Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It is. There's lots of economic evidence that a $15/hr min/wage nationally isn't a good idea.

But I guess this makes me some traitor to progressive-liberalism and basically a republican or something.

I'd like to see some of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Le Saboteur posted:

At her DNC speech did she not clearly state she was supporting a $15 minimum wage, I swear I remember her saying just that.

"If you believe that companies should share profits, not pad executive bonuses, join us. If you believe the minimum wage should be a living wage… and no one working full time should have to raise their children in poverty, join us."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Republican's literally received checks from Tobacco companies on the floor on camera after voting on a bill relating to them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Monaghan posted:

I'm a little troubled when an a presidential candidate can just decide to not meet with the press.

One side hasn't held as many press conferences as the press likes but still talks to them all the time, the other literally said that press that is mean to him will be banned once he is president then had their cameras cut and takes the press passes anyway from anyone who dare speak ill of him.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

I don't loving know but it is amazing to witness. This forum has gone from the most (appropriately) cynical take on American politics to shilling hard for what amounts to a status quo neoliberal hawk with nice platitudes towards minorities and middle ground kind-of progressive pledges which she may or may not pursue when in office. Yeah of course Republicans are horseshit hypocrites when they try to attack her, of course they make up tons of bullshit about her that not real scandals, of course Trump is literally the worst in every single way. None of that precludes her genuinely problematic traits and her garbage rear end incrementalist never-really-progressive politics. I too will GLADLY vote for Hillary Clinton in November, but it doesn't mean I have no delude myself into thinking shes actually a president I want.

You are like the 100th person so say this but not provide any evidence of her "never-really-progressive" politics, Hillary's platform is the leftmost ever run and her positions and policies have always been to the left of the rest of the party.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Good God people. I thought it was common knowledge that Hillary is a left leaning centrist. She's not a progressive except in the sense that America is so right wing that anybody even slightly left gets mistaken for progressive. But so what? Being a little more hawkish than the average liberal isn't some kind of indictment against her.

Common knowledge requires evidence, you keep saying it's true doesn't make it true. One vote on Iraq that she did for the express purpose of getting funding for 9/11 repairs and has since regretting does not invalidate her 25+ years of progressive policies. I've never seen a politician projected on so much, like earlier someone said that her Senate voting record was centrist but did not provide a single example, hell her senate votes lined up with Bernie Sanders like 90% of the time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

"Common sense reforms that reduce government waste" is such a bs line that the right always uses when they want to make big promises without raising taxes. I have never once seen it work.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

OddObserver posted:

From that story:

Yes, because largely celebrity interviews are a great credential for discussing foreign policy.

They should be enough to teach you to not interrupt one person you are interviewing constant and let the other ramble on endlessly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Not viewing an ad is by definition not stealing because nothing was taken. The whole analogy of physical goods to the Internet is a farce because anything that is on the Internet is by definition post-scarcity. You can copy an article infinitely and the original owner still has it.

They sell their services in exchange for ad views or subscriptions, someone has to pay for it or we lose what little journalism we have left.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

And the biggest ad blockers have a whitelist feature for non-intrusive ads. If they could restrain themselves in what they put up it wouldn't be a problem for them, but they can't help but make obnoxious, stupid ads.

Sure lets say ads are bad but everyone keeps ignoring the other half, what started this was someone posting a way to get around the subscription to the site.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Then it sounds like it's a failed model that should go away.

We can't put the genie back in the bottle on post-scarcity information. We should embrace it as a net positive for our society and work to improve on it.

But if nobody pays it will just disappear, journalism just doesn't appear out of thin air it requires feet on the ground actually doing things and that requires money, "I don't like how you charge for this so I'm going to do everything I can to get around it because I still want it" is not a valid argument. What method of payment would you even consider?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Then it would seem the system isn't working out for them.

I don't have an answer for how journalism should make money. But trying to tack technological development that make our lives better down so corporations can make more money is the answer, I'd rather they went out of business.

Blocking ads and bypassing subscriptions are worth losing journalism? As bad as corruption is now do you really think poo poo would get better with no press?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Andrast posted:

Alright, the US has similar systems. How does this affect my original point that journalism doesn't need to be for-pay at all?

I'd be ok with this if we had the right laws protecting them, the Republicans try to pull NPRs funding everytime NPR says anything that mildly offends them you have to be very careful if the people who are supposed to be watching the government are also paid by them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

No. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the monetization of something that no longer has scarcity. Current methods of achieving that are apparently insufficient. They aren't making enough money to sustain themselves. And at that point, you are faced with allowing traditional journalism to disappear and be replaced by something else - and it absolutely would - or use stupid, draconian copyright law to punish consumers for doing the rational thing in response to post-scarcity: treating the non-scarce item as worthless, economically.

How does it not have scarcity? You keep acting like investigations/journalism/articles just sort of appear out of thin air for free, a newspaper has never been about the physical paper its been about the content it contained.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's about my heritage. Don't ask why the only part of my heritage that I obsess about it a few year period 100 years ago when my ancestors went to war for their right to own people.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

speng31b posted:

Pissed off Bernout or Putin spy?

Imaginary straw-friend.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NathanScottPhillips posted:

My concerns over Trumps health are 1/1000th the size of my concerns about the direction our country is headed.

Everyone calls Trump the fascist when we all know for a fact Clinton sabotaged the democratic process using backroom deals in order to cement herself as the nominee. That's fascism by its purest definition.

Trump is a monkey wrench I want to throw into those gears rather than let the machine continue on for another 8 depressing years.

I would love to see these "facts" she got more votes then Bernie deal with it. Where do you think the country is headed and how will Trump make it better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Firstly you can't say "no it's not" without backing it up with reasoning. Bypassing democracy to gain power through authoritarian means is fascism, thanks.

Secondly, that cost will be taken regardless. Unless I've missed something, those groups have always been marginalized and Hillary uses them as pawns whenever convenient and tosses then aside when politically fruitful. Let's be real.

You've shown 0 evidence for many wild claims, maybe you should start first with the "backing it up with reasoning". Hillary has been fighting for women/minority rights since her early 20s do you think she's been doing this as some sort of secret plot for 40-50 years?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz resigned because she was involved in a fascist authoritarian conspiracy.

What conspiracy? What exactly did she do and how was Hillary involved?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This is the failure of America in the modern age. Everyone is a lawyer, no one is honest.

What is the honest truth then I would like to know if you could just provide some sort of evidence or anything to your claim beyond "because I said so" or "it's just true everyone knows it"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yes it is common knowledge that Debbie Wasserman-Schultz resigned because she , as the head of the DNC, lead a conspiracy to favor Clinton in the nomination before the race even started.

What did this conspiracy entail?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And his favorability numbers among women and minorities will continue to plummet.

This man is currently losing white women, a demographic Romney won by 17 points. Women also conveniently make up 54% of the electorate.

Why do some people here have such low expectations of Clinton for the debates? She can stick up for herself you know. If Trump is trying to bully the moderator she knows what to do. She withstood a 9 hour interrogation and literally brushed the shade off her shoulder during it. She won't allow the debate to get out of her hands. She knows exactly how Trump is going to act and knows exactly what to do.

No one has doubted Hillary's performance, they have doubted the media's ability to actually report what happened accurately.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

iospace posted:

Still digging up a video link, but have a text link from an embed:
https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/776149310505377792

Posted like 8 hours ago with video and everything.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Completely disagree. She's running around chasing John Negroponte and Henry Kissinger's endorsements.

If you find yourself needing to make poo poo up to prove your point maybe you should reevaluate where your positions are coming from?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Bernie isn't going to be the new Nader because Hillary isn't going to lose.

If she does lose, finding the new Nader is going to be the least of our problems.

Also, seconding the "the problem isn't the candidate being bad, it's the electorate being bad" hot take.

Exactly this, I don't hate Donald Trump for being Donald Trump dude obviously has all sorts of mental issues etc. However I do worry for a country where nearly half of them thinks Donald 'Everything I say is a crazy lie or crazy bigoted statement' Trump is fit to be president despite EVERYTHING HE HAS SAID ON A DAILY BASIS.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

There's a point where you guys are going to have to reconcile the beliefs of "yeah, she's a lovely campaigner but a great candidate" and "WHY DOESNT ANYONE LIKE ABUELA THEYRE ALL SEXISTS"

Turns out being a lovely campaigner means that people who aren't directly following politics might not think you're the perfect candidate

How do you counter 30 years of people making increasingly ridiculous statements about you and everyone believing it unquestioningly?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Hillary does need to switch to talking about how great her stuff is instead of talking about how losing her opponent is, though. I was expecting that shift to have begun weeks ago

She has been nonstop, nobody listens and then pretends she doesn't have a platform or ideas.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

One of the many egregious failings of the Hillary camp so far is to run on a campaign of unceasing optimism about the status quo in America today. poo poo like "America is already great!" doesn't ring true for the majority of Americans who're drowning in debt, haven't gotten a raise in years, find themselves unable to afford homes or healthcare, etc. It's one thing to run on a platform of "Obama did good things, let's keep working on them!" Hillary's message comes across as "everything is great as-is!"

But poo poo is better, is took 8 years to undo the damage from Bush but incomes and other measures are up across the board. You'll notice every republican who talked about how awful the country was doing during the convention mention how their state was the exception and is doing great. Hillary has not said she is keeping the status quo and does have plans to improve things further that she talks about every day.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

LOL. drat Sanders for pointing out that Clinton supported the TPP and got millions of dollars from big banks to "give speeches". Clinton's flaws are the fault of people who point them out.

Why is give speeches in scare quotes, you know almost every politician/public figure does get paid quite a bit to do speeches because having a name like that at your event helps raise your prestige, like this isn't some magical secret Clinton only thing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

Trying to figure out why Hillary is struggling so badly in the polls while simultaneously blaming every criticism/flaw of her campaign on Bernie/millenials/CNN/the unwashed masses

Says the man who makes false claims about what she is campaigning on and ignores when corrected to keep throwing around false accusations are you here to actually say something with any amount of backing or just fling bullshit and strawman everyone?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

I think the main "attractant" here is basically "Look at that guy. Seriously, look at that orange motherfucker. Why don't you get on the winning team?" as opposed to "Let's build our strategy around you."

Did you even watch the DNC? Their entire deal was about patriotism and how great America is and it did work to sway a bunch of Republicans, many tweeted about how it felt like they were almost watching the RNC instead.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Remember that time a terrorist murdered 50 people in a gay club and the Democrats response was to insist on gun control measures that wouldn't have prevented the shooting? That was fun.

Which measure did they push and why would it of been ineffective?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Expanded background checks and no guns for people on the no-fly list. It was a big thing, Democrats sat on the floor because Republicans wouldn't let those bills get voted on.

And would it of not worked in that situation?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

acejackson42 posted:

Thing is, it depends on the situation. That church-shooting fucker ended up on a three-day wait list while his gun purchasing application was processed. No answer came before the three days, after which it was up to the retailer whether or not to sell the gun, and of course he sold the gun. It came back later that the shooter had been denied and the ruling hadn't reached the retailer in time.

Extended background checks might help in this case -- no sale before the check is through, period. This should never, ever without even a hint of anything be an issue. But the loving NRA and GOP exist, so it's still 'no problem sir here you go good luck with your church massacre'.

Until there's D president and D supermajority congress and senate, nothing is ever, ever ever ever ever ever ever ever changing.

Ever.

Specifically talking about the Pulse shooter here though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Do you just keep the repeating the same wrong nonsense as an argument? Her campaigns and political organizations have employed every person I mentioned.

Why are you so obsessed with this several threads now this is the only thing you constantly push and talk about is about how bad she is like you don't have a single post that isn't "Hillary bad so bad worst ever sad", ignoring every piece of evidence thrown your way with a "no u"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

It's almost like everybody forgot the two term president George W. Bush! Or Ronald Reagan! And how loving terrible they bro where and how it will take decades of no major Republican victories to have a chance at recovering from them.

loving morons.

Obama was so bad he ruined the economy a whole year before being sworn in. He was also President for a day back in Sept 11th 2001.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the thing for me is clinton isn't good but they aren't hating her for the things that make her not good because it's things they like - loving banks and making war.

63 people die in a bombing at the beirut embassy under reagan (dems even controlled congress at the time) but we need to spend years and millions on a witch hunt over benghazi. it's insane.

When has she made war or passed any pro-bank legislation? Unless you mean the Iraq vote from 10+ years ago something she did along with the rest of the senate in exchange for 9/11 support for NY, that wasn't the deciding vote and that she later said she regrets?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Indigofreak posted:

Really late to the discussion, but as a software developer, when she said, "Like with a cloth?" It really irritated me. It seems to me despises the entire population, and holds us all in contempt. She is God's given president for us and if we don't like it, we can go gently caress ourselves. She lies at every turn. No, I don't care all that much about Benghazi. But, I do care about her emails, because she sacrificed security over what was easier for her. It's always about her. At least some politicians can act like they care about us, but for her, she says anything that will be convenient at the time. Paraphrasing, she says she will be put coal miners out of work then turns around and acts like she was misquoted. She has to be drug in to a loving vehicle by her staff or SS, and then acts like its a loving wonderful day hours later.

I am all for voting in a female president. Just give me one I can pretend I don't despise.

To be clear, I'm not casting a vote for president, unless at the last second I feel like Mickey Mouse deserves my vote.

Could you show some examples of these lies? I hear this alot about how she lies about everything but I can't ever seem to find any actual evidence.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Indigofreak posted:

I'm saying that every presidential election is hyped beyond belief. And I will not be manipulated because, 'OMG ITS ALL OVER, if you don't vote for the slightly less lovely of the 2 SHITTIEST people we brought before you.'

Against someone like Trump it should be a landslide. I have a hard time believing Gore, or Obama would be so close against Trump as Clinton is at the moment. Both parties are so hosed to put forth such lovely candidates.

--

Sorry edit to make it clearer.

We are all still here and America is in great shape. Obama helped after a Bush. It wasn't all over. We aren't fully recovered sure, but we certainly aren't in the hell hole W left us in now are we?

What lies and cheats has Hillary made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

I am sure that Hillary Clinton would be a political player, probably at the national level, probably even a Senator or Cabinet position right now if she'd never married Bill. But if you think that she'd be the presumptive nominee for the Democratic party two elections in a row without her relationship with Bill Clinton, you are a crazy person.

Why? She had her sights set on running for office since she was like 20? Are you to saying that America wouldn't be ready to vote for a female if it wasn't one who happened to be married to a president.

• Locked thread