Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ending to PLvsAA is not only bad, its a combination of extremely long winded and desperate to tell you every single nuance to the backstory as though by half-way into the dull exposition you weren't just slamming the skip text button as fast as you could. Like absolutely none of the detail is important, nor is how any of it works because its all stupid, and since you only just started having specific odd things to ask about having it all dumped in your lap is unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, all three Apollo Justice games will be on one system.

Now give me the edgeworth games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Disclaimer: The nostalgia doesn't include Gumshoe. hosed up but true.

Gumshoe is dead, let him rest in peace.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

I like Ema more than Gumshoe to be honest, but they're both great.

When is Franziska coming back?

Whenever they release the Ace Attorney Tactics RPG

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ema rules and I chose to believe Gumshoe is still alive and doing a bad job due to Edgeworth and Wright's chat about Edgeworth's past as an investigator and the inside source whose pay Edgeworth can cut is Gumshoe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gumshoe is now Chief of leaking documents to the defense attorney, and as such he no longer has time to investigate specific cases.

He and Edgeworth do 3 for 1 drink night at the book store as its the only way Edgeworth can convince people to hang out with him and its the only way Gumshoe can afford drinks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Ace Attorney Investigations World Tour.

2: Super Turbo Championship Edition

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

phoenix wright and miles edgeworth's adopted son has a saying, if something smells, it's gotta be the gumshoe

If Phoenix and Edgeworth dont retire to run an orphanage together its like I dont even know this couple.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For all its flaws I really liked AAI1, but I also really like edgeworth and gumshoe.

Capcom I would play your insanely Japnese spinoff too. I love anime lawyering and I dont care who knows.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

So am I a idiot for not figuring out that (5-1 investigation spoilers) they wanted me to have one of the orb puzzle box things between two pieces? Because that feels kinda mean to not at least have it be a hint.

No, I had to look it up because I didn't even realize you could do that and thought you could only move it in increments of two. The treasure would have been safe from me, so I guess the security works.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

Athena is not part of the little sister squad, though she could stand to have more characters associated with her and some solo stories.

Everybody gets three game arcs so lets enjoy the next 3 games all about Athena.

Hopefully we travel to "Europe" a lot in that one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, Nick works as the established boss character and the new attorney should get the main crux of the story. But we also havent somehow finished the Apollo/Trucy plot so whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Ace Attorney 7 should have a 100 year timeskip and take place on a space colony.

Eat you Neo Kobe Pizza, 4poll-0

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get me investigations on the switch, dammit!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The next Phoenix Wright is going to be 50% courtroom cases with Phoenix and 50% dating sim where you play as Trucey and gotta help Phoenix get laid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mabels big day posted:

ok the new game takes place during the period of phoenix's disbarment but he's doing underground lawyer work that he never mentioned at all to apollo and told nobody about and also he teams up with gumshoe

Here on the mean streets of Japanafornia, its Object or be Objected.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beating the final boss felt less like I defeated him than I had gone 10 rounds and barely won by decision with the head writer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fractalairduct posted:

Not gonna happen, iirc Capcom and Level-5 hated working with each other.

Whoever wrote the ending was the one who was wrong.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

So, I'm trying to get back into Spirit of Justice, which I put down because I was really over the lovely prosecutor, and now I'm probably really over it because I can see the contradiction but I'm apparently pointing out the wrong thing or presenting it during the wrong testimony and this abortion of a mechanic Insight is as stupid as that music video bullshit in AA4

Insight is complete trash and I used a guide with zero shame for all of them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If she comes back, she should be a supporting character to the new prosecutor, who is her protege. I just decided this.

Kameleon von Karma

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope they announce a sequel to the best game in the series, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a health bar? Wait do people play these games by not constantly save and reloading???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apollo's arc is over and he should only appear in spinoff titles so I can get an Athena trilogy of games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MechaX posted:

"Defend Kiryu Kazuma on the stand as he's being accused of murder, in addition to 582 counts of assault, 1180 counts of assault with a deadly weapon, public intoxication, and property damage"

The only good joke in Project X Zone 2 and honestly the whole game should have just ended there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Hah ok. That's my only complain but it kinda makes things even funnier.

The Japanese court system is like the US, prosecutors have unbelievable amounts of leeway to shove lovely evidence to trial and an absurd amount of chances to contort their evidence to fit. A defending attorneys single greatest achievement is convincing their client not to sign a confession and actually defending their client at trial is a distant second.

Basically your objective is to assume a prosecutor did enough due diligence to build a case but not enough to make it airtight; they just went with whatever was easiest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya I remember reading some article that the conviction rate in Japan absurdly high, so if you get trialed you almost always lose.

I mean the US conviction rate is extremely high for the same reasons; people confess to stuff all the time and something absurd like 1/3 of all people who confess to crimes didnt do it. Its not a uniquely japanese thing.

If you are american and the police want to talk to you for literally any reason, and I mean any, the only thing you say "I am invoking my miranda rights and would like a lawyer present on my behalf before we continue speaking".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Google wont do anything or care

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want more english ace attormey you sick fucks at capcom. Six seasons and two* spinoffs in english arent enough.

*Harvey Birdman rules so Im counting it

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 18, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not only does Layton bullshit run wild everywhere, seriously the end of the game is like an hour long uninterupted cutscene to painstakingly explain the games mysteries, but it has a severe BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner issue where one guys power is "Good at lawyering" and the other guys power is "Infalliably correct about everything".

The court mechanic was neat and it showed you could make a kickass phoenix wright game in a fantasy setting where you have to learn the rules of the world as you play instead of being stuck in a "realistic" world

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive tried really hard to like the Layton games but even in Lady Layton there just isnt enough personality to keep me going through "look we both know that my explanation for how this bullshit happened is so ridiculous that its less satisfying than if I just said a wizard did it" plot and then the puzzles just exist. Like even the story ones have rarely anything to do with whats happening in the story much less the dozens of side ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Isn't the ending of one of them you were super high the whole time and imagining it all?

Thats basically all of them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Luke is too smart in this clip

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Also after finishing this game will I be able to represent myself in court if I accidentally get accused of murder? If not gently caress this game.

Only if accused of crimes in Japanafornia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alternately youre percieving how they feel at the bench rather than strictly the exact literal thing thats occuring. Would could be a non insult gets distorted out of proportion or a friendly barb a scathing attack. The game touches gently on this because when you play as Phoenix youre constantly sweating and self doubting but other characters are impressed by Phoenix's steel demeanor and unflappableness.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just want Trucy and Maya to be able to hang out with Apollo and not be accused of murder while that happens.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merilan posted:

What're my options if I want to try Great Ace Attorney?

Buy on android device, install patch. Done.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spirit of Justice has weaker prosecutors and its new gimmick to trials is the worst thing in the series since "press every statement, then press again because itll be different somehow now". I cannot stress how much I did not like the seance and I just pulled up a guide for all of them to power through it.

That said though its final case rules because its genuine character development that I was slightly surprised about and would be happy to explore in a future spinoff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Spirit of Justice does a good job sidestepping the issue in a neat way and I demand a post SoJ Apollo spinoff.

Shame the prosecutor sucks all the way through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gumshoe went back to his home planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah they have to be self confident or mean or ideally both so you want to knock their teeth in instead feeling bad for them as you crush them in every case.