Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Half of Fox's viewership is 68 or more and isn't replacing fast enough to stay viable. Fox is going to have to pivot hard to remain watched, scale down operations or close down altogether.

It's not like Fox pivoting to the center would even ball that unprecedented. When Otis Chandler took over the LA Times, it went from a mouthpiece of the republican party to being an actually good newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

People still listen to AM/FM radio because people still drive to work.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

for radio i'm probably spoiled for choice because there's 89 different stations where i live.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Geostomp posted:

God only knows what kind of thought process it takes for this one thing to be the breaking point.

One too many pivot fakeouts

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

:derp: is the emoticon for arzying.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

My commute home takes me past a pair of taco trucks every day so hmmmmmm....

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i ended up re-reading those articles about how much of a shitshow romney's it infrastructure was back in 2012. how much worse do you think trump's is gonna be?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

but do they have the quaaaark vote?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

gently caress, I'd vote Quark over Trump, Ferengi at least honor their contracts (even if they negotiate shadily)

rom for president

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Yinlock posted:

Yes but he also has proof that he will be the healthiest candidate in history because he has a signed doctor's note, because apparently the government is primary school.

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/771748574585434112

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/771748423917707264

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/771748290517798913

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Perhaps the real solution isn't personalized autonomous transportation, but instead a system with dedicated lines capable of transporting large groups of people all at the same time with less fuel costs.

If only there was some way to transport a mass of people at once in vehicles with a high passenger capacity.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

zoux posted:

I skipped about 1k posts to get to.....this, so have we discussed the Gretchen Carlson settlement itt yet?

i mean, it's great for carlson and all that fox is finally doing something about the harassment at fnc.

but it's a third the size of the severance package ailes got

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Wait, since when has Hillary been the vice president or speaker of the house?

she's not even president pro tempore of the senate

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

L-O-N posted:

Do people think that the Clintons skim money from their foundation or something? Because that's the only reason I can think of to be mad at an organization that takes money from rich people and gives it to the poor.

yes i can imagine how easy it must be to skim money from a 501(c)3 where all the finances are available to the public without anybody knowing

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i wonder how much of this hypercritical coverage on hillary while brushing off the actual poo poo trump is doing is because after decades of conservatives saying "liberal media liberal media liberal media LIBERAL MEDIA LIBERAL MEDIA!" a lot of the news outlets have moved to the right to avoid accusations of bias

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

it'll be like that urban legend about the kennedy-nixon debates except not at all where the people watching it live say that hillary won and the people who watch the highlights after the fact will say that trump won.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Petr posted:

According to 21st Century Fox, they are now paying the entire settlement. Ailes not paying anything. Source: Twitters.

that's not true, he paid -$60 million dollars

because he was paid $60 million dollars

3x the amount they paid out to grechen carlson

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Assange is going on Hannity tonight. :lol:

one defends sexual harassers, the other is a rapist, what a match.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/773257404507123712

Can't wait for Hannity to ask the hard hitting questions about his rape accusations

hasn't assange said that "yeah i did it but i don't think that should be called rape," which, uh...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

If by several months you mean less than two.

May was the infamous "mission accomplished" photo.

June was the start of the insurgency, or does the US launching the first of many counterinsurgency missions not count?

grover on March 18th, 2003 posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Comments/Thoughts: The most difficult part will be holding Turkey and Iran back from the Kurdish territories after it's all said and done. I think most Iraqis will just surrender. Those that don't are most of the 3,000 dead. I expect hardcore troops to launch chemical attacks, but I expect them to have very limited effeciveness.

Edit- drat, I posted, then went back to read everyone else said- why are you all thinking this'll take weeks and weeks and weeks? Even if there's stiff opposition, the US will be in Baghdhad 24 hours after the first tank rolls into Iraq...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i mean yeah posts like that in the context of today show how spectacularly wrong those attitudes were in hindsight, and while that grover post is an extreme lowball, the rest of the thread is pretty typical of that attitudes of the time.

remember that we were still in the post-9/11 "america needs revenge" mentality, and the only real war in living memory was the first gulf war, which was very widely seen as a success and had cultivated an attitude of "america can do no wrong" on the right.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Wasn't ABM something Bush II pushed for pre-9/11 despite nobody wanting it?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Majorian posted:

Told you she was a closet neocon.:tinfoil:

Oh my god I had forgotten about this poo poo.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Majorian posted:

And Rove played the part of the Svengali so well. Until we learned, oh wait, he's actually dumb as poo poo.

it's funny how back then rove was seen as this electoral mastermind and then fast forward to 2012 and all i can think of is that screencap of a sad karl rove wearing a cowboy hat

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Quorum posted:

A pretty good (teeny tiny) presser there for Clinton, she handled it well and gave good responses. Plus, no emails questions! Turns out if you just treat the press like the whiny pissbabies they are, they'll stop throwing tantrums for long enough to ask slightly less hackneyed questions.

also stuck by her answers of "no troops on the ground in iraq and syria." which wasn't a surprise but it was nice to hear.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boon posted:

He's not wrong. We literally have missiles that shoot down missiles. He's an idiot who understands ONLY that point though - no concept of how it works or what it takes to make that happen or even what the implications are. That said, she sure as gently caress didn't have it in Reagan's time.

What Trump is talking about sounds like nuclear tipped strategic ABM, which we've never really had.

The ABM that we had in the gulf was was obviously conventionally tipped, and that was the PATRIOT system which, as Dr. Zeigler said wasn't as effective as it was hyped to be (GHWB claimed it had a 97% success rate, the Army later said it was closer to 70% in Saudi Arabia and 40% in Israel). And in OIF there were several cases of Patriot batteries shooting down or nearly shooting down US aircraft.

The older systems like Nike Zeus were poop from a butt in terms of effectiveness since they could only target a single missile, and the Soviets had moved on to MRV and later MIRV systems pretty quickly.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/774028706071187456

edit: motherFUCK

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

ahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/774030932319744000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/774032246743310336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

size1one posted:

Strangely enough if you goto the PDF and copy-paste the "v" changes to a "y". unicode??

OCR error

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Majorian posted:

What up, fellow (anti-)BMD person?:hfive:

A Good Post. If there was one thing I could communicate to all American voters...well, it would probably be that global warming is a thing, and we should probably get on with dealing with it. But a close second would be how much BMD is not an answer to the threat of nuclear proliferation and missile launches. The arms race with the Soviets was a very, very bad thing for international security. More ABMs = more nuclear weapons being built to get around those ABMs. More nuclear weapons = greater threat that those weapons and other nuclear technology will fall into the wrong hands.

i'm pretty sure there's more knowledge of BMD in this thread than there is in the entire trump campaign.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Because it actually is a pdf ocr error.

It just also aligns perfectly with wikileaks new (((commentary)))

also because assange weirdly doubled down on it being a department of state typo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Harambe would depend on who his running mate is, since effectively that's who you'd be voting for.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Flag Day exists so that retailers have an excuse to leave up all their patriotic decorations between Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

it also kinda ties in to the whole "states rights" whitewashing of the civil war that's been going on since the 1890's

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Romans isn't so much fiction as it is just one latecomer to the party's ramblings on his theology. The best part being that the book of James is basically telling him (Paul) off and making GBS threads all over his Salvation through Faith and Grace Alone doctrine. Even better given that it was James, the Brother of Jesus, writing it.

Also half of the NT books written by Paul probably were written by somebody else in Paul's name.

Also the line where he said "and women shouldn't speak up in church, but should wait till they get home and ask their husbands." doesn't appear in earlier manuscripts of that book, and where it does, it's been added in in somebody else.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Pakled posted:

True, though of course, it's not everything. Bill had net +19 approval going into the 2000 election and we all know how that turned out.

It didn't help that Gore tried to distance himself from Clinton as much as possible during the campaign on the assumption that the 8 years of manufactured Clinton scandals would hurt him if he was seen as Bill Clinton's third term.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I thought Arzy was a WaPo coloumist or something. I didn't know he was a poster.

Yup. In 2008 he was very] pro-Obama and would freak out at the slightest dip in poll numbers against McCain, which led to the term "Arzying" being coined.

Somehow by 2012 he had gone full in on Romney and would smugly act like Romney was 100% certain to win and ended up eating an 11 year probation.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

joe biden would have been a better president than george h.w. bush.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

didn't you know that racism ended forever on jan 19th 2009?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/feed/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/

Clinton is going after Pepe. Reddit is having a loving meltdown about this attack on their Nazi frog.

This makes me feel bad for Matt Furie that his art has become so entwined with this poo poo.

• Locked thread