Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS 10 is really good even if it's largely just another refinement release. A lot of the app changes are really nice quality of life improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gonna quote myself from the iPhone thread:

Endless Mike posted:

From MacRumors, the current list of rumored changes (from a good source) are:
  • New, faster A10 chip (obvious)
  • Storage capacities of 32 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB
  • 3 GB RAM on 7 Plus (still 2 GB on 7)
  • Five colors - silver, gold, rose gold, dark black, piano black
  • IPX7 water resistance (this is what the Apple Watch is)
  • No headphone jack; Lighting Earpods and Lighting to 3.5mm adapter in-box
  • Earpiece is a full speaker for true stereo
  • Pressure-sensitive click-less home button with haptic feedback (similar to MacBooks)
  • Wide color display (using iPad Pro 9.7" tech)
  • Dual-lens camera on Plus
  • Upgraded rear flash with 4 LEDs
  • Upgraded proximity sensor (possible)
  • FeliCa NFC support for Japanese models
There's been some others bouncing around (including a blue color), but those are the from the best source. And that's not including any iOS 10 changes that haven't been revealed. I wouldn't say it's as minor as people have been harping, but I also don't see myself upgrading from my 6S.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wireless*

*Except for the wires going to the chargers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Auron posted:

I really have no reason to upgrade from my iPhone 6...unless the new phones have screens that don't explode with any little impact. I've gone through two 6's because of the fragile screen.

Have you considered not playing hockey with your phones?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

I predict there will be magsafe-style analog audio out pins like on the edge of my old-rear end nexus 7. That would preserve the waterproofing rating and lets them sell a $39 thumbnail size 3.5 adapter, which is the essence of all things apple.
There's been rumors on and off about the 7+ having the Smart Connector from the iPad Pro. It could theoretically be used for audio out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Hey Siri all the time and it's good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Auron posted:

I'm actually pretty careful with my phones, I think I might just have bad luck. The first time, my phone fell out of my pocket when getting out of the car at the gas station, landed on its back side without a case on, and the screen shattered. The second time I had a case on, I dropped it while sitting on a weight bench, landed on the corner of the phone on a padded floor, and once again the screen shattered.
Shattering is the result of a number of drops and impacts. You just got unlucky that the "slight" drops are the ones that actually broke the iPhone's screen.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

its actually really bad
Actually I disagree

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Without any headphones jack, how am I/we supposed to continue using the Square card-swipe dongle :ohdear: I bring in 10-11k a month using that...
You probably get their updated Lightning reader or you continue using the equipment you already have that works fine. Or you get yourself a cheap Android with a cheap plan with a small portion of that $10-11k (if you're on any modern plan, you should be able to add a second device to it for a small monthly fee and share the data).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

This is me in a nutshell. It sucks but we shouldn't blame Spotify, that's Tay being kind of a bitch.

I am kind of a Spotify evangelist. I pay for Spotify for me, my gf, a friend, and my parents. Spotify dynamic playlists and Discover Weekly are loving great.

Does Apple Music have anything similar? Also does Apple Music have lyrics? I got real mad when Spotify removed their lyrics option.

iOS 10 adds a weekly "My New Music" playlist and there's lyrics, though I'm not sure they were there in iOS 9.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The new wireless earphones look okay. Will they work with Android phones? Or did apple decide to go special snowflake and break compatibility?

Not sure how you can break compatibility with something they were never compatible with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

yeah that never worked

oh wait
I see you got the wired wireless headphones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ufarn posted:

So is the release schedule:

Even year:
iPhone X
iPhone X+

Odd year:
iPhone XS
iPhone XS+

Somewhere in the middle: iPhone XES?

Well, we don't know if there will be another SE in the future, and Apple has never been one to keep doing a thing just because, so it's entirely possible they'll drop the S models next year (which seems to be the rumor since it'll be the 10th anniversary of the iPhone).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple case also funnels the speaker and mic onto the front of the case and there's no guarantee those will line up properly, either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Unlikely. Here is what will happen
Monday 9/12 people will get shipped notifications for overnight shipping via fedex/ups/etc..

Tuesday 9/3 people will post OMG its out for delivery, or Its in my hometown!

Tuesday 9/3 evening People will post wtf apple, why is ups holding the phone till friday!

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the 3-4 weeks projected deliveries, which almost always end up getting delivered earlier than initially projected.

EDIT: Ordered a Jet Black 128 GB. Guess I'll get it when I get it.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 9, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

io_burn posted:

These loving brand new wireless Beats they just showed off at the keynote don't charge over Lightning and use a USB cable instead? Seems real weird.

They want to sell them to everyone, not just Apple users.

(I realize it would ship with a Lightning cable, but everyone has micro-USB sitting around.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay that is weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

verdigris murder posted:

iPhones are basically pre/live and post ironic dolls for men, whereas women use them for trolling Grindr and posting Instagram pictures of their tits.

I don't think women use Grindr...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think he means a thing to keep it in place. Maybe the company that makes these can make them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also an authentications/DAC chip in there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

They're $9. You can just l leave them attached to your favorite headphones.

Yeah, the bigger issue is when I want to use the 3.5mm plug rather than the Lightning plug. It would be nice to not have to worry about misplacing the dongle. It's not a huge deal, really.

Anyway, I emailed Cozy and they said to watch for the CourageCozy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

Good guess.

While it's the first time I've ever missed release day when pre-ordering. Must be heavily supply constrained.

I'm actually more concerned that I have some travel that I can't change late next week. If they ship it early, I don't want it left on my doorstep for 3 days.
Also, once I saw it I really wanted that camera to use on the trip!

Hopefully if it does ship early, whatever carrier they use will honor the "hold for signature" sign I put up for such things.
Whether FedEx or UPS, you can have them hold it at a local store for you to pick up when you get back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FedEx in my neighborhood won't even leave an Apple package that says NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED, which is really annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The terms of the Verizon one said you have to keep the same device, I believe, though I might have been misinterpreting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They won't let you get it any earlier than your scheduled time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flipoff posted:

My phone has shipped today, will be here Wednesday. Original delivery window of 10/4-10/10.

This is good to know. Means mine should be in the next wave of shipments (10/10-10/17)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Those people would look more privileged than I would if I have to show my face in public with a 5C.

Tim has seen your posts and wants you to suffer for your whining.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

A chat person at Apple said to me that was impossible and everyone with dates that late was lying on the internet. LOL.

Despite that showing up EVERYWHERE.

Sadly, my 9/9 order on Apple (ordered at 12:09pm) with a ship date of 9/27-29 has been Preparing for SHipment for like 5 days now and no status update whatsoever. People with the exact same configuration as me who have original dates of October are getting their phones bumped up to today, tomorrow, wednesday, etc...

That's funny. When I called Apple to try to change my address (AT&T didn't have my apartment number for some reason, which I have since changed), the rep said it was the earliest she had seen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think I may cancel my jet black 7 and get a black 7+ and join the hugephone revolution. But I worry I may regret not having jet black.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really wish they had made the rumored bluephone.

Maybe next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good news! My order is preparing for shipment!

In just five days I'll have my sweet, sweet black Lightning dock!

• Locked thread