Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

I wonder if it's time to add like Sweeps Week and Tollbooth to the MWL along with all the other NBN cards.
These are not the problem cards. It's EoI by a country mile, then Rumor Mill, then maybe (maybe) Blackmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Voodoofly posted:

The fact that you can't even shut off EoI with siphon/vamp amazes me. Even closed accounts costs 1 to play.

The thing that blows my mind is the EoI/Breaking News non-trigger interaction. It feels like a "the rules shouldn't do this" situation like MaskNaught in Vintage.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

My objection to Rumour Mill isn't so much the pure power level (although it absolutely ruins any Jinteki deck that wants to leave agendas on the board for more than a turn). It's just really bad, binary, sledgehammer game design. "Your cards do nothing" is both frustrating and boring as a concept because it leaves very little room for counter-play. Employee Strike is nearly as bad for the same reason. Corp IDs tend to be very impactful and decks are built around them. The fact that it hoses the more interesting IDs more than the generic ones makes it even worse - shutting off say, IG or PE or Blue Sun is more impactful, I think, than shutting off Palana or Sync or ETF. Cerebral Static is just as bad. They're just badly designed, unfun, non-interactive cards.

A Good Opinion.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Apparently Dan D'Argenio is on CI7 for Worlds

A haha haha

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

Also does anyone know if there are any streams besides the official FFG one?

Dodgepong is running their own unlicensed stream

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Don't know how powerful this is gunna be, but oh boy is it going to be super fun. They also pointed out that the runner encounters the outermost ice, not approached it. This means the runner cant jack out.

But it also means you can't rez it. So you'll need to have rezzed already whatever they're gonna hit. May I suggest splashing for Executive Boot Camp to rez a Whirlpool over a well-trapped archives and live the dream?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Step 1: Play Aginfusion
Step 2: Play Executive Boot Camp
Step 3: Place Excalibur on Archives
Step 4: Rez Excalibur

You forgot "use Sensie Actors Union to overdraw and dump shi.kyu and shocks into Archives." :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Isnt random milling basically useless?

In a 60-card magic deck full of 4-of cards and bricks in the form of lands, yes.

In a 45-card netrunner deck with max 3-of (and often less), there's much less recursionredundancy, and thus even if you hit something they have 2-of, it can be backbreaking for them to dig up the other.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 4, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That Ben Li semifinal is the most exciting thing I've ever seen, and as close to "all in <walks away from table>" at the WSOP that NetRunner has ever gotten. Such a great ending.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Self-Adapting Code Wall is hot garbage, though. Magnet is the same cost, 2 higher strength, a less-common type, already blanks Parasite (AND Caissas) and can suck up parasites/caissas from elsewhere. There's no way the influence is worth such garbage-tier ice. SACW might actually be worse than Salvage, if such a thing is possible.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

What exactly is the 23 seconds incident? And Whizzard is dead in whatever storyline there is?

I'm moderately interested in Android/Netrunner lore, but only started following the game in the last two months or so.

Null leaked some intel to Omar Keung about how to hack into Titan Transnational. Omar did and shut down everything for 23 seconds - all transactions lost, and trillions of creds evaporated. The fallout was worse than the crime, as markets seized as the unassailable e-currency of credits was found to be unsafe. Elizabeth Mills decided that perennial thorn-in-her-side Whizzard, who was soon to rotate anyway, would be a handy scapegoat and hit him with a SAM to quell public fears about the netcrime menace.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What happens if you use Unregistered S&W .357 to shoot Ken "Express" Tenma?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What happened to RSVP? It seems good, no spending money on breakers to break future subs, and is effectively a hard ETR in front of trashable assets (especially with Prisec around now) I know, I know, "positional ICE," but for corps that can't spare the influence for Chum, it seems super strong, and it's in that sweet spot of code gates where it's Yog and David-proof (NRE can DIAF)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CirclMastr posted:

I somehow managed to finish in 4th place and come home with an alt art PAD Campaign and a deck box and play mat featuring Run Amok. My corp carried me, basically. RP grindy prison, 3-1 in Swiss and 2-0 after the top 8 cut, while my runner was Smoke and went 2-2 in Swiss and 0-2 after the cut.
How does Smoke lose? I haven't beaten her yet, Net Mercur is just so degenerate.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CirclMastr posted:

What else does Apex usually do with their 1 MU from Heartbeat?

Gingerbread for bullshit like Resistor that keeps him out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

I've played Apex a bit recently with an Out of the Ashes / Exclusive Party build and he's fun, but it's really obvious he only exists to give Apocalypse some flavor, and you're much better off playing Apocalypse in Shaper or Anarch than trying to make him work. There's so many cards that counter Endless Hunger that I think you're better off with Ddos, Blackmail and similar cards to get your three central accesses.

Funnily enough, I run DDoS in my Apex. It's "no non-Virtual resources," not "no resources"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Static Equilibrium posted:

Reaver triggers off trashing corp cards, right? (E.g. paying a trash cost or using imp.)

Correct. It's the best Professor card printed in a while.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Folding ?? Str - ?? Rez
Code Gate

As an additional cost to rez Datafarmer, host an Operation from HQ on Datafarmer

-> Gain credits equal to the hosted operation's cost, then play that operation, paying all costs.
What would you begin to cost/str that at?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CirclMastr posted:

What happens if you host Scorched Earth/Traffic Accident? Or an operation that costs clicks? Or Biotic Labor that gives you clicks when it's not your turn?

I assume that (due to the wording) Doubles would be unplayable, since you can't pay all costs, as you have no clicks. Not sure what Biotic labor would do, I don't think you can spend clicks on the runner's turn, but then they did errata Chairman Haas just to sidestep that particular issue. I could add "if able" to the end of it, which would handle any provisional ops like Scorched Earth.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It was at that point that my console returned an underflow error and an honest-to-god blue screen of death. Like, I didn't even know those could still happen. But it turns out when you hit a server with quantum-entangled security protocols, your system clock gets really weird. I jacked out, threw up, called Jinteki IT and asked to speak to the SysOp that had been loving with me all run. I congratulated her, threw up again, and was promptly arrested.

:five:

This is why you close your tables, people

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 17, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sensies actor's union:Sensei's Divining Top::Net Mercur:Umezawa's Jitte

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Had anyone had much luck getting Khan to work yet?
She bad.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Deleter posted:

Since nobody is going to actually answer this, I'll answer. Khan's suite is about making a big run on HQ, derezzing all the ice on the way, gaining a bunch of multi-access, and then hammering it over and over in the traditional Criminal manner. The problem with this is that all of her stuff is really expensive.

Your deck is going to want a REALLY strong economy, most likely Temujins and run-based/event economy. You want stuff that will help/reward you for installing programs and when the Corp rezzes Ice. Your limited influence is going to be on some combination of Sasahara, Ice Analyser and Scheherazade for cash, and LLDS Processor for making breaking with the birds easier. Your multi-access is going to be Turning Wheel.

If you're thinking "oh gosh, I don't have enough influence for all this," congrats, you're using your noodle! Deckbuilding is meant to be tricky! But you're also right. That support suite is gonna be all of your influence. It sucks. If you need to cut stuff, the absolute core of your imports is LLDS Processor.

Compromised Employee is in-faction, as are all the various Jobs and Security Testing to punish remotes. Account Siphon for sure. Autoscripter maybe? You generally want Generic Criminal Tricks and economy for the rest of your cards. No backup breakers - if you wanna Kahn you gotta go all in on her gimmicks.

Kahn isn't top tier, but once you get the support up and turn using the birds from a pain in the balls into a pain train on the Corp she's tons of fun.

One of the problems Khan suffers from is Splash damage. everyone is so terrified of ice destruction out of anarch that they don't run expensive ice anymore for fear of losing it so you do-rezzing ice doesn't do anything much when the Corp can rez for a credit or two

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boxman posted:

Is it too early to call Smoke/Stealth a thing? I'm considering routes of expansion (small playgroup just starting out), and the net mercur/smoke synergy seems really fun.

She's literally in the card art. It's absolutely supposed to be a thing, and it shits all over any glacier strategy. Loses hard to anything with a bit of speed behind the idea of scoring out, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Legends told of a Jinteki executive who ordered Akitaro Watanabe to set up a Whirlpool/Komainu/Cell Portal server and force the runner to Bullfrog into it. We have only apocryphal stories, but it could never be proven... until now.

E: Is autocard anywhere throwing up red boxes for anyone else the last few days?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 30, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

Also why is Show of Force not a Weyland card, I mean come on. They already missed the boat twice with PriSec and Best Defence which are as Weyland-flavoured as you can possibly get but are inexplicably neutral.

I think they want a pmc Corp to exist, but can't reveal it until they get a big box shipped, so all these borderline weyland toys get made neutral so they can be imported to a GlobalSec Corp next year

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AgentF posted:

The "can't be avoided" seems like a deliberate tweak; it's not a common enough phrase to be used without reconsideration of the card. I wonder what they had in mind that convinced them of the term's inclusion.

Not wanting a repeat of Jesminder literally blanking Argus's ID

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sonatinas posted:

poo poo yeah you are right..Those dang andy taps

Guy who has been slowing buying up all the copies of Net Police in a misguided attempt at #mtgfinance: Finally, my day has come...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

berenzen posted:

As for the players, I find that they're less cliquey and far more helpful. Yeah, you'll get your jerks (particularly online), but I think it comes down to a much smaller playerbase. If you drive players from playing in your area because of toxicity, then that's 1 less player to play with. With already such a niche game that makes it difficult to find games, the players keep their toxicity down to make sure that players come back.

Agreed that NR players are more helpful, if only out of desperation to get more players into the game.

I would absolutely recommend netdecking, NetRunner isn't magic and the game isn't won or lost in deckbuilding, but on the board state. Magic has a lot of simple board states (their blocker is tapped, so send the team, etc). While those board states exist in NR, it's only for a turn or two at the beginning; basically after the opening pokes, NR is purely about finding your outs, establishing your lines of play and balancing getting set up with advancing your win state.

To this end, I recommend netdecking because it lets you see how this is done in a competitive environment. I'd avoid any complex combo decks like CI7 or Dyper Kate, but the raw power of a bog-standard CtM or HB Fast Advance vs a Temujin Whizz or Rebirth Andy can show off a lot of what the game does well without being incomprehensible, and the more you play these tier decks, the more you'll see how it's knowing your outs and your lines that win or lose vs just getting the draws/matchups like in Magic.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone honestly believe people won't just keep Playing "legacy" netrunner after rotation and continue using Black LotusJackson Howard in almost all settings?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a Difference between respecting the MWL/Restricted list in magic and essentially creating type 2 when there isn't a scarcity of the good cards/utterly broken nonsense to justify it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yithian posted:

https://drafts.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/7/earths-scion/

Oh look, Anarchs get their very own Creeper to continue their trend of absolute horseshit killers.
And at only twice the MU as well!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

Anarchs are supposed to have terrible killers, though, it's part of their colour pie.

edit: Inversificator looks hilarious/scary/great fun

and yet SentryMIMIC gently caress is one of the most played/imported Killers in the game... :confused:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 8, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yithian posted:

Anarch is also home to some truly awful decoders, between Yog.0
please don't troll my thread

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

edit: for the record, imo the mistakes in core are
desperado
encourages running, is fine. MWL influence hit makes it fine Fine when not combined with all Anarch's recursion absolutely a terrible card and invalidates literally a third of all Code Gates printed is fine, runners should not be immune to tagging, EoI is the issue

astro (kinda fixed via functional errata??),
is fine as 1/deck Noise is terrible

possibly the overly efficient ids (kate/etf)
both IDs are too good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ninjaiguana posted:

Also 'you can spend <click> to break subroutines' is terrible wording. It should be "Host icebreaker gains '<click>: break ice subroutine'". The way it's written it implies you can spent one click to break an undefined number of subs during an encounter.
Clicks can't be spent to activate abilities mid-run, though. Your wording is impossible.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NEW ANGELES REVIEW!

It's not Battlestar Galactica, not even close. It's very, very different. Yes, there is a traitor role, but it's not so much antagonistic as it is competitive. The asset cards are wildly swingy in power, everything from "draw twice as many cards as everyone else" to "once in a blue moon gain 1 capital"

You need to be aggressive in your negotiations to achieve your goals, but this leads to bogged-down yelling matches. Why this game didn't ship with a three-minute sand timer for the support round I'll never know, but I liberated one from another game and I have to believe it will be radically improved by it next playthrough.

There is some wonkiness with the rules, as the "End of Turn" step literally happens in the middle of the turn, and then more stuff keeps happening.

One of the players picking GlobalSec makes the game trivial in the beginning, as their super-power card just mutilates the board's ability to do bad stuff to the city, and if you're the traitor and someone else is GlobalSec I don't think you can win.

The minis are all orange, despite having 3 VERY different effects, and I need to paint them immediately (or at least prime and wash them into the three colors) to help them stand out. The art is all stolen from existing cards.

Jackson Howard is a loving pissbaby terrible card, and that makes me sad, I was so excited when he popped up.

Weyland Consortium is very true to NetRunner, since they theoretically are strong but actually suck a whole bunch and other ID's are actually better at doing what Weyland wants to do.

Anyway, that's my story.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 9, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CirclMastr posted:

I'd be willing to give this game a shot if someone else bought it, but it doesn't sound super appealing.

It's a really good and fun game. It does a good job of not having downtime when you're not the "active player." I think it's a worthy successor to Dead of Winter, just not a better game than BSG at ramping up paranoia.

We also probably made a thousand misplays (I still don't quite understand how turns/rounds/event card flips work) but it definitely was fun and NetRunner as heck with literally 7 different things that could be going wrong at each of 10 different locations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bazomatic posted:

More and more I find myself wishing there was a card like mass install but for hardware.

Hyperdriver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

The new Criminal runner from the upcoming deluxe Expansion has been spoiled - on the first successful run on HQ, you may choose two cards in your heap. The corp picks one that's removed from the game, the other one goes into your grip. Neat way to give Criminals some recursion.

I can't tell if this post is Fact or Fiction

:ninja: ____:haw:____

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread