argonne forest map layout for the smaller scale battles is similar to the Endor map. it was funny never playing Argonne and recognizing it.

Oh yeah it's totally Endor, first thing I said when I played it. It even has the death train that chugs down the middle drawing fire like the AT-AT.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

Didn't see it posted anywhere but is there a fix for your loadouts constantly resetting? I just unlocked a bunch of guns with warbonds and tried to edit them in but the loadouts keep resetting between matches. Really annoying....

Also my psn is EllipticalD if there is someone throwing invites around to a goon group.

Yeah it's a pain. I assume it's something you can manage or control from the app, but I haven't downloaded it. Also, are there multiple loadouts for each class? I was trying to edit my medic class on a game of carrier pigeon and it kept swapping between like 4 copies of the base layout when I was trying to change the gun or something. It was hosed up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VincesUndies posted:

Yes, I took out a heavy tank after it killed me that way. They're also harder to spot than in the other BF games

AT mines are the best, even better than C4 for taking out tanks on a suicide mission, since there's no trigger and you can deploy them so fast. Just run up to the front, drop 3, get run over, kaboom! Dead tank and everyone inside.

I loving love the AA guns too. So fun shredding enemy planes, helping out our boys in the sky. Better than any stinger/igla.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The thing about bitching about support not dropping ammo, is what if they're running some combination of mortar/limpet/repair tool? Mortar is too fun to not use, which only leaves you one gadget slot. Why spend it on ammo packs (other than you aren't being very supportive if you don't)?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Last time I played, the one thing I noticed really stood out on that desert fortress map was all the twinkling lights of wookies on the ramparts. The scope shine is huge. Not a lot you can do about it except start jumping and dancing, but at least you know where to point your field gun.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

10 Beers posted:

loving this. I was trying to do this last night and getting frustrated. Near as I can tell, each time you hit a vehicle counts as one damage regardless of how much damage you actually do in one hit in the game. It's lame as poo poo.

Pro tip for getting the Newtonian Order medal: chain yourself to an AA gun. Drop 3 anti tank mines at a flag to grab a free tank kill at some point during the match and spend the rest of the match filling the air with flak and shredding airplanes. This goes for the 10 disables and 10 kills portions of the medal too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Man I really hope they nerf the crap out of the stationary AA guns soon, cause those things are making it impossible to use planes or the blimps if anyone uses them

gently caress you, AA guns are awesome and as long as there are planes to shoot down with them, I'll take every opportunity to do so.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just saw this on imgur

A good use of an airplane.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I enjoyed playing assault while I was going for the vehicle ribbon. But I have this thing where if I see a vehicle, tank, truck, aircraft, whatever - I must destroy it. Even if I die a dozen times trying, a hundred shot mans doesn't compare to the satisfaction I get from wrecking some tank/air lord's ride.
The shotguns are pretty bad though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LGD posted:

Have you tried the Model 10-A Hunter? It is ridiculously strong

Not yet, I haven't unlocked it yet. I will make it a priority though. Need to have a play around with sidearms too. I always liked running short range bullet hose or shotty as main and using my sidearm for long range pot-shotting on BF4 (magnum 44 in that case).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a website that simply lists which classes have which weapons, maybe with some pictures and possibly stats? Because there's about a thousand youtube "Hot tips on how to play (class)" and "pre-alpha weapon spoilers" just utter garbage useless waste of space websites that don't do that but dominate the first 100 pages of any vaguely related google search.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's the one. Thanks!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've been trying the model 10 slug... Man I want to love it but 93 damage. 93. And you almost never get a chance to take a second shot. Meanwhile you get one-shotted from across the map by any number of rifles.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Anyone else ever get the impression that everyone else's gun is way more powerful than the gun you've got? Like, bad mans are all "that sure is a nice LMG you're unloading into my chest, but check this out: *flicks cigarette in your face*" *dies*

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Auxiliary Treats posted:

It probably gives them autism.

It cures them of autism making them suck so bad at playing they just die.

I'd love to see a buff to suppression on LMGs. You shouldn't be able to effectively headshot return fire when you're getting pinged with LMG hit markers. It would be a good counter to hill wookies too, as long as you're lighting one up with an LMG, he's effectively (more) useless. A huge buff to artillery and fixed heavy machine gun suppression would kick rear end too. Turrets and field guns should knock you prone and give you the "freshly revived" dizzy screen.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's even a little factoid that states most battle casualties were from artillery, not guns. They should add a *but in this game, unless you score a direct hit with said artillery, or cause a roof to collapse, probably nobody will notice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man, 5 kills in a life as Assault is by far the hardest of the classes. They are just so useless outside of very close range, and most of the maps are so open that you can't consistently close distance without getting pinged by some random sniper or medic just outside of your effective range. Anyone have any tips for this one? The other classes haven't been that bad at all so far.

Lay 3 mines and take out a full tank, that's 6. If you're having trouble with nuking a suitably full vehicle, try shelling a Wookie compound or manning a heavy machine gun. There's one near C on (French village - can't remember the map name) with a pretty clear line to where everyone runs up the hill to the house outside B. Though that works better for suppression assists.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I really don't like Argonne Forest. It's like a worse operation locker.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just got loving dominated on ballroom blitz. The other team held nearly every point with only 2-3 guys defending each one. Just complete disorganization on our team and nobody even trying to make a concentrated attempt to at least take back one point.
I'm finding it really hard to play anything other than assault, because whenever I try another class, someone in a tank inevitably steamrolls all opposition and capture points. Playing scout it's like "I spotted a tank!" then run the other direction because you're hosed if he spots you back. Support I find I die to sniper fire far too frequently to be useful.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

you can restock your own explosives

Runs up and sticks limpet to tank
Runs back to ammo crate
One one thousand two one thousand three
Gets exploded to gently caress by tank

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got the sweetest multikill on st. Quentin today at C. Some fuckers tried to take it in a tank so I ran in front of that bitch, dropped 3 mines, and nuked the lot. What made it sweeter was the bonus 2 for 1 because it exploded the armored car following behind too. I even survived! Did I remember to record it? Did I gently caress.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LGD posted:

you want to use ammo packs for restocking explosives, it's much faster and you can do it on the move, which helps with the getting exploded thing

multiple limpet charges would be much better from a support perspective (and I'd prefer it), but it would also make support players who get close to tanks instantly fatal to the tank rather than just quite dangerous which seems to be how DICE wants it

as it stands though I'm definitely much more inclined to take them for bunker busting than as a preferred means of dealing with vehicles

Oh cool, I didn't know that. I've been using crates because I thought they worked like BF4 where only crates would refill explosives (iirc).

red19fire posted:

I'd prefer the limpets to be proximity based, rather than time. :dice: has turned it's back on the jihad style of enemy tank management, and those sidecar motorcycles are begging for it.

Yesssss. I wonder if this would work with mines...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

maybe you are not meant to win the vital tank vs single support matchup

Listen, 31 times out of 32 I'm the only motherfucker even trying!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nice work. I figured out how to build up to three variants of a class too (yeah I'm dumb), so a mortar and a limpet build for easy swapping when I die is easy to do.

I tried, but you can't stick dynamite to any vehicles, even in the sidecar of the bike, or place a mine on one (that one makes sense. Don't know if you can set a limpet while sitting in the sidecar for some suicide bombing action (rider abandons you to your fate to survives and tell your story).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

tminz posted:

When this game clicks it is amazing but when it's not clicking and your team is getting curb stomped the instant deaths immediately after spawning can get tiring. Definitely seems like average lifespan is half of what it was in BF3/4 but I think it's more of a function of the larger player base and more open maps.

I really hope they tweak spawning in the next update. Playing Ballroom and attempting to spawn at E invariably spits me out just outside the HQ. Hell even random spawns like you get in TDM would be an improvement. I've noticed some spawn camping going on as well, which never seemed to be a thing in BF4.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'd love to see a "killed by (weapon)" stat so you could check what weapon the cheesy bastards that keep killing you use most. I'm willing to bet for me it would be Russian Sniper 1895 followed by the Mondragon.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

I seem to die mostly to assaults. Always the MP18 Optical and M10-A Hunter chewing me up. It's a mixed bag at other ranges, but despite the "not enough people play assault" talk I swear they are my nemesis in matches.

Oh yeah I go through gluts of dying to MP18 trenches. One burst from them is usually enough to kill you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

super macho dude posted:

my biggest gripe lately has been trying to figure out how to melee better. 9 times out a 10, I get maybe one hit in whether its a knife, club, or shovel, only to get the insta-kill animation on my own guy.

I saw a factoid come up on the loading screen that said something like "hatchet will gently caress poo poo up but has a small takedown radius" or something. Based on that and poking people with knives without killing them, it looks like melee weapons are pretty variable. So if the guy you're poking at has a shovel or something with a bigger takedown radius (i have no idea what these radii are or how they vary) than your knife, he probably gets the takedown while you're still poking.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mexi posted:

I am fed up with aiming down the sights after certain actions only to have my gun not shoot.

Gun jamming for enhanced realism!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

I don't get the love for the mp18 trench gun. So much recoil, it's always bouncing all over the place for me. What am I doing wrong goons?

Try taking the bayonet off. I haven't tried it but according to the official site, equipping a bayonet has all sorts of detrimental effects to things like recoil, draw speed, etc.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Wait, really? Have a link?

https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/melee-combat-of-battlefield-1

quote:

Equipping a bayonet to your primary weapon also negatively affects the recoil of your weapon, and how quickly you can raise your weapon to a fire-ready position after a sprint. Picking a bayonet also means that you will indirectly forego other add-ons that you could have equipped instead.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Auxiliary Treats posted:

I'm excited to see what kind of gimmick kills are possible. Killing mans with the hand flare in BF4 was cool and good.

You can definitely kill mans with a spotting flare. Works like an incendiary grenade.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ol Standard Retard posted:

So kind of an exploit that you can camp the poo poo out of the boat spawn on suez with your own boat and just rack up thousands of points... I worked through a full game of just killin boats and random players who would spawn to go after the dreadnought in them.

I noticed that. I spawned in someone's boat out there and spent a while just blasting empty boats plus the odd person who spawned in one. Pretty boring but I guess it will level you up? Now whenever I see a boat out on the right side of the overhead map I assume that's what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Can a horse trigger an anti tank mine?
Because boy have I got plans if they can.