Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

See it's not a statue, it's a cocoon and Laurel is gonna bust out of it in the mid season finale.

There is no Laurel only Zuul.

I liked that they had a flashback to him learning to dislocate his thumbs BEFORE he used that skill. They've done it the other way round a few times and it always feels more hokey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just caught a trailer for next week's Arrow. Are they doing Snowflame of all people?
E: Wait, that's Cody Rhodes

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, not telling your ex-fiance about your new boyfriend isn't really in the realm of "comic book secrets." She's just avoiding awkward conversations and hurting his feelings.

At least until he turns out to be Prometheus and it turns out he's been learning everything about all the super heroes by stealing it from Felicity.

Nah, he's probably Slade. Somehow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

To we have Mr Teriffic and Ragman, I can't recall if the girl has an official codename yet (I assume she'll be Artemis) and what's the one for the last guy? I keep replacing his name with Sportsmaster.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I thought the only people allowed near Kovar are Bratva?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

We cannot allow a vigilante gap!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ah, "only Bratva can get close to him" was meant as using force of arms? I assumed it was an undercover "go in as an 'ally' and shoot him in the face" thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Slide Walson

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Has Supergirl introduced Martian Manhunter's weakness, being on fire, yet?

Yes, though it seems to be more of a PTSD factor from watching his family get burned.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Between the four CWDC shows, they've made 8 full seasons of comic book television without a single clone. That's amazing.

Does Bizarro Supergirl count?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I had some distractions in the first flashback scene. Was it basically
"I thought joining Bratva was going to get me close to Kovar."
"Yes, not by subterfuge but by killing our way through his troops."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Maybe I'm imagining things but I feel like I've seen this same kind of thing happen wrt alien language before in some other sci fi thingy.

Or I read it in a book, or something.

Gematria/Kabbalah/Numerology is big in stuff like alchemy, mysticism and ancient alien theories. It comes up a lot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think Arrow may be the first show I've seen in a while that has more than one Jewish character when they're not related and it's not core to the plot or anything. It's not something I look for in shows, though, so I may have missed some. And it's not something that comes up often either, until the Christmas season when some token pulls out a yarmulke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I like how the alien language on the tablet was an orange version of the matrix.

My brother and I were discussing what that language could be that Rags would recognize it as Gematria and our best guess is it's just numbers. He looked at it, said "there's an 18, I bet that means "life" just like in Hebrew" and rolled with it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

So I haven't watched a full episode of this silly show besides the crossover since season 1, so I channel-surfed right into this gob-smacking murder and walked away confused. I thought Hood/Arrow/Green Arrow stopped killing people so he could really be the CW's dollar store Batman, but he's back to killing people with extreme prejudice and, shocker, it blows up in his face spectacularly? What?

In Seasojn 1 he killed people willy-nilly, and it's ramped down over the seasons until S4 when he was pathologically not killing people (aside from mooks, anyway) and the way he beat Dhark was realizing "some folks just need killin". So now in S5 he's stepped it back up a bit in brutality but is generally on the "better to drag them to the cops" side of things.

The flashbacks in this episode were to stuff that happened in Season 1. His murder-spree coming back to haunt him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

He wasn't called it by name, but we basically had Yet Another Count Vertigo (Count Slidee?) this week and I love that it keeps popping back up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"We've written a gun control law that doesn't restrict purchase or use."
"Then what does it do?"
"Gives us a way to get out of this political mess of a corner we painted the episode into."

twistedmentat posted:

The shooting was pretty terrifying because it didn't look like the other action scenes, just a nutbar shooting people, rather than criminals going after Team Arrow.

Yeah, I was surprised they had a TV-14 warning before an episode of Good Guy Shoots People, but in context it was handled pretty differently.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It feels like they decided on the flashback origin story first, and the gun control debate was the only thing they could think of to hang around it to make an episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

No Arrow tonight? Pfeh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They should have kept up Flash's musical episode to this one so we could have Ollie's rendition of "I Killed a Guy (and I liked it)."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Beautiful ending

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tiggum posted:

[...] with a panel discussion featuring at least one person who's a crazy conspiracy theorist.

"Look, it's clear where this is going. Oliver Queen is the Arrow! He's got Lance and the PD in his pocket!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Heck, my favorite ANW attempt was when the Red Ranger (from whatever the current TV iteration is, not the new movie) competed last year, and he went out on the first obstacle. Held on by his fingertips from a bad jump for a good 30-60 seconds trying to salvage it, though, and that's the kind of heart you want to see in a power ranger. You don't have to do well to do good.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 6, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

I went from thinking maybe Manu is kind of a dick and difficult to work with to thinking he's hilarious.

It all depends on how much the other folks are in on it. It's one thing to play around like this, it's another if you do it while someone's actually trying to set the record straight for whatever reason.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

hangedman1984 posted:

I liked how they censored Amell's lower half, making it look like he was running around the woods naked

ALL he got was the stupid t-shirt.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zebulon posted:

Could do what several goons have suggested and shut down "Arrow" and reboot as "Arrow and the Outsiders" as a more heavily ensemble show now that the flashback framework is done with.

Just call it Quiver

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Why does it say "Batman"? That's totally Arrow right there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Personally I love that on a show that has resurrection pools, a dude who built a flying/shrinking suit, a boxing glove arrow, and once shot down a helicopter with an arrow in the middle of a city and just walked away and yet they can still annoy people with good old fashioned hacker gibberish.

There's a kind of beauty to it.

There's basically an uncanny valley for fiction like for human features. For an example from Agents of Shield: mutants with superpowers, a portal to the other side of the galaxy, a wasteland moon with surprisingly edible wildlife, that's all fine. But jump forward a month and the stranded person's cell phone battery is still strong enough to record video? That horks people off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That was much less painful than I expected it to be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

6-year plan man posted:

I didn't like that a stupid speech disarmed him and made him give up i thought something was messed up until I saw the preview for next week then it was ok I guess.

Forget the preview, his smile in the cell was the giveaway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did I miss something? Rene gets cold feet about his daughter, gets a big ol' pep talk that turns things around, and then doesn't go to the hearing anyway?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oracle posted:

Probably got kidnapped by Chase.

Oh probably, just making sure I didn't miss anything in the show itself. I tend to watch while doing other stuff, so if there's a short quiet scene I can easily miss it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

oof, that was a botched choreography cue in the start of the big group fight against ninjas. Diggle knocks one down, twitches and then runs off screen. A second later another ninja runs in and "gets flipped" by nothing. Front and center of the camera too, they must have been on a really tight shooting schedule.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://zippy.gfycat.com/PeskyGratefulKarakul.webm feels like someone missed a choreography cue, the way he just flips like that. Bound to happen in big scene like this, just a shame it was center-stage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't understand how the battering ram obstacle works. Shouldn't it slide back as well due to physics?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is Amell the guy who makes it a personal challenge to see how much he can do instead of the stuntmen, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

He's in prison I believe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Decius posted:

Oh man, the concrete trap in S05E21 is so stupidly done. "Oh, concrete is pouring in from a hole in the wall at shoulder height. We only have minutes to live!" Yeah, you realise this could never fill the room higher than the lower edge of the hole and there are about 2 meters of space left above it?

Not true depending where it's being pumped in from.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's the trolley problem with nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

At least they picked a side, unlike Arrow. I liked the Nable character but boy did the writers squander his potential that season.

I kinda agree, but I have a lot of trouble hating on a season that had that wonderful mid-finale chumpfight. Big ol' showdown with swelling heroic music --> block, skewer, kicked off a cliff, roll credits.

• Locked thread