Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9eL03IPwRI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Is every Conquest map having varying ticket levels a thing, now?

The hell happened to 1,000 tickets per round on base game servers? What’s this 450 tickets to start out with bullshit?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Live At Five! posted:

Fjell is such a terrible loving map. I refuse to ever play breakthrough on it again. Even conquest on Fjell isnt enjoyable. It reminds me of Argonne but worse in every possible way. I've heard Hamada isnt great but somehow I've never played that map even after 10 to 15 hours of playing. I'm mostly enjoying the game but it doesn't come close to being as enjoyable as BF1, I'm just not a fan of the decreased TTK and the ammo changes.

It's even worse than Argonne because there are goddamn mountains that people climb and camp on with sniper rifles and KE7's.

The worst that Argonne had to offer was C turning into a bottleneck for morons that thought C was key to winning the game and didn't understand the concept of flanking. Fjell is Argonne but 20 times worse. Argonne didn't have bomber planes, either.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I find myself loving the hell out of Rotterdam, Devestation and Arras and not much else. Also, Grand Operations beats the hell out of every other mode, especially since Conquest maps no longer have 1,000 tickets and are often over in 20 mins or less.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I just hope we end up getting more diverse maps that are similar to Empire's Edge or Sinai. The bigger the better. And for the love of God, I am not suggesting that the tanks be made indestructible, but the ability to kill a tank with 2 well placed rocket strikes kinda of devalues the concept of Battlefield's whole "This FPS series has always had a diverse selection of badass vehicles you can use, unlike some other game that we won't name!" thing.

The vehicles just seem like background noise, now. You spawn one and then 60 seconds later you're dead. Playing with teammates who can help protect you and move in packs with you is impossible unless you're squadded up with friends on a headset.

Beastie posted:

It is insane how much fun it is to start a huge fight at C then immediate peace out after a few deaths and back cap everything else.

I played Battlefield 1 multiple times a week, every week, since the game was released, and there was quite literally no instances I ever witnessed over the course of playing Argonne Forest where people learned that lesson. Nope. They would all just rush to C and shoot each other for 40 minutes and more often than not, the team that controlled C never faced an opponent who would flank them and win the map easily.

I ended up top 100 on Earth on the PS4 for shotgun kills, though. Because I never gave a gently caress about KDR. I cared about flanking idiots and playing the objectives.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

*is gone all day but is excited to get home to try out the Tides of War mode and all the fixes that the promised patch was supposed to bring*

*sees that the patch has been delayed....until tomorrow*

:gbsmith:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/1070242199063941120

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 5, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Tides of War is fuckin’ awesome and I can’t wait to finish it all.

Also, the AA Tank is buffed to the Moon and that new open field tank level is highly conducive to racking up kill streaks when you’re in said AA Tank. I started off with 15 straight kills the first time I even played the level tonight. Shooting those AA cannons into the side of a tank at close range and watching the sparks and flames shoot everywhere is outrageously satisfying.

Many things have been fixed as of today. I am pleased.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'd enjoy knowing who killed me and where they are on the map after i'm dead. A split second red blur of their body doesn't really help. Keep getting destroyed by snipers on Arras and Aerodrome and hell if I know where they are afterwards. I feel like this encourages endless camping.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Why not just functionally remove them from the game then, because that's what you're asking?

They shine a 5 megawatt flashlight from their scope when they look down it. The game's done everything they can do to discourage camping (actually have bullet drop to encourage player skill, put massive scope glint into the game, only headshots 1-hit kill, if Support can get MMG fire on their position it makes them worthless, spotting them and having a bomber/fighter strafe them or a tank shoot their position, just loving blowing up the building they're in). Try outplaying them, it's very satisfying when you pin a Sniper as a Support and your Recon guy counter-snipes them, or as a Medic popping a smoke grenade and letting everyone reposition somewhere else while they sit there helpless.

No, I mean, there were several instances last night on Aerodrome where I was getting sniped as I was walking out of my team's primary initial spawnpoint and I didn't get a chance to see any glint or anything. And then it just sort of shows a red glob a half mile away with no specificity.

In every other BF game, when I died, I knew who killed me and where to go to put an end to them. Sometimes i'd get there and sometimes I wouldn't, but it was nice to have a post-death camera showing me where my killer(s) was/were. I enjoyed sniping in BF1. Most of the time, i'd carefully snipe people out of the gun carriages in the behemoth blimp when it showed up. But getting sniped as i'm trying to move 20 feet forward after I spawn and then the game showing who killed me for 2 seconds through a glaucoma and vasoline smeared lens is kind of a dick move.

And you know as well as I do that pubbies don't give a gently caress about concepts like flanking or countersniping. All they're interested in is running up the middle and turning every map into a bottlenecked stalemate where nothing gets accomplished.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 12, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Beastie posted:

If you're getting sniped from your spawn your team has bigger fish to fry than riding across the map to kill a sniper.

Oh trust me, I know. I don't experience such horrendous poo poo when i'm playing with friends and all of us are in voicechat together. But there's a 50% chance that every server I join, it's going to put me on a team where everyone is far too interested in gathering at 1 objective and ignoring everything else because "MUH K/D RATIO!".

When Battlefield is played with teamwork in mind, it's so much fun. And that's been the case in every single game in the series, going back 16 years. But when it turns into "meatgrinder hallway (feat. stationary machineguns)", it's the absolute worst.

Yeah, just keep hurling yourselves into the maelstrom of bullet fire, dummies. That'll definitely help us get past them and to other objectives.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

part of that speaks to map design that can't be fixed with tweaks to game mechanics, and frankly to emergent ways players do things on said maps so it's hard to control for

That is also true. But the other worst possible feeling I get in BF games in general is when one team has simply got all their poo poo together, and most of the team i'm on gives up on trying to rush anything to try and take it, so instead, they fall back to their main spawn and turn into snipers taking meaningless potshots for the rest of the round, and you lose by 300-400 points because God forbid you die in a videogame!. Gotta save all those limited respawns for the next map! Respawns are limited! (Or so many people think)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah lol anyone who's spent more than 30 seconds with me in a game (especially on defense in whatever mode) will read this and chuckle softly at thoughts of the GunPoop Charge

e: I actually think two goons I hadn't played with before literally said out loud "holy poo poo you're way up there" or something like that

I'm the same way. I will gladly finish a round with a K/D of 15 kills and 30 deaths if it means we won the map. And because I play the Objectives in addition to shooting at people and reviving/resupplying them, i'll usually end up in the top 10 for points every time because while it's definitely important to get kills in a multiplayer FPS game, it's also very important to do what each mode asks of you to create that winning condition.

I think when I stopped playing BF4 when BF1 came out, my total KDR was something like 26,000 kills and 27,000 deaths but I had a poo poo ton of wins, captures and assists and something like 7,500 jihad jeep C4 kills. I give no fucks. I will keep coming like a Terminator robot every single time until the round is complete.

In BF1 for the PS4, I ended up Top 100 on the planet for shotgun kills, because I was always the guy to run into a house first, or charge into a ditch or a trench and empty the place out.

EDIT: That said, I am loving the poo poo out of the 12G automatic shotgun. It's somehow even deadlier than the BF1 version, especially at medium range.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 13, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Speaking of bayonetes, are there any guns in this game that have them? I so desperately miss those kills from the last game. I know there wasn't a lot of focus on bayonetes in WWII, but it'd be nice if there was at least one gun that allowed me to scratch that itch in BF5.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

The only offensive thing you have done is play Fallout 76.

Why would anybody play Fallout 76? Did they lose a bet or something?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Always go down with your tank.

ALWAYS.

Now and forever.

Also, yeah, tanks desperately need more splash damage. The other day I shot at some dude’s feet with a tank round from the Valentine and it only took 40% health away from him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Beach Party posted:

So I'm on the last part of this week's challenges where as a squad you need to get 2 nuke kills and after 10+ kills I'm thinking maybe it only works if you are the one calling it in. Soooooo I feel dumb for asking but how the hell do you drop one? I hit LB+RB and move the stick up to highlight it.. but what do you do after that? Everything I try just brings me back to my weapon. I've tried hitting right trigger.. hitting left trigger.. hitting them both at the same time.. holding the triggers.. holding the bumpers in all sorts of combos. I just can't seem to figure it out. Sometimes it blacks out half the screen and sometimes it doesn't. Is there some trick to it?

Use the shoulder buttons to bring up the reinforcement wheel, then highlight the bomb, and then while it's highlighted, let go of the shoulder buttons.

It'll then bring up some binoculars for you to look through, and you paint the target, hit the fire button and in about 15-20 seconds that area will be destroyed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

On that note, I finally managed to get a significant number of kills with the V-1 last night. The area between B and D on Rotterdam was swarming with enemies with a few minutes to go and I think I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 kills with it to satisfy that Tides of War requirement.

Such a satisfying feeling, those giant bombs taking out a third of the team.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Beach Party posted:

Thanks you guys for the tips on calling the bomb in. I didn't realize there was a lockout if someone else was dropping one so I think that's where my problem was!

Yeah, I believe that there will be a little rectangular timer bar in the bottom right portion of the screen (with the name of your faction's bomb model on it) that depletes itself, showing when you can call in another bomb.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I've utterly maxed out the shotgun and hoooooooooooo boy this thing makes the BF1 12g automatic shotgun look like a peashooter.

GRUESOME, BLOODY DEATH AT MEDIUM TO CLOSE RANGE. Wider spread! Heavier buckshot! And 7 rounds in lieu of 5.

*chef finger kiss*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I always hang back behind the line or engage at mid/long range (never sniping though gently caress that) should I try shotguns or at least getting closer than normal? Someone give me the primer on doing that and not dying every time.

If you are a primary 12g shotgun player, dispense with any pretense of having a good KDR, because the reward for shotgun play is just as high as the risk. You will die. A lot. But you will also roll up on 3-4 people, often, who don't know you're there, and proceed to remove their brains from their skulls in quick fashion. Their helmets also comically fly off when struck and make that satisfying PA-TING noise.

Ultimately though, it depends on what kind of player you are. If you're someone who runs into places first in the hopes of nabbing an objective, play with the automatic shotgun. There's a 50/50 chance of wiping out a bunch of people before some guy 20 feet behind you murders you dead. The thing with the shotgun is that it's perfect for close quarters and inside of buildings and barns, but God help you if you're running through a field and someone spots you at distance. You will almost certainly be killed.

But I cannot stress enough how great it feels to flank an objective, only to discover that there are a half dozen people facing away from you and then kill all of them. This is especially fantastic when dealing with prone snipers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Man alive, this killcam is broken as poo poo. A split second camera smashcut to the person who killed you, who, 50% of the time, doesn't have the red blob around him or her, then straight to the respawn screen.

Sometimes I don't even get the benefit of a killcam. It just goes straight to the respawn screen.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I used this for 2 years almost and it was rad because it was on all my guns and vehicles. It was also neat seeing the Bullet Club pennant fly underneath the objective flag when my squadmates and I took one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Definitely thrilled with the promise of a proper killcam, and the netcode being improved.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'd just love to see something mildly similar to the close quarters pigeon-based mortar strikes I could unleash with the assault tank in BF1. Whatever the WWII equivalent of such a thing would be. Obviously no pigeon, though.

EDIT: And extend the cooldown time if need be, because while I loved the assault tank special attack more than anything, if used correctly with WWII tech, someone could become nearly unstoppable in this game.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 18, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

That’s not a bad idea. Maybe some sticky bombs for tank treads? Mortars would work, too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ohhhh dear. I've worked my way through the specializations tree for the trench shotgun, and my precious baby is back once more. Even better than the BF1 version! And the bayonet!

Erasing fools left and right on Rotterdam, Arras and Narvik with it. Praise jebus.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Also, the Ribeyrolles 1918 is still an absurdly fantastic weapon and i'm going to stick with that for a while as Assault. Slap a 3x scope on that bad boy and get some great mid-to-long range distance kills.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Protip: AA Tank can tow an AA gun behind it making you the bane of every loving plane on the map

Now I am become death, destroyer of planes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

*drops 300 dollars on gun stocks and facepaint*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Spent an hour last night just grinding stuff in Recon class; got nearly 7,000 points one round just spotting people and reaping the benefits of spot assists. Wanted to try something different for a change. Everybody got seen (and got).

It was on Hamada.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I went so far as to have a PC flight stick for BF Vietnam through BF 4. It helped flying anything in a major way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Several rifles and the M1897 shotgun have bayonet options in the unlock tree.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

*finishes reading patch notes*

:getin:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Bananana posted:

what if, when you pulled the trigger, only Love came out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ifibwk5o40

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’ve been trying out new Assault Class guns and I am liking the hell out of the STG 44, especially after maxing out the part of the tree that reduces the recoil even more in both directions.

The dot sight is also very erotic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah, I just use the German AA to drive through walls and shout "HELLO!" at infantry hiding behind said walls.

They hate it when you do that, by the way. Boy oh boy do they hate that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Breakthrough is for people who enjoy 64 player metro.

Aka sadists.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'd grab an AA tank on Zavod and spend the first few minutes of the map cutting down trees on our side of the map with the 30mm cannons.

The whole side of the map would feature hardly any trees for people to hide behind. Anybody assaulting us would be instantly spotted and murdrered. Was it a little tedious? Sure. But 5-6 minutes worth of work made a world of difference in winning or losing.

Don't even get me started on parking my AA tank-drivin' rear end at C on Golmud Railway with a squad dedicated to defending me and issuing a statement in the public chat that half of the map was now officially a "No Fly Zone". If I did get killed at C, i'd just jihad jeep all the other tanks at various points around the map until they gave up.

Basically, BF4 owned and I miss it dearly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuF1T4sUOa4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/EA_DICE/status/1106179622981550080